Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-05-2016, 08:44 PM   #1  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Default Swim club 2016

Anyone else swimming for exercise? Or thinking of swimming for exercise?

I've always loved to swim and play around in the pool, but never had the privilege of being on a team, so I've missed out on all the tips and advice that improve swimming and make things more efficient.

For me, the GoSwim videos on youtube have been helpful, as I've had to re-learn how to swim.

...let's go swimmin'!
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8.5"

This immediately caught my eye because swimming is my favorite form of exercise, and also what I can do the most of due to health issues. Besides swimming, I like water dancing (my own invention) and have all kinds of water workout tools. I have an underwater ipod but it stopped working so I have to try to see if I can reset it -- the company sent me some instructions but I have not had time yet to work with it.

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 06:52 PM   #3  

Yay! Another swimmer!

NSV: I swam freestyle the entire length of the pool--50m long course--without pause! (several times actually) Thanks to a new pair of goggles that aren't leaking yet!

About a year ago, I purchased a yearly pass, and have been serious about improving. I started in the warmer kiddie area, where I just exercised and tried to practice strokes, and moved to the big boy's lap pool after several months. Considering I could barely walk when I started (due to RA), I've really come a long way. I've gotten so much stronger.

Always looking for pointers, advice on gear, etc...
Old 06-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMyFeet View Post
Yay! Another swimmer!

NSV: I swam freestyle the entire length of the pool--50m long course--without pause! (several times actually) Thanks to a new pair of goggles that aren't leaking yet!

About a year ago, I purchased a yearly pass, and have been serious about improving. I started in the warmer kiddie area, where I just exercised and tried to practice strokes, and moved to the big boy's lap pool after several months. Considering I could barely walk when I started (due to RA), I've really come a long way. I've gotten so much stronger.

Always looking for pointers, advice on gear, etc...
Yes Yay for another swimmer!!

on your NSV!! That is super!

So glad you started this thread. Another thing we have in common is the RA -- and a few years ago I too could barely walk; was actually using two canes and a walker at times. Now I am doing some hiking in the mountains! I have also had a lot of physical therapy from the BEST therapist ever. She has taught me so much about what exercises to do, what NOT to do, etc.

I am not that big a fan of doing laps, but I do some at times; with a snorkel and underwater ipod, it is very relaxing even. My underwater ipod died but the company emailed me some suggestions as to how to possibly get it going again; need to get busy and do that. If I can't I will buy another one, as it helps so much to have music while I am working out.

I have a huge net bag of water workout equipment... zoomers (short fins) water weights, snorkel, board, etc. Most of all I love water dancing -- just doing my own dancing especially when I have the ipod. Glad you have a snorkel which does not leak; lol wish I could say the same.

My physical therapist taught me the importance of improving my balance -- the RA especially in one hip was causing me to "baby" that leg instead of making it do its job; also had a bad habit of crossing my ankles, which was actually making my legs grow wrong; was also walking wrong and wearing the wrong kind of shoes. It's been quite a journey back. I have been able to adapt a lot of my physical therapy exercises to the pool.

One neat workout tool is a balance board designed for the water -- at first I could not do it at all but am getting much better. Big key to balance is -- as I have heard a zillion times from my PT "Loosen your shoulders; tighten your core."

Do you work out with equipment?

I can't wait to hear more from you. It will be great if some more people decide to join in.

Last edited by Misti in Seattle; 06-18-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 260/145/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Swim no, but deep water exercise

I have a small pool, so don't swim per se!
I deep water jog or dance when weather permits! I set my music player beside the pool, and just keep moving for an hour or more! I try to do 100 crunches after my jogging/dancing is done, if my bladder allows the time. I sometimes use the water weights and do a series of exercises before getting out!
jeremysnana54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 06:27 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysnana54 View Post
I have a small pool, so don't swim per se!
I deep water jog or dance when weather permits! I set my music player beside the pool, and just keep moving for an hour or more! I try to do 100 crunches after my jogging/dancing is done, if my bladder allows the time. I sometimes use the water weights and do a series of exercises before getting out!
Oh that definitely counts! Actually I do a lot of water exercises although I also add in some laps.

Another water dancer! That is my favorite form of exercise. I have an underwater ipod but it stopped working so I have to see if I can get it reset somehow, or I will order another one.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #7  

Hey J'nana! I love to do laps! It gives me something to work on, 'cause goodness knows, I could use some improvement. I've caught a few of the Olympic trials on the tube--how exciting! (I just know I could get that fast! ha!)
Old 06-29-2016, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Yep we have a pool and I swim and tread water.

I used to swim competitively, a long time ago... I love the water! And it's definitely great exercise
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #9  

Default Water dancing/jogging

Before losing weight I was a floater! I could literally stay in one spot and not move, without sinking! My husband always said that if we went on a cruise and ended up in the water, he was going to latch onto me! Lol!
Not any more! As soon as I was down about 50 lbs, I could no longer stay afloat without treading! Now, 117 lbs gone, I need to wear a resistance belt to keep me above water!

Last edited by jeremysnana54; 06-29-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysnana54 View Post
Before losing weight I was a floater! I could literally stay in one spot and not move, without sinking! My husband always said that if we went on a cruise and ended up in the water, he was going to latch onto me! Lol!
Not any more! As soon as I was down about 50 lbs, I could no longer stay afloat without treading! Now, 117 lbs gone, I need to wear a resistance belt to keep me above water!

Old 06-30-2016, 11:04 AM   #11  

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle View Post
Another water dancer! That is my favorite form of exercise. I have an underwater ipod but it stopped working so I have to see if I can get it reset somehow, or I will order another one.
An underwater iPod? I didn't even know those existed?! How cool... I may be making an amazon purchase soon LOL
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 AM   #12  

I know this may sound funny, BUT... there are a LOT of strengthening exercises you can do with a pool noodle. You can use it for your arms, legs, etc. and it definitely doesn't feel like exercise. I do it often, and the next day I can *feel* it in my muscles.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #13  

Default I use water weights>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesikaBeth View Post
I know this may sound funny, BUT... there are a LOT of strengthening exercises you can do with a pool noodle. You can use it for your arms, legs, etc. and it definitely doesn't feel like exercise. I do it often, and the next day I can *feel* it in my muscles.
I don't care for noodling, lol, like slippery snakes!

Hydro-Tone Water Aerobic Exercises, upper body exercises. I do these with regular water dumbbells. There is a web page showing, and explaining how to do both upper and lower body workouts.
Old 06-30-2016, 08:32 PM   #14  

Quote:
An underwater iPod? I didn't even know those existed?! How cool... I may be making an amazon purchase soon LOL
You can get them from underwateraudio dot com... they also have really neat headsets to go with them. I love mine... will definitely buy another if I can't get this working. They emailed me with some suggestions what to try but have not gotten around yet to doing it. I miss it!
Old 06-30-2016, 08:35 PM   #15  

Quote:
Oh I have used one a lot, too,... also a huge plastic ball to bounce around. I also like "Zoomers" (short fins) and I bought a neat Sprint Aquatics balance board which I have actually learned to use. There are all kinds of fun exercises to do in the water and which give a real workout. When I am alone in our condo pool I sometimes throw up a frisbee and jump way up to try to catch it... doesn't matter if I fall