View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
Summerlover
Mommy, wife, teacher

I have a lot to say, so I'll just say it.

The power of cues...I am working really hard with my DD to notice when she is hungry and full. I no longer know how to only eat when I'm hungry, and stop eating when I'm full. My favorite external cues include:
1. sight of food
2. aroma of food
3. flavor of food
4. watching tv
5. being offered food
6. vacations
7. parties
8. food advertisements
What really frightens me is the paragraph, Scientists also believe that another reaction is triggered...in response to the sight of a pie, your body begins to churn out more of the hormone insulin. Even if you don't eat a single morsel of pie, insulin begins to do a couple of its regular jobs. It accelerates the intake of fat into cells for storage (yes, just looking at food may make you fat). Second, insulin reduces levels of blood sugar in your body, which it ordinarily does after you've eaten, in order to move that blood sugar into your cells for energy. This creates a state of low blood sugar that leads to hunger. When I think of all the times I would watch tv and I would salivate over a commercial, or be somewhere where there was delicious food, I am blown away. This is so horrible...especially the way fast food companies are making us fat even if we don't eat fast food!

FOOD IS EVERYWHERE...DO I NEED TO WALK AROUND WEARING A BLINDFOLD AND A NOSEPLUG IN ORDER TO BE THIN?!

I agree with Dr. Phil that programming is the key, because I have no willpower.

I think the paragraph on p. 117 about skim milk is hilarious! He says that at first skim milk is objectionable and eventually it becomes enjoyable (yeh right!) and that whole milk becomes objectionable because it tastes too heavy and rich. (Good one!!!) I HATE SKIM MILK...ALWAYS HAVE, ALWAYS WILL!!! I love whole milk. In fact, I could have a bowl of cereal with half & half, without it seeming too heavy and rich. We drink Simply Smart milk with 0% fat because it tastes like 2% milk. DD drinks the Simply Smart with 1% fat which tastes like whole milk. I like it a lot, and if I want the taste of whole milk, I drink DD's without really "cheating."

I also found it quite humorous further down on p. 117 when he said that after a period of new eating behavior, I "may not desire any snack food other than foods like plump, juicy fruits, or other satisfying vegetables." (like that is gonna happen!!!) Look, I tolerate vegetables in order to be healthy. They will NEVER satisfy me as a snack. I like most fruits, but if I am really hungry, I want something substantial like a hard boiled egg or some low fat cheese to fill me up.

Check out p. 119, "After a few days, I honestly forgot about that food," her tall husband put food where she couldn't reach it, "out of sight, out of mind." OH PLEASE!!! If my DH put something where I couldn't reach it, I'd just climb up on a chair and get it in a weak moment. The food would call my name and haunt me. When I want to avoid a food, DH has to hide it where I will never find it. It is the only way for me.

The rest of the chapter, I can really buy into. I know I can make most of the changes. I just think that the wonderful Dr. Phil who always tells us to "Get Real" needs to get real himself.

Maybe I am a tough case. I guess we will find out!

Summer

Last edited by Summerlover; 03-01-2004 at 07:29 PM.
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote