Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #1  

Default Am I truly this size?

I bought a pair of Levi's today that are size 8. They fit pretty good. I weight 162 and have a large build. Is this a normal size for this weight? I can't find anything that talks about weight and specific sizes.

I usually just wear size 10 Levi's, but mine are getting a little bit baggy, so I thought I'd give the 8 a try.

Does anyone else wear a size 8-10 in the 160's?

Also, I have a pair of size 10 curvy bootcuts, and they are baggy at the hips. Does this mean I am not curvy?

I really don't want to be so it would be a good thing if that was the case.

I'm 5.4.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 08-07-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Harrypotterrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 179/161/149

Height: 5"8

I'm in the low 160's and wear a size 8, but I am 5'8.
superB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #3  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I think it really varies. Some people carry more of their weight on top, and less below the waist. Some are vice-versa. Also it differs based on how much muscle you have. My body tends to spread the weight all over and I've always carried more mass on my butt and thighs than most women. At 142 I'm a size 10 right now.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:48 PM   #4  

Default I need advice fast!!! :(

Hi Guys,

I need help!

I am nearly 19 years old I have a sever issue with my weight... I weight a little over 17 stone and my BMI falls into the "morbidly obese" category.

I work full time (45-48 hours a week) in an office... so not very much exercise!

I also suffer with a medical condition called Hypothyroidism, which in basic terms means that my thyroid is very slow which causes me to have a slow metabolism as my thyroid is not producing the correct amount of hormone to keep my metabolism working at a decent pace.

I am on medication for this, however as the medication only produces synthetic hormones to keep my Thyroid levels correct, it does not get rid of the symptoms (tiredness, fatigue and weight gain).

Due to the fact that I am up at 6am every morning to be in work for 8am and then I don't finish work until 5:30pm, by the time I finish work I am absolutely exhausted so I wouldn't have the energy to go to the gym and work out for an hour as my medication slows down gradually throughout the course of the day.

I am absolutely desperate to lose weight as my current weight is causing me to have very low self-esteem and very low self-confidence.

When you combine the 2 factors together (my job and my medical problem) it means that I gain weight abnormally fast and I struggle to get the weight off.

I have been a yo-yo dieter for years now and I have exhausted every diet there is... I was considering having Gastric band surgery, however as I am an apprentice it would take me a very long time to save the money for the surgery and I want to try and do it on my own.. surgery is a last resort.

please can you give me some advice on diets that really do work and things that I can do to lose my weight... I have started to lose all hope that I can do this

-Courtney
court_xoxoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:41 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 272/257/180

Height: 5'7

I dont know if i am the right person to give adwise - but i use lifesum on my phone. That tells me how many calories i really do need. I have alot of weight to loose and really do hope i can do This. I have involved my husbond this time. I cannot do it alone. Have always tried to. Do you have someone that can and will give you support? Like you i work alot. So my hubby has been given the responsibility that I / we are active when we have spare time. Have taken up hiking/ walking. You go in your pace.get some frech air. And it doesn't have to be a whole day. That was my wake up Call. Stood on a mountain crying. That i could not anymore. And 5 min. later a lady +25 years my age, walked right by me. 😳😳😳😳😳 So my vacation in a foreign country, showed me yes you have to do something. I just hope i dont forget it.
Emma121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:53 AM   #6  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Courtney- I'm a fellow hypothyroid sufferer (I have Hashimotos). I have a couple of thoughts.

One- if your thyroid medication is dialed in, you should not continue to have the fatigue and sluggishness. I strongly recommend you read up on thyroid, particularly find "Mary Shomon"- she's an author and has a FB page. There's a LOT wrong with how many docs treat thyroid conditions. One- many docs only test TSH (instead of doing a full thyroid panel), they use horrible ranges (only treating if someone has TSH over 4.5 or 5.0 rather than 2.0 which is what it should be) and they only use the labs to dial in the dose rather than actually asking you how you feel. If your doctor isn't running a full thyroid panel and asking you how you feel and adjusting your dose accordingly, you need a different doc to treat your thyroid.

