Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – October 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 10-01-2017, 03:48 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Ford's Model T introduced at $825 (1908, Detroit)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – So much time in one day with the feeling that so little was accomplished. It hurts to think that a major achievement was to put the little sticker on my car's licence plate that show's that I'm registered for the next two years. That is, however, a notable step since if I hadn't put it on, it would sit in an envelope drifting lower and lower in the stack until I was given a ticket by an annoyed State Trooper after November 1st when the old one expired.

Eating was on plan enough, CREDIT moi. We didn't even consider going outside for dinner in the rain and chill. We're headed toward the winter season. DGD's birthday gift is a set of magnetic building tiles. I had taken out all 100 pieces to demonstrate that they worked - clearly a man's job. Now they had to go back into the box to be wrapped for her birthday party. Fitting them back in was a challenge. My suggested solution was to put them in a cloth shopping bag where they'd be easier for her parents to put them in each time they picked them up. Apparently, my taste in how to give a birthday present isn't up to standards. They'll be given in the box with the cloth bag handed to the parents on the sly.

onebyone – Neat Weight Loss Advantages, especially liked "save money and having lots of choices." Good luck deciding about graduate school. [Thanks for the link to the Capote film; that looks good. Alas, Pittsburg seems very far away from Boston. Maybe it's time for a cross-country tour to pick that up with so many other places stretched out over those 3000 miles.]

Joy (gardenerjoy) – [It'd be terrific if Massachusetts "can work out race issues using children's books." Maybe this one, brave librarian will get us started where so many have tried and failed. Her detractors are adamant that she wasn't 'polite' to make the points that she made. I do admire what you've been doing in Saint Louis these years. It's such a challenge. The lecture, Slavery in the North: The Enslaved People of Cambridge & Medford filled up instantly - two months in advance - before I could sign up. D*rn!]

silverbirch – Ouch for the attack of the tiny, tiny invaders. May they just wander away. I'm a big believer in cranberry juice which, I've also been told, has no effect except to get you to enjoy drinking liquids.

nationalparker – Happy World Vegetarian Day - even if you're not 100% vegetarian. Ouch for a trip to Sam's for a full carton for just one piece. I also like almond butter but don't get into it often.

Karen (karenrn) - Kudos for recognizing that you have to step back from family dynamics that you can't change. Yay for celebrating your large Molasses cookie.

curlyjax - Yep, it's great when the next generation moves into the neighborhood. House prices around here are a bit steep for young families; makes me wonder if all the old folks have to pass away before the prices can drop enough for kids to be able to afford homes. Good luck deciding about that job opportunity.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 How To Use the Beck Diet Solution

The Two-Week Wait

Every diet provides you with a plan that tells you what you should and shouldn't eat. But knowing what to eat is only a small part of successful dieting. In fact, the Beck Diet Solution doesn't tell you what to eat. You can choose any reasonable diet. If you followed a sensible diet in the past but couldn't lose weight or keep it off, it wasn't necessarily the diet's fault. You just didn't have the skills to make the diet work - now you will. This program teaches you how to eat, how to motivate yourself every day, how to create time and energy for dieting, how to solve diet-related problems, and how to use many other essential techniques.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 45.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! Quick wave- DH slept well last night after eating lightly yesterday. Hopefully it was just a fluke. I did get to communicate with 2 of my friends who are or have been caregiver spouses so that was helpful. Thanks for all the support here too!

Onebyone- great to hear from you. Go for the Masters if you really want it! As the saying goes, you will still age either way, you might as well be 56 or whatever with your degree done.

