Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 08:21 PM   #1  
Mouth of the South

Default Atkins once again!

I am trying Atkins for the fifth time! Are there any pointers on not getting burned out? I never seem to be able to last longer than a month. One of my friends lost about 15 pounds, but she cheats on the weekends. Any tips? I weigh 200 pounds, and I want to be 125 by Christmas. Let's hope it works this time Is this diet like a water pill to anyone else?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #2  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Hi Catgirl... Welcome!
First let me tell you that there are not many people who can cheat on Atkins and continue to lose weight. The combo. of sugar and carbs on weekends will wreak havoc on the entire premise of getting into ketosis. That being said...my dh is Filipino and he can eat oranges only for 3 days and drop 5 lbs. in that same time....whereas I would GAIN if I did the same.

You need to find out what will work best for you. If you can live low-carb and not constantly feel deprived, it will work. If you get to week 4 and feel like you are missing out on too much - then low-carb might not be the plan for you. I personally feel that there cannot be one weightloss (or maintenance) plan which will fit everyone. It depends on your habits and desires. I easily could give up breads, bagels, rice and pasta - don't miss them at all. My problem is sweets and no good healthy eating plan allows Milky Ways daily - so I settled for the easiest plan for me. My body FEELS better without sugar and carbs.

My dh could never do low-carb. He likes his rolls, rice and pasta too much! So he would do better on a Weight Watchers type of eating plan. And I know many people who have done very well on WW, lowfat and Body for Life. Why not start by making a list of things you feel you cannot live without - and go from there to find a good plan? Losing 75 lbs. in 10 months is do-able (Agressive, but do-able) as long as you take it seriously. Get some type of daily exericse and make a commitment to stick with your chosen plan. Don't compare yourself to others...instead, compare where you are (at any given time) to where you began your journey. I have been stuck now at the same weight since October...BUT compared to where I was last year I'm very pleased so far in my journey.

Good Luck!
Kim
Old 03-03-2004, 09:31 AM   #3  
Mouth of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in NJ
Hi Catgirl... Welcome!
First let me tell you that there are not many people who can cheat on Atkins and continue to lose weight. The combo. of sugar and carbs on weekends will wreak havoc on the entire premise of getting into ketosis. That being said...my dh is Filipino and he can eat oranges only for 3 days and drop 5 lbs. in that same time....whereas I would GAIN if I did the same.

You need to find out what will work best for you. If you can live low-carb and not constantly feel deprived, it will work. If you get to week 4 and feel like you are missing out on too much - then low-carb might not be the plan for you. I personally feel that there cannot be one weightloss (or maintenance) plan which will fit everyone. It depends on your habits and desires. I easily could give up breads, bagels, rice and pasta - don't miss them at all. My problem is sweets and no good healthy eating plan allows Milky Ways daily - so I settled for the easiest plan for me. My body FEELS better without sugar and carbs.

My dh could never do low-carb. He likes his rolls, rice and pasta too much! So he would do better on a Weight Watchers type of eating plan. And I know many people who have done very well on WW, lowfat and Body for Life. Why not start by making a list of things you feel you cannot live without - and go from there to find a good plan? Losing 75 lbs. in 10 months is do-able (Agressive, but do-able) as long as you take it seriously. Get some type of daily exericse and make a commitment to stick with your chosen plan. Don't compare yourself to others...instead, compare where you are (at any given time) to where you began your journey. I have been stuck now at the same weight since October...BUT compared to where I was last year I'm very pleased so far in my journey.

Good Luck!
Kim
Kim,

I feel so much better without sugar too! I just need some dicipline! I need to say no to myself! With God, and support, I can do anything!
Old 03-03-2004, 09:38 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi !!

There's a thread at the top called Frequently Asked Questions, there's tips and pointers there, hope it helps.

Congrats on giving it another whirl.

Hugs !!!!
Old 03-04-2004, 03:55 PM   #5  
Domestic Goddess

The truth about cheating, at least what happens to me. I'll cheat and promise that I'll start induction tomorrow and tomorrow is always put off for another day and then before you know it I've put on a few pounds. Then I start getting into a funky pitty party and eat everything in site......this is the voice of experience!! LOL!!

If you wanted to make weekends different then I would suggest that you try new recipes. There are plenty of low carb desserts that you could try out. Maybe even indulge in a nice juicy grilled steak? Now that soulds yummy to me!!
Old 03-05-2004, 09:35 AM   #6  
Mouth of the South

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyB
The truth about cheating, at least what happens to me. I'll cheat and promise that I'll start induction tomorrow and tomorrow is always put off for another day and then before you know it I've put on a few pounds. Then I start getting into a funky pitty party and eat everything in site......this is the voice of experience!! LOL!!

If you wanted to make weekends different then I would suggest that you try new recipes. There are plenty of low carb desserts that you could try out. Maybe even indulge in a nice juicy grilled steak? Now that soulds yummy to me!!
Thanks to all of you for your advice and support! Support makes all the difference! This is day four, and I survived a church dinner of pizza and brownies. I had brisket before I left the house, and had a salad at the dinner. I felt fine. I didn't feel deprived. I figure that I can choose to eat the way I was, or possibly end up with health problems thata could kill me. They can keep the brownies!
Closed Thread