Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/150/150

Height: 5'5"

Smile 95 pound loss of Atkins 13 years ago. Now doing IP. Long journey here.

Hi folks! I'm here because I know I can be successful, but I need the support of a forum in addition to my IP coach (he's ok, but not sure I have the right vibe). Anyway, I'm 44 and years ago when the youngest of my four children was 2 years old, I wanted to get all that baby weight off and went from my high of 243 pounds to 148 pounds doing Atkins for about a year. I settled at about 155 and was there for about 3 years. I was very ok in maintenance and eating healthy. It actually broke my former binge eating habit permanently.

Still, if one is not vigilant, we all know what happens. 2006 was my last year in nursing school, divorced single mom, working, and no energy, so lots of big coffees and M&Ms to keep going. I got back up to 200 pounds. Slowly from 2008 to 2010, I lost it just eating healthy low carb maintenance foods. I didn't worry, but ate healthy and it slowly came off. Nothing strict, just high fiber, no sugar, white flour, veggies, etc. I got back to 164 and then started running and settled again at 155. When running, I could eat what I wanted (within reason) and not gain.

Fast forward again to 2012. My ex got sick and then died 6 months later. During that period, I literally lost my time at all to exercise. Four kids (teenagers). Full time night nurse. Turned 40. Moved. Lots of stuff. I didn't change my eating habits from when I was running 10-12 miles a week and had more beer and nachos with the occasional Twizzlers. Went back to 220 in a year. Here's where I've been stuck.

For the past three years it's been slow stops and starts with exercise and Atkins. I never seem to be able to lose more than a 1/2 pound a week. Last week, I start Ideal Protein (after over a year of contemplation lol). My first weigh in was today and 4 pounds off. I anticipate it may be slow for me (like I'll be the 2 pound a week average kind of person), but oh well. Looking forward to meeting a few people and reading more tips and recipes.

Thanks.
SE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

SE72- you def. Have the determination that it takes to get the weight off. IP really does work in taking off the weight consistently.

My biggest tips-try to follow protocol- do not jeopardize your ketosis with slips and invest in Janeva's
Cookbook. Variety in foods is the key to sticking with this program.

Wishing you a fantastic IP journey!
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:29 PM   #3  

Welcome! I'm newer to posting but not so new to IP. I totally agree. Stick to protocol. Falling out of ketosis isn't even the worst part of cheating. It's doing it and not seeing it hurt you at weigh in and then having it become habit. My advice is similar to the poster above. Variety in food is key, if you eat the same thing all the time you begin to wander in search for something different and usually less healthy. Drink as much water as you can. And congratulations on your first week loss! That's fantastic!
Huben01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Welcome SE72. You're off to a great start with your 4 lb loss. I had to chuckle a bit with your comment of 2lb a week being a "slow" loss...you have to admit, compared to a lot of other diets, that's really good. Actually IP suggests an average loss will be 1 to 3 lb, and it will vary, of course. We are all different, and you will lose at your own body's pace. Just FYI, my loss averaged 2 lb for most of the way through (more than 60 lb) and slowed as I got closer to goal.

What Slip and Huben01 said, stick to protocol. Cheats will knock you out of ketosis, and ketosis is why this diet works. Take some time to look through some of the other threads, join in with the other 2016 starters, read the recipe threads, ask questions... there is a lot of information and support here.

Oh, and make sure you take the supplements, the oil, and the salt, they are all important.

Good luck, you can do this!!
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #5  

Thanks everyone for the tips! Yesterday I had my second weigh in and down 1.8 pounds, but lost a full 1% body fat. Wondering if it might show up more on the scale next week.
Old 05-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #6  
IP start 4/4/16

S/C/G: 280/235/199.9

Height: 5ft6in

I'm excited to see some new people here. I started IP last month and my coach is more of a money collector than a cheerleader. I think I've read every IP thread here back to 2010!

I haven't gone off plan once that I know of.

And Janeva's pepper nachos saved me for Cinco de Mayo, I was sure that was going to be my first foul-up holiday. Her cookbook is great.

I just want to be able to see a change in myself and I don't yet (nor has anyone else). I just keep trusting that it's going to work. I have at least 50lbs to my personal goal but my coach wants me to lose 90. :/

And of course, I chose my username not knowing carrots aren't IP approved.
CarrotsAreMyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #7  

Update. I'm at goal. I was slightly over goal two weeks ago (152), but I wanted to be off program by my birthday in mid-February. Anyway, I've been at goal for a few days now and tomorrow start phase 3. I know I may go up 2-3 pounds as my glycogen stores return, but I feel very well prepared for what to eat and am exercising regularly again so not really hung up on a couple pounds difference at this point. I'm back to running 2.5 miles 3 times a week (working up to 5K/3.1 miles). I went from a tight size 16 (more like an 18/20 but I was in denial) in April to a 6-8 now. My back pain is gone. I feel amazing and strong. No, this is not easy, but so much is learning to manage stress in other ways and to utilize food as fuel. THIS IS A LIFELONG PROCESS. I will be popping in the maintainers thread from time to time. I still have two weeks until maintenance.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/149.8/150

Height: 5'7"

Congratulations! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. My best to you as you proceed into Phase 3 and maintenance!
Cheers!
arimartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #9  
Started IP 1/29/2013

S/C/G: 194/130/145

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE72 View Post
Update. I'm at goal. I was slightly over goal two weeks ago (152), but I wanted to be off program by my birthday in mid-February. Anyway, I've been at goal for a few days now and tomorrow start phase 3. I know I may go up 2-3 pounds as my glycogen stores return, but I feel very well prepared for what to eat and am exercising regularly again so not really hung up on a couple pounds difference at this point. I'm back to running 2.5 miles 3 times a week (working up to 5K/3.1 miles). I went from a tight size 16 (more like an 18/20 but I was in denial) in April to a 6-8 now. My back pain is gone. I feel amazing and strong. No, this is not easy, but so much is learning to manage stress in other ways and to utilize food as fuel. THIS IS A LIFELONG PROCESS. I will be popping in the maintainers thread from time to time. I still have two weeks until maintenance.
Good for you! I wish you much success in maintenance!
jelliehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:46 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Yaaay, SE72! See ya in the Maintenance thread. BTW, you may not neccessarily gain in P3 early P4, I actually lost a couple more lbs. - ended up at 128 w/o trying. But normalized to 132 goal again within a couple months.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote