Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #1  

Default Do weight loss pills work to lose weight?

I lot weight by exercise and tracking my calories. I used myfitness pal. It took me 9 months to go from 153 to 120 lbs. The last few lbs came off gradually but I reached my goal eventually.

However, my friend who is also trying to lose weight asked me how I did it. I then recommended my fitness pal for her to track her food when she asked for it. She used it few times but now she just told me that she ordered cleansing pills to lose weight that you take 3 times a day. I shook my head and told her that she should do it the old fashion way .Anyways,its up to her whatever she wants to do

I have always seen ads about such pills but I don't believe in them. Has anyone tried them? Do they work? just curious?
Telly986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:15 PM   #2  
Warrior Princess

No, they do not work. If they did none of us would be on this forum for years.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #3  

They only have a placebo effect on you
Brittneylol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Hi,

I've been on it (Phentermine) and you could say, had some 'luck' with it! . But would I recommend it to anyone else? Yes and No. If the person has sound metabolism and able to do it naturally, then I would not recommend it to this person. If this person, like me, has sluggish metabolism who cannot lose an ounce even with vigorous dieting or with prudent eating along with exercise and needs some motivation, I would. It is all a very individual experience, it was a plus that this medication proved good to me, without any nauseating side effects.

Last edited by BigNomore71; 10-16-2015 at 02:06 PM.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:32 PM   #5  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

The whole "cleansing" thing is a bunch of fertilizer, better sprinkled in your garden.

Our digestive systems do NOT back up with "whatever!"

If that were the case, eventually we would all EXPLODE!

That said, I will not disrespect, anyone, who finds something, that is helpful, as long as it is very well researched, and comes with a healthy lifestyle and finding peace, with yourself, and what you have.

I will never be Cindy Crawford, I'm to dang short!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
No, they do not work. If they did none of us would be on this forum for years.
I say this ALL THE TIME. If it worked, there would not be an obesity epidemic.
Tell her to eat a or

rm4sqrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #7  

I normally would say no they do not work either as well. The whole "cleansing" fad is particularly annoying as well. You want to "cleanse" your GI system, add some fiber to your diet and drink lots of water. I work for a small marketing agency here, so I’m pretty familiar with all the “tactics” that these weight loss scam/MLM salespeople run. That said, I started using a product a little while ago called ******** that has brought me some great results (I lost an extra .5-.75 per week more than my established curve). I would never fall for some silly pop up ad, no I actually tried some samples from a friend that swore by them. The great thing about this product and this company actually is that they make it plainly clear that they don’t want your money if you have no results. This line of marketing intrigued me, so I chatted with their online support “rep”, picked a formula (I chose the MAX and PM) and off I went to see what the noise was about. Certainly, they don’t promise any crazy results - they bill the product as a tool that suppresses your appetite so that you can easily stick to your reduced calorie diet. Sounds good…check. What blew me away however, was the call I got from their CS rep 10 days later to ensure that I was seeing the results I wanted and to ensure I was using it right. I actually lied and told them that they weren’t working to see how fast they hung up….wrong. She started processing my refund so quickly, that I felt bad and told her that I would give it another two weeks.

As someone who has been on rx phentermine and otc alli (and rx orlistat as well) and has tried a great many weight loss diets, books, cds, pills and dvds - I was very impressed to have finally found something that not only worked, but also was made by somebody who seemed to care. I’m sure that there are some other stand outs in the massive industry - but probably 98% of products are complete BS. Again, I know that we all think that nothing works, but in my case - this one did and still is. It really did help though to know that they really seemed to care about my results and satisfaction. In todays world of faceless internet companies, it really went a long way hearing from a real person, so yeah - I would check them out, you really have nothing to lose. Maybe you can get free stuff too if you you’re cold blooded lol.

Last edited by christinaorr65; 10-28-2015 at 12:28 AM.
christinaorr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #8  
it's always something

Christina, I appreciate your well thought out post. However, I would like to stress that the product you recommend is filled with stimulants, including some products that are potentially dangerous or even lethal. Yes, one of the ingredients has been linked to strokes and death. Their claims of 'safety' concern me.

Besides, NOTHING is more safe and effective than a healthy diet and exercise plan. Sadly, too many people are looking for shortcuts and don't care how much it costs - money or health. I don't understand the logic behind paying that kind of money and risking health just to reach goal a few weeks sooner. That comment is not geared to you specifically, but to the target market for products like these.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
Christina, I appreciate your well thought out post. However, I would like to stress that the product you recommend is filled with stimulants, including some products that are potentially dangerous or even lethal. Yes, one of the ingredients has been linked to strokes and death. Their claims of 'safety' concern me.

Besides, NOTHING is more safe and effective than a healthy diet and exercise plan. Sadly, too many people are looking for shortcuts and don't care how much it costs - money or health. I don't understand the logic behind paying that kind of money and risking health just to reach goal a few weeks sooner. That comment is not geared to you specifically, but to the target market for products like these.
Hi Suzanne, thanks for the thoughtful response. I agree that nothing if more safe and effective than a healthy diet and exercise plan. I've lost nearly 150 (cumulatively, I've gained 40 back total) pounds over the last 10 years using exactly that method. I've also turned to my doctor for help and have gotten various prescription pills. I'm proud of my success and don't consider myself taking any "shortcuts". I can do 7 pull ups unassisted and can deadlift 225lb (PR 10/4/15). I could not have dreamed of doing either one not so long ago.

I also understand the safety issues. So much in fact that I had my Dr. look over the formulas after I started taking one. He commented that he preferred that I use it over the phentermine rx I've used in the past due to the lack of habit forming risks and my blood pressure didn't increase while using it. I'm sure that some people it would not be good for - but then some ppl get elevated blood pressure from a cup of coffee.

I noticed that you redacted the product that I mentioned by not the prescription drugs I noted. I understand the position, of course but again my Dr. has introduced me to a whole world of medicine that many people in the US simply want to ignore for many reasons. Certainly there are many unsafe things. Apparently, eating bacon will kill us as will eating veggies sprayed with defoliants and perticides. I'm certain that you know the controversy over Laetrile B17 as an adjunctive chemotherapeutic agent. Sure the FDA has banned it bc its "dangerous" - but I've seen first hand how dangerous 3 cycles a month of standard chemotherapy protocol consisting of Adriamycin/doxorubicin/Cytoxan can be to a human already suffering from advanced cancer. I wont argue a person on the moon, but I'll take my chance with a natural supplement that got my "quack" MDs blessing.

To be sure, we'll agree on the other 98% products out there, just sharing with OP that sometimes, some stuff can work (even if we cant believe it!)

Go Royals!
christinaorr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 175/170/160

Height: 5 ft 7 in

I have yet to find any diet pill that really works to make people lose weight... There are some nice supplements but these can never take the place of hard work through proper nutrition and exercise. Any other options is someones attempt to lose weight without actually getting anywhere...
SweetLifeLisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 03:26 AM   #11  

I can't believe people still think you can lose weight with diet pills, these things are rubbish and do not work whatsoever. You didn't put the weight on over night so why do you think you can take it off over night.
JamieAlison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:14 PM   #12  

They may give your metabolism a lttle bit of a nudge and help you lose a few pounds, but that is where it ends, however. Reducing carbs and consuming more proteins remain the best ways to lose excess weight, and are better than all the dietary plan pills combined.
FattoFitIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:06 PM   #13  

I do think that they "don't work" but I also wonder if it is because of the way that they are used. For instance. Phentermine.

Phentermine only works for a short period of time. (about 13 weeks) so everyone just gives up and says they are useless. But duh... wouldn't the better approach be that if you are going to USE phentermine you use it for 13 weeks, stop, work hard on maintaining your weight and then, go back on for a 13 week period... stop maintain etc. This would also help keep your body from entering "starvation mode" but NOOOOOOOO

Every doctor / diet plan etc.. has this weird... oh... it all must be done at once. Thing.

I am using Belviq... and one of things that makes me interested is that it is approved for long term use. Now, I cannot see myself being on Belviq for the rest of my life but, it does give me options. For instance.. if I get to a point where i have lost the weight --- I can stay on the drug while I start eating more... so.. that I don't gain and my body gets a chance to get used to more food (and not gain) before I go off the drug.

In addition... there are studies out there that say that "satiety" is the way that you keep your body from going into starvation mode. Well if Belviq makes me satiated on 1000 cals (which is what I need to lose any weight) well, it is possible that this will assist me in not going into starvation mode and thus lose all the weight at once... which is something I normally can't do?

Diet drugs are not always / per se/ bad or a "cheap and easy fix" used appropriately they can be a great assistance in losing the weight and keeping it off.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/146/125

Height: 5'4"

My theory on diet pills is even if thy cut hunger, hunger is not the cause of weight gain. We eat out of habit or boredom or stress or eating the wrong things. Diet pills don't change habits.
LaLa12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:04 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 470 / 430 / 150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittneylol2 View Post
They only have a placebo effect on you
I agree with this, and I think that the placebo effect is not only useless in terms of weight loss, but harmful. If you think a pill's doing all the work for you, you may be more likely to eat more/make less healthy decisions because of it.

It sounds like the OP's friend is just not ready to start her weight loss journey right now. It doesn't mean she never will, but not right now.
RubySnacks is offline   Reply With Quote