Two- thyroid responds tremendously to dietary factors. Most people with thyroid conditions shouldn't drink alcohol, eat processed foods, consume dairy or consume wheat products. You also need to avoid foods you're allergic to, even mildly allergic, and foods you are sensitive to because the way your body responds to eating that stuff causes it to attack your thyroid. Especially if you have Hashi's. Did they run a thyroid antibody test on you and do you know if you have Hashi's? If you do, you also need to make sure you're taking a D3 supplement, because all people who have autoimmune diseases (which is what Hashi's is) are deficient in Vitamin D. Your doc should be testing your serum levels of Vit D occasionally and you should be shooting to keep it around 70.

I struggled for a long time and blamed my weight for a long time on my thyroid. But once I modified my diet, got rid of the garbage (processed food, alcohol, wheat products) the weight started falling off. So thyroid disease can be an obstacle but it's an obstacle you can overcome.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Yes - get all your thyroid levels rechecked. My endo prefers to keep me at a very low range (partly due to how I feel, but in the pass to also help w/achieving pregnancy). They have adjusted what is normal, but it depends on what/who your clinic is. On average it use to be 0-5.0 and of late has dropped down to 0-3.0 (3.5) for a TSH for normal range. However those numbers might not be what works for you, I am usually better and more energy when I am under 1.0, closer to 0. Also, if you are switching between synthroid and a generic script. I have loads of problems when I am on generic and the rest go away with synthroid and I tend to be more level. I alone of those marked medically necessary for synthroid. Others find luck in the armour brand. It all depends on what works for you.

I also agree, Mary Shomon is a good resource for all things thyroid. There is a lot that she covers for all stages. I myself find I return to her when something new arises.

Also, make sure you work with an endocrinologist and not just a GP, you will have better luck w/a good endo. GPs can help, but don't know it all and an endo will have more to pull from to help you and get you on track besides just saying you fit in the correct series of numbers.

Finally - there are things that can cause your med to not work properly such as taking it at the same time as a multi-vitamin, antacids. Citrus base juices within an hour can cause issues. Watch your soy intake as well. Always taking your med at the same time daily and waiting at least a 1/2 hour to eat is best too. And for my clinic, when I have to do a TSH, I am to avoid a multivitamin/biotin for 12 hours before blood draw as this can cause issues in your number.

All told - just a patient here for 20 years, so always check with your doctor. Good luck!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 226.6/173.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Harry - that sounds right depending on where you carry your weight and the manufacturer. I'm 174 and fit fine in a 12, but I have a pair of 10 jeans that fit and a 10 shirt. I suspect those manufacturers do vanity sizing. I'm assuming 10 more pounds for me to be in a 10. When (and not if) I am your weight I will probably be a 10 in most things and able to fit in an 8. My goodness what a dream!
msgooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #9  

Thanks.

It was my goal to be able to fit into a size 8. I go by that 10 pounds=1 size rule.

I want to lose about 15-20 more pounds.

I can't really wrap my head around being a size 6 or 4.

I was just really happy to fit into the size 8.

Last edited by Harrypotterrocks; 08-13-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:22 PM   #10  

There are countless variables, as Dee mentioned. But I am 152 right now, and am wearing a size 4 skirt with an XS top on. Most of my skirts/pants are a size 6. Of course, I also prefer clothes that are form-fitting (okay, maybe even tight?), now that I've expended a considerable amount of effort to lose all of the weight. I do lift weights, though, and carry a lot of weight in my thighs and calves, so that may influence things as well.

Congrats on size 8!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #11  
It's mine for the taking

S/C/G: 238 / see ticker / 188

Height: 5'6"

Here is a site that I always find helpful when I want to visualize what people look like at different sizes and weights. http://www.mybodygallery.com/
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #12  

Thanks. That came in handy.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:04 AM   #13  

Clothing sizes vary not only by manufacturer but also by style. You might be a 10 in another style or even a 12.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #14  
♡ Desire2B ♡

S/C/G: 206ish - mini goal 195

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I agree ^.

Also (my last weight drop, my experience)
it also depends on definition. Have you a toning
and or lifting regime? Flesh when softer is more
dense. Possibly looking and being a bit bigger with sizing.
Desire2b is offline   Reply With Quote