Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

Default When are you no longer "fat"

I wanted to get your perspectives on when you cross that line from "fat" to "normal" weight. Is it by BMI, body fat %, waist circumference, clothes size or something else?

What do you use to evaluate if you are obese, overweight or normal. Is overweight "fat"?
cosmic wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 280/278/180

Height: 5'8"

I have no idea. I've been fat so long I don't know what normal is anymore.
Only Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #3  
Unstoppable Force

S/C/G: 225/ticker/137

Height: 5'6"

This BMI calculator has an interesting feature: it tells you your weight percentile, or how your weight compares to that of other people.

At my current weight, I'm overweight but I'm in the 47th percentile, meaning about half the people in the world are heavier than me and the other half are thinner.

Of course, BMI is a highly subjective (and oft debated) form of measurement. And how you look at certain weight depends a lot on your build, shape, fat-to-muscle ratio, etc. That being said, I find the weight percentile thing very interesting.

Personally, I think I'm going to call this weight loss journey DONE when I no longer feel blobbish and lumpish and jiggly. For me, it's more a matter of fitness and muscle-to-fat ratio than a number on a scale or a size tag.

Last edited by Novus; 09-07-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Novus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #4  

When I was a kid I was told women should weigh 100 pounds at 5 feet and for every inch above that add 5 pounds. This may or may not correspond to ideal weight charts, but for some reason I've never forgotten this "formula".

This is a good website for finding out how your weight compares to other women:

www dot halls.md/body-mass-index/bmi.htm

A good goal would be to be at the 50th percentile or less than other ladies of your age & height.

So, for me I look at ideal weight charts, BMI and percentile rank. All those numbers will vary, but they're in the ballpark.
earthecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #5  
DFTBA

Height: 160cm

The day I'm no longer "fat" is the day I can sit down without my stomach making itself known by jutting out! And when my fitness level doesn't interfere with everyday life!
Emula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM   #6  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emula View Post
The day I'm no longer "fat" is the day I can sit down without my stomach making itself known by jutting out! And when my fitness level doesn't interfere with everyday life!
^^^^
This
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/ticker/117 HW - 174

Height: 5 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emula View Post
The day I'm no longer "fat" is the day I can sit down without my stomach making itself known by jutting out!
So true . This is my mindset and I'm oh so close to being there.
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 249/ticker/145

Height: 5' 5"

Great inputs...really like that calculator. Looking at all the "tools" they conflict each other.

Im focusing on my body fat percentage vs the scale and clothes sizes. Would like to be about 27%. Im curvy and I want my boobs and butt intact

Keep it coming..
cosmic wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #9  
beautiful bright soul :)

S/C/G: 296 / 171 / 150

What an interesting question! I'm surprised I've never actually considered it at depth!

I am nowhere near "no longer fat", but I wonder if it might become a combination of factors. That is, personally, I can't imagine it being just one thing, but I think this is something that depends upon each individual.

I just want to know that it will be possible for me to not feel fat. I've been fat my entire life, so I suspect it might be quite an interesting experience...

Last edited by belovedspirit; 09-07-2013 at 01:08 PM.
belovedspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #10  

Location: Anchorage AK in the summer, Lawrence KS and travel in the winter

S/C/G: High 285+ 256/ticker/160ish

Height: 5'6"

For me "not fat" will be when I look decent in clothes, wear an easily bought misses size size 10-12ish, when I'm fit enough to do the things I'm already doing with ease, when other people see me and not a fat person. That's what I'm aiming at.
vintagecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #11  
Aloha nui loa

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic wisdom View Post
What do you use to evaluate if you are obese, overweight or normal. Is overweight "fat"?

It depends on who you ask. For me, yes, I think overweight is fat. Not everyone will agree.

While BMI is somewhat antiquated and not always the most accurate measure, I prefer (in my case, as I am not a huge muscle bound athlete) to go by it.
MauiKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #12  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

Novus, that calculator with the percentiles is really interesting - thanks. I'm stuck right at the 50th percentile right now - which means I'm close to "average" for my height. This is good motivation for me, because I like trying to be better than average.

On the other hand, the site notes elsewhere,
Quote:
Did you know that over half of American adults are overweight (55%)? Apparently so, according to the CDC criteria applied to the NHANES III survey. Thus, it is possible to be labeled as overweight, even if your weight is below the 50th percentile.
Scary that you can weigh less than the majority and still be overweight in this country - that definitely does start to blur the lines of "fat" and "not-fat."
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #13  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I wonder how accurate the percentile data is. For my age, I'm in the 25th percentile for height, which is just jaw dropping to me. As an "older mother" most of the women I know are younger, so I really have no basis for comparison.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #14  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Trust me when I say that being overweight according to the BMI is not being "fat".

I am still overweight according to that and am aiming for normal.

But I am no longer fat. I am sh!t skinny.

BMI sucks. But I will conquer it, just for the **** of it.

Last edited by IanG; 09-08-2013 at 10:14 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #15  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by newleaf123 View Post
I wonder how accurate the percentile data is. For my age, I'm in the 25th percentile for height, which is just jaw dropping to me. As an "older mother" most of the women I know are younger, so I really have no basis for comparison.
I wondered the same thing, mine said 14th and I'm very surprised. Maybe because I live in a beach town, but I see many people in really good shape.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote