General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:42 AM   #1  

Default Intuitive Eating Support Thread #2

Guess we have to start a new thread.
carolr3639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #2  

Everyone welcome.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I made the mistake of hopping on the scale and finding out I've gained a couple of pounds. Tis the season for apple pie I suppose.

I found this tip and I will be trying it today. http://www.refinery29.uk/2016/10/125881/intuitive-eating-post-it-trick
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #4  

Ha ha.
Old 10-18-2016, 10:09 AM   #5  

It made me laugh.
Old 10-19-2016, 11:29 AM   #6  

I liked the sticky note article/idea. I definitely think it could make a difference. Let us know how it goes Palestrina!

I noticed something interesting last night. I have pretty much stopped eating after dinnertime. I usually have a small bit of something sweet about 10 minutes after dinner and then I don't eat until morning, even if I feel a little hungry before bed. I started doing this because it seemed every time I ate before bed, even just a little bit, it made it hard to sleep. I have come to really enjoy that empty feeling before bed as well.

So its probably been about 2 months that I have been consistently doing that. Last night a couple hours after dinner I really wanted some food. Because I pretty much just don't eat after dinner it was unusual for me so I examined it and realized it wasn't physical hunger, it was definitely the urge to soothe as we have had some stressful stuff going on. I thought about eating anyway, but then I got busy with my usual routine and forgot all about it since I wasn't actually hungry. I realized as I went to bed that I never did follow the eating urge and I think its because its more unusual now for me to eat after dinner, than it is to eat. If I was still eating after dinner and before bed, Im sure I would have not questioned the urge and just eaten.

So, for me I think habit is important too. maybe habit working in conjunction with listening to my body? Anyway, I definitely don't think it would work to make a rule of never eating after dinner, like in a diet or eating rules, its just a self care thing I started doing for myself after I realized I didn't get good sleep from late night snacking.

Another thing I have started noticing is that certain foods actually affect my mood. Sometimes if I eat food that my brain doesn't really want, but that my body does, I feel much better. Like vegetables. I physically feel so much better when I eat lots of vegetables. So, even if Im not craving them, I make them part of almost every meal now and I always feel great after I eat them so I keep eating them, even though my head thinks I just want something like peanut butter and bread or a bowl of cereal. It's weird. Like the other day, I was craving a peanut butter banana sandwich. I made half of one and then ate a peanut butter cookie. Shortly after that I noticed I was suddenly feeling sad and depressed. So, I ate some green beans with a little bit of baked chicken and shortly after, even though we got some bad news in the interim, I felt so much better! It was kind of crazy.

I would like to get to that point with exercise but so far I haven't gotten there. I know exercise makes me feel so much better, but the motivation has not yet been there for me to be consistent with it. Baby steps though right? I did some yoga 2 days ago and it felt amazing yet I still haven't done any since. I don't know what my block with exercise is.

Anyway, just some ramblings for anyone who is reading. Maybe it will be helpful to someone down the road.
Pinkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:25 AM   #7  

I can't sleep when I'm hungry but then I have a lot of trouble sleeping because of neuropathy.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #8  

Yeah I have a hard time sleeping too but just because of my anxiety I think. Feeling anything in my stomach seems to keep me up longer though.

Our stressful situation seems to be finally hopefully resolved for the most part so Im hoping that will also help me with sleeping and anxiety. And emotional eating urges.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #9  

Just me hanging out here on this thread!

So, I started drinking anti anxiety tea before bed and I have found it helpful. I have found it so helpful and enjoyable to be relieved of so much of my anxiety that I also started doing more meditational techniques.

I also started just dancing around to music in my bedroom. I love to dance and always have but either a. feel too self conscious about it, even by myself. Or b. like I'm not working hard enough burning enough calories, working my muscles the right way.

However, I think I finally started moving for the joy of moving. If I just focus on how good it feels and how happy it makes me, it is easier to overcome all those other thoughts. It's funny sometimes when I am dancing around I still get the random thought of "you are 40 years old, what do you think you are doing?" Like it would be better if I was 25? That thought makes no logical sense.

My mind seems to be my own worst enemy in taking care of myself.

As far as eating goes, I'm still eating way more veggies than I used to and feeling the benefits. I also feel like I am getting better at stopping when I am full, or getting more in tune with my body than I used to be. Now I can really feel the sensation of fullness really strongly where it used to be very hard to tell if I was full. I am now eating pretty much 3 meals a day because eating more times than that starts to get more murky for me being able to tell if I am hungry and consequently, satisfied and full.

How is everyone else doing?
Old 11-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Pinkhippie, I love dancing too. I don't dance in my house though, I go to zumba classes. Eventually when I have enough time I want to sign up for hip hop classes, I've done a few and they're really fun.

I feel like my body is very angry. My pelvic injury is flared up again and I've gained a little bit of weight recently. I put on my fat pants (the pants I wear when nothing else seems to fit) and they were tight. Obviously that didn't feel good. But walking has been so difficult for me. Yesterday I realized that walking around makes me out of breath - that has never happened before. I'm worried that something is wrong because I've had some rapid weight gain recently. I'll be seeing my doctor soon.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:35 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palestrina View Post
Hi Pinkhippie, I love dancing too. I don't dance in my house though, I go to zumba classes. Eventually when I have enough time I want to sign up for hip hop classes, I've done a few and they're really fun.

I feel like my body is very angry. My pelvic injury is flared up again and I've gained a little bit of weight recently. I put on my fat pants (the pants I wear when nothing else seems to fit) and they were tight. Obviously that didn't feel good. But walking has been so difficult for me. Yesterday I realized that walking around makes me out of breath - that has never happened before. I'm worried that something is wrong because I've had some rapid weight gain recently. I'll be seeing my doctor soon.
That isawesome that you take Zumba! I would love to do some classes at some point. Financially and timewise right now it works better for me to get down in my house. Im hoping that once my husband is employed again, I will be able to do something like that. I have a friend that does Zumba and she loves it! I have a good amount of ballet training from childhood/teen years and I think it would be cool to take an adult ballet class one of these days as well.

Im sorry to hear about your pelvic injury. I have a chronic ankle injury that sometimes flares up and makes it painful to walk or get any kind of exercise and it is so disheartening and distressing. I am glad you are seeing your Dr, sounds like something is definitely going on with your body. Good for you for taking care of yourself and addressing it.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #12  

I couldn't get satisfied this morning. Had crackers with meat spread, toast with nut butter and strawberries, orange juice and more cheese crackers. Finally just gave up.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #13  

I have days like that sometimes. The toast with nut butter and strawberries sounds good.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #14  

Thanks .
Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #15  

New favorite breakfast: oatmeal with chopped apples with a pat of butter, cooked for 3 minutes in the microwave and then drizzled with maple syrup and sprinkled with walnuts. yum!

I am feeling worried about my husband. He has gained a lot of weight recently. His dad died in his early sixties from weight related diabetes and heart complications. My husband has major texture aversions and pretty much eats only processed foods except for the salsa he makes from scratch every week ( with corn chips) and his meal replacement raw meal shakes of which he has several. Other than that, its tombstone pizzas, pizza rolls, chicken nuggets, corn chips, beef jerky, dry cereal, and cookies or smarties. It is hard to watch and handle lately. I also feel I can't really say anything as I am "intuitively" enjoying a bowl of ice cream or a big helping of pasta alfredo.

My husband has always talked about his blood sugar problems and having to eat every few hours. He laughs at my idea of only eating when Im hungry and thinks I am a weirdo for following that. In fact just this morning we had a conversation about it. I don't even think he knows when he is hungry. He rides his bike about 30 miles a week and refuses to believe me that that alone will keep his weight down and him healthy.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I am not sure what to do but it helps to talk about it.