Old 10-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #14

Good morning to you ladies. I thought I had posted but guess not. I was really sick yesterday with allergy stuff and I didn't do anything but a load of laundry and unload the dishwasher. I didn't feel better until last night. It was cool yesterday, in the low to mid 60's so the ac wasn't on all day but we did have to turn it on towards evening when the sun beat through the blinds and such.

I am heading out in about 2 hours or so to the nail salon then when I get done with that I am going to go out to the base area to the county clerk and get my hanger tag updated so will be done with that. Tomorrow I have to get the nasty bathrooms cleaned upstairs and get vacation residual put away. It is just a couple odds and ends like sunscreen stuff and shoes at the bottom of one of the bag, stuff like that.

Jean: You're a better person than I am. I am like Bob, I would have just sent a card. They didn't have a wedding per se in the first place and secondly, you probably wouldn't have gone and had already given her a wedding gift the first time around. I do that with baby gifts. I make a first baby gift, but then that's it. I don't make gifts for every baby they have. If I am close to them, I might give a baby store gift card or something, but I don't make something more than once per couple. I noticed on Sunday that they are harvesting the cotton around here. One farmer had part of it done and part not so I wonder if it started raining or got dark or something. You did have a cold overnight didn't you? I noticed in Northern New Mexico, they got snow so guess it is moving to that time of year. My eyes are 20/15, which flabbergasted me. I don't go to the eye doctor until next year and will be interested to see what the settled into. The doctor said they can stay the same or change just a bit.

Everyone have a good Thursday!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:40 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! It was another cold and foggy morning. The sun finally came out around noon and was most welcome. I went to get my nails done first thing then made a return trip to the store. I bought some candy to make Halloween treat bags for the grandkids, among which was a bag of Mary Janes. They used to be on the penny candy shelf when I was a kid. Evidently they got too warm in transit and several were melted together. A few of the loose ones couldn't be unwrapped without pieces of the paper still stuck to the candy. I figured for $2.99 the store could have them back! Iowa doesn't tax food but guess candy isn't considered food because I got $3.20 back. After lunch I went for a "teeny tiny trim" and I will know tomorrow how that worked out. It was too wet to farm yet so Bob rewired his tractor lights where the mouse had chewed on them and then helped grease the combine in its 50+ places. They have a book telling them where to grease and when.

"Gma," I've had a stuffy nose the last couple nights and know I toss 'n turn more than usual. I hate nights like that! Hope your allergies are better today. There is snow in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado so I'm sure we will get it sooner or later, preferably later. For some reason I mind the cold more as I get older, and I'm always cold.

Bob is home and just asked if he or I was cooking tonight. I never plan anything too far ahead during harvest. Hope you have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:14 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. It is a cool morning here but nice and sunny so I imagine it will warm up as the day goes along. Jack took the day off as we stayed up until 1 AM watching the game and the after show when they won the division. They head out to LA now and start with the Dodgers tomorrow.

Happy Birthday, Jean! Hope you have a wonderful day!!

I went and got my nails and toes done. There was a new guy there. He was so very nice to me, but man was he slow. Took me 90 minutes to get my new nails on and toes polished. He did do a great job though. After that I headed out to Millington and waited another hour to get the hang tag renewed. An old dude with long white hair and beard sat down next to me and ugh, hadn't had a bath in awhile. I wanted to gag really bad and of course he just blabbered away at me the whole time. I kept turning my head towards the vending machines but he would ask me questions and I couldn't be rude. I grabbed a regular burger from McDs and came home and ate a bite of lunch and finished up washing my new fall shirts. I hit the jackpot this year as they are all really super soft and comfortable. I went and bought a couple more pair of colored jeans to go with them and I am all set for fall and winter now.

Jean: Criminy it must take forever to oil in 50+ places. I noticed a couple days ago that northern New Mexico had gotten a nice snowstorm so fall is definitely here. When do you go and have your other eye done?? I sure felt better yesterday and this morning than I did on Wednesday. I was one sick puppy that day.

Everyone have a nice weekend this weekend.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #4  

Good Evening! Another gloomy misty morning but the sun did come out this afternoon. I picked up the gift shop money and waded through invoices the buyers used to order online. Some companies bill by a different name and some bill their shipping separate from the merchandise. Makes for a challenge to say the least. I always check figures to be sure it is the gift shop bill and not the auxiliary bill that is getting charged to the gift shop. Jason's family is going in different directions this weekend so we are postponing the birthday get together, probably until harvest is over or a rainy weekend day. I don't know if I shared or not, but Ian got hurt in a game a week ago. Nothing broken but jammed fingers, swollen wrist and arm. He is hoping to play next week. *groan* Since he couldn't play tonight he opted to go on a scout retreat.

"Gma," hope your Cubs keep winning! Thank you for the birthday wishes. I saw a recipe on FB for a strawberry cake but I sure don't need a 9 x 13" cake! Bob suggested maybe the bakery would have half a cherry pie tomorrow, his favorite. My next surgery is the 26th. I refilled two of my drops and read the fine print. If I didn't have insurance both were almost $300 a piece! I read the instructions and thought I was doing them wrong but was following the doctor's instructions and marking the chart so guess I am ok. I will be glad to be done with them.

I hate it being dark so early, makes for a long evening. I am tired tonight and would love to go to bed. I know I would regret it around 2 a.m. though. Hope you enjoy a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 10-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #5  

Good morning everyone. It is chilly here this morning and Jack wore a light jacket to work. Guess fall is moving in. I just wish all the leaves would fall off the trees so we could get them all cleaned up off the deck and get our tree trimming done. A couple of the branches are hanging pretty low now and need to be trimmed back.

We cleaned up all the rest of the vacation stuff and I got the upstairs bathrooms cleaned yesterday. Hot job as it was warm here yesterday, but it is done for a bit anyway. I forgot to get boxes to start working on cleanout and move around, but Jack promised he would get them next off weekend. This weekend is commissary weekend again and we don't get anything done but shopping and getting the car washed. I never did get that done because of rain off and on here. It has bugs from the vacation so I want to get that all cleaned off as soon as possible.

We ordered Jack a new computer chair for his office upstairs. His current one has faux leather that we thought was real and it is flaking off and getting all over the place. He bought a fabric chair this time. He says he likes it better because in the summer his legs stick to leather when he has shorts on. I also bought a pair of motion detector lights to put over the front door. It is really dark out there at night and these have great reviews and are easy to install because they are not hard wired but have batteries. You just screw on the plate and the unit slides onto the plate and voila you have motion lights. I was surprised at how inexpensive they are. Most people said because they aren't on all the time if you buy good quality batteries they usually last about a year. I just hated opening the front door when it was dark. Our storm door is all glass and it is a bit spooky.

Jean: Poor Ian. I hope his hand gets better soon. It isn't his writing hand is it? Would be a little tough in school. One of the Cubs players got plunked on his right hand when he was batting and by the time he got to first base, it was turning purple as they did a close up of it. He is a big guy and crowds the plate so I am sure he is used to being bruised up all the time as he gets hit by pitches all the time. That's why I don't make more of the dessert recipes from FB. Jack doesn't like fruit desserts and I couldn't eat but maybe one tiny piece, like two bites so I don't make anything. Jack buys slices of cream pies in the grocery freezer section and is done with it. I saw this pumpkin dessert that looked really yummy though.

Well everyone have a good start to another week.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! A whole sunny day today! It was a chilly 35 degrees this morning but warmed up this afternoon. We are supposed to be in the 70s all week and I'll believe that when I see it! The day started with not balancing at church; the other counter didn't write a receipt envelope which we found as we double checked cash and checks. Then my crappy computer wouldn't let me into my program which is becoming an every other week challenge. I had to use the secretary's computer which put her behind in her work. I told her I was about ready to turn in my "doey" button and she had never heard of that. I went to the eye doctor for a second follow-up only to find out that appt. is next Monday. Made the gift shop deposit and then dropped checks off at the hospital. Came home and changed clothes, went to an oil class, and then a P.E.O. meeting. When that was over, the gal sitting next to me said, "well, I'll see you tonight." "What's tonight?" I ask. Card club! When in doubt check the calendar last thing at night and first thing in the morning. I did have the eye appt. and card club written on the right Mondays!

"Gma," my front yard looks like orange and yellow carpet. There's not a leaf left on the tree. The rest of our trees drop leaves late, sometimes after it snows. We have three lights in front of our house and one has the motion detector. When it is windy the tree branches will set them off. The weekend neighbors across the street finally put shades in their bedroom window that faces th street. I'm sure the lights are annoying but our side of the long block is dark. A friend of mine has a doorbell that takes a picture and transmits it to her phone. She is a widow and the way her house is designed she can't see who is at the door. I have a peep hole which doesn't help in the dark or when grandkids hold their hand over it. The Cubs (?) pitcher with the bushy hair and beard needs a haircut imo. I saw mug cake mixes in the store last week. I get hungry for a piece of cake but hate to throw the rest away. Bob used to take things to the office but now everyone there is on a diet of some sort. Bob is farming this afternoon so I may not see him until I get home from card club.

I need to fold a load of towels and change clothes. Enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #7  

Good afternoon. I got fed up with dragging the vacuum up and down the stairs so I bought a cordless stick vac for downstairs and will move the one downstairs upstairs.

I took all my boxed stuff like pancake mix, pastas and such and got it all into storage boxes so now it is all protected. We haven't seen our little friend since we got home so maybe someone else killed it. We can always hope.

I did some laundry and unloaded the dishwasher and reloaded it, but I have boxes sitting in the kitchen and living room and they are big so need to wait to start cleaning again. Tomorrow is trash day so out they'll go and I can get the downstairs cleaned again.

Jean: I have to set alarms to be sure I don't miss stuff. I put stuff on the calendar then forget to look at the calendar. We have a solid front door and I have thought of either getting a video doorbell or a peep hole. Luckily we rarely have someone at the front door. We have lights on the deck and motion detectors right at the garage door.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #8  

Good morning to you all. Very cool again this morning. I noticed Jack wore a jacket to work.

Been sitting here at the computer paying bills this morning. Easy in and easy out I guess. I am just thankful to have enough to pay the bills.

Not much newsiness around here today. Jack got all the stuff carted out to the trash to be picked up today so that's all out of the house and I can started cleaning again.

Looks like our friends from Kansas City may go on the cruise next year. I know she ask me and I told her the date and she was looking into it. I don't know how many more they can take as she said she is retiring next year and I know that will put them both just on social security. He hasn't worked in a few years now because he has runaway diabetes. Poor guy works like a demon exercising but still has to take insulin a lot. He is not overweight either.

I had a gift certificate for art.com because of a law suit filed against them so bought another Salvador Dali print to go with the one I had that I am going to put behind the tv. It is much smaller and I bought a funky candle sconce to put next to it. Jack said he would put them up the next free weekend. This weekend is commissary weekend. I did pay for the sconce, but the print was free and I got it put on acrylic.

I guess I better get going and get my chores started. Have a good middle of the week everyone.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #9  

I just typed a lengthy zero cents worth and it has disappeared. @*&$(#’l(&:/+=#/$:=‘. I don’t have time to retype it right now — will be back later!
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM   #10  

Good Evening! I will try this again! Stupid iPad did an update and now I have numbers and symbols over my letters. Why, I don’t know but I don’t like my symbols rearranged! I don’t want my thumbprint nor a pass number to get into it either! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! Beth was working in SF yesterday so we picked up her kids after school and headed up to Zowie’s soccer game. Beth met us there and we all went out to eat afterwards. We had never been to Popeye’s before but think KFC is much better imo. Jason told me to ask Ian why his mom had to pick him up from football practice. He was embarrassed but admitted he got a speeding ticket. It was after a football game and close to 10:00 which is his license limit. The cop told him he was stopped because he was speeding, not because he was a kid. The cop also said to be a smart driver and obey the speed limit. Ian was over 5 mph but the cop put the ticket at 5; he lost his license for 30 days and $85 fine. Lesson learned! I told him to use his cruise control from now on! Bob left for the farm just as it was getting light this morning. They were moving equipment from a rental field 30 miles from here. The elevators are staying open later so I will see him when I see him. I had a long bell practice today, the director wants to play two pieces in November.

“Gma,” I don’t much like this update! I’ll be typing along and words just disappear. What fun to get a gift certificate for something you like! I know you will enjoy the SD print! I need to get back to my sorting and pitching project. I just bought some new slacks so need to get rid of some that I don’t wear any more. It’s just not my favorite thing to do. But if I don’t, no one else will.

Not much else newsy from here tonight. We go back for Ian’s football game Friday. Then we are done with games until basketball gets started. I do have Zowie’s holiday and spring band concerts on my calendar! Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!
Old 10-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #11  

Good afternoon ladies. Hopefully I can get this posted as the site is acting crazy today. I clicked on reply and it took me back to the thread choices, then got into it again, clicked on the box to start typing and the font drop down came up.

Boy the allergies this fall are hitting me hard. I have been sick again today and just pushed through to get chores done. Waiting for first load of laundry to finish drying so I can fold them and put in smaller load.

Jack got two chairs instead of one yesterday and we only got charged for one. They both had my name on it and address and WM won’t take it back because we didn’t get charged for it and it isn’t in their system as being shipped. I am going to let it sit in the box for a bit then he can put it together and I’ll use it in the pantry I guess. Wanted to use the new vacuum to see how it worked but I am coughing and sneezing and stuff too much today. It was easy to put together. I unpacked and put away the ream of paper I bought and boy what a job that is. Paper is darn heavy!

Jean: I hate the update and keyboard functions too. If you type fairly fast it will switch to the shaded symbol or number so you might have #mall instead of small. Irritates the heck out of me and the new updates disallow use of several games I have like my gin rummy game. I had to get a different one and don’t like it near as much. Poor Ian hard lesson. Who took the license, the parents or the city/county? I like KFC better and Popeyes sides better so we usually do both, but the last 2 times we got KFC it was awful. When I was a girl of 11or 12, my mom did laundry at a laundromat and she would buy us all a box meal while the clothes washed. That was the first time I ever had it and I fell in love with the cole slaw. I don’t like it as much anymore because it’s all chopped up instead of shredded cabbage like it used to be. Looks like they are finishing up harvest here. They have the corn and beans and most of cotton all done now.

