Old 03-01-2004, 10:18 AM   #1  
Student of the Hoof

Default Rears in Gear for the New Year - March

Ok ladies...

How did we all fare in February??

I did fairly well, meeting the majority of my goals. I need to work on consistency with the weights, pray the weather is better for riding, and just keep going. I did meet my 5 pound goal. I'm slightly disappointed that I didn't do more, but I mustn't let myself go down that road. I made my goal, and it was a reasonable, realistic, good goal. And if I keep it up, I'll reach my final goal weight this year. I need to keep reminding myself of that.

My goals for March -

Calories - 1200 - 1400 per day as they have been.
Water - 6 bottles or large glasses per day.
Sleep - In bed by 9:30, up by 4:30.
Cardio - 30 minutes on the treadmill Mon, Tue, Thur, Fri mornings, and at least one hour long workout on the weekend. I broke my 2 miles/30 minute goal for last month, and my new goal is to reach 2 miles/25 minutes.
Weights - Erk. This was an area in which I was not consistent last month. I am keeping the same goals I had in February, and I'll try harder to actually meet them. The breakout will be chest/back/shoulders, tricep/bicep, and at least squats and lunges - preferrably full LB all one time a week.
Riding - Continue aiming for 3 times a week. I'd like to be at 4 times a week if weather permits. I will use Copper at least 1 day a week to get a substantial posting trot workout and work on my canter. My goal this month will be to do at least 4 laps around the arena in each direction at a posting trot. Additional goal - remains the same at being able to do a two point position at a trot at least once in each direction around the arena.
Scale Victory - I want to drop 5 pounds by 03/31/04, putting me at 181. That puts me below the weight I was at when when Richard and I met some online friends for the first time. I remember hopping on the scale and seeing 183 and nearly keeling over on the spot. I was devastated. Hitting 181 will be very cool.
Stealth goal - Drop 7 pounds and hit 179 - for fairly obvious reasons. Gettiing down into the 170s would be MAJOR.

Alright.. more in a little bit, I need to get this thread up and running.

It's MARCH, chickies - what are YOUR goals for this month?
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 12:39 PM   #2  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Raven and the rest of you ladies,

I just wanted to jump on and say hello. I've been posting on another thread, but do lurk here quite a bit.

I joined Weight Watchers two weeks ago. Had a minimal loss of 0.6 pounds the first week, but I am determined to do better this week. I'd like to see two pounds a week, and that should be pretty easy for me to do if I stay focused.

I was just wondering if anyone heard anything from Jolly lately? I haven't seen her posting and was thinking of her and hoping she was okay.

Hope you all have a wonderful month and reach all your goals.

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #3  
Student of the Hoof

Chachee! Good to see you, girl.

Any loss is a good loss!! I hit a plateau last month and made even getting my 5 pound loss a real struggle. And then, every time I'd lose a half a pound or a pound, the next day the scale would bounce up even more. It was a constant up down up down. Hopefully this month will be a better one for both of us!

I haven't heard from Jolly for quite a while. I too hope she's doing alright.

You don't have to be such a stranger!
Old 03-01-2004, 06:19 PM   #4  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Raven,

Thanks for the encouraging words and also the info about our missing friend Jolly. I hope she is doing well and wish her all the best.

I feel like I am finally at a point when I can be focused on my weight loss and just being healthier. I think with too many goal and too many restrictions, I was just setting myself up to fail. Now, I am doing WW and finding it so non-restrictive and yet I snuck a peek on the scales this morning and, if it holds true, I am down 4 more pounds from last week. It's kinda discouraging because they weigh us at night, but I am always about three pounds lighter in the morning. I am just going with their scales and keeping the weigh in at night, because that is from where I started.

Anything to put on the minus side is good. It didn't take overnight to put this weight on, but I am so determined to get it off overnight. Why does it always work that way? We always pay longer for something we really want, when the bad way is quick and easy. It's so much easier to put the weight on, not so easy to take it off.

I'll try to keep checking in. Hubby is in Hawaii for a week. I always do better on my diet when he's gone. Hmmm.....when he goes to Thailand for 8 weeks, I should be in your "stealth" mode, huh??

Hugs to you and all the girls here.

Chach
Old 03-02-2004, 12:26 AM   #5  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi girls, - Chachee - great to hear from you again! Also good to hear that you've found something that works for you and you're losing. I know what you mean, when I was doing WW weigh ins at night always bummed me out. But then I also found that my scale at home was not accurate either. Now I have a new one and it matches the doc's office exactly so I have to believe it's accurate. And like you said, week to week losses are all that matters. Keep it up girl!

Speaking of lost souls, has anyone heard from Tracy? Perhaps she and Jolly have run off together Seriously I hope all is well for both of them. I know it gets frustrating, sometimes you only feel like participating when you have good things to say and so much of everyday life can mess up your best laid plans but you have to keep pushing on.

Let's see, my goals for March:
Weight - I'd like to see 195 or below (hopefully below). That's 6 pounds in 4 weeks.
Exercise: I'm going on vacation in 7 weeks. We'll be doing alot of walking so it's time to "train" for my vacation. I will focus on weights and walking. AND I really need to do my stretches EVERY DAY for my legs and feet so the plantar faciitis doesn't start up again. If I don't do the treadmill, I'll strap on the pedometer for measuring.
Water: I'm doing good with the 2 liters a day, will stick with that
Food: I'm really going to make more of an effort with South Beach. For me it's learning a whole new way of cooking. I get bored by the 2 weeks of menus. Have to come up with some satisfying alternatives. Yesterday we had Baked Flounder which to me was too salty (my husband likes salt water fish and I like fresh water fish). Today we had Pork Satay which was ok but I don't think I'd do it again. I miss my soups.
Non scale goal - getting to bed by 11:30 and rising by 6.

That's it for me, on to March madness!!!!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 05:49 AM   #6  
Student of the Hoof

*yawn* March madness. Yep, that must be it. People are acting like total loons. I swear this thing with my ex is making me crazy. But I *think* I have him beaten into submission about this move. I think I finally having him understanding what the right thing is. Well, wait... just when I think he gets it, we get another phone call with him waffling. So I just tell him no. No, you cannot waffle on this. You made a promise to me, to the kids, and you WILL keep it. There are no alternatives, you WILL move to GA at least to give it a chance. He's afraid. Afraid to quit his job, afraid he can't sell that white elephant of a house, afraid of hating GA, afraid of his own shadow right now. I remember that feeling, to be honest. When I moved down here 9 years ago, I was terrified. But I told him you can't let fear stop you from achieving your goals, your dreams, your obligations to your children. I wore myself out, literally, talking to him yesterday. Making him see what I see every day. Making him understand these kids aren't interested in whether he's making great money or not, they're interested in HIM. God help me. Anyway... ok, so the plan is now he's moving here. That could change at any moment. I will keep hitting him with that big stick.

Chachee - I'm with you on the restriction issue. That's one reason I'm just using fitday to log my calories. I find that as time goes by I'm gravitating to healthier food because I can eat more of it for the same amount of calories, but I do not remove anything from my list of acceptable foods. The minute I say I "can't" have it, I must have it. It's taken me a long time to accept the slow loss. Some days it's still painful and frustrating and I feel like I'm going to be fighting this for the rest of my life and I will NEVER reach my goal. That's when I read and re-read that Ralphie "Keep Going" quote. So far so good, even with my pizza slip up Saturday night. I think it's easier when our SOs are gone because we feel much more comfortable with focusing on ourselves then. Why is it that we feel compelled to put their wants and desires before ours? At least I know that's the way it was for me. I wanted to cook nice meals and serve yummy treats to Richard because I love him, and I wanted him to feel appreciated and taken care of. Plus I thought he expected it. I've pretty much turned all that on it's ear now, and my weight loss is the primary concern. If he doesn't like what I'm cooking, he can order out.

Happy - I have so much to reply to from your other post still. I'm sorry.. this thing with the ex has been so emotionally demanding it's been hard to keep up. You're right. He is weak willed, he is selfish, and he never learned to take responsibility. He focuses anger inappropriately, and never grew up. Having said all that - he is not a "bad" person. He really loves those kids, and he wants to be with them, I just need to smack him around enough to realize it has to be on their terms, not his. For once. I pray he follows through this time. At least my kids know beyond any doubt that I am doing my absolute best to make their father act like a father. And they appreciate that so much. I told them I can't guarantee he'll come through, but all I can do is my best. They accept that. I haven't heard a peep from Tracy either. I hope she's ok, too. I know things were dicey in her life.

March is nearly a full 5 weeks long, so there's a great possibility you can lose 6 pounds if you watch your food and do your exercises!! It isn't an unreasonable goal. I'm pushing to lose 7, so lets see if we can make this happen, eh? Just be very careful not to aggravate your footsies.

I'm off to a great start on the scale, anyway. The pizza has finally left the system, and I've been eating perfectly OP since then ... I've dropped another pound and a half, bringing me to 184 this morning. Let's see if the scale decides to bounce around like a crazy thing this month too. If so, tomorrow I'll be back up to 185 for another week. Then drop to 183.5 for a day, then back up... you get the picture. I'd rather it just make up it's mind. That makes 5 pounds to go to reach my stealth goal. I want this one SO bad.

Ok. How bad? I missed my workout yesterday. I missed my riding lesson last night, because Machine and I both, frankly, were exhausted and puny feeling. I'm missing my workout this morning because I went to bed late last night after being on the phone AGAIN with the ex. I woke up late this morning and still feel like I could sleep for the next 3 days. I need to get myself back on a good sleep schedule so I can wake up in time to work out. Tonight will be a good night to get to bed on time.

Alright.. on that note, I need to get my lunch ready, take a shower, feed and walk the dogs, and get my slightly less fluffy rump to work.

Lucky? Hippy? Helllooooooo out there?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:24 PM   #7  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Raven,

Just wanted to say a quick hello and wish you well for today. Congrats on the loss, again. Girl, you are doing so awesome! I am motivated every day.

I haven't seen Tracey for awhile. Her and Jolly planned their vacation together and didn't tell us. I know they are living it up while we are stuck doing our regular stuff.

Well, I better get back to work. My weigh in is tomorrow night, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Chach
Old 03-02-2004, 06:47 PM   #8  
Choose your hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachee

I haven't seen Tracey for awhile. Her and Jolly planned their vacation together and didn't tell us. I know they are living it up while we are stuck doing our regular stuff.

Chach
Yeah, there they are riding horses and playing tennis and drinking mint juleps - of course it would NOT be McD's Shamrock shakes while we are pounding the and eating lettuce Ok girls, you've been figured out and we've been punked!

Last edited by happy2bme; 03-02-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:14 PM   #9  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Happy,

Geez, call me AIRHEAD. (I thought by getting rid of the light blonde hair that would have gone away!) I totally spaced it was you that posted about Tracey. I thought it was Raven. Please excuse!! Didn't mean to not aknowledge you.

Your goals sound good also! My big goal is to be 25 pounds down by the time my vacation is scheduled--May 21. That is 13 weeks from the start of my WW journey. I am down 0.6, so that is 24.4 in the next 12 weeks. 2 pounds a week is an attainable goal, don't you all think? I am hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow night. I might have to sneak a peek in the morning on my scale. I did well this week, only sneaking a peek once so far!! (I'm a bit obsessive about scales. One weighing myself before and after working out, using the bathroom and eating. Very unhealthy, so for me to only weigh in once or twice a week is a very good thing.)

Jolly and Tracey, bring us back some margaritas! (And a cute local boy--my hubby is away! )
Old 03-02-2004, 07:37 PM   #10  
Student of the Hoof

Several cute boys, please? I don't share well.

Chachee - I personally can't do 2 pounds a week. I tried that, and was too discouraged when it didn't happen. I seem to do much better with monthly goals. I guess it averages out over a month better than in one week. But like last month, I barely squeaked in on Monday with my 5 pound loss. I think my weight bounces around way too much for me to focus on one week. The most I've been able to pull off in one month was that 7 pounds. So maybe just concentrate on the things you CAN control? What you put in your mouth, the fact that you work out. You know that if you control those things in the right fashion, the weight WILL come off. It may not come off as fast as you want (does it EVER??) but it will. That's what I had to accept. I just don't want to see you set yourself up to fail, girl. Wait .. you're not blonde anymore??? What color are you? Don't tell me you went tri-color to match your pups...

Happy - Oh, did you HAVE to say mint julep?? *drool slobber* Have you been on that treadmill yet? Hows it working? The foot holding up ok?

Ok, confession time. I did a naughty thing. I was simply starving at work today. I mean real gnawing hunger. And I didn't have any healthy alternatives. I'd eaten my lunch and my orange and I was ready to start chewing on the desk. So I got a snickers bar out of the vending machine and cut it in half, added it to fitday, and went on. It really helped, but I wish I'd had something better. I looked back through my journals, and it seems that in the week preceding my period, I have one or two days where I am completely ravenous. Interesting. In any case, I need to be better prepared for that at work. Cottage cheese, yogurt, even a Balance Bar if need be. Maybe some peanut butter. Something that is at least moderately healthy and not totally empty calories.

Tomorrow I need to take Nickie to the stables, so if I am going to hit that treadmill I need to get up REALLY early. *shudder* It's going to be a long day. Then tomorrow is payday, which means much running around during lunch and after work. I'm tired already. I suppose I'd better get those dogs walked, get the laundry folded, the kitchen cleaned up, and get my tail feathers into bed! Have a great evening, you two!
Old 03-03-2004, 08:07 AM   #11  

Good morning!

Sounds like you girls are ready to tackle March head on!

My golas will be the same for this month..
1. Drink water, lots of it!
2. Eat healthy and continue to try new veggies.
3. EXERCISE. This is my weakness but I vow to do better.

Sunday was a beautiful day here. 65 degrees! We packed a picnic lunch and took Jordan and ny niece Haley to the park and played tennis. We were there all afternoon and got in alot of tennis playing so there for alot of exercise! I woke up Monday morning with a stomach virus. Vomiting and so on. I felt better yesterday but passed it on to Gary then Jordan. Jordan was home from school yesterday and today. Hopefully when he gets up he will feel better. Gary felt better last night. It was rough, no food or drink for 2 days, I wasn't hungry but I sure was thirsty. I tried sipping water but just couldn't keep anything down. Oh well, much better today.

I went shopping with a friend of mine Saturday. She bought me a pedometer for my birthday. It's really neat. It tell you when you have walked a mile and so on. I haven't fooled with it yet. Hope to do that today.

Better get goig. I'm a little behind in housework and laundry. Talk to you all later!
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:16 AM   #12  
Student of the Hoof

Good morning!

I really had the best intentions of waking up extra early this morning to get that treadmill workout in before I had to take Nickie to the stables, but... I was just too tired after the last couple nights of not enough sleep. I probably was fooling myself to think I could get it in anyway, time is so limited on Wednesdays. So, ok.. It's definitely PMS week. I woke up this morning feeling like Shamu. It's definitely a fat day. I did come to work better prepared to fend off an attack of the massive hungries if they occurr, however! I have 2 fat free yogurts and the peanut butter - just in case. I figure it's not the BEST, but it's certainly not as destructive as a snickers bar. Or even half a snickers bar.

Tonight is a late night... running REALLY low on options in the ol' pantry because tomorrow is payday. I'm getting better, though. This time we really started running low much farther into the pay period than I did last time, so I'm slowly getting the hang of this shopping for two weeks at a time thing. But I'm feeling a little better today.. not hearing the ex whine and change his mind 3 times in an hour has helped. Getting some decent sleep last night made a big difference, too. Tomorrow I should be fine to get back in my exercise routine again.

Hippy - Good goals all! What do you do for "planned" exercise? I agree that the tennis is really good for you! All that running! I used to love racquetball, but I don't have access to a court anymore. Unless I join a health club, and there's no way I can afford that. I sure hope you continue to feel fine, and that Gary and Jordan are over the stomach ickies VERY quickly. Let us know what you think of that pedometer!

It's hump day!! Hope you all have a great one!

Edit to Add -

Oh oh oh oh.. check out this weird little NSV. Driving to work this morning I felt my bra strap slip down my shoulder AGAIN!! It's been driving me crazy lately and I couldn't figure out why they keep slipping... duh. I'm getting smaller everywhere I guess!

Last edited by RavenToy; 03-03-2004 at 10:55 AM.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:49 PM   #13  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning Ladies!

First, what is a mint julep? I've heard of them before, but don't know exactly what that is. I think it's a Southern thing??

