Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-13-2017, 05:48 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat: February 13 - February 19

The most difficult snow to shovel is the mound dumped on the end of our driveway by the snow plow pushing it from the street. It's wet, heavy snow that the snow blower can't handle. I work at getting myself to declare that I'm happy to get the resistance exercise.

Everything I have planned for today has been cancelled due to the pending storm - that will or won't hit us. Oh, well.

Hope snow is under control in your part of the world, Dagmar.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good morning!

The snow fell for close to 6 hours yesterday Bill. It was quite fluffy and DH was able to clear most of it with the snowblower. It took 3 goes, each about 2 hours apart. I did the porch and deck by hand and I feel it a bit this morning.

The plow came through late last night and I have to go deal with the windrow (fancy name for area of the road that meets our driveway) after I get dressed.

Driving and parking in all the tiny streets where I work will be a challenge today. I know the hills are already plowed and salted so that won't be a problem. I'm hoping there was big wind at the beach which usually blows the sand nearest to the water clean. Then I can quite easily walk there.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Have just had a blowy walk around castle's grounds with a friend. Snow on the mountains and spring flowers in the grounds: snowdrops, aconites, crocus and ... mimosa! It's very, very sheltered in that part and the mimosa loves it. Not a usual plant for us here.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:13 AM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

We had an ice storm yesterday which kept me away from the movie theater, and only late in the day turned into rain. Today it's sunny & cold & brittle. The footing on the way to the gym was treacherous in stretches where building superintendents weren't obliged to shovel. There's a noisy wind, whistling through in-wall airconditioner and around doorways and windows.

The winter is definitely wearing on me.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Brrrrr--- all of your stories of winter make me cold just thinking about them! We warmed up yesterday into the low 60's and I wore shorts! I ended up being cold but I'm so ready for Spring/Summer!

I spent much of yesterday at the hair salon. I hate just sitting! It makes me stir crazy. I am ready to move today!

Gotta work on getting a few pounds off before my birthday/ weekend getaway in a couple weeks... Must. Stay. Focused.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

And I'm wearing shorts and a sleeveless top to work today. Granted I do have my space heater on under my desk, but it is a beautiful day. I think we're expecting a high of about 72 today.

We went to the polo fields yesterday for a nice luncheon. Well, the company was good. The food, not so much. I don't know why they had to over salt the meat, but everyone at our table complained and didn't finish it.

Two day work week for me and we're off to Mesquite for golf! And next week, with the holiday, is only 4 days!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #7  

[QUOTE=alinnell;5301128]And I'm wearing shorts and a sleeveless top to work today. Granted I do have my space heater on under my desk, but it is a beautiful day. I think we're expecting a high of about 72 today.
QUOTE]

I'm envious Allison. I wore 3 layers of clothes on top - turtleneck, fleece hoodie, parka and two on the bottom - tights and insulated snow pants, snow boots, and gloves to work today. Hard to bend in the middle to pick up the dog p**p. Walking was fine though - the beach, where I work, had much less snow than 4 km north of it, where I live. Going to do my "dinner" pets now, all 6 of them!

Dagmar
Old 02-16-2017, 09:01 PM   #8  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

It's still cold here, but I'm reveling in the fact that it's finally light again when I drive to work and back. This winter has been really hard for me, though not at all because of the weather: work is a never-ending frustration.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:11 AM   #9  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm still driving home in the dark. This morning, we've got one of those bitter cold winds that making noises in all of the windows and door frames. I will need to layer up while sitting at my laptop, as I won't be moving around much and I tend to get very cold while sedentary.

Three-day weekend, and I need it.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:21 AM   #10  
in development

I find wearing a hat helps, saef, for what it's worth. Plus something like a jumper or blanket tied around my waist and legs. Chic, I like to think. (I've been known to be wrong about a few things ...)
Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #11  

We are going to have a 3-day weekend of much needed spring weather. I'm working tomorrow but took Su. & Mon. off. Some of that will be spent on catching up house stuff but I'm going to be taking Trixie out in the gorgeous weather without my snowboots or my parka.

Dagmar
Old 02-17-2017, 09:57 AM   #12  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I find wearing a hat helps, saef, for what it's worth. Plus something like a jumper or blanket tied around my waist and legs. Chic, I like to think. (I've been known to be wrong about a few things ...)
In the language of her tribe, a 'jumper' is what's called a 'sweater' in American English.

Hope this helps.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 AM   #13  
Workin' It

Bill - laughing at 'in the language of her tribe'.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:25 AM   #14  
in development

He is right. It's what we say. When we're not saying 'jersey' but there aren't many of those people left now. They call it Progress but I think they are wrong.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I was excited last night when I got done with Hot Pilates and it wasn't pitch dark yet (6 pm). I love the longer days.

Happy 3 day weekend to those of us who have it! I do! I'm planning on seeing a friend that I haven't seen in months-- her elderly dachshund died recently and they got two dachshund puppies-- I can't wait to meet them! Besides that, I'm not sure what I'll do. Yoga for sure.... dh has to work and it's going to be rainy.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote