Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #1  
Divine Gal

Default Inner thighs

Does anyone have any suggestions for exercising those flabby inner thighs That I have?
lynnie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:34 PM   #2  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default How I Did It...

I started with walking 30 minutes a day for three days a week. After two years, I increased it to every day. After one year, I increased it to 60 minutes every day. After six months, I increased it to running one day, walking the next - 60 minutes a day.

I suspect everybody else could do it at a more aggressive pace, but I've got absolutely gorgeous legs. (She said modestly )
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 07:38 AM   #3  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

Lynnie,

Walking is good... another exercise you can do just for your inner thighs is to lie on your back, lift your legs straight up in the air, and lower your legs into a "V" shape, going as far down as comfortable then back up, slowly, to "feel the burn"

I did this in a YMCA class last Tuesday for the lower backs, abs, and legs - I sure felt it the next day hehehe!

Good luck!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:53 PM   #4  
pin head

i have invested in a large size bouncy ball. i just put it between my knees and squeeze. it seems to work well.
idontcarebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #5  
anna banana

Squats and lunges are good, as well as all leg-based cardio activities. The inner thigh muscle is actually pretty small, so strengthening it doesn't make a visible difference. Your quads are a huge muscle though, and once you tighten those and your hamstrings, it tightens up all of your upper thigh area making your inner and outer thighs less visible! So yeah--squats, lunges= excellent. Try also squatting with your legs further apart--a plie squat, I think it's called. It works your inner thighs and all of your other leg muscles. Doing lunges onto an unstable surface, such as a pillow, strengthens all your little stabilizing/balancing muscles, including your inner and outer thighs. For more challenge add weights to your squats and lunges.
bananna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:12 PM   #6  
Divine Gal

great thanks
Old 03-02-2004, 03:54 PM   #7  

I like side leg lifts....On your side with your upper arm braced in front of you on the floor....raise your top leg straight up, not forward, as high as possible, as many as you can.

Then I place foot of my top leg behind my lower leg and put my foot flat on the floor and rasie my lower leg, which isn't much, as high as I can.....

Then I turn over and do it in reverse.

I saw the difference after about a month
Deborah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:43 PM   #8  
Divine Gal

thats great I will have to try that Thanks
Old 03-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #9  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Lynnie,

none of the advice you got was bad BUT you got 2 distinct kinds of answer.

1. Do lots of any kind of exercise - walking is great - and eventually the fat tored ALL OVER your body will start to go. You body decides which goes last unfortunatley!

2. Work on the muscles underlying the flabby bits. Great for improving muscle tone but won't make any difference to how you look until doing enough number 1 has reduced the fat store!

I hope that hasn't discouraged you. The bottom line (sorry no pun intended) is that you cannot spot reduce, so don't rely on direct leg resistance work, you will be disappointed. But if you do 30 minutes on most days of the week (builidng it up to your own comfort and time levels) you will see results, eventually!

Have patience but most of all have fun!
stef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 09:40 AM   #10  

HI Lynnie,

I agree with stef. I use those exercises as part of my overall strength training program. I don't spot reduce, but I have found that as you strengthen the muscles overall that there are certain muscle groups that respond more positively to certain exercises.

When I began, I used no weights at all, just my own body weight, which at 250 and heavy legged was considerable LOL... But now I use hip adductor and hip abductor machine. The DB (Dear Boyfriend) has developed a program for me, and I thought he loved me! but I thought he was trying to kill me and get a new girlfriend LOL

But what I have noticed is the machines have concentrated on the muscles in my thighs which is stronger. But I have been going to the gym since July and only started this level last month. I have lost 1 inch off each leg at the upper thigh and 2 inch above the knee....my problem spot.

I don't weigh myself more than once a month, and I take my measurements then too. And I have really noticed a difference this month

The down side is that I now have Grandma arms on my thighs.....they jiggle when I shake them LOL But that is better than being 2 inches bigger!
Deborah17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 10:07 AM   #11  

i have recently invested in the lateral thigh trainner and i love it!!!!!!!!!! i also have 2 people at work using it to. 15-20min 3x a week and your thighs firm up and your butt lifts back up.....i love it.... i also have a 15mos old and still find time
beflipswife is offline   Reply With Quote