Raven: Thanks for your concerned words. I know it's a very aggressive goal to be down 30 by the end of May. I'm not really expecting to be able to do that, but I do think I can come real close. Being 254.4, I have a lot more to lose and it does come off more quickly at the beginning than other people who have a total of around 20 to lose. I guess it's the nature of the beast that the heavier you are to start, the faster it comes off to start. I do think I can do 2 pounds a week, but I am not going to get discouraged if I don't. The way I look at it now is that anything in the negative (-) direction is a positive. Does that make sense?? I am going to go slow and not kill myself, though. I do also know it's going to slow down once I get my treadmill and start that exercising.

Hippy: Great goals for March. More of the same that is hopefully working for you. You'll have to let me know how the pedometer works. I've always wanted one, but didn't know if they worked.

Okay, weigh in tonight. Hopefully I'll be a loser. I think I will. I'll post tomorrow on how it went.

Wish me luck!

Chach
Old 03-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #14  
Choose your hard

Hey March movers and shakers,
Hippy the pedometer is neat. The hardest part is calebrating it but hopefully you'll have good directions. I found when I was using mine, I'd do extra walking just to get the numbers bumped up - kinda like a car odometer. Hope you enjoy yours.

Chachee good luck and I hope you have a happy weigh in. Sometimes it seems so overwhelming to have to focus on so many of the pieces at once - food, water, exercise and cramming in all the other to-do's of everyday demands. Seems like I can never get them all on par in a single day. A few I do very well, some a good effort and others well - at least I vary them each day.

Raven, sounds like Wednesday is working out to be your cruddo day of the week. Hope you got to bed early and was able to find something to throw together for a decent meal. I'm also glad that things have eased up a bit with the ex tho I'm sure it's in a lull for now.

I had some good news today. I ran to the grocery store at lunch to pick up a few quick things and the pharmacy was doing cholesterol screening. I've been monitoring mine because it was 233 two years ago. Got it down to 222 last year and today even tho I took the test without completely fasting, it was down to 207. Still need to work on it a little more but it's encouraging to see that while the scale is doing a slow creep downward, there are other factors which also point to a healthier me. I haven't cleaned off the treadmill yet but I have been walking and every time I think of it, several times a day, I've been doing my physical therapy stretches for my legs and feet. It's coming along.

We bought a new BBQ this weekend and it came today. It's an infra-red unit - cooks at high temps (1800 degrees) to sear the meat and seal in the juices and then you cook the rest at a lower temperature. We had grilled pork chops tonight - boneless take about 12 minutes to cook. It was soooo good. I can't wait until the weather gets better and we can cook more on it. I do so much better with grilled fish or meat, veggies and a salad. I did avoid an intense craving for a fast food lunch today and instead had rotisserie chicken and some grilled veggies.

I hear you Raven on the some days intense hunger. Not munchie junk kinds of cravings but true hunger. If that's the case, I will eat - usually some protein thing or I used to keep vegetable soup at my desk - that was one thing that filled me up. Seems like the hungries hit more often when it's cold outside but it's good of you to prepare for dealing with them.

Well I've got some homework to do before an early bedtime tonight - best get my fanny moving. Have a good Thursday!

Oh and Raven will have to explain the mint julep drinks because I don't know what they are either - I just figured if Jolly and Tracey ran off together they'd be more likely to go to the better weather in South Carolina than Wisconsin where it's supposed to snow soon.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:07 AM   #15  
Buggin' with Pugs

Hey Ladies!!!
Can I jump on in here too? I promise not to disappear again! , well maybe a day or two but not months!!

Let's see my goals are:
1. Keep up my vegetarian diet and make sure I get my protein in.
2. Drink more water.
3. Bike ride every night for at least 30 minutes. or 3 miles.
4. Don't eat after 6.
5. Stop trying to hit annoying people with my grocery cart

If I lose, I lose. If I don't, I can't let that bother me. If course I WANT to lose, but I can't let that be my focus right now and keep sane. I mean I REALLY want to lose some weight before I go to New York in April, but right now I just want to be happier and less stressed than I have been. *sigh*

So far the vege diet is doing well. I have to eat more frequently though and that is an adjustment. My sister in law is a Vegan and Nutrionalist. She is helping me with this and so far I am feeling quite well and certainly less 'heavy'. But granted I use the bathrom 3-4 times a day. There really is something rather nice about know that everything is coming out...if you know what I mean. (wink wink, nudge nudge)

ok well I gotta get to work here....take care ladies!!! have a great day!
RubensMuse is offline   Reply With Quote