Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #1  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Default Losing to Maintain Again

Looks like we're over 500 posts and it's time to start a new thread on the perennial topic of getting back to goal weight.

I'm personally working on intuitive eating as my "new" approach to weight maintenance, since I've identified several key bad habits that seem to be getting in my way. For example, I definitely strongly prefer multi-tasking while eating if I'm not eating with family which is a no-no for IE since you need to be "checked in to your body," to monitor for satiety signals. I also have very powerful urges to snack/binge anytime I'm doing something I'd rather not, like writing (working) in the evenings, and nearly all of my binges occur in front of a computer sceen. However, considering that I never even recognized that I had non-hunger triggers to my eating in the past, it is a step forward that I now understand that my overeating has certain cues that precede it, and that I can actually intervene between cause and effect.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Thanks, Andrea. Signing up but at work doing annual accounts so can't stop to chat. Hope to be back later.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Andrea It's so hard to be objective about one's own behaviour but you certainly seem to be able to figure yourself out.

I think a lot of maintenance is about detecting and changing things that become habit and start the weight coming back on. At least that's it for me.

If I avoid beer and predetermine what I will eat as a snack in the evening I do much better.

Dagmar
Old 10-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #4  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I had another binge yesterday, and it happened while I was working from hotel, and cooking dinner, feeling really hungry, though dinner wasn't ready yet. I could not wait for the cashew chili to finish simmering and ended up eating from the can of cashews.

Still, I'm at 151.9 this morning, which is better than yesterday. I had a quite salty lunch from a salad bar in the village where I formerly lived, before moving to the hotel, so I don't expect my weight to drop tomorrow.

I am taking a three-day weekend but I am not finding it relaxing. I just think of how I ought to use the time well.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:22 PM   #5  
Workin' It

I think my rash will be recovered enough for my trip, but have a follow up with the dermatologist next week. I'm a little worried that everything will come rushing back now that the antibiotic is finished. Deep breaths, don't panic.

I'm going to work on the next three weeks to limit carbs and boost my protein. This last ten days with no exercise has made me feel groggy and stiff, even with daily yoga. I've let my carbs drift up, probably in self pity. That adds to the groggy feeling, I think. I feel much more alert with more protein. I also feel some suspicious, might be a cold symptoms. More vitamin C.

Andrea - recognizing the cues is so important. I've learned that I tend to snack while sitting at the computer during the workday, even when I'm not hungry. I don't do it as much when I'm working from home, but at my office it is game on.

Saef - try to relax some this weekend if you can.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:30 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Time off should not be an opportunity for our puritanical, perfectionist selves to operate in a different arena. "Am I putting forth enough effort to relax?" is oxymoronic. All this joyless striving--it has to be stopped.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Time off should not be an opportunity for our puritanical, perfectionist selves to operate in a different arena. "Am I putting forth enough effort to relax?" is oxymoronic. All this joyless striving--it has to be stopped.
I CAN relax and enjoy doing so. Putting aside time for reading before bed (instead of watching junk on TV that bores me) has made a real difference for me. I eat less and I truly enjoy the reading as everything else for the day is wrapped up.

I also enjoy myself at events away from home - going to one in 30 minutes. I can put aside all of the stuff left at home that still needs to be done and immerse myself in the experience.

Don't know how I changed my outlook but I suspect knowing I only have so much time left in the world has a bearing on it.

Dagmar
Old 10-16-2016, 01:29 PM   #8  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

JayEll, if I may be so bold as to try to attempt explaining another person's words, I think what Saef is trying to say is that she wants to relax effectively. I have personally had many 3 day weekends where, despite my best intentions, I felt no more calm and focused at the end than I had at the beginning.

As I get older, it takes a more conscious effort to get my mind away from the litany of shoulds and shouldn'ts into a zone where I feel restored and energized. What I used to be able to achieve with dinner and a movie with DH, now takes more deliberate planning of topics and conversation that don't simply replace one source of stress with another. Dagmar, books are my refuge as well. Nothing has given me greater joy than discovering Audible, which has allowed me to "read" again in the quantity I used to enjoy before having kids.

I'm obviously reading my own issues into all of the above. Sorry, Saef, if I misunderstood.
Old 10-16-2016, 02:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I heard a podcast with Ellen Burstyn being interviewed. She talked about scheduling "should-less" days. Sounds like just the thing!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:51 PM   #10  
Girl Gone Strong

I'm reminding myself that 154.1 this morning was predictable, based on how salty yesterday's lunch was.

Up to the Film Center today, to see "Queen of Katwe," which I recommend as an antidote to too many news reports on the election.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Andrea, I do know what saef is saying. I still maintain that "effectively" isn't a logical modifier for "relax." One cannot strive to relax. To do so is to miss the point.

Howlin', Burstyn has the right idea.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:00 AM   #12  
Girl Gone Strong

As the salt drains away, I'm at 152.3.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

In an effort to start losing weight, I've cut up a bunch of carrots and celery which will be my work snacks. I know that weight watchers considers this a zero point snack and while I am more into calorie counting than WW, I know these are low in calories, high in fiber and low in fat. I think this will help.

I have good meals planned for the week. As I did last week and didn't budge one way or the other weight-wise.

I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to check on something. Hoping it isn't serious as it could derail a lot of plans.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Positive thoughts for you, Allison.

I'm back at losing too. I started a "diet bet" today. You put money in a pot and everyone that loses at least 4% of their starting weight shares the pot at the end. I'm thinking it will motivate me to get a little more serious.

Visited dd in Arizona and got back very late Saturday night. Dh leaves on another trip tomorrow. Dewey, the dachshund, is at the vet now getting his teeth cleaned-- and apparently 2 teeth extracted-- so hopefully his stinky breath will improve.

Dh and I booked a cruise for next April. I'm already excited. We didn't go on one this year and we usually do one a year so we are due. It will be right around my 50th birthday so I'm hoping to be in "ship shape" by then!
Old 10-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

And now at 153.5.

Time to change my ticker, though not in the direction I would have liked.
Closed Thread