Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Default Wanted to say Hello..and have a question..

Hello to EVERYONE~!!! Some of you might remember me from a few years ago when I was a regular on the board. I still reading posts but my life is very busy with 5 boys and a DH !!

I've been on Atkins since June of 2003 and I've lost 45 pounds according to the Dr.s scales according to mine it's a little over 50. I"m not worried about the difference.

My question I have is~~ Do YOU have to really watch your portions (meat) to keep your weightloss going? I'be been stalled for four months. I drink coffee...alot of it...and I do have diet sodas....in the past I have never had a problem with either one of these things. That's why I didn't give them up. I do drink my water but my portions are big.

I would be too embarassed to tell you just how much I can eat. When I try to cut down on portion size I end up skipping meals and that makes me more out of control on my portions for the next meal.

Does anyone here take time to weigh out their protien portions? I know that Atkins tells us to eat until we are satisfied but I don't think that's a good idea for me because I like food ...any food!! I need limits! Can anyone relate to this? What do you do? Do you weigh out your foods or measure them?

I have about 100 pounds to lose until I think I'll be at a healthy weight. I know that it's not going to happen overnight but still it's been four months since I"ve lost anything. During the time that I did lose the 45+ pounds I did drink coffee and drank diet soda. I've already promised myself that tomorrow I'll limit myself to 1-2 cups of coffee...not the BIG GULP size mugs ...and NO SODA!! I think that will be a step in the right direction.

A few years back I had a six month stall.......I gave up ....fell off the wagon...hit my head....lost my memory and was kidnapped my the carb bandits. I really want this to work!!!!!!

So any suggestion ? PLEASE!!!!!!! LOL!!!

Blessings to all,

ChrissyB
Old 03-02-2004, 07:11 PM   #2  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Chrissy:

Good to have you back "on board." I am also a massive coffee drinker and diet soda fiend, but I count the carbs from the coffee in my daily count, which leaves very little "wiggle room!"

About the portions..... At first, I could eat 2 pounds of bacon in 1/2 hour (yes, literally 2 pounds), and then still have dinner an hour later and the weight kept on coming off. I'm also finding, like you, that now I have to watch the CALORIES as well as the CARBS. Damn. This is tough because I also can ingest massive amounts of food at one time and not feel "stuffed." What I began doing is eating 5-6 small meals per day. It's more-or-less psychological warfare. I predetermine how much is allowable for the day, and then divvy it up as I go along. The psychological part comes in when I want to eat more and more and more, then I just remind myself that I'll be eating again in an hour. On those occasions when my stomach insists on bursting at its seams, I make a huge salad of 6-8 cups of spinach and some chicken thrown in with high-fat mayo dressing. I count all the carbs, which are still pretty negligible, considering, and feel physically satisfied and psychologically comforted that I haven't blown my diet. In the end, however, moderation is the key to losing and keeping the weight off. Good luck!
Old 03-02-2004, 10:03 PM   #3  
Baby Steps

I need to work out portions also. I've noticed that even though I'm not hungry I still eat what is allowable. I'm not stuffing myself, but I know I'm FULL. I haven't cut down on what I've eaten so not sure if that's why I don't think I've lost weight. And last week was the first week I haven't even lost INCHES. THAT was a bummer. So this is a very good question!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 11:31 PM   #4  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

Chrissy - Welcome!
Do not give up on this program...I need a buddy dealing with the same exact issues as me

I too started Atkins last summer, I too have been stuck since October, I too know that my portions are too large, I too have about 80 more to lose, I too LOVE LOVE LOVE Coffee, and since I read your bio....I too am a Christian and I am jealous that you get to homeschool your boys! I am a wannabe homeschooler stuck in an analyst's body with a stay at home husband. We do hs materials on weekends and incorporate all family activities and vacations around these materials.

Ok - the way I see it for me at least...yes I LOVE to eat! I really do. And YES I am still addicted to chocolate because I have allowed myself to have some on occasion. I did much better when I abstained entirely and I MUST get back into that mindset. But I also know that I am just not moving enough. If I do enjoy to eat this way - then I must move each day to compensate for the large portions of low carb foods I am eating. I am thrilled that I have lost 42 since last July (it was 45 for awhile there).... but I know I can keep going and YOU CAN TOO!

I am going to refuse to weigh my portions because I know I can't stick with that for very long...but I also know if I just get regular exercise I will feel better and be motivated to do even more. How are your exercise habits? I need motivation in that area myself! But no matter what - you've come a long way - don't give up now. Time to re-focus and keep on toward the goal

Last edited by Kim in NJ; 03-02-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:44 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Chrissy,
I do weigh my portions out. Not because I limit them.. OH NO.. I eat large amounts of meat.. but I do it just so I know exactly what 8oz of this or 12oz of that looks like. I know the day will come that I will have to cut down my portion size and when it does I'll be prepared. Once I can start identifying the size of my food with an educated eye I wont be weighing it any longer.
Hang in there and don't give up! I think cutting back on the soda and coffee will help to get you started. I know once I got over my coffee addiction with my beloved high carb french vanilla creamer the pounds came off without barely moving at all. Now I'm incorporating some exercise in just to keep the process moving along. I also count the carbs from any coffee, soda etc into my daily log.
Old 03-03-2004, 08:38 AM   #6  
Domestic Goddess

Exercise would probably help me lose my weight at a better rate of speed and I have exercised during this period....not anything to really talk about. Right now I'm nursing a hurt back. My Dr. is sending me for am MRI to see what the problem is. She mentioned a ruptured disc and wants to rule that out. All I know is it REALLY hurts. I've had back problems ever since I has DS#1 I blame the epidural that they insisted I have. I didn't want it they wanted to give me a C-section but ended up letting me deliver him on my own. Ever since that time my back has been wacky. Almost like electricity shooting out of my spine and into my legs. Sometimes my right leg refuses to move when I want to walk. Not fun......

I am going back on induction for two week and Im not going to allow myself to eat large portions of anything. I'm going to eat normal portions....what ever that is and if I'm still REALLY hungry...not just brain hungry.. then I'll have a little bit more. No ketchup eventhough it was in very small amounts...limiting my coffee and cutting down to one soda a day . I'll have to really up my water. I use to drink a gallon a day........LOL!!! Lately the only water I've been drinking is when I'm done brushing my teeth!!

If induction doesn't get things moving in the downward spiral then I'm going to do the fat fast from the atkins web site. If that doesn't work then I'll consider lyposuction with my Hoover!!

Blessings to all,

ChrissyB
Old 03-03-2004, 09:31 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

ChrissyB how ya doing chickie

The answer to your question, in my opinion and for me, is yes, I have to watch my portions and calories. If I don't stay below 1500 I don't lose squat, if I go just a little above man that scale won't budge. Don't be embarassed to tell me how much you eat, I can eat ALOT, I mean ALOT, like a man for crying out loud.

I bought a digital scale, the thing is wonderful !!! it cost $25 at bed bath and beyond. LOVE IT!!!

BTW Losing 45 - 50 lbs since last year is remarkable, BRAVO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WELL DONE

HUGS and I'm glad to see you again.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:54 AM   #8  
Princess in Training

are you eating the bars and drinking the shakes or eating anything with sugar alcohol by chance?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:18 AM   #9  
Domestic Goddess

No, I don't like the bars. I would rather have bacon!! I have indulged in a candy bar by Ashers. It was sugar free only 2 grams of carbs to have to worry about.... wonderful but I've only had one the entire time I've been low carbing...it's going on 10 months now. I've never been a bread eater. DH and the boys don't understand how I can make bread for them and not even taste it. To me it's not a biggie....but don't let my fry bacon.

Leenie.....It's good to see your here still chating away. I also can eat like a man. LOL!!!!

The digital scale sounds cool. I use to have one. It was a HealthOmeter and it was not reliable to say the least. I could either lose or gain an average of eight pounds overnight. What brand name is your scale? I really need to get back into the habit of weighing myself more often. I know that's probably the oddest thing but I really don't weigh myself often enough. I need to know what's going on BUT...I don't need the obsession!

Have a blessed day,

ChrissyB
Old 03-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #10  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I"m sorry Chrissy, I meant a digital scale to weigh your food. Its wonderful little thing... also those Asher candy bars are so yummy, but boy do I get gas from them.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:23 PM   #11  
Domestic Goddess

Yea, the Ashers made me do the green apple two step!! It was a nice little treat with a cup of coffee...feet up, remote in my hand...you know like a goddess!! LOL!!
Closed Thread