Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-10-2017, 07:41 PM   #1  
Workin' It

Default I Am The One Thing In Life I Can Control! Maintainers Fall and Winter Chat

New thread!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Great title! Thanks for starting.

Knee deep in book fair week. Going well but can’t wait for it to end.

I’m sorry you felt lonely during the holidays, Dagmar.

Congrats JayEll on your retirement and your publishing!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:11 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Lovely news about your poetry, JayEll.

Michele, I've just seen a tweet from Clare Jones‏ @Illessa : "It's important to categorise your children's books accurately". The pic shows some categories: indomitable orphans, rodent as hero, books with bears. I thought it was a great idea. I'd add a category like 'rain and freezing cold'.

I've got a new idea about my weight loss which I worked out after input from the Beck Diet board. In brief, I have a mental image of a Big Picture with a wonderfully ornate, gilded frame like you see in national art collections or country houses. I like boundaries a lot and I also love picture frames. The frame is around my eating, exercising, sleep and life. Some things I do not allow in my Big Picture. These are ‘not about me’ and they are kept well outside the frame. Luckily, the frame is big enough and strong enough and ornate enough to keep them out. Some things (like fast food and alcohol) don’t tempt me at all and other things simply don’t fit into the composition and would spoil it.

I'm backing it up with a more conscious summoning up, at different challenging moments, of particular individuals I've met here when I know they have something really useful to say. Being able to imagine you, having you next to me, is going to be a huge help.

On with the day which is rainy, windy and mild.

Last edited by silverbirch; 10-11-2017 at 05:13 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for starting the new thread Birchie.

Interesting idea about the picture frame. Glad you figured out something which suits your particular situation and mindset.

I'm the opposite. I have been shoved into containment for over half my life. I think my vision of my life would be me on the SUP facing the wide open water and sky, without fear or anxiety about what I'm going to do out there all alone.

I will find a way to use that I think. No idea how yet.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #5  
in development

It wasn't me! It was the wonderful Shannon who just moved ahead of the pack and did it. Nifty move, Shannon. All that training's paying off!

Love your wide open view, Dagmar. I'd love to hear how you use it.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:37 AM   #6  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Shannon, thanks for the title of this thread, which I will read at least once every morning and which, perhaps, I will take to heart.

I need it this morning, as I'm at 163, where I didn't want to be.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good morning.

Weight high, but exercising is good and so is the diet. I don't feel as if there is really much more I can do in either category, so it'll be interesting to talk to my doctor on Friday. Too many things to discuss this year and weight will definitely be one of them.

We're getting really close to getting the house completed. The floors are completely done (I had the crew back Friday to take care of a bunch of pick-up items). The painters came yesterday to fix a couple spots (although they missed one in my son's room, so DH will do that). The tile guy is coming today to work on some grout issues in the master shower. Last night we picked up our guest bed frame that was being refinished and finally got the guest room back up (with new comforter set)--just in time for DD and SIL who are coming Monday to take care of the animals while we're in Hawaii. DH still has a couple little things to do (new hinges on our master shower door, fix the kitchen faucet, the little painting, and working on the living room tables. Once all that is done, we wait for our new living room furniture to be delivered, but that won't be until December.

And my sister-in-law and BIL are moving here this weekend. We'll go over Sunday to help them unload the U-Haul and get them settled (at least partially). They bought an older home that needs work (new flooring, update the kitchen, etc.). MIL arranged for it to be painted this week so at least that part is done for them.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #8  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Shannon, thanks for the new thread! I can't tell you how appropriate that title is for me right now.

JayEll, that's great about your poetry!!

I'm drowning in work right now, everything is crazy. The histology lab I taught yesterday had about ten things go wrong with the integrated projection microscope/WebEx/powerpoint multi-room system. Sigh. Moving on. We're still unpacking boxes - did I mention that 2 days after we moved, I decided to adopt a second dog? I'm clearly insane. So the few moments of rest we've had at home have been interrupted by searches for our new runaway hound - because the new place has no fences and is surrounded by 50 acres of hilly forest. I need my head examined.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Shannon, thanks for the new thread! I can't tell you how appropriate that title is for me right now.

JayEll, that's great about your poetry!!

