Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2004, 05:01 AM   #1  

Default LWL #144 --- Week of March 1-7, 2004

Good Morning LWL!

A new month, the prelude to Spring. Are you thinking about tank tops? I am!

I'm full of P&V this morning and anxious to get my day started. Lots of ground to cover after cardio. A full body workout is on the agenda for this afternoon, and I can't wait.

Hope you all have a great day. Check back later!

dip
Old 03-01-2004, 05:09 AM   #2  
Meg

Good morning LWL! March is always a transitional month for us here in Pittsburgh — we’ll get some snow, but we also usually get some spring. And I could use some spring about now! Dip — you betcha that tank top weather is coming!

I was away this weekend, helping DD move apartments at college. No work outs, no formal cardio (other than carrying boxes), very little clean food (McDs for breakfast?! ). And I really missed my usual routine! Can’t wait to go run this morning at 6. Like you, Dip, my fingers are swollen beyond belief, so it’s water and cardio and squeaky clean eating this week.

I want to share one unexpected highlight of the weekend with you. Background: DD is 21 and a senior in college. She’s an EMT-Intermediate (one step down from Paramedic and one step up from an EMT-Basic) and works for the local fire-rescue squad in rural Ohio where she goes to school (she's also trained as a firefighter but doesn’t like that part). We were just leaving her apartment in my car when she got a page about a car accident and we turned the corner and there it was, right in front of the campus bookstore. She pulled to the side of the street and raced over to the scene and I sat there in the car and watched everything. She’s talked to us before about what she does, of course, but seeing it — watching her in action — was amazing. I was so proud watching her take charge of the scene and work with the injured passengers (fortunately it wasn’t a serious accident, though one student went to the hospital). That picture was worth a thousand words.

Her plans after graduation are to attend a paramedic program at another college for two years to get her Paramedic certification and a BS degree in Emergency Medical Services. I never doubted that it was the right thing for her to do, but seeing her on the job made it all so real to me. It was a moment that made me a very proud mama!

Wow, so much to go back and review from last week!

Dip, congrats on the boat! Who’s that slim, attractive younger woman in the pix???

Tiki — any Manolo Blahnicks? On the wrists — in physical therapy, they had me doing wrist curls with tiny DBs. Lay your arm on a flat surface with your hand (palm side down) extended over the edge and do reverse curls with your wrist. Maybe that would help — Mel?

Susan — congratulations on the running — that’s how I started too and just added a little bit each day until I could do a mile and then two and now three (at this point, for the sake of my knees, I’ll concentrate on speed rather than adding distance). Isn’t it a great feeling to be able to run?!

Queen Ilene — you bet it’s Leg Day today! Operation Lean Legs continues. We’re going to fry those suckers! Come back and tell us what you did. And woo hooo on the loose clothes! Do we see a whole new wardrobe in your future?

I’ve got to scoot to the gym and the grocery store, so HI to everyone else and let’s make it a great week and beginning to spring.
Old 03-01-2004, 08:51 AM   #3  

Well good morning chickies....
I am so glad it is March, that means it is only 4 months until summer...yeah! I am not a cold type person, dispise it, I love the sun and the summer flowers, the beaches etc. And this year and I am bound and determined to wear that Busweiser bikini I have been eyeing for the last two years. Last summer I did not even wear a full peice once, was too embarrassed of my body. But this year I am gonna do it, and I told my fiance to be prepared cause I am gonna have it on in every picture on our honeymoon. The way I see it is this, if I can do the work and get it on, then it is not coming off all summer long....well ok maybe a little extreme but you get the idea.

So lets begin this week anyway before I get to far ahead of myself....went to the gym this morning and did my 20 mins of cardio, you know what it was easier than last week, so that big leg workout last week sur paid off. Also did a lower body workout and really worked it good. Finished off with 3 sets of forward lunges and 2 sets of backward lunges as well as some squats and donkey kicks to really fatigue the old legs for the day.

