South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 10-27-2017, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/176/130

Height: 5'3"

Default HELP! Losing faith, battling PCOS

Hi, all,
I found this forum years ago and it saved me. I found the South Beach diet, a great antidote to the PCOS weight that wouldn't budge. I took the weight off. Kept it off for nearly 2 years.

Then... I walked into a bakery one day to get something for a friend, and... here I am years later back at original weight and then some.

I am back on South Beach. However, the weight is much more stubborn this time. This is the worst time emotionally possible to be on this diet, but it's necessary, so I must figure out a way. But I seem to have hit a wall. I'm chasing the same 1 pound or so up and down the scale. And I'm being faithful to the plan. But after a week or so of chasing it, I get frustrated, and I fall off. I put on several pounds. I start the plan all over, get that back off and then... boom, back to chasing that same pound. It's like my body won't move any lower than this weight, which isn't a healthy weight.

I've been really frustrated bc this isn't a great diet for me, but I don't know how to lose on PCOS any other way than severely reduced carbs. (In fact, I've never been able to go to phase 2 until I've hit goal weight. Bc as soon as I do Phase 2... I pack on weight.)

I don't know what I'm looking for here... but I'm just so incredibly frustrated and it feels kind of hopeless. And I don't have anyone else in my life who gets this struggle. Docs are no help. "Take Metformin!" But I can't tolerate it.

Any advice? Has this happened to anyone? Is there another way with PCOS?

Thanks for listening.
scorpgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/214/160

Height: 5'5

Hello scopgril11,

PCOS can be tricky, I had always had symptoms but was never told it was PCOS. At age 17 I was told to take birth control pills to regulate my period, but coming from a very Catholic family my mom was against it. After I got married we kept trying to get pregnant and it took me 8years. My doctor told me that because I was irregular it was harder for me to get pregnant and started me on some pills for a diabetic even though I wasn't diabetic, two months later I was pregnant. 12 years later I found out about PCOS and symptoms and I noticed had most of them. Last, year they tested me but I was told it was not PCOS.

I know for me like for most of the people that has PCOS a low carb diet helps me not only to lose weight but it also helps me with my symptoms. When I did SBD the first time (8years ago) I lost 40lbs and was feeling great. I slowly started adding more carbs and sweets and in no time I gained all the weight and some more. Since then I been yoyo dieting I loose 5/10 lbs and gain them back. What I learned this year is the reason I gain those lbs back is because slowly I go back to my old eating habits.

I learned that in order for me to lose weight and keep it off I needed to cut my carbs and sweets but I also needed to increase my fats and my proteins. I am not gluten intolerant, but I also noticed that if I go gluten free, I lose weight faster and feel better. This time it is taking me longer, compared to the first time and that is normal.

You need to make sure you are not eating too little because you might lose a lb but then you will have your body in starvation mode, meaning when you eat the next time your body will hold on most of the calories and that is why you don't lose. Also when you increase you fat and protein content, you will feel more satisfied and you will have less hunger/craving.

In SBD is easy to eat very little specially if you are in PH1. Sometimes, you'll go into ketosis and you will stated to feel fuller and not wanted to eat, it is very important that you eat all our meals. I will recommend you to keep a journal, that way you can track what do you eat and at what times. Did you eat a fat and protein with every meal? How much water? When you have cravings what are you doing and how are you feeling. If you cut carbs do you feel better, does the scale goes down?

Feel free to send a message, I also need all the accountability I can get. We can do it together!

The ladies in this forum are very nice, they have been in this journey for a long time. I am sure they will have better suggestions than me, I am learning as I go.
Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/176/130

Height: 5'3"

Hi, Sorry for the delay. I keep locking myself out of my account. lol.

I do keep a journal. And I do eat a fat and a protein at every meal. I likely don't drink enough water. Never have. But that's not new, and it didn't thwart me last time.

Last time being low carb really did make me feel better. I slept better, was less tired. This time... I'm exhausted all the time, which last time I did this... I noticed that I'd get that way when I had carbs. But this time, so few carbs, and I'm like that pretty much all the time. The cravings... they're not especially connected to anything. I remember last time I did this I had bad cravings until I'd been on a certain amount of time, and even then periodically they'd just rear their head.

What's different this time is that when the scale is talking back (which it didn't do before), I find it hard to withstand them.

Right now, I'm off the wagon. Friday, I'm getting back on again. Fingers crossed.
scorpgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote