Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195.6/185.2/135.9

Height: 5'4"

Default Hello, You can call me Yazzy.

Hi I'm new here. I really want to lose weight. I feel like all I think about is food and counting calories. I don't really know what I am doing. I'm using Myfitnesspal to count calories. I've been reaching my water goal of drinking 64oz every day. I don't even crave sugary drinks anymore. I meal prep chicken and veggies for lunch and have low calorie snacks. I consider that all an improvement from how I used to eat/drink. (however, i fit "bad" snacks, here and there...)

I am a 5'4" female and I put that my goal is to lose 1.5 pounds a week and I plan to run 30 minutes 3 times a week. I weigh 185 and would like to lose 50 pounds. My calorie goal is to eat below 1450 calories and I have been reaching that goal. It's only been a week so far though.

How long does it take to see results? Anyone else using Myfitnesspal? How is everyone doing today?
yazzyfresh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:12 PM   #2  
mjf

In addition to cutting calories it's also important to eat the right foods. A low calorie snack is not necessarily healthy. What snacks do you eat?

If you want faster results, I'd recommend doing some weightlifting (2 or 3 days a week) in addition to the cardio.

If you don't see results yet, it might be because of water weight fluctuation, but you should be able to see results within 2 weeks if you're eating healthy and exercising.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:54 PM   #3  

my healthy snacks are almonds/peanuts, non fat greek yogurt, 100 cal protein shake. I stopped eating chips when even a small bag had so much fat/carbs/calories in it. Chips aren't worth it anymore. I started using weight machines and dumbells after I do my run. I love it! This is barely my first week trying this out so it's probably too soon to see any change. I keep weighing myself everyday and I saw that I gained a few ounces but maybe that's just muscle gain or water weight, like you said? But anyways, thank you for your feedback
Old 05-18-2017, 04:25 PM   #4  
ThinHappy40

S/C/G: 200/170/150

Height: 165

Default well done

you have the right attitude and i am sure you will reach your goal. lots of protein and resistance training works for me
thinhappy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 PM   #5  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazzyfresh22 View Post
my healthy snacks are almonds/peanuts, non fat greek yogurt, 100 cal protein shake. I stopped eating chips when even a small bag had so much fat/carbs/calories in it. Chips aren't worth it anymore. I started using weight machines and dumbells after I do my run. I love it! This is barely my first week trying this out so it's probably too soon to see any change. I keep weighing myself everyday and I saw that I gained a few ounces but maybe that's just muscle gain or water weight, like you said? But anyways, thank you for your feedback
Nuts and greek yogurt are healthy snacks. I'd recommend making your own protein shakes if you don't already do that, as it'll probably be healthier than what you could find in a store.

If you do weightlifting and cardio on the same day, I'd recommend doing the weightlifting first, because otherwise you won't be able to perform as well during the weightlifting. Which weight machines do you use?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #6  

mjf, I'm interested in making my own protein shakes. For the mean time, I buy the light Muscle milk that's 100 calories with about 20g protein in it. I would need to do my research for a good protein powder to buy. Unless you have a recommendation?

Yes, I think you're right about that. I tried to do use a machine that worked out my thighs and glutes after my run and my legs started shaking. So I ended up working out my shoulders and arms that day. Different days I use different machines. I used one that's like a sitting down squat, a glute one, one for my shoulders, one for my upper back, and free weights for my biceps. I either workout my bottom half on one day and my top half on another day. I am new to this so I appreciate all the advice.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #7  
mjf

Quote:
I would need to do my research for a good protein powder to buy. Unless you have a recommendation?
The most popular type is whey protein. I'd recommend looking for one that doesn't have too many added chemicals. If you prefer vegetarian protein, pea protein is popular. I'm not sure which brand to recommend, but I googled it and found these articles:
http://www.prevention.com/food/healt...-for-smoothies
http://www.eatthis.com/protein-powders

I think the sitting down squat is probably the leg press. I'd recommend focusing mostly on compound exercises, to make the most efficient use of your time (I'm not sure exactly which machines you use so I'm not sure which ones are compound). I'd recommend adding bench press (or something similar) to your routine if you don't already do it.

Last edited by mjf; 05-19-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #8  

Hi! I'm Maria! I just signed up to this site, I am looking to give support to anyone that needs it! I was given that help by an incredible group of individuals & want to pay it back by helping others! ��
Mariahdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:07 PM   #9  

mjf, yes, I think you're right. It's the leg press. I don't know what compound exercises are.. I was thinking of setting an appointment with a fitness coach at my gym just to teach me form and give me tips. It's free so might as well take advantage of that. I'll add bench press. I don't think I've worked out my chest at all.Thank you for the links for protein powder. I'll check it out!
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #10  
mjf

Quote:
I don't know what compound exercises are..
A compound exercise works more than 1 muscle group (e.g. squat, bench press, bent over row, overhead press, deadlift, and pullup), so they build more muscle and burn more fat in the same amount of time (compared to isolation exercises). An isolation exercise is an exercise works mostly 1 muscle group (e.g. bicep curl, tricep extension, crunches, cable crossovers, calf raises).