Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat and Support 2017 pt 3

Do you have Diabetes, or have you been told you have Prediabetes? If so, join our discussion here.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #2  

We are entering a difficult season for Diabetics. Halloween is in a few days and it's always hard to avoid the candy, either what we're passing out for Trick or Treat, or what our children are bringing home. Then there's the festive holidays coming up with a lot of food and treats we only have once a year.

Here we can discuss how we are going to handle it.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

fatmad Thanks for sharing about turning the foot out some for the knee to turn. I am very careful when walking, however, I have noticed of late that when I go to turn that some time my foot does not always turn. I noticed years ago that was what was happening with my step-mom when she would almost fall. I have been blessed to be balanced enough to keep from falling or near something I could grab. Learning to turn my foot a little in the direction I want to go will be very helpful and also be very good for my knees. I will practice that with both feet. Perhaps that is why I sometimes feel like I have twisted my knee but don't remember ever doing so.

Halloween candy. I know it is always my down fall so with my new way of eating, I just count it into my daily calories. I'm not being deprived and it isn't bothering my weight or bs. I have never had problems during Thanksgiving or Christmas because I usually eat only one meal and plan ahead so that I don't overeat any food. I take a small helping (usually a couple of bites) of my favorite foods and then just stop. I usually end up eating one meal that day. Last year when I did Thanksgiving here at my house, I fixed a plate and ended up leaving to visit someone who had come in and realized a few days ago when talking to my sister, I never got to eat that food. Either the girls threw it out when they cleaned up or someone took it and ate it. LOL. I never missed it or realized it until about a week ago.

I've decided to do Thanksgiving here again this year for all my nieces and nephews and local grands if they can come.

FBS and weight is still steadily coming down even though I had Chinese food yesterday. Things are finally moving in the right direction.

Have a great day.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #4  

Trish, I'm glad you're finding a WOE that works for you. I too eat a piece of candy now and then. I know which ones I just can't buy, like Hershey's kisses, which I can't stop eating.

I usually cook for Thanksgiving so it's easy for me to plan my meal. I allow myself one indulgence, and it's usually stuffing since that's something I rarely get. I can have mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes anytime. My family like sweet potatoes candied and I prefer them baked, so they are easy for me to pass up. And pie...well once in a while I will have a small piece, but I'm not much of a sweet eater and usually don't.

I'm hoping to end the year with a lower number on the scale and also the blood glucose meter.

I have noticed that sometimes if I turn my foot outward a bit my tendon pain doesn't hurt as much. It's not completely gone. Still nags a little bit, but not like it did and I'm hoping that it's gradually getting better. I bought some orthotics at Walmart that I put in one pair of shoes and have been wearing them at home instead of the soft ones I was wearing. My feet just need more support.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:27 AM   #5  

This morning my FBG was 134. Last night I had 2 pieces of candy and a few pretzels, so it might have been lower without those indulgences. I am still taking very small doses of Glimiperide to help me out, but have not had full dose for several days. I hope to continue with the lower dose and eventually get off it completely.

No breakfast yet today and no hunger...just coffee. Last night for dinner I had a delicious steak and some roasted vegetables. I've been waiting for the weather to get cold enough to put the oven on for them, although I think I could probably cook them on the grill, too. I also had a piece of DH's baked potato, for a taste. Moderation. I sometimes think if I stop with the little tastes I will lose interest in them, but I don't want to get into so much deprivation that I end up binging. I could easily eat 2 baked potatoes at one meal, as I have done that in the past. Having the small piece gives me a taste so I don't feel deprived. It's so hard to figure out what would be best for me.

I am still avoiding the scale. I really don't want to see a 2 again, so I'll weigh when I "feel" thin. LOL

I hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:03 PM   #6  

Carol Sue I believe allowing ourselves the taste will keep us from falling into a binge because we really, really wanted it. I have heard the 1st bite or 2 is the best taste and after that we are just eating.

Years ago I worked with a very thin lady who said she had once weighed 200 lbs. It was hard to believe it looking at her. She said she would take a spoonful of each food on the table and that was all she ate. Now that is self-discipline. Later, I heard about the story of someone else who only ate a couple of bites of a food because it really didn't taste that good after the 2 or 3 bite.

Well allowing myself the Halloween candy has worked for me. Today the thought of eating a piece of candy actually feels sickening. No desire for any more of it. All the little trick or treaters will get the rest of it. Problem solved without any temptations. LOL

Weight was up a little, but previous doc said 2 lbs is no big deal. It will go away maybe by tomorrow. I get those bounces sometime. FBS was 148 so that is still good. I am very pleased with the way things are going.

Cleaned out my closet to give some clothes to the Goodwill or Salvation Army and it doesn't look like I did anything. I kept some of the clothes I want to wear as I lose to get into them. Setting goals. I would love to get through the holidays with a weight loss for when I go back to doctor in January. It is official, I am doing Thanksgiving so I can control a lot of the food. My niece cooks very healthy and I will enlist her and her Mama to help me cook. Most of the family will go be with their mates families and just come by to visit not to eat unless they eat dessert. I usually just set things up and everyone can help themselves. I babysat most of them when they were babies so they feel at home and I like that.

I have 3 weeks to get my house cleaned up and organized for it because I want a week to rest up and cook.

Everybody have a great day.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #7  

Trish, that sounds like a good idea for Thanksgiving. After my MIL passed away, I started hosting Thanksgiving so that anyone who wanted to get together could, and no one had to spend Thanksgiving alone. After a few years my SIL kept hounding me that she wanted to do it, so finally I let her. She did it one year and then stopped. Since that time my step children have been spending TG with their inlaws and DH and I have been just having a restful day at home. My step-daughter and her husband stop over for dessert and to take home some leftovers. I just don't feel up to doing it anymore. This year I don't know how my foot is going to be feeling, and also, DH hasn't been feeling well, so I'm not going to plan it unless my step-children want to come. Other family members can make their own plans. I cook a turkey and the sides even if we don't have company but it doesn't have to be so fancy if it's just for us and there's no rush to get it done by a certain time, either.

DH bought Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Peanut Butter Cups and Mounds miniatures. The Mounds are the only ones I like, so once they are gone I will be off the Halloween Candy! He and the kids can have the rest.

I think having a bite or two of each food is a great idea!

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-26-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #8  

I had a bad day today. I started the day off eating carbs. DH made some Ramen noodles for lunch and I ate some of them. I had some rotisserie chicken breast with it, hoping to offset the carbs. Then I had a couple pieces of Halloween candy. Then DH wanted potato pancakes for dinner, and I ate some of them. So it has been a high carb day for me and my blood sugar is once again up over 200. Sad day, but my own fault. Apparently I cannot continue to eat carbs, as they just make me crave more carbs. As often as I think I can do it, I end up proving that I can't.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 PM   #9  

Carol Sue I don't know how big your servings were, but you probably did eat more than you can handle. I know that is what I do sometimes. You will do better tomorrow.

My day has been fairly good, but could have been better. I didn't count my starchy carbs today so that was probably a big mistake.

Catch you tomorrow.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #10  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I had an off day on Wednesday, but yesterday did really well on plan, but then had a granola bar with tea in the late evening. Haven't checked to see how I am doing on the scale, I expect not well. Things are not moving well through my gut.

I am thinking about what to give out for Hallowe'en. On the one hand, I am excited about the night, since we are in town, and townhouse developments get lots of kids (easier to go house to house) and its more fun with lots of kids coming. On the other hand, the candy..... oh yes, that could be a challenge.

Thinking of buying a bag of sugar free treats. Sadly, even treats with stevia or splenda usually are mostly sweetened with maltilol, and we all know what that can do. So maybe I will make some individual cheesecakes (in cupcake tin) with my own sweeteners and enjoy that instead.

I am off for a week, the idea being to get unpacked at the new place, and finish things and clean up at the old place. But of course I have added in some social events...

Plan for today includes a big walk with the dog.
Did I tell you that DD got herself a rescue dog a few weeks ago? they have now moved into the townhouse, and we quite love the little beast. She's a blue heeler (Australian cattle dog) and very gentle and quiet, about 3 years old. She is very attached to DD, but is good with DH and me. So exercise on the menu today, and then some house stuff.

have a great day everyone
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #11  

Mad, that's great that you can now enjoy passing out treats for Halloween. I suggest getting something you don't like. LOL

And congratulations on having the doggie move in. We have had dogs since I met DH, at least one, and sometimes two at a time. They are great companions and give unconditional love. They do require some work, though but the walks will be good exercise.

Trish, the thing is, my portions of each item were not big except for the Ramen Noodles, which I love. It was just the fact that everything I ate yesterday was sugar or carb, back to my old days of eating. I thought I could eat it and move on, but apparently not. It was a mistake to pass up my scrambled eggs at my first meal. They seem to satisfy me so well and keep my craving to a minimum. I just had them this morning, and hope to do much better today.

I woke up during the night around 3:30 and tested BG, since I had taken Glimiperide and it's so easy to have a hypo with it. I was at 97. I didn't panic, because it had been so many hours since I had taken it I didn't think it would go lower. At 7 BG was at 122, which is more like what I usually get. I just hated having that 200 to go against my next A1c.
Old 10-27-2017, 01:13 PM   #12  

fatmad I know you will be glad to get things finished with the other house so you can settle into your new home. Walking the dog will help keep your exercise going later when settled in.

Carol Sue I understand about the A1c reading. DH has his 3 month appointment today while I have a bone density test and we both get our flu shots. What I eat the next 3 months has a lot to do with how my A1c reading will be in January. I've learned a lot the last 3 months about how I need to eat etc.

My weight has been inching back up and my FBS was 153 this morning. I've decided that the house work exercise doesn't help my blood sugar readings at all. I haven't done the bike a lot this week and I believe that has been a mistake. I didn't wait (which is an accomplishment for me), I started back to my 20 minutes on the bike today. I've been thinking about the CAD plan too and I had a CM (Low carb) omelet this morning... no bread.

I realized today that the problem I had with CAD's RM was all the carbs I was eating. However, I realize now that some of those carbs were NOT starchy carbs. They were dairy or fruit. So I'm going back to the CAD using the rules of the Low Carb for Dummies. That seems to give me structure, but it will be my rules since we have learned that some of the foods they don't allow are still good and act low carb rather than a high carb. I will only eat higher carb foods within the 1 hr RM. I knew if I could figure out how and why CAD works that I could make it work for me. I will see how this goes. I'm just willing to lose the progress I have mad with the A1c.

I tell you, Birds Eye ricced cauliflower and the frozen chopped onion/bell pepper blends and greens makes it so easy to make a great tasting omelet without any starchy carbs and it really fills me up.

Got to go get ready to go to doc office. Have a great day.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #13  

Trish, I agree that housework exercise does not help with blood sugar and I think it's because it is start and stop, rather than steady exercise. My friend who lost the weight has walked for 194 days in a row. Now she had to go to the dermatologist to have something removed from her leg and he told her she could not walk for a month. She is so disappointed because she has to break her record. She can walk around the house, but not the long hilly walk she takes outside. I think that walk is what is controlling her blood sugar so well, even though she has really cut her carbs and lost weight. I told her to do some seated leg exercises at home to keep herself in shape. She does not have any exercise equipment. She also lives in a townhouse and is constantly up and down the stairs.

I did very well with my food today after yesterday's fiasco. I had scrambled eggs with tomato slices for brunch. Then I a half cup of yogurt around lunch, then for dinner I had fried fish and cole slaw, with 5 of DH's french fries. At 1 1/2 hour after dinner my blood sugar was 150, so I'm happy with that. I have been trying to eat some yogurt every day to help with potty issues. I had a bit of a problem today but then I realized what caused it. I bought some low carb protein bars and they contain sugar alcohols. The sugar alcohols did me in. LOL I don't want to waste them, so I will try eating just a little piece now and then.

I like to put frozen kale in my scrambled eggs. Green eggs, but no ham. LOL
Old 10-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #14  

Carol Sue Glad you did better today. I have to. I think going back on CAD has helped. Not counting anything because I know if I only do 2 meals and a small low carb snack if I need it later all will be well. I've decided if I get hungry, I can have a scrambled egg or some yogurt.

DH doctor's appointment went very well. The doc switched him to Eloquist and Farxiga. Not sure I spelled either of those right. He told me that if I want to he could put me on Victoza when I go for my visit in January. I'm going to work at keeping it down without the meds, but at least I know he already had Victoza in mind. They think that Victoza and Farxiga are good for protecting from strokes and heart problems. We talked about how surprising it was that they got rid of Jardiance and kept Invokana since they know that Invokana is a risk for losing limbs. Any way, he has it covered.

DH A1c had been 9.? when we were there last time and it was down to 7.5 and he told DH that he wants him to keep it at that and lower would be better. He also said that DH cholesterol was way down, but that the good cholesterol is too low and he needs to work at bringing it up. I told the doctor that I had heard it is difficult to raise the good cholesterol and asked how you raise it. He said "Exercise". I'm so proud of DH. He is doing good. I told DH it would be nice if we could get a treadmill and switch the other bedroom into an exercise room. I'm going to see if I can eventually get him interested. Got to make suggestion and let him get to the place he will think it was his idea and he will do it. LOL!!!

I'm all bundled up in my snuggie ready to watch the World Series. It is really cold here. Supposed to get down to 30s tonight. Going to enjoy it.

Good night.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #15  

Trish, my cardiologist also told me that exercise raises good cholesterol.

Glad that his A1c came down nicely with the new med.
Closed Thread