Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 04-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default I cannot come to terms with my body.

I keep focusing on my last weight loss. I lost so much weight before and really looked good, but I could never get over the fact that my skin still sagged the way it did when I was heavier, only just not filled with fat. I cannot stand looking at my arms or my stomach because it's just another reminder of that girl that I used to be that I really want nothing to do with anymore.

And now, I'm on my second weight loss and I'm just like...I know I'm not going to really look the way I want to at the end. I find it really hard to deal with knowing that without plastic surgery or extremely hardcore exercise that may or may not work, I will never have the body that I want. And I don't even want that great of a body -- I just want arms that don't have wings and I don't want to have a permanent muffin top.

I'm tired of being depressed about my body and I just want to live and not worry about it, but it's so hard. How do you guys overcome this stuff???
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

This is something that I am really trying to be positive about.
I did a ton of research on plastic surgery. I visited the bariatric forums to see what they do. I found a large group of ladies that had had massive weight loss. It appears there is a Dr. Sauceda in Monterry, Mexico that is an artist at reconstructing bodies that were in pretty sad shape. I kept researching and found out he is highly respected. Has a very low rate of complications. His work is unreal. When I see others work I am shocked at the huge scars. He does make you wear compression garments while at home for a longer time. This may be part of the success. Also he does not pull the skin too tight but just enough.
The best part is he works under twilight anesthesia and uses an epidermal. Because there is so much less danger to this he is able to do much longer surgeries. He gets everything done with one surgery. This helps him to be able to do this at a much reduced cost. His price for everything is comparable to one procedure in the US. Many also speculate that their pain is so much less and recovery much quicker because of the epidermal and not being put under is so much less stress on your body. I did this with my hysterectomy and it was fantastic.
He works from his own clinic and the hospital is across the street. (Should anyone need it.) Which is great because hospitals are full of gross germs. You stay at his clinic longer then you stay at a hospital in the US. Then he has you stay at a nice hotel down the street. Everyday his nurse Patty comes to help you and he comes once a day also. They never come at the same time.
Anyhow sorry for the book. I may never use him BUT it is comforting to know that there is someone out there who is gifted and affordable to help me. It gives me an option.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 199/123.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubee View Post
This is something that I am really trying to be positive about.
I did a ton of research on plastic surgery. I visited the bariatric forums to see what they do. I found a large group of ladies that had had massive weight loss. It appears there is a Dr. Sauceda in Monterry, Mexico that is an artist at reconstructing bodies that were in pretty sad shape. I kept researching and found out he is highly respected. Has a very low rate of complications. His work is unreal. When I see others work I am shocked at the huge scars. He does make you wear compression garments while at home for a longer time. This may be part of the success. Also he does not pull the skin too tight but just enough.
The best part is he works under twilight anesthesia and uses an epidermal. Because there is so much less danger to this he is able to do much longer surgeries. He gets everything done with one surgery. This helps him to be able to do this at a much reduced cost. His price for everything is comparable to one procedure in the US. Many also speculate that their pain is so much less and recovery much quicker because of the epidermal and not being put under is so much less stress on your body. I did this with my hysterectomy and it was fantastic.
He works from his own clinic and the hospital is across the street. (Should anyone need it.) Which is great because hospitals are full of gross germs. You stay at his clinic longer then you stay at a hospital in the US. Then he has you stay at a nice hotel down the street. Everyday his nurse Patty comes to help you and he comes once a day also. They never come at the same time.
Anyhow sorry for the book. I may never use him BUT it is comforting to know that there is someone out there who is gifted and affordable to help me. It gives me an option.
Thanks for this information I struggle with my excess skin. I've been maintaining for over 4 years, but the excess skin sometimes gets me down. Plastic surgery is just so expensive here in the US.
Carly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #4  

I'd encourage you to focus on radical self acceptance. You're losing weight for your health. You are a fantastic person regardless of how you look. I recommend the book "The Gifts of Imperfection" by Brene Brown.

If you decide to have plastic surgery, save up your money and get a board certified surgeon with a good reputation in the U.S.

Never, never, never do plastic surgery in Mexico or any other third world country. The standards of care are vastly different from what we have in North America/Europe.

There is case after case of irreparable butchering. The dangers of medical tourism to third world countries simply cannot be overstated.

Just Google it or watch an episode or two of Botched.

Last edited by beginme; 07-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
beginme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #5  

You are a beautiful soul, but just keep trying to be positive about yourself. There are so many people struggling about weight loss & problems similar to you. I will suggest you to focus more on what makes you feel happy & amazing, try to be yourself more than to be your body. Love yourself completely & the things will fall into place. Everything is fine, it only bothers you if you are focusing too much on it. Keep living your life to the fullest & make the best of each day, even every sec of your life. Take care. Hope you do well.
kelseysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:33 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 227/218/133

Height: 5' 6"

I'm trying dry skin brushing and daily massage with a body oil.
I saw a woman on YouTube recommend it, she'd lost a lot of weight and the skin came back okay.
I'm hopeful, but realistic.
Also, I've read the best thing for skin recovery, or the appearance of it, is weight training. You might want to look into that. Doesn't suit me.
Pine is offline   Reply With Quote