Running off to church!
Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Today's goal is planning. In general, good plans help me manage my eating better because I can predict what situations I'm likely to be in and find health ways to navigate through them.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Today is preparation and execution on my end as well ... while i had the pears and apples for the baked oatmeal for brunch, somehow I had only 1/4 cup of oats. So after a quick market run, I prepped that this afternoon, along with the pasta sauce for the next two weeks. Decided to make a treat for DH to take into his office, and since it came out superbly, made another recipe to take into my office, since I think a few of the guys will scarf it down. A super quick and easy recipe for Reese's cup bark. I did taste test it. Dinner was jalapeno chicken sausage and peppers/onions with shredded sweet potato hash browns. The last day of the healthy fat phase - it always feels too indulgent. But yummy.

Better note tomorrow - I ran DH a bath to soak in and relax (he never likes a bath - says you're sitting in your own dirt ... I love a bath. I guess I never soak after I've gotten dirty mowing the lawn or such...) and he welcomed the time to relax and veg. He finished the flooring - now just a few more pieces of trim to finish out that room. I know he's relieved. He figures we saved about $4K if not more. Still was expensive to us. The next stuff we'll save up for - the bathroom flooring and some rugs.
Old 10-02-2017, 12:26 AM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Smile Happy October

Hiya Coaches

Wanted to say hello before I go to bed.
Food was on plan today and cleaner than its been for a while, so, happy about that. Credit moi.

Today I attended an art thing with our mayor who shook my hand and was genuinely moved by my artwork. He wanted to tell me stuff. It was nice and that's what art does.

I also managed to get my ceramic work complete so it could be fired overnight and into tomorrow. Happy about that as well. I am going to be in Show Mode now until this next show is over, or rather, until we are set up at the show. That's Friday October 13. Until then I'll be up early and staying up late getting things done. This is a show I've never done before. It's ceramics only and apparently quote well known. And so far three strangers have recognized my name as being one of the artists at this show. The recognition is freaking me out. Yikes. I can't dwell on it being a big deal. I need to.just do what I do and keep on truckin' ...

Until tomorrow.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Jacques Cartier discovers and names a town Montreal (1535)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Big event was the DGD's birthday party. It was one of those mixed age parties where grandparents, relatives, and couples with kids gathered. The two-year old simply selected one person at a time to entertain her - pretty neat. She blew bubbles in the back yard with a favorite uncle for a long time. No presents were opened; apparently parents have learned that only chaos happens. Don't know when they'll let her dig into the giant pile of wrapped stuff next to the kitchen counter.

Lunch was the food gathered while standing at the party - best that I could do. I worked at making it a rational volume by skipping the cupcakes with stacked icing and skipping the snacks set out for little kids that many grownups were popping like bowls of bar food. Later, dinner happened at a local street fair where I stood chatting with neighbors while we ate. I did manage to get a plate to serve myself something like a normal meal. There were a dozen dessert options that I skipped. Unfortunately, there were three that I didn't - even when shared with DW they were larger than my planned snacks for the day. I did gather some neighborhood news about a house that I thought was abandoned. It's not. There's someone living there doing zero maintenance with weeds and junk trees growing untended everywhere while the roof and other outside parts deteriorate. Friends are trying to help them but they're resistant to any solution so far suggested. I hope this ends well.

onebyone – Such a happy problem to have to learn to accept that you're recognized - Kudos for recognizing it and working on it.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Yay for planning. It does seem that the situations that we find 'unusual' have happened before and likely will again.

nationalparker"Reese's cup bark" sounds deadly - Kudos for restricting yourself to only a taste. Congrats for saving that $4K by doing the work yourself.

curlyjax - Glad that your DH is back to his normal. Kudos for recognizing that you need the support of other caregivers.

Readers -
Quote:

The Two-Week Wait

If you've already taken a look at the Contents page or flipped ahead in the book, you probably noticed the program suggests you start your diet on Day 15. Why wait to start dieting? Because you need time to build the skills that will make your diet a success. During the first two weeks of this program, you'll learn and practice these skills. Some of the techniques are so effective that you might start losing weight even before you officially start your diet. In fact, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania reviewed a series of studies in which behavioral techniques were used instead of prescribing a diet. They found that participants were able to lose weight if they engaged in goal setting, problem solving, and self-monitoring (keeping a written log of what they ate). All of these skills are also incorporated in the Beck Diet Solution.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 45.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

We got home about 10 last night, but of course didn't get to sleep right away after being out and up. I am tired this morning, but we got up at the usual time and I've walked Otis and will get ready for the gym soon. The laundry is going and I figure laundry and a bit of grocery shopping will get done today. Otis was all revved up when we got home.

