Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2017, 01:32 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Anxiety with fat loss?

Has anyone experienced anxiety as a result of fat loss? Meaning, that while you actively losing weight, your anxiety levels go up as a result? I've been experiencing this and have wondered what the cause is. I feel keyed up, anxious, nervous. I've wondered if it's toxins in my system that have been dumped by my fat cells, or...? This isn't the first time I've seen a possible correlation and wondered if anyone else has experienced the same and if you know what is causing it?
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #2  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Not per se. Mine has mostly been pronounced when above a desired size.
Not that I totally escaped having some anxiety when I was smaller. NaturallyI deal w/over thinking everything which
leads to my anxiety.

Could you be afraid because in someway you will feel like a new person? A sort of "success fear"?
How long have you been losing your weight, Dee? Some
people panic over the maintenance period too.

Last edited by Desire2b; 09-21-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

I don't think I'm having anxiety over being a new me. I'm pretty thrilled about it, actually. I just notice that when I seem to be actively losing (as opposed to being on a plateau for a while) my anxiety levels seem to go up, and wondered if it was physiological as opposed to psychological.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #4  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Just speculation here bc I've never formally studied anxiety outside of the barest of basics that were mentioned in some psych classes...But I think it's said that losing weight is a stress on the body. I've heard prolonged elevated cortisol levels can trigger depression in some people. Perhaps it can also trigger anxiety in some? I've not heard that, but scientific lit may already be saying that and I just haven't read it yet. Constricting sugar/carbs in itself can also stress the body, so I could see that possibly triggering anxiety as well. Related to this, I remember reading that carbs play a role in serotonin production. I could see some people experiencing greater drops in serotonin/a greater sensitivity to serotonin imbalances, and that then possibly impacting anxiety.

I personally haven't noticed weight loss ever increasing my anxiety levels, but I definitely could see how that physiological experience could trigger anxiety for some people.

Interesting topic. I'd like to learn more about it.

For you in particular, Dee, have you noticed if this is connected with what you eat (i.e. the macro profile) or is it more about how much (i.e., the decreased calories that lead to weight loss)?
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/165/150

Height: 5"6'

I have more anxiety when dieting. But I can attribute that to a loss coping mechanism. I've been very good with my low carb diet since January, so that means no junk, no sugary treats. So when I'm overthinking something, there's no more chip eating out of the bag or ice cream eating out of the carton of Ben & Jerry's. That is a single serving, right?
Neko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunkahlunkah View Post
For you in particular, Dee, have you noticed if this is connected with what you eat (i.e. the macro profile) or is it more about how much (i.e., the decreased calories that lead to weight loss)?
I've wondered that also, as I try to keep my carbs lower usually. I loaded on carbs yesterday (well, like 165g or so, so still below what many Americans eat per day, but above the threshold I've set for myself). Mostly I wanted the carbs (lol) but also I wanted to see if I would have less anxiety and/or sleep better because my sleep has been really disrupted lately as well.

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 09-22-2017 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #7  
Sisboombah56

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Default Anxiety with fat Loss

Hi! I'm a long time member but I don't think I've ever posted until now. Your symptoms mirror my own! I have suffered with depression and anxiety for many years and I know that when I change my eating habits the agitation and anxiety go through the roof--almost like I'm hypomanic. I have way too much energy and feel like I have no way to level off. If I introduce a carb or something like a milk based item, I'm fine. I wonder if it's actually a blood sugar thing going on with me. I don't have anything with caffeine and never drink alcohol so I guess my system is just ultra sensitive. No one understands what I'm talking about but your post really hit home. Take care--Sisboombah
Sisboombah56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #8  
Here to Learn

Hi Sisboombah, thanks for your reply. Maybe it's a thing specifically for people who have anxiety/depression anyway. I have had anxiety issues for over 20 years, but usually well controlled with lifestyle. But I just feel really keyed up, unable to sleep, jittery. Almost like I've had too much coffee, except I don't drink any caffeinated beverages at all. And it seems to happen when I'm actively losing weight, but not when I'm stalled out. It's nice to be understood, but I'm bummed you're going through that as well.
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #9  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
I've wondered that also, as I try to keep my carbs lower usually. I loaded on carbs yesterday (well, like 165g or so, so still below what many Americans eat per day, but above the threshold I've set for myself). Mostly I wanted the carbs (lol) but also I wanted to see if I would have less anxiety and/or sleep better because my sleep has been really disrupted lately as well.
I hope the extra carbs help! It may take a few days at that level to notice a difference. If you experiment with the carb levels and notice a change, I hope you let us know. I'm very curious!

at mostly wanting the carbs. I hear ya! I had a couple cookies with milk again last night, and it was just as glorious as the first time I made them a couple weeks ago. Not a healthy carb, I'd say.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 09-22-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote