Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 05:31 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2017 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Kennedy establishes Peace Corps (1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included stopping to get my hair cut. As happens often, my barber whistled under her breath and let me know it'd been a long time since I'd been there. I know that I need a haircut when my cap can't fit down on my head, so it's harder to notice in winter since all my winter hats expand easily, LOL.

Evening snack was a pair of Clementines. For some reason, this batch is just super sweet and juicy. As much as I miss my summer blueberries and peaches, winter citrus fruits are such a treat.

onebyone – Yep, "I have to just trust this is working and keep going" - Kudos for making the only sane choice. And Kudos for accepting that it's your body chemistry at work after you've done your part by staying your plan.

maryann - I'll have to try using baby carrots when I have a sweet craving.

nationalparker – Sending supportive thoughts as your family faces your DB's medical news. Kudos for being able to concentrate on your meal planning, anyway.

Karen (karenrn) - Ouch for glasses being nibbled by Otis. Glad he's OK.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

Escape the Self-Criticizer Trap
. . .
  • Remember it's not a question of if you'll make a mistake, it's when. Accept your imperfection and move on. Turn your attention to something else.

• Make a list of the foundation strategies you've still practiced, even when you feel like it's been a bad week. Pay particular attention to giving yourself credit.

• Be sure that you're taking an accurate look at what is going on and that you're not overly focusing on what you think you did poorly.

• Remember that if you wouldn't beat up your friends for making a mistake, you shouldn't beat yourself up for making a mistake. You're human, just as you are.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 207
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

morning coaches!
I went to water aerobics and it was a great workout- one full hour nonstop. It was quite tiring, there was no warm up or cool down, just go go go. I would love to do it more often but it is a bit of a hike from my house and takes up a lot of time with the logistics so once in awhile it is. Being in water always seems to rev up my metabolism!

I am going to try acupuncture as a means of dealing with my leg pain. Its been going on a few months and I am up for trying something new, so we’ll see.

Nationalparker- I am so sorry about your brother. Putting you and he in my prayers.

Wave to all- goodness, can't believe its March 1!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up sv today

Coaches

Finally. Scale read 262 this morning. Can I maintain the loss? I plan to. I've never had such a stubborn plateau before. I am sure there are more ahead. I need to note this one and that I did break through it after three weeks. I would love to change my ticker but I weigh, officially on Tuesdays. It's great incentive to stay on plan and to protect, and encourage, more losses.

Hope springs eternal.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:49 AM   #5  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hello

Sending supportive thoughts to Nationalparker. Such difficult news and so many unknowns.

Curlyjax, I love water aerobics. I live a block from our rec center here but never go since we have annual passes at the pool in Glenwood. I have the schedule downstairs. I will check and see if a class works this week during my days off.

BBE, yay for a haircut. Yesterday at work a guy at locals table was discussing he had just cut his own hair....he was wearing a hat....probably for a reason.

MaryAnn, kudos to DS(and to wonderful parents)! What Debussey piece did he perform?

Congrats, onebyone!

Me, doing ok. Had much better food days at work after Saturday's surprise. Planning helped. I ordered 1/2 oatmeal both Monday and Tuesday in addition to smoothie. Other than that, it was too busy to eat. I have been fitting in my freeweights every morning. Went upstairs yesterday for the 5 minutes even though I "should" have been heading out the door to work. I was still the first one to arrive. IT's all good. Down to Denver today for errands and a meeting. The group often lunches afterwards. If it's Olive Garden, we will go, since there is a healthy option, if it's the Chinese choice I think we will pass. Perhaps go to OG on our own. Aha, a decision (plan) is formed.

Take care everyone!

Last edited by Lexxiss; 03-01-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Lexxis: DS played a Debussy Arabesque.

Nationalparker: Prayers for your DB.

Carrots worked pretty well. Today is Ash Wednesday and I have a plan.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

It's an absolutely beautiful day here today. Two friends and I hiked the Granite Mountain Loop. One of them is a new hiker and hadn't done that one. It is beautiful, but not difficult. I think she might want to do more hiking and I've got her looking on You Tube at the Camelback Echo Canyon hike. She has lived here for years and has not done that hike, but I don't want her to start out and wish she hadn't. There is a little scrambling or something like it involved in a couple of areas. We stopped for lunch after the hike and they brought 3 huge chicken tacos for me. I ate one and I think the other two will be for our dinner with a large side salad. I saw a chicken adobo recipe that I want to try, but it should marinade over night . . so that will work for tomorrow.

The fellow is here putting the finish coat on the hall wood floor. Can you believe it might finally really be done? Tomorrow I will be doing a lot of housework, because the sanding yesterday left a fine layer of dust everywhere even though he tried to seal the room.

Maryann Glad the carrots worked. I still haven't come up with a plan for Lent and it is Lent. I haven't had a sweet or alcohol yet, but I don't think I can give them up for the entire time. I'm thinking it might be alcohol except when my company is here.

Lexxiss Good job on getting your free weights in daily.

Onebyone Happy for you that the scale is moving in the right direction again.

Curlyjax What is going on with your leg anyway? My Mom once had sciatica badly for quite a long time and finally she says she swam it away. I hope the water aerobics are good or at least not hard on the leg.

Bill That is funny about how long you wait in between haircuts. You know I might too if I didn't have them covering the grey.

Nationalparker I am so sorry to hear db's test results were not good. How is he feeling?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:05 PM   #8  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Strange day for me - was awake much of the night as we were under tornado watch (not warning) but I always worry when they're at night that we'll miss the change to warning and not know of threatening weather. The winds were so strong, the house was creaking, and the lightning and thunder were jarring. I know I kept DH awake off and on through the night, too. I was tired when morning finally zipped up on me. There were candy bars, caramel corn, popcorn and huge cookies at work today. I did take a bit of popcorn and caramel corn. Thought about it on the drive home tonight, sometimes I'm too hard on myself. I had about 15 pieces of caramel corn, taking one or three here and there. That's hardly a complete failure. I need to let my mind accept that 100% on any plan isn't feasible every day. I'm surprised we did it nearly 100% when actively trying to lose. And the funny is, this plan's author doesn't say you need to stay on in 100% ... she says find what works for you - do breakfasts/snacks/lunches on one phase and dinners on the more free one work? I'm the one putting the pressure on my own self. I think I'm a control freak.

My brother has been in a lot of pain - he tries to not take as much of the hydrocodone as they prescribe and it's as needed, and of course he hears how quickly patients can get addicted to opiods, and he doesn't want that. It's a dance between the drs. not wanting him in pain and him not wanting to be too doped up. So with the increase in his pain, he said he had a feeling that the tumor was not diminishing. Talked to DH and I'm going to go down for a week. Talked to my supervisor this morning (we're a casual office, so it wasn't a big deal) and he had already shared the news with our director who said GO. This time, though, I'm just to take sick time and not worry about work. I questioned if it was because they had any doubts that I was doing what I said I was doing last time - NO, not at all. That was a concern of mine. I hate to use so much sick time so early in the year, but have already discussed if I have to take FMLA down the line, we are in a position that we can handle the impact on the income.

Thank you all for your well-wishes and thoughts and prayers. He was so excited about me coming down, he called me back this morning to give me dates that worked well for them both. So I'd like to book my ticket tonight to give us all something to look forward to. He's not eating as much - said he's lost a lot of weight, and I'd like to go with a little list of food ideas that might entice him to eat a little bit more, that work in well with his tastes and that won't add digestion distress. A project
Old 03-02-2017, 05:34 AM   #9  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning Coaches

Quick check in, just super busy not practicing avoidance.

Nationalparker, sending prayers for you, your brother and family.

Waving hello to everyone else.

Take Care

Ann
Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #10  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Dr. Seuss born (1904, Hooterville)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the DGD, CREDIT moi. Her new word is 'owl' prompting DW to sit her on the rug in the living room so she could hold our brass owl that sits high on a bookcase she can't reach. Bad idea. She was gentle enough with it - it's quite heavy - but she had no intention of stopping. Ever. She wanted to play, hug, twirl, kiss, fondle, and pat it forever. Seems that changing direction isn't easy for this kid. So it becomes VERY not easy for any adult in the vicinity. Don't know what lesson to learn since we want to continue to introduce stuff into her life. On an even higher shelf stands this hippopotamus that was a favorite of DGD's mother as a little girl (but older than 17 months). She played with it only with close adult supervision. Not sure when this will get introduced.