We are both glad that trip is over. The wedding was very unorganized. We were to be there 2 hours early for photos, then because it was raining they decided to take photos afterward. Not only that the wedding party wasn't even dressed or made up. It was a BFM, but not our problem except that there wasn't anyplace comfortable to hang out for either ourselves or Ron's 87 year old Mom. Good news is that it's over now.

I came home up one pound which I imagine will be off by tomorrow, so I'm okay with that. We did have several meals out and I also had wedding cake which was very good. We stayed with my friend who I've known since junior high. She has lost 64 pounds on WW over the past couple of years and is really looking and feeling good. She is probably my best friend. It's nice to have known someone for so long, I never have to give the back story.

Bill I bet DGD birthday party was so fun. What a cute age.

Onebyone It sounds like your art is going very well. I guess I think of finances, so my take on your Master's is, "Would there be a lot of debt incurred and would the Master's help so that your income would increase enough that the debt wouldn't matter?" I have a friend who is 50 and wanting to go to veterinary school. I figure if she gets in, she might get out in time to pay off her student loans.

I realize I had better get ready for the gym. Maybe more personals later.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM   #9  

Coaches,

I got home from the gym and decided to do some of the things that are more difficult with Otis here. So the laundry is done and put away and I went through the things in the "office" (a box I keep in the second bedroom). I know he'll be tired this afternoon, so it will be easy to leave him for a short bit to run to the grocery store.

Nationalparker Your dinner sounds delicious. It is finally cooling down here enough that I'm beginning to think of more fall foods. I had split pea soup in Washington yesterday and it makes me want to make some soups soon. They just aren't all that appealing when it's hot, especially cause they heat up the house as I cook them on top of the stove. Soon though.

GardenerJoy I am also trying to do a little more planning. I am trying to be diligent on my food plan and maybe even take a few pounds off. I'm so darn good at maintaining at this weight and sometimes I figure that alone is good.

Curlyjax I'm so glad to hear dh had a good night. It would be difficult not to worry. I'm glad you've got the caregiver support group. I would imagine having others going through a similar situation would be good. Support is always good.

Dh thinks it will be two more weeks until we're in our house. This week the floors are being refinished and then there are a couple more small things. He will take a few days off when we can get in so we can get things put back together. Our nephew is supposed to be coming down for a couple of days right when we get moved back in. Oh well, I guess we'll work that out.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #10  
Enjoying la bella vita

A busy workday with one issue still outstanding so it's on my mind this evening. It's out of my control, a programming issue by another company using my data, but the questions come my way. Not life or death, though. On plan enough today. A few thin almond wafers after brown rice pasta dinner tonight, but I can live with that transgression. Trying to stay on this FMD program again and so far, so OK. Lunch was leftover chicken noodle soup and have one serving left for tomorrow. Perfect. I didn't want to try to freeze it with these super thin brown rice/millet noodles.

Today I did not get in my 10K steps - I've been doing well getting them in and surpassing that number solidly every workday but don't carry my phone on the weekends but I know those days I'm on my feet nearly all the day anyway. Will see if DH gets home from an errand with time to walk a bit tonight. That'd be a good way to catch up. Looking forward to Thursday's Harvest Moon, then realized DH booked us tickets to see Boz Scaggs that night at a really good price. That'll be a kickoff to a jam-packed weekend.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:19 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday -Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, & Slovenes renames to Kingdom of Yugoslavia (1929)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to class, CREDIT moi, to discuss that Meriwether Lewis would most likely be buried in the Dakotas if Sacagawea had not discovered that her own brother was the chief of the Shoshones. The Shoshones gave them horses and a guide who knew how to cross the Rockies. Twice the Lewis and Clark expedition was saved by a Native American woman. Adding to my Bucket List to retrace part of that journey - in a heated and air conditioned car, of course. Minus 45 degrees F is not for me.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. We're still eating fresh blueberries and peaches as if it were summer. DW complains that when I buy bananas that are very green, they stay green and hard until one day when they instantly turn brown and mushy. It's time for the Butler to take over buying bananas.

nationalparker – Kudos for staying calm when someone is abusing your data. Thanks for the reminder that Thursday will be a Harvest Moon. Thought you'd like the quote when the poor dude is still using the word 'portage' to describe crossing the Rocky Mountains.
"I reached the camp found the Indian woman extreemly ill and much reduced by her indisposition. this gave me some concern as well for the poor object herself, then with a young child in her arms, as from the consideration of her being our only dependence for a friendly negociation with the Snake Indians on whom we depend for horses to assist us in our portage from the Missouri to the columbia river." Meriwether Lewis, June 16, 1805
Karen (karenrn) - Congrats for surviving your BFM wedding. (For those with sensitive eyes, it also stands for Big Furry Monster.) Yay for knowing someone since junior high.

Readers -
Quote:

The Two-Week Wait

If you start dieting too soon - that is, before you have the skills you need - you might find dieting too challenging. You might get discouraged and maybe even abandon the program altogether. Readiness is more complicated than simply wanting to change. Think about other changes you've made in your life. For example, you didn't suddenly start driving one day simply because you want to. You had to learn driving skills one at a time. You had to practice them over and over until you get good at them and developed a measure of confidence in your ability to drive safely. It's the same with dieting. You need to learn certain skills and to develop confidence in your ability to use them consistently.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), pg 46.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:14 AM   #12  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Default Tuesday

A calmer day in prospect. Fairly sensible eating yesterday (muesli, tortilla, minestrone + slightly too much bread). I planned it out as I had three trips out in the car which is too much for me and my sensibilities. Don't need to be making last minute decisions about food when I'm whirling around the universe. Or, indeed, on any day. So Beckian.

I read a bit of the Beck book (think it's green but could be pink - don't know as it's on the Kindle) last night before going to sleep. I'm finding it much easier to deal with on the Kindle as I can just flick over the strange writing/phrasing and don't feel I have to 'edit' it as I do with an actual book. Interesting finding.

I'm doing 30 mins sitting down, 30 mins standing up for as long as I like today. It works quite well and I get things done. I've already hung out the washing and filled up a recycling bin with bits of holly (takes so long to compost and I don't have the space at present). Have also ordered some curtain rails which should make the bathroom a better place.

Bill, I make banana and walnut loaf with the brown bananas which keeps the show on the road here for those residents who need a lot of calories, and I try not to eat very much of it. 'Portage' - is that when you take a boat out of the river and lug it round an obstruction or over to another river? Over to another river here meaning over the Rocky Mountains? I see ...

nationalparker, 'on plan enough today' sounds good to me. Some days are like that, as we know so well.

karen, that two weeks will pass soon! I bet you can't wait. Can the nephew lend you a hand, if necessary?

onebyone, I'm basking in the realisation that I know a famous artist. Vicarious enjoyment! You're getting up a real head of steam now (which I know you'll understand at first hand through your steam roller exploits)!

to all.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi Coaches! I on one day one of three day prep for my first colonoscopy, how exciting�� It is weird to not be able to eat raw veggies, most fruit and whole grain- all the stuff that is so healthy. But its only two days of that, then one day of liquids which will be a challenge since I’ll be working. I know hunger is not an emergency but I do tend to get headaches when I can’t eat. But that is Thursday so I won’t think about it until then! Just a routine check and I figured I may as well get it over with since I’m almost 51.

Bill- My DH was reminiscing about when the kids were DGD age and how huggable they were. Lucky you to re-live it but then get to give them back at the end of the day!
Karen- so glad you’ll be back in your own home soon. It’s been quite a while!
Old 10-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #14  
Enjoying la bella vita

A routine day for the most part. Stayed on plan for all meals with the exception of a few corn tortilla chips and a wholly guacamole single serve with my black bean soup and cilantro lime rice for dinner. There are bags and baskets of candy around our office now - not for Halloween, really, just because. They were just refreshed with new bags today, so they're not running dry anytime soon. I have lunch out with my former boss and a current coworker tomorrow. It will be slightly off plan but will order high protein.

DH came home worried because his boss, who is hugely overworked, is leaving. He was promised advancement and better pay in the next few months so we'll see if that does end up happening. The guy is just so swamped, even answering emails/phone calls is unlikely. We'll see how it shakes out. It'll all turn out as it's meant to be, I suppose. Initially he was worried that the promotion would mean too many days on the road. I worried about him being on the road in the winter. Not under our control now.

Early Italian garlic is on sale at Burpee for 50% off today only. I have it in my cart but hesitate to hit "order" ... I need to just commit and go from there. I have no set veggie garden area, though! I need to get thinking on that. Or else just skip it. I am frustrated with the amount of thistle in our garden ... DH trimmed it with the trimmer two years ago and it went from maybe 25 weeds to 250. I got way aggravated and I just can't get ahead of it.

Bill - Thanks for the excerpt. They just really impress me. Does this class run through December or are the sessions of varying lengths?

Silverbirch - Boy, you hit it on the head when you said you couldn't remember the cover of the Beck book on the kindle. I LOVE books' covers and bemoan the fact that I never see them on my kindle. I like the convenience of carrying a lot of books, and of reading in the dark, but I sure do miss the pleasure of turning pages (maybe not as excited as Bill's DGD!) and looking at the covers. Hopefully you have more time to breathe this week.

CurlyJax - Good luck with your procedure! Is your DD any closer to narrowing down some school choices? What type of work do you see her excelling at?
Old 10-03-2017, 10:43 PM   #15  

Good evening coaches,

It's been a good day but pretty quiet. It is Otis's first birthday. He had his first taste of a little ice cream this evening. He just slowly licked it. I think he thought it was too cold. We wouldn't have even thought to give him any, but it's been sitting in the freezer and we decided to give him a few bites and run hot water on the rest.

Exercise was just a couple of walks with Otis and housework today. I didn't feel like going to yoga, so I figured, just get some things done around the house. I also got the ironing caught up and washed some other throw rugs and things that don't get done all that often.

Food was on plan. We had fish tacos for dinner. Dh isn't crazy about fish, but I can give him fish tacos a few times a year.

I am listening to Her Every Fear and really enjoying it. My problem with listening to books lately is that I put too many on hold and they all become available around the same time. I did a lot of housework today with ear buds in my ears. I've had a couple of books expire when I tried to hurriedly finish another. I've never gone back and forth between books as much as I have right now. I think I had better quit putting so many holds in.

Nationalparker When I retired I worried being home and having access to the refer more hours a day would be a problem, but I think the food at work was way worse and it sounds like it is at your work too. At least at home it's only here if I buy it.

Curlyjax Can you have apple juice or Gatorade on the clear liquid days? At least there is some sugar/calories in those as apposed to broth with not many calories at all.

Silverbirch As a matter of fact our nephew and his girlfriend could help with the furniture moving. They are both competitive Crossfit folks. Our nephew lifts like 300 pounds or something. A little furniture will probably be easy for him to shove around.

Bill I pretty much quit buying bananas. They ripen so quickly here. I do peel them and put them in the freezer for an occasional smoothie, but you can only do that with so many. i'm also enjoying hearing about the Lewis and Clark Expedition through you and your class.

Dh is brushing Otis, I guess I had better go give him a hand.
Closed Thread