My man and I are going to look at a house today, it is really small, but a good price and we would not be paying more than what we are for our apt. so we figure it may be a good investment. It will not be a place forever but at least a good start, and it will be money in our pocket for sure.

Anyhoo, gotta run chickies, you all have a great day, I will see you all later......
Old 03-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Good morning all!! Boy this is a busy place! Do you know that I printed off last week's thread to try and catch up and it was 51 pages long!!! Lots of good stuff. I am determined to keep up this week!!!

I had alot of victories over the weeekend. I had a chicken ceasar salad, no dressing instead of my usual philly beef steak sandwich w/fries. I had a 1 egg, 2 eggwhite eggs for breakfast instead of the pancakes the family was having. And I bought the Body for life book. Great weekend!! Oh, and I lost 3 more lbs!

I did my full body workout on Saturday and had one of the guys show me some free weights. Am really enjoying it. Goal this week is cardio! Need more cardio!! Don't think I did any last week at all!!

Lots of questions going through my head. Read somewhere that you should have half your weight in protein. That would mean 142 gms for me. Can that be right?!?

Also, When you are eating "clean", what is your family eating? I have always been big on eating the same thing as my family. I don't like us eating seperate things and that goes for the kiddo too.

And when it comes to eating clean, my BIGGEST obstacle is that I do not like vegatables other than lettuce. Not sure how to work around that. I do try and have lots of fruit instead.

Gotta run, class in 5 minutes, Hi to everyone and HAPPY MONDAY!!!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #5  

Whew, last week was the week that was! Last time I posted, I was getting ready for a board dinner. Turned out to be almost entirely clean! The caterer is obviously paying attention to nutrition news. Friday was board meeting-day, and Saturday was one of the university's most important honors convocations. I'm here to tell you, I was pretty pleased to see Sunday roll around. And here we are at Monday already; I need to shovel off my desk. Have a happy all!
Old 03-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #6  

Default mind if I join in?

Good morning all you strong ladies!

I've been posting on other forums for about 6 months now and poke my head in here every now and then. I'm starting Body for Life today, so I thought I'd take the plunge and introduce myself to you all.

My name is Julie and I live in Maine. I'm 36 and have 3 young children. I'm a stay at home mom, but teach belly dance in the evenings. I've lost about 40 pounds since last summer, mainly by just counting calories and getting generic exercise. But things have really slowed down and I haven't lost anything since about Christmas. SO, I decided I'd try adding some weight lifting. I lifted in college, and on-again/off-again since then......but now I want to do it seriously to see if I can *really* make some gains. I currently weigh 215 and my goal is 160. I'm very muscular from the dancing and from a weird martial art form that I do, so 160 is actually skinny for me.

I've heard so many good things about weightlifting boosting metabolism and burning fat, but every time I've tried it I quit during the beginning weight gain that I know comes from building muscle. I admit that I'm a bit of a scale addict.

Anyway, you all seem like a very friendly bunch. I love to look at Meg's photos whenever I feel down about myself. That album is so motivating! I really hope that the weights will finally get me into amazing shape.......

Talk you all later,
Julie
Old 03-01-2004, 10:11 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Hi all,

Welcome Mirabelly. Ilene da Queen (our unofficial site greeter) will be along later to properly welcome you, but yes, feel free to hang out with us ask questions, give answers, etc.

Meg - Manola Blahniks? Man, I WISH! I'll get some tho one day, I promise. Oh yeah, I saw a guy doing those wrist curls at the gym last year so I will have to try those. My wrists are crapola. I loved the story about your daughter. I felt proud too and I don't even know her. Congrats on raising a good kid into a wonderful woman. That is an even greater accomplishment than totally transforming yourself.

Dip - Congrats on the boat purchase. I haven't seen the pics yet but will get over to the site to view them before I leave today.

Robin - So glad your food at your meetings went good. Those things can be a B**** to plan and attend.

J-Mom - I feed my kids the same thing I eat when I'm at home. I may vary things a little, like they will have rice and I will skip it or their burger will have a bun and fries on the side whereas mine will be wrapped in lettuce and I'll have carrot sticks instead. I try not to cook two totally different meals. I just don't have that much time.

I did NOT make it to the gym this morning. I got home last night, unpacked just enough to get settled in for the night, washed school uniforms, watched the Oscars (I really wanted my boyfriend Johnny Depp to win) then passed out. My food on the road trip was awful, I had poptarts for breakfast (empty fridge at home) so before I go home tonight I will go Krogering. I know I won't get to the gym tonight but I will ride my bike for about 45 minutes. Need some cardio to counteract my breakfast this morning.

New boss starts today so I better get crackin.

Peace. Tiki.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:20 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies. So last week I got so far behind on reading the posts there was just no way in my busy schedule to catch back up so I'm starting anew this week!

Meg - That's great about your daughter. A picture really does say a thousand words. You have every right to be proud of her, she sounds like an amazing young women!

Jen - Good luck on the house! And wear that bikini every minute of your hunny moon! You've worked hard for it and deserve it! Plus I bet your new husband won't mind either

JacobsMommy - congrats on the weight loss! To get the veggies in I found that it was helpful to use veggies like eggplant that take on the flavor of whatever you cook them in. I toss it in pretty much whatever sauces I'm making or grill it up with chicken. Also you could try 'stuffing' your meat with them. For example When I grill up chicken I will cut it in half and put in a mixture of spinach and a little cottage cheese or something like that. The trick if you are not a veggie fan is to get creative and try and "camaflage" the green

Julia - Welcome to the board. Weights are really great not only for improving your health and the look of your body but you feel so powerful when you are using them. I feel like the toughest cookie on the block :P hehehe

So this week my goal is to really get in my cardio. I used to do only cardio and since I've started lifting I've gotten addicted to it and really let my cardio slide. So for me it's a cardio week! Woo hoo! Summer will be here soon...had a taste of it this weekend and can't wait!!!!!

Have a great one! Hi to everyone else!

Melissa
Old 03-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Smile Happy Monday! yay, a new week!

Dip, great boat! My boyfriend has a small sailboat, and would be so envious of yours. Also, you look really good.

I managed to get some good shopping and food planning in this weekend as well as a good arms workout. I may not have the bestest cleanest lunches this week but I will not be eating any meal replacement bars, not a one. Today I'm having a chicken salad sandwich, which always seems really unhealthy to me, but I made it entirely from scratch (even baked the bread) and think it is not all that bad.

Jen, your post reminded me I would like to buy a bathing suit this year- I don't even own one at all at the moment. I haven't been swimming in ages, except one time when going out on the boyfriend's little boat, and then I ended up swimming (not on purpose) in my clothes.

Melissa, you've got me craving chicken stuffed with spinach and cottage cheese. I think I'll make that for my supper tonight. I have a ton of spinach in the fridge and need to eat it all up.

JacobsMommy, I find I eat my own separate meals a lot of the time, which is sort of annoying, but I'm trying to slowly win my family over to my ways by cleaning up some of their fave meals. My son actually loves shannycakes and we always have them instead of "regular" pancakes now. Of course, he pours on five tons of sugary syrup, while I put on fruit, but whatever. Baby steps!

Meg, your daughter sounds awesome! Congrats on raising such an awesome woman!

Welcome, Julie! I'm kind of a scale addict too - I think I got on the scale four times this weekend, even though I made a once-a-week rule for myself. Of course, I just reached my end-of-Feb goal (yay!) so I just had to keep looking to make sure I didn't imagine it.

Hi to everyone else!
Old 03-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #10  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I have to add a funny!!

I was showing my DH the BFL book and was showing him this girl and that girl, trying to explain my goals. I said I want to be rock hard! He said, "well, not rock hard...you want to be a little soft, if I wanted to sleep next to a rock, I would have married a man!" I told him "Baby, not to worry, I will be rock hard and I will rock your world, I guarantee it!!" "and if not, I am sure I can find you 100 soft and mushy women who would love a man like you!!
Old 03-01-2004, 12:33 PM   #11  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Good Morning!

Just checking in...

For some unknown reason my ISP at home is NOT letting me into 3 Fat Chicks - that's why I haven't been here as much lately I can get anywhere else on the 'Net just fine. SO annoying...but I've let Suzanne know and hopefully she can 'figger out' what's happening.

Was I the *only* person who didn't watch the Oscars last night? Since I go to bed so early, I don't see the point in getting all wrapped up in a 3-plus hour awards show. Besides, we only saw three movies last year, and I can safely say only one was nominated for anything (Seabiscuit) - I doubt that Disney's Haunted Mansion was Oscar-worthy (hey Jim wanted to see it so there!) The other film we saw A Mighty Wind was hilarious but I just didn't see it getting onto the Oscar-radar.

We had THE WORST storms last week - on Wednesday night at around 10:30, little miss Chubby Girl (i.e. kitty Megan) started meeeoowwing out of sheer terror when the lightning started and woke us other three people (Jim, Chalupa Boy, and yours truly) up. Then the hail started...and she made a dive for under the bed! Obviously she thought it was a giant vacumn cleaner coming to eat her up...Saturday was much better though.

This weekend I got a wild hair and dashed off to the mall to get some new clothes. A Chico's had just opened in our mall recently and I wanted to check it out - unfortunately nothing there rang my bell all those huge prints and blousy clothes just reminded me of my old fat days shopping at Lane Bryant. I MUCH prefer a more slim 'tailored' look. So I toddled off to Nordstrom and splurged on a City DKNY skirt and top, then went to the Limited and OH they had this great shirt sale - they have the PERFECT shirt for me right now - with a tight bodice and lots of room in the boob department. (I don't know if it's just ME or my boobs are getting bigger...not Anna Nicole Smith bigger, but bigger...or maybe they just SEEM bigger now that my tummy is flat...) Bought a couple of those shirts in different colors. (BTW I just got my tax refund so felt like splurging a bit - besides I NEEDED new stuff, believe me...)

Swimsuits - Jim and I haven't made any plans for vacations or getaways this coming summer so I hadn't even thought of that. I kind of prefer to wear surf shorts and sport tops rather than suits these days...just more comfy for me. We might go to Yosemite for a weekend but I haven't even made reservations yet! Ai yiyi.

As far as the cooking question - a lot of times when I do cook, Jim eats pretty much the same as I do - I'll put some extra rice or what have you on the side. I admit to not cooking a whole lot lately, mostly because after work I tend to spend a lot of time at the stables with lessons after work...and I tend to eat the same things all the time - I call them my 'staples'.

Breakfast - oatmeal with some flaxmeal, scrambled eggwhites

mid-morning - Myo Lite shake

Lunch - chicken breast sandwich on whole grain bread or sometimes I bring something from home...the salad bar at work is AWFUL.

mid-day - unfortunately most of the time I tend to forget this one! I'd probably have another Myo Lite - problem is that I can't get any ice after 2 pm since the cafeteria closes then. Besides, I'm not hungry and I'm generally in the middle of some project or other...

Dinner - if I don't cook - I promised Jim I'd be making salmon today - I generally go to Draeger's and make a huge salad from their bountiful salad bar and top it with my own grilled chicken breast and some of my own dressing...

So there ya have it...

Hope everyone has a great day! Gotta go downstairs and snag me some ice and refill my water bottles...
Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Mrs. Jim, you are INCORRECT. The Mighty Wind WAS Oscar program worthy and a song from the movie was performed during the program. I don't think it won best song, but hey, the movie was mentioned and even given a glowing introduction by Jamie Lee Curtis.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #13  
Lovin' Zumba!

Happy Monday gals!

Well, I guess my eating wasn't as clean as I had thought, after all.... because if it were, I wouldn't be having to deal with these carb cravings I'm having today! I guess it's pretty easy to be sloppy when you're not paying so much attention.

Got my chest/shoulder workout in this morning - that's always a tough one for me on a Monday morning, because I'm usually still half asleep, and it's hard to push myself much. I will try to do better next week.

Welcome Julie - belly dancing - how cool! I've been wanting to learn. Any suggestion on a good video to buy? I've got the basic one from those twins, and have been looking at the Dolphina ones - is she any good?
Congrats on your start of BFL today! I'm on week 9 of my 4th Challenge, and will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. The first 4 weeks can be tough sometimes, but have faith in the program - it works! Hope the rest of you BFLers are doing well!

I had some nice ego boosting while I was gone last week. First, I visited our plant down in Evansville, IN, and got lots of compliments and "wow"s from coworkers who've not seen me since last July! I had forgotten that my face had majorly thinned out since I got back and several people did double takes!

And, in Detroit, I saw my friends who I last saw me around Dec. 20th. They all said I was smaller now than then - yippee! It is so great to hear that from people who have known me for 20 years and have always been used to me having a certain stature. Even they did a double-take or two sometimes in stores when they would sort of "forget" that that was me!

My close friend from work is going to NZ for three weeks, leaving Thursday. I hope to make some major progress while he's gone so that he's surprised by it. A good mini goal to give myself that will take me through the end of this Challenge and my BFL year.

Speaking of which, I think I've decided on a tanzanite ring for my anniversary reward. I found one I really love on eBay, and the guy will make it custom for me in either white gold or platinum - I'm waiting on pricing to help with my decision. I'm so excited to get it!

Tiki - where in Detroit are you? My friends are in Plymouth, Farmington Hills and Sterling Heights, and my Mom lives up in Port Huron, where I'm from originally. I do love the Knoxville area though - my friend's parents live in Maryville, and we visted them there for a few days in October. I could retire there!

Meg - I'm impressed by your daughter as well - I could never do that kind of thing, and always admire those who can and do.

Dip - congrats on the boat!

Jen - I want a Budweiser bikini too now! Do I dare dream that I could make it this summer? I don't own a suit now either, Topaz. It's actually one of the things that I've missed most while being overweight. I love the water, and haven't actually swam in at least 13 years.

Ok - lunch is over - back to work... Have a good one!
Cindy
Old 03-01-2004, 01:58 PM   #14  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikanique
Mrs. Jim, you are INCORRECT. The Mighty Wind WAS Oscar program worthy and a song from the movie was performed during the program. I don't think it won best song, but hey, the movie was mentioned and even given a glowing introduction by Jamie Lee Curtis.
Ah, you see, I wasn't paying attention though I've been so caught up in so many other things these days - both work and extra-curricular - that I didn't even think about the Oscars that much - just scanned the front page of the Chronicle very quickly this morning...SO out of touch these days...

Forgot about the possibility of MW getting a 'best song' nomination! Which song was it BTW? Generally, from what I've read, films that are released in the beginning of the year (I think we saw the film last March or April?) kind of become 'forgotten' when the huge summer/autumn/holiday blockbusters sweep through - that's what I meant
Old 03-01-2004, 02:04 PM   #15  

MrsJim - I've been having the same problem at home...I'm having no problem with my internet except when I try to come to 3fatchicks. At least I have it at work

Cindy - While you lose weight for yourself it feels great to have others notice and comment on how good you look! Congrats on all the hard work and your amazing accomplishment!

JMommy - My husband says the exact same thing..."don't you dare get too skinny on me! Make sure you keep your love handles!" Well he'll have to get used to the new me

So ok, what is a budweiser bathing suit? I have never heard of it?

Melissa
Closed Thread