Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 AM   #1  
Mrinalini

Default PCOS and IP

hello everyone!

Recently, I was diagnosed with PCOS, or Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It was really difficult for me, but I my gyeno put me on BC and it should help treat symptoms in the longrun. I am worried because my weight loss has extremely slowed, from 3-4 lbs of FAT lost a week to .25 last weigh in. I'm not cheating or doing anything differently.

PCOS is notorious for making it incredibly difficult to lose weight, and I don't know if that's affecting me now. I just don't want to spend 88+ dollars a week if I don't see the results I want. I'm thinking I might as well go back to running and lifting and seeing if patience can help. I don't know what to do, I'd love some advice. My original goal was to keep going until September 1st to phase off
mrinaliniv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

You can still run and lift, just not at the previous intensities you might have been used to.
There's a 21 page C25K thread for those who want to exercise on IP: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...-couch-5k.html

PCOS is improved with a ketogenic diet and some possible extra herbs and lifestyle adjustments: https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/20...-diet-and-pcos

Discussion from a study done in 2005: The hyperinsulinemia of PCOS appears to increase androgen secretion from the ovary as well as to decrease circulating sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG) [22]. Our study suggested that a LCKD may lead to a reversal of these processes. We speculate that reduction in hyperinsulinemia due to the LCKD would decrease stimulation of ovarian androgen production as well as increase SHBG levels, synergistically limiting the amounts of circulating free-androgens in the serum. In addition, the reduction in LH/FSH ratio exhibited in our study may be indicative of endocrine re-normalization resulting from the LCKD intervention, due to an improvement in insulin sensitivity.

This pilot study was intended to assess whether further research should be directed toward this intervention. We show that for those individuals who were able to comply with the program, the effects were quite dramatic. This magnitude of weight loss with the resolution of PCOS symptoms is a desirable effect in any intervention. Other comparative studies are needed to determine if the effects are due to weight loss or to the specific dietary approach. Another limitation is that the hormonal measures were not taken at specified points during the menstrual cycle. Because none of the women were amenorrheic, these tests may have been confounded by menstrual cycle changes.

The LCKD (low carb ketogenic diet) assessed in this study was designed to simulate the most restrictive periods of several lay-press lifestyle books. Because of the baseline medical evaluation and ongoing medical supervision provided in this study, we allowed individuals to continue the LCKD over most of the six-month period. This approach differs from many of the popular programs, which recommend increasing the carbohydrate level after the first few weeks. For some participants, this dietary change was too demanding.

In summary, in this pilot study, a LCKD led to significant reductions in weight, percent free testosterone, LH/FSH ratio, and fasting serum insulin in women with obesity and PCOS over a six-month period.

Soooo, hang in there, even if weight loss is slow, you would not be losing weight if you were not improving your hyperinsulinemia with this diet.
Sometimes the actual scale loss is slow while your body is healing other systems. Improvements are made invisibly at first, but the weight will come off after your health starts to improve. (what's really most important anyhow )

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 285/274/160

Height: 5'6"

Hi there! So, I also have PCOS - was diagnosed at the age of 14, but also recently had that diagnosis confirmed (as I wasn't sure that the parameters my endo from so many years ago were legit. Guess they were!).

Liana has some REALLY great info in the post above on the scientific side (Thank you!), so I won't go into that, but I will go into what I personally have seen over just the last three weeks that I've been on IP (which have been a bit of a roller coaster).

I had PHENOMENAL losses the first week- nearly 10 lbs. Then had less than a single pound loss the second week. The third week, back up to ~6 lbs down. Depending on when you started the BC, that could be causing part of it. I attribute the lack of loss over that second week to a few things:
1. My endo put me on Metformin. My blood sugar is fine, but she wanted to regulate my cycle, and I don't tolerate BC at all. My body didn't know what to do with the hormones, etc. that were new to my system. I was a hot mess that week - nauseous and not hungry at all most of the day and then I'd be STARVING and carving all the carbs in the world (which was weird b/c I had sweet/sugar cravings before IP, not potato cravings...). Once my body went "ok, I think I know what's going on here," I evened out.
2. I wasn't eating enough, so my body went into starvation mode. Now - a couple of things to point out here. I have A LOT to lose, so the three packets a day + protein + veggies was probably not quite enough for me anyway. This is not the case for everyone. But add in the fact that I have an 8 month old lab puppy that has to be walked a few times a day, and I really wasn't getting enough in. I wasn't feeling weak or all that tired, but I do think my body freaked b/c it wasn't getting enough calories in. I have started adding in a third packet every day on days that I walk for more than 20/30 minutes. Or - and you'll be happy to hear this - on days that I weight train. Agree with Liana - you probably won't be able to go as hard as you used to, especially in the beginning. But give yourself time, and slowly work it in, and you'll definitely be able to get back to doing those kinds of exercises.

I guess my point to the above is - don't necessarily equate the lack of progress at the last WI to the diagnosis or the BC. As for the diagnosis, you've likely had PCOS for awhile, so the 3-4 lbs were happening while you had it. As for the BC, you likely need to just give your body time to adjust and find its new normal. You may not be back to 3-4 lbs, but 2-3 lbs is still GREAT progress. I've NEVER had a diet before that helped me lose the kind of weight I'm losing (even in just three weeks!) with IP. I really believe that once everything normalizes, you'll start to see results again

Hope this helps!
Leslie
leslied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 PM   #4  

Here's the latest blogpost from Dr. Jason Fung, a nephrologist with an interest in diabetes, obesity, and metabolic syndrome:
Fasting and Polycystic Diseases

https://intensivedietarymanagement.c...stic-diseases/

A short but very instructive post.

Liana
Old 08-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 182/174/130

Height: 5'2"

I just started ip and I have pcos. Down 8 pounds in 1 week!
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:58 AM   #6  

Congrats, sprucegoose!

Liana