Old 05-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #1  
NOOM user

S/C/G: 300/230.6/170

Height: 5'4

Default Medifast Journey 2017 - Primary discussion #1

Alright, here is the new, new thread....

I will post a link to this in the last thread to redirect people to our little part of the internet.

I am posting Joyce's original discussion point so others can chime in:

Joyce
Thought I would throw another topic out for discussion. This idea was brought up in another thread:

Originally Posted by FluffyFat:
I don't get satisfied with myself when I lose, but I do get anxious. I once heard Dr. Oz say to remind ourselves that just because we're changing how we eat we don't have to feel like we need to change our whole life. It helps me to know that. I've always hated the phrase "life style change." Or when people start saying I'm a whole different person, now.

I remind myself that even if I reach my goal, I don't have to start a different style of dressing, go out more often, say yes to any male attention, take a night course, start a hobby or learn TaiChi. I can still come home and watch TV in my old sweats, I don't have to become some sort of amazing Superwoman.

Joyce's response:
I never thought of it this way. I like this. (I never liked "lifestyle change" either.)
Thank you for sharing, FluffyFat. ! It definitely takes away the overwhelming sense that I need to reinvent myself. I still like the same things: I don't need to compromise my current lifestyle by feeling that I have to go and find new activities, etc. just because the pronouncement:"now you can" is written as the new norm by diet experts.

What are your thoughts?
LauraRVA42011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233.5/215.5/155

Height: 5'6

Goal 1 # 230 MET
Goal 2# 220 MET
Goal 3# 210
Goal 4# 200
Goal 5# 190
Goal 6# 180
Goal 7# 170
Goal 8# 160
Goal 9# 150
Goal 10# 147-149
Yay for each 5 lbs

Last edited by DeniseLebrun; 05-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.
DeniseLebrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:19 PM   #3  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Thanks, Laura, for starting the new thread!

To capture the complete conversation thus far start in the former thread, posts #495 - 500.

Denise! I would strongly encourage you to read through the previous Medifast threads. There is a wealth of info there! Also, chime in frequently on this or any topic and/or questions you may have!

Last edited by MorningGlory1950; 05-02-2017 at 10:20 PM.
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 208.4/179/160

Height: 5'2"

Wow, so much going on! I love seeing all the activity.

I hope everyone is healthy and well particularly Steph and Laura. Please take care of yourselves. Joyce, A big shout-out to you for conquering your set-back with such grace and self-awareness. It really is a day to day awareness of our choices (and acknowledgement of the poor choices as well) that makes the difference.

I have finally started back and my new (old) job and have been inundated with things to do including having retake all the onboarding training I either created or have dealt with extensively due to my previous position. It's all about having the proper documentation under the proper profile. Luckily, I am able to zip through most of it quickly. I am very happy to be back and pleased that I have been welcomed back by those I have previously worked with.

What I am most proud of is hearing my oldest son (30) say, "Mom, your new job is great. I see so many people at your age who say they are to old to learn, to try, to do, to change, etc. but you are the living proof that anything is possible if you want it enough." I've always wanted to be that role model for my sons. To show that you have to keeping learning, growing and trying. I'm so pleased that they have taken it to heart. On Saturday he and I are going to participate (note I did not say run) in a 1/2 marathon. I have done this about 5 times over the years but never with anyone so young. Yikes! I hope he is kind to me! I certainly won't hold him back but I do want that medal for finishing. Healthy carbs on Friday pre-race?

My weight is creeping downwards ever so slowly but that is probably healthier than continuing to lose quickly at this point in my journey. I am at 171.6 this morning. It has forced me to be very aware of every day food choices even in the face of the springtime parties and events. I am really trying hard to make eating this way (good choices and walking away from sweets and overeating) a way of life. I do not want to go backwards. This plan has brought me so far. I am eating only about 2 MF meals/fueling per day now and not being quite as strict. (Hence the weight-loss slow down). I am trying to listen to my body more while still trying to eat small meals throughout the day and a more normal healthy dinner. Last night we ate Parmesan crusted tilapia and a chopped southwestern style salad (it did have a very few tortilla strips on top) and a glass of red wine. I've never been a big night eater so I didn't feel the need for the last MF meal after dinner which is good since my wine was not really L OR G!

Sheila
sheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:11 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 208.4/179/160

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraRVA42011 View Post

I am posting Joyce's original discussion point so others can chime in:

Joyce
Thought I would throw another topic out for discussion. This idea was brought up in another thread:

Originally Posted by FluffyFat:
I don't get satisfied with myself when I lose, but I do get anxious. I once heard Dr. Oz say to remind ourselves that just because we're changing how we eat we don't have to feel like we need to change our whole life. It helps me to know that. I've always hated the phrase "life style change." Or when people start saying I'm a whole different person, now.

I remind myself that even if I reach my goal, I don't have to start a different style of dressing, go out more often, say yes to any male attention, take a night course, start a hobby or learn TaiChi. I can still come home and watch TV in my old sweats, I don't have to become some sort of amazing Superwoman.

Joyce's response:
I never thought of it this way. I like this. (I never liked "lifestyle change" either.)
Thank you for sharing, FluffyFat. ! It definitely takes away the overwhelming sense that I need to reinvent myself. I still like the same things: I don't need to compromise my current lifestyle by feeling that I have to go and find new activities, etc. just because the pronouncement:"now you can" is written as the new norm by diet experts.

What are your thoughts?
For me the "lifestyle change" is all about how I think, deal with and react to food and food choices. Once I have gotten a handle on food the other pieces of my life seem to fall into place. I feel like my old self again with more confidence and excitement about the world. Clothes have become my friends again. However, I do still love my home in the country with distant neighbors, to curl up on the sofa with a good tv show and to avoid a lot of meaningless social obligations. I am much more discriminating about what I do and who I do it with. I think that is as much a factor of maturity and age then not changing my lifestyle because of any weight loss. My husband who is very social tells me jokingly that I hate people. (not true but I can see where he could think that)

10-15 years ago when I first had to start watching when and how I ate, I remember getting on the scale and thinking, Whoa! Up to 170lbs. It's really time to cut back and I did and the weight went away. Then it was Whoa! 180! Time to cut back. The weight went away more slowly and not as much. Fast forward and repeat. Finally I got to the point where I stopped looking at the scale because I didn't want to know. I needed to change the way I looked at food and how I reacted to it. Any other changes that may or may not have occurred because of my relationship with food are secondary. I am just happy to feel like myself again in my own skin.
sheilaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/210/160

Height: 5'5

Smile Got my food!

I had my initial set-up visit yesterday and got my food. I was amazed at the assortment and decided to try lots of different foods to begin with to see what I like. I am going to make Day 1 Thursday, as today I have a party with a dozen women at a friend's house, and I figured it would not be a good day to start. I am up at 3:30a.m., and thought about you all. You are inspiring me. I will have to figure out how to set up all of the cute things you have on your boards. I am starting at 233. My goal is 160. My stretch goal is 150, and if I were truly to get back to where I once was- 135, but that was when I was 25. Now I'm turning 55 in a few weeks. You all are inspiring to me. I picked my food with some of the things you suggested like Peanut Butter Crunch bars and Crunchy Berry cereal. I too have sensitivities to gluten, milk and eggs, but I've decided my number one priority has to be weight loss in my life. So we'll see how MF foods affect me. I will also have to figure out LG meals that I like. Thanks for welcoming me. I will share on Thursday on my first day.
Susan
Hikerdreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:12 AM   #7  
NOOM user

Sheila, glad to hear things are falling into place! Your son is so right, you are awesome and enjoy the half!! It's funny about what he said how people our age say they're too old to learn new things etc. Having been part of hiring a few years ago, I look for people with more maturity when filling a position. They have a work ethic that is greatly in demand. I know there used to be a dominant attitude that past a certain age, you were no longer viable, but when I encounter an older person who thinks they would not qualify for a job they want, I like to remind them that their experience and maturity are valuable commodities. People are surprised to find I'm over 50 because I have an enthusiasm for technology and pop culture. Confidence in what you know goes really far.

As for me, I'm slowly getting better. Resumed my 10k step count yesterday and when I looked back on the last week, my activity levels were much lower than prior weeks, but my food intake did not lower to match it, so I shouldn't be surprised by the slow crawl on the scale. Returning to the gym tonight to ramp up the running again as it's been over a week since my last training session. I think everything is starting to balance out again.

Onward and downward!!
Old 05-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #8  
NOOM user

Susan! As I've mentioned I have sensitivities to gluten and dairy but neither were set off by the Medifast foods, so you may have a better time of it. Do keep in mind the first three days are the worst, and once you get through it, you'll come out the other side feeling much better.

Drink all your water, make sure you eat enough and you'll rock this!!
Old 05-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 232/228/160

Height: 5'11"

Hi everyone- Just caught up on all the posts today but no time to substantively respond to all the thoughtful insights by this group. Been working a TON the past few months! Haven't stepped on a scale in 2 weeks so nothing new to report. I'm just fine not knowing for now.

Can you wonderful ladies that are doing TSFL comment on the reformulated "traditional Medifast" foods? Do they basically taste the same? Better? Worse? I've tried all the new Optavia, but not the reformulated "MF standard." I think I'm going to switch to TSFL for the new order, but need some data on the new stuff before I do. Otherwise, I'll just roll with the "old" regular MF foods via TSFL for now.

Thanks!!

Last edited by TWINCA; 05-03-2017 at 07:30 PM.
TWINCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #10  
Jesus, I trust in You

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCA View Post
Hi everyone-

Can you wonderful ladies that are doing TSFL comment on the reformulated "traditional Medifast" foods? Do they basically taste the same? Better? Worse? I've tried all the new Optavia, but not the reformulated "MF standard." I think I'm going to switch to TSFL for the new order, but need some data on the new stuff before I do. Otherwise, I'll just roll with the "old" regular MF foods via TSFL for now.

Thanks!!
I would suggest staying with the old MF products...reformulated "MF standard" didn't taste any different to me. I tried one of each. Plus they cost more!
MorningGlory1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:06 AM   #11  

Hello everyone Haven't checked in for a couple days. Love reading all of your wonderful results. I ran out of my favorite shakes almost a week ago so I've just been trying to manage. My order dinally came today so I can start pushing harder than ever tomorrow. Haven't gained but stayed the same for about a week. With my fitting about 22 days away it's time to work extremely hard. I'll keep posting hopefully good news from here on. Congrats to all of you doing so good (too many to name all) And welcome all new ladies to the group. We can do this!!!
JEN.CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 06:47 AM   #12  

Thanks Joyce. Just placed my first TSFL order today. I do really like the Optavia chocolate cherry ganache bars and cinnamon swirl cakes, and also the buttermilk herb biscuits and honey chili cranberry bars. The rest are the old Medifast standards (pudding!!). Got 24 boxes overall, including the 5 free boxes since this was my first order, so that's great, too.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #13  
NOOM user

Happy Friday Eve!!

Nice to hear from you, TWINCA! Glad things are still plugging along for you and that you're keeping busy.

I'm feeling better and saw a nice whoosh after upping my activity level. Now I am dealing with a lower back problem that I'm not sure how to fix. I figure it is a result of literally not moving during the weekend, and I find some relief when I move around. I went to the gym last night and after my workout, I used the hydro-massage bed for the first time and it did help a little, but this morning it is so difficult to move. I was hoping to not have to plop down the $$$ for acupuncture, but I think I may not have a choice in the matter.

Hope everyone has a great day!!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:34 AM   #14  

Ok, I just ate MF brownie mix w/o cooking it. Yum.

Has anyone tried these?
https://www.califlourfoods.com/?afmc=3c

I tried making them once, but it was a pain in the butt. I need quick and easy!
Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 AM   #15  
NOOM user

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWINCA View Post
Ok, I just ate MF brownie mix w/o cooking it. Yum.

Has anyone tried these?
https://www.califlourfoods.com/?afmc=3c

I tried making them once, but it was a pain in the butt. I need quick and easy!
I haven't yet, but I've been tempted. I tried making a crust once and it was an epic failure. I am worried it is cost-prohibitive for me as it'd have to be shipped I think. If it was available in stores I'd probably give them a try.