Eating was OK until evening snack. I walked to a store and got some Ben and Jerry's ice cream instead of the two Clementine's on my plan. Only redeeming aspect is that I didn't eat the whole pint - as I've been known to do in the past. Part of the 'naughty' aspect of the event was leaving the house with no hat, coat, or boots. I felt like I was sneaking out with just a canvas bag to bring home the loot. Moving on.

onebyone – Kudos for using your scale reading as resolve to continue.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for "Aha, a decision (plan) is formed." [LOL at the guy who cut his own hair and then wore a cap over it during lunch.]

maryann - Always Kudos for "and I have a plan." I'm listening to this as I type picturing the face of your DS at an earlier age.

nationalparker – Super Kudos for 'getting it' !!! "sometimes I'm too hard on myself ... That's hardly a complete failure. I need to let my mind accept that 100% on any plan isn't feasible every day."

Karen (karenrn) - Love the notion that " a little scrambling or something like it" is still in your definition of an easy hike. Kudos for parceling out the chicken tacos. [My first gray appeared when I was 14 - before hair coloring was invented, LOL.]

curlyjax - Neat that water aerobics works so well for you.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 9 Psychological Traps

#3: The Overcompensation Trap
You make a mistake and decide you won't
eat anything else for the rest of the day
Brianna, an office assistant and part-time student, struggled with this trap. She attended brunch at a friend's house one Saturday and couldn't believe how much food was served. She ate "way too much." When she left the brunch, she felt guilty.

I asked Brianna what had happened next. "Well," she said, "I got home around three. I figured since I had eaten so much, I shouldn't eat anything else that day to make up for it. But I guess around seven o'clock, I started to get really hungry. I ended up ordering Chinese food and ate a huge amount. It was really bad."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 207
Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #11  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up persisting in my latest victory

Coaches, good morning!

Hopped on the scale this morning and it read 263. Ok. Small enough bounce up. NOT 265. YAY.

Yesterday was a good day. My friend drove me 90 min north to drop my print submission off and we were pleasantly surprised by the bustle of the small, mostly tourist, town! Seemed like there were restaurants galore on main street. All were open. We found a local coffee shop an they had a coffee roaster and they roasted their own beans. A pleasant surprise. I left the joint to go get some cash at the bank and when I came back my friend was in a deep conversation with the owner about why he moved there and how his kids like it and how is his coffee business. My friend asks anyone anything. I find it fascinating. I do this very selectively but she does it everywhere and anytime. I like this trait of hers as I am also curious so I benefit from her curiosity without the work. I just get to chime in.

We did not just do coffee though. We went into the local bakery. I ended up eating about 5 different kinds of sweet things during the course of the day. After not having any sugar for a couple of months holy cow is sugar sweet! Like, really sweet. I am grateful it did not trigger cravings. Now the pastry, that was a different story. Coffeeshop-owner-guy invited us to this event! Yikes.

Food went back to new normal last night and I am on track and planning an on track day today. I am determined to persist in my scale and non-scale victories. If I slip up in the next few days that pesky 265 will return. I sincerely do not want to see it.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-02-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Phone check in.

Successfully stayed away from sweets at work for first day of Lent. Long, long day driving to lessons and Mass. I'm to the point in which more than one event in a week is overwhelming. I had PT in another city on Monday and then drove an hour away yesterday. Oh well, credit for not throwing a tantrum. I might have in the past. Sleep is not great and I kicked bedpost at night and think I brought my toe. Drat!!!

So my plan is to use the toe injury as an excuse to get back to Pilates. I can't walk but I can do that. Green smoothie is in the vitamix. It has taken three days to get restaurant meals salt weight dropped. Are they really worth it? Lunch is a salad and that makes two green meals. Carrots are for snack.

Two new teachers coming in to observe today. I still get a little nervous. I should be happy that veteran teachers and admin bring newbies to me as a positive example. Eating sweets is not a cure for feeling a little too visible however.

BBE: Yep that is the piece. So beautiful. His next challenge is Grieg's Trolhauden (sp)

Last edited by maryann; 03-02-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

And I am listening to that piano piece as I type this. It is spectacular. It would be wonderful to have your son in the house practicing.

Food is on plan and exercise today is housework. Lots of it. There is the fine layer of dust from the floor being sanded and it is going to be work to clean every surface. Of course the further from the hall the better. My plan is to clean for 45 minutes and then take a 15 minute break. This is my first break. Otis is afraid of the cleaning tools, including the vacuum and mop, so it takes extra work to be sure he is okay. I accidentally left the dust mop and vacuum near his food and water and that wasn't going to work. He wouldn't go near them.

Well, this break is over. Personals maybe later or tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Hi coaches! Acupuncture was interesting. I really didn’t feel anything after the initial pinch. I’m going to try it a few more times and see if it helps my leg pain. I asked how it could affect weight loss and she said it can help stop cravings, so she put in a pin for that too! Anything that helps sounds good to me! It was however incredibly boring as you couldn’t move at all for almost an hour.

I made some healthier blueberry muffins so I can have dessert and not overindulge. They are the type of things my DH will eat and say, yup, that sure tastes healthyApparently not enough sugar for him.

Karenrn- ooh, good luck with the cleanup, that doesn’t sound fun, but the end result sounds wonderful! My leg- its just been bothering me on and off for months, muscle pain. I thought I would try some different strategies to deal with it.

Nationalparker- so glad you can visit your brother. Your workplace sounds wonderfully understanding.
Onebyone- yikes, I would avoid that event!! Too much temptation for me! Keep on, you are doing great!
Bill- sounds to me like a stuffed owl would be a great toy. There is an adorable board book called Owl Babies I remember reading to me kids fondly, she might like htat.
Lexiss- good job on the freeweights! I need to keep going with that too.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 PM   #15  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

The strange weather continues - walked quickly with our dog after work last night but it was just frigid. I wasn't properly dressed. It was 20 with the wind chill and I'd anticipated closer to 40. Then sleet by the time DH got home ... the sustained winds were so strong. Then snow briefly this morning on my way into work. In like a lion ...

OP so far today - I want to pick up a rotisserie chicken on my way home (don't tell me about sodium weight, Bill - I'm aiming to weigh in tomorrow! ack!) to top a decent salad for dinner - quick meal/prep and hopefully we can get to the art museum. I know I say I'll just go alone if he can't get out, but some evenings, staying at home in cozy clothes with a fire sounds just as wonderful. On my quick art museum trips, I like to hit my favorites, kind of zipping from gallery to gallery to check in with a few favorites - they're waiting for me to admire and bask in their beauty: At the End of the Porch, Afternoon - Yellow Room, Sunlight and Calypso - to add some sunshine to a dreary week.

Karen - That reminds me of the first time I vacuumed after we brought our dog, Lucy, into our home. She was afraid of the vacuum, but mainly because I had inadvertently looped the cord around her food bowl (it's in the living room by the hearth - i have NO IDEA WHY, now that I think about it!!) ... anyway, as I was vacuuming, I was dragging it around the room and she was starved when she showed up, so food was - and remains - a focus. The fact that her newly filled bowl was not staying put was quite stressful. So, fast forward six years, and she STILL runs to eat whenever we start vacuuming...making sure she gets that next meal before something happens to her bowl. You know, I hope I didn't just write this out a few weeks ago. It's sounding familiar.

Maryann - I contemplated restarting my pilates this week and got as far the hundreds and realized how terribly long it's been! Hope your toe doesn't suffer through being on your feet teaching.

Bill - That's pretty cool that your DGD has the ability to focus on something for a while, and not get so easily sidetracked. Somehow you enjoying some Ben & Jerry's is comforting to me. Because I only want fruit so much every week. (But we're coming up to phase 3 ... also known as avocado phase by the plan's author! And THAT, I will enjoy.)

OneByOne - Sounds like a wonderful day yesterday - good luck staving off any bounce-back sweet desire after the bakery treats. I'd be struggling! I know I couldn't rein it in for the tart festival. Of course, I ate at more than a few Tim Hortons on our last trip your way

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-02-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Closed Thread