PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS Support Thread for Fall (Sept - Nov)

Welcome to Fall months! Check in and let us know how you are!

Here is the old thread.

For the round up this month:
  • How are you?
  • How's the PCOS?
  • What are you working on now as goals?
  • How successful were you for past season on your goals?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:27 AM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

How are you?

I am well. Since I last checked in? I was accepted and am now a student teacher enrolled in the college program I was talking about.

I've done one set of teacher observations, and in a week or so I start volunteer teaching 2x a week. It's been super busy.

I'm still cleaning out my closet since I had to pull a work wardrobe together. Thank goodness for online shopping! And pinterest. I am way busy so what I did was pick a picture from pinterest for work force re-entry wardrobe. Then went to Full Beauty and pretty much bought the teacher version. Only my accent color was pink rather than green and I'm look at flat teacher shoes, not high heels. Made it super easy.

My daughter told me all I needed was an ID badge, a clipboard and a pencil behind my ear and I could blend in at her school. So much so it was creeping her out. So I think I hit the mark.

How's the PCOS?

I had a wonky cycle -- consisted of mostly just spotting but nothing like a real flow. That was weird.

After 2 rounds of Celexa I came off it. It did the job I needed -- better mood while the the new hormone sticker/vaginal insert kicked in. Now I'm not so moody. I have a regular endoc appointment coming up in Oct. I am hoping that NOW I can have all my hormones in check and I can start working on weight loss without so many obstacles/problems!

What are you working on now as goals?

DH and I have been using out Fitbits more and taking walks together. That's going ok so I'm ready to look at weight training again.

How successful were you for past season on your goals?

A work in progress though. I'm ok with it.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-19-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

How are you?

I'm okay. I'm taking a new approach to my diet/exercise.

How's the PCOS?

Not sure. Just got bloodwork to see what's going on. Gyno put me on Metformin and this time I accepted.

Metformin. To see if I can handle it and if it does make a difference.

I am going to also continue my exercise, but without the stress about it -- I was reaching a point last year and the year before where exercise was a stressor, rather than a "relaxer".

I think over the summer, I got myself back to steady work outs and thinking about my food choices and how I want to approach food. Yes, I may have PCOS and yes, I may have to manage my IR, but I also want to be able to have the fuel to do the exercise that I love and enjoy.

I also had a personal trainer that helped me get stronger and all the conversations about how strength training helps PCOS? I think it's all true. Go build your muscles! It really really does help, I think.

Last edited by Rana; 09-22-2016 at 10:16 AM.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #4  

How are you?
Newbie here! I'm well

How's the PCOS?
Just was diagnosed with PCOS a month and a half a go. So far it hasn't been that bad besides the meds that I take for it. It really gives me nausea.

i'm currently working on burning at least 1,000 calories a day on my workouts.

I was able to lose a total of 9 pounds within 4 weeks.
FatGirl2ThatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:55 AM   #5  

FG2TG
Old 09-24-2016, 12:19 PM   #6  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

FatGirl2ThatGirl! Nice to meet you!

Are you taking Metformin like Rana? I take the extended release version and I had to stair step. Like one week 500, the next 1000, then 1500 and finally the full 2000 mg. I've heard that if plain gives you props try the XR, or if you start on XR and it causes digestive problems try the plain. And always take with food.

Mine doesn't give me any problems.

Hope things go well for you guys as you settle into the new meds.
A.
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #7  

Just as an quick update... the Metformin is already helping. I can feel my BSL stable... and I now know that I was overeating because I was trying to balance my blood sugar through food.

It's freaking amazing.

I am only taking 500 mg right now, I need to step up to 1000 at the end of next week.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:01 PM   #8  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Glad to hear you are feeling better on the metformin!

Over here I started lifting weights. Just little 3 lb one because that is what I have, but I plan to get more and work my way along. I would like to be stronger.

A.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:03 PM   #9  

I've been doing the 1000 mg with no side effects so far, so yay!

I'll keep doing this for the next month or so until I see my doctor again. I'm still trying to get my lab results, but I've been playing a horrible case of phone tag with them. I hate that I can barely get a human on the line and it's just voicemails.

I'm going to be heading off to another work trip and I don't know if I should even talk about being "healthy" on it. This is the first one on Metformin, and I know that I am not low carb, I will have side effects... I wonder how it will go...
Old 12-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Join us in the winter thread!

A.