Better go and check on the laundry. Have a nice afternoon.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it’s a beautiful day in my neighborhood. It’s 75 degrees, a huge change after being in the 30s and 40s a few days ago. The farmers are happy campers! I ran some errands this morning and dropped checks off at the hospital. The gift shop and coffee shop are going to be closed tomorrow because there is no employee to run the coffee shop. I brought the money home and it is ready to deposit tomorrow. Also wrote some more checks so will take them to the hospital tomorrow. It will also be closed most of one day next week so the buyers can decorate for Christmas. That is a first. I’ve done some laundry today and half heartedly dusted which I consider a waste of time.

“Gma,” I had to re-enter my name and password to get in here today. Wish they would leave things alone! We have bugs swarming around outside and people have said allergies are bad here too. One of my stops was WM this morning and they are rearranging their grocery aisles again. I never did find what I was looking for and of course, no one in sight to ask. You and Jack could sit side by side in your his ‘n hers chairs. I assume it was a sheriff’s deputy for the county who stopped Ian, since he travels a rural blacktop road. It could have been a town cop if he was still close to school or their house. You know who took over our KFC and changed some of the recipes. It finally closed and the building sits empty. We ate at the local KFC where I had my cataract exam and the coleslaw was shredded like always. I used to pick up coleslaw there on the way to the cabin.

Guess I will check and see if the mail is here. The guy who has delivered the last few days is always at least two hours later than our regular carrier. Makes me nuts! Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Old 10-20-2017, 09:08 AM   #13  

Good morning everyone. Another cool night and going to be nice today, but we are supposed to get some heavy rain this weekend. Seems to always want to rain on grocery weekend.

I have a couple errands to run later this morning but that's it for today. I have another allergy headache and the regular allergy stuff today. Brother, I hope it doesn't keep it up all winter too.

Baseball is over for us. The Cubs screwed up royally last night and the Dodgers are going to the WS. I am fine with that as I am pretty fed up with how they were playing so now I don't have to be mad every night.

My jeans were awful and cheap so back they go. I went in and ordered two more pairs of another type and hopefully they will be better quality, but we shall see. I wanted a couple of colored pairs of jeans like khaki and gray to wear with some fall and winter tops.

Jean: I was told when they did the last rearrange that they were making all the Walmart stores in the whole country exactly alike. Guess not in your case. I have to say since one of he vendors called our local post office and reamed them out about delivering, they have delivered packages regularly. I know we had a young kid who had started a few months back and was really nice, but don't know if he is still delivering to us. I know I didn't have to call this time about our hold mail as they actually stopped it like they were supposed to. Are you guys going to Hawaii next year? Like I said, our friends from our first cruise may be coming with us next year again. She said she was looking into it. Sometimes I want to just go by ourselves and sometimes I don't mind the company.

Everyone have a good weekend.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:44 PM   #14  

Good Evening! A sunny but very windy day in my neighborhood today. This was my monthly coffee date so spent the morning catching up on the last month. I came home, changed clothes, and headed to Ian’s last freshman game. It was windy there too! Ian had a good game and they won, 40 - 0. Several of the parents and team members decided to go out to eat after the game so we tagged along. We got to officially meet and visit with several people we have seen at games. We just got home and I’m hoping I sleep better than I did last night.

“Gma,” we are supposed to get rain tomorrow too, 70% chance, and still windy. The guys finished beans before we left for the game so now on to corn which there is more of this year. I finally found a pair of slacks that fit me! The local dress shop was having a “buy one, get the second item for half.” They weren’t cheap but were short enough and not baggy in the bu**. We are going to Maui in February again, along with the two couples we went on the cruise with. We always go on the whale watch boat with Jason’s in-laws; the other gal gets sick on little boats so they watch whales from land. I said this last time, and will say it again, this may be our last trip there. The others want to take some bus trips so I’m trying to convince Bob he would like to go too.

I am tired and heading for bed! Have a nice weekend!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:28 PM   #15  

Good Evening! It’s been a cold, rainy, gloomy day in my corner of the world. We were invited to a one year old’s birthday party/brunch today. He is the son of the agent that Bob has been mentoring to take over his accounts when he officially retires. The little guy got a multitude of gifts as if it were Christmas! All the decorations, etc., were color coordinated and lots of food choices. There was a candy table for the kids; lots of kids although I think most were relatives. I’ve done some laundry and need to iron clothes for church tomorrow. We would really like to go back to Sioux City and hear a gospel group that is singing, but we are having a guest organist so will go here.

​I need to unload the dishwasher and put the kitchen to bed. Hope you enjoy a nice Sunday!