PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:25 PM   #1  

Default Metformin and Weight Loss?

I just started taking metformin for my PCOS and Insulin Resistance. I take 500 I believe mg 2x a day. I have been taking it for about two weeks, but I haven't noticed any weight loss and I'm beginning to get discouraged. I eat pretty well for the most part and I exercise on a treadmill for 25 minutes walking up hill a day. What I want to know is if it took longer for the metformin to start to kick in for anyone else as far as with the weight loss side of it. I'm 232, 5'8 and a half right now. Thanks.

Last edited by jett77; 03-15-2017 at 03:26 PM.
jett77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I do not have PCOS, but I was put on Metformin for diabetes and lost 20 lbs in the first few months. I'm not sure it was from the Metformin, though. I was getting some nausea every time I ate and contributed the weight loss to that, so I'm not sure if the Metformin caused the nausea or the weight loss. Whatever it was, once the nausea let up, so did the weight loss.

Maybe someone with PCOS will weigh in on this.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #3  

I took Metformin for PCOS in the same dose and didn't lose any weight for the 3 months I took it.
I stopped taking it because it upset my stomach. I have since switched to a low carb diet and have lost 18 pounds.
Don't think it works for everyone because my mom took it for years for Type 2 diabetes and didn't lose a lot of weight with it. But when her doc switched her to another med she started losing weight.

Last edited by Steampunkchick; 05-03-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Steampunkchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331.2/304.8/180

Height: 5'7"

I've been taking Metformin ER for over a year now, and I dropped 40 pounds over 10 months or so without any real changes in my diet or exercising. Unfortunately, I started binge eating and gained it back. Now that I've stopped bingeing, I believe I will lose that weight again. I will say that it is difficult to take due to the nausea it causes. This only seems to be a problem if I don't eat enough with it. The sweet spot for me is about 400-500 calories, so I take it at breakfast and dinner. I also had to increase my dosage 250mg at a time, over the course of a month, because starting at 1000mg made me feel like I was going to die! It's a great medicine though, once you get past the side effects.
Sencha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:07 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 212/192/110

Height: 5'1''

I have been taking metformin for a few months now. I have noticed that metformin by itself does not help with weight loss, but significantly reduces my sweet cravings, and cravings in general. It changed the way I feel hunger - now I feel a weakness, a "falling" in my stomach, and before it was a mad desire to eat something, an irresistible urge. This effect makes it easier to adhere to a food regimen, and therefore it helps me with the weightloss. Its just easier to do the right thing when I'm on it.
debelanka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulin resistance, metformin, pcos, pcos weight loss