I'm drowning in work right now, everything is crazy. The histology lab I taught yesterday had about ten things go wrong with the integrated projection microscope/WebEx/powerpoint multi-room system. Sigh. Moving on. We're still unpacking boxes - did I mention that 2 days after we moved, I decided to adopt a second dog? I'm clearly insane. So the few moments of rest we've had at home have been interrupted by searches for our new runaway hound - because the new place has no fences and is surrounded by 50 acres of hilly forest. I need my head examined.
JayZee About adopting the new dog . . . uh yeah your assessment of yourself is appropriate. Not only are you at peak stress but this just adds to it. Stresses an already stressed dog too. A second dog would have been a good idea a year or so down the road. End of criticism - sorry!

Dagmar
Old 10-11-2017, 03:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Shannon, I'll add my thanks for starting the new thread.

JayZeeJay, you need a fenced area more than you need your head examined

JayEll, congrats on retirement AND poetry! My retirement gives me a blissful feeling almost every morning.

Birchie, very interesting idea about the picture and things that would spoil the composition. I like it!

My DH is going to Washington to visit our son and DIL for Thanksgiving. I don't really mind being alone on holidays, but I reached out to a friend who will also be alone on Thanksgiving and made us reservations at the Harris Ranch Thanksgiving buffet. Hope I can lose a couple of pounds before then to provide some cushion!!
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #11  
in development

Alice, I don't know how to choose at the Harris Ranch. Is it carving block or entree or salad? Then choose accompaniment? And then choose from the bakery? I feel adrift when faced with the menu. Have you decided what to have and how do you go about it?

JayZeeJay, I'm feeling rather keen on boundaries at present so my suggestion is fence off an area pronto. The box thing takes ages, years for some people.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #12  
Workin' It

Glad everyone likes the new thread title! And as I'm pretty sure I misquoted what I was trying to say in the title, thanks to the mod that fixed it. I woke up in the middle of the night singing the correct words. And if I actually did do it right, then, woo! It is a lyric that is really speaking to me right now. Glad it speaks to you guys, too.

I've been a little self destructive in my snacking this week. Nothing terrible, no hidden candy like I've done in the past, just too much food. Yesterday I found myself making a slice of bacon and rolling it in a soft corn tortilla with some cheese three times during the day. Still ended the day at about 1775 calories, which is solidly maintenance. Had some pretzels I didn't really want on Monday. A snack bag of doritoes from my property management office last week. That kind of thing. Not a lot, and not taking me too high calorie wise. I'm trying to put my finger on why, what is driving me. I'm at 19 pounds even down since 7/11, and I do have a history of slipping when I am close to a 'milestone' point. I wonder if it is as simple of I opened the door with the doritoes, and walking it back closed is harder. I'm a pretty solid 'on' or 'off' person...

JZJ - fence, definitely. And don't beat yourself up.

Birchie - I like your Big Picture concept. I'm trying to apply it to my current situation as we speak.

Alice - your buffet looks great!

Allison - I'm glad your house is almost done. You guys aren't near the fires, are you?

Michele - I used to love book fair week. LOVED IT.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 10-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #13  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

You are all right, a fence is an excellent idea. The good news is that every time we couldn't locate the new pup (Wolfie), he had gone less than 20 yards away. He was just farting around in dense forest, and didn't come when called (again and again) - and why should he? He doesn't know us yet. I've attached a pic of the new critter. He is an absolute love.

And Dagmar, I couldn't agree more, I begged the rescue to wait at least another few weeks. But he was just dumped by his first family (at the tender age of 11 years), and they wanted to get him in his new "forever home" immediately rather than having him bond with the foster family THEN be handed off to us. I get the principle - one major separation rather than two. But man, did I have a heart attack when we couldn't find him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wolf.jpg (19.4 KB, 13 views)
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
And Dagmar, I couldn't agree more, I begged the rescue to wait at least another few weeks. But he was just dumped by his first family (at the tender age of 11 years), and they wanted to get him in his new "forever home" immediately rather than having him bond with the foster family THEN be handed off to us. I get the principle - one major separation rather than two. But man, did I have a heart attack when we couldn't find him.
I had no idea rescues just dumped dogs on people. But, given my very negative experience when trying to get my own dog, it's not a surprise. A big hand to you for adopting an older dog. It's so hard for them to find homes. And yes, now that I understand the situation a secure fence would be a good idea.

Dagmar
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 AM   #15  
Workin' It

JZJ - such a sweet puppy face! I understand the rescue not wanting to have two transitions for him, those are tough on any dog but more so on older ones I'd imagine.

I have a friend who is fostering three kittens - turns out he and his wife now want to adopt them. The foster group is excited for them to adopt them, but says he is officially called a "foster fail". LOL