Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:04 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 172/153/145

Height: 5'8"

Default Finding balance

Hello all! It's been 2 years since I last logged in... so that means that I'm back for help!

I met my goal of 145 last Summer, and I was very physically active and fit. I was training for a semi marathon until I started having knee pain, and had to stop running. Fast forward to this year, finally got an MRI done and I have severe osteoarthritis (at 31!! ) Needless to say, my physical activity has been quite reduced and I'm limited on what I'm allowed to do (only low impact).

Since stopping my regular running and workouts, I've gained weight back, about 10 lbs. I'm trying to get myself back on track, but my major problem is finding a TRUE "balance". I go through cycles of eating really well, but being very strict (like completely cutting sugar out), but then I try to give myself one little "cheat" and the cheat then turns into a binge for several days. Then I get back on track and the cycle repeats itself.

So... how do you actually find balance? I've tried eating clean 80/20 and "allowing" sweets, etc, but it just triggers the binge part of my brain. But it's not realistic to never eat an ice cream bar or chocolate again. How do I stop myself from full on binge mode? I have seriously been going through this cycle since January - I will lose, then gain, then lose, then gain.

Does anyone else struggle with this?
TheLunchLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

It's all about your diet.i weigh my food and i also do intermittent fasting.if I have a cheat meal then I fast for 24 hours the day before or the day after. I love love halo top ice cream.the entire pint is only 240-280 calories depending on the flavor and it's got 24 grams of protien and is low carb.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:07 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/108/104

Height: 5'3

I too find myself with similar issues and cravings and one cheat can easily become a slippery slope. Next week I will go back on my pure protein attack phase for 4-5 days to "reset" the system. I was indulging in a little ice cream and cheats but I generally find any processed food at this point makes me gain. I have always been more successful cooking my own desserts and allowing myself some nightly. That way I can control the ingredients and make portions. Have you thought about maybe yoga or pilates or swimming as low impact alternatives?
chubbysmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #4  

Thanks for your replies!

I definitely agree that diet plays a big part - if I have any sugar then that seems to trigger my brain into wanting more, more, more - hence the binges. I then end up doing a no sugar detox and the first few days are horrible but after that I do just fine.

Honestly, it is usually my TOM that throws it all off - but one week of severe cravings and binges can throw off my entire month for a loss and I can gain everything back.

As far as exercise I am waiting until school is out in 2 weeks (I'm a teacher) to get back into the swing of things. Life had been pretty hectic these past few months and it had been hard to be on a regular schedule. I also have a 2 year old so she keeps my pretty busy! Unfortunately biking/swimming are my least favorite things to do (at a gym, at least) - so I have been doing some Beach Body workouts and modifying them to make them lower impact.

I think chubbysmall you are right about making your own desserts. I love to make oatmeal protein balls and those make really great desserts when I'm craving something. I also like to mix plain yogurt/stevia/cocoa powder/PB2 and it makes a nice little dessert - which is just as satisfying as ice cream without all the calories.

I just need to find a way to not go down the slippery slope!
Old 06-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 142/117/112

Height: 5'4" +1/2"

Sugar can be addictive. There are a few accounts online if people who've tried hypnotherapy - some of them find it allows them to 'take or leave it' so that they can have one biscuit and stop. I don't think it works for everyone and for some the cravings do return. There might also be some self help books on the issue.
atcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 AM   #6  

Oh yes, sugar is quite addicting - which is why it's so hard for me to have "just one" biscuit, or one ice cream bar, etc. I end up spiraling out of control, eating an entire batch of cookies, the whole pint of ice cream (or several bars), etc. Which is why I've gotten to the point where I just can't have those treats at all. I'm trying to find a way to balance things, and eventually get to the point where I can have just a bit of something and say that's enough without going into full on binge monde!

Hypnosis sounds interesting, but to be honest, I don't think it's my cup of tea!
Old 07-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLunchLady View Post
But it's not realistic to never eat an ice cream bar or chocolate again. How do I stop myself from full on binge mode? I have seriously been going through this cycle since January - I will lose, then gain, then lose, then gain.

Does anyone else struggle with this?
Yes - I am struggling big time. I have gained 20 lb in last two years because of the cycle you describe, except I eventually stopped losing and was maintaining- gaining- maintaining-gaining.

Low carb worked for me before - but now its is really hard and boring to eat meats and veggies and eggs...so I end up binge on bread, potato, salty snacks (never had a sweet tooth).

I am counting calories now and eating low carb Mon - Thur. Anything I really want and I know it not healthy I schedule to eat on Saturday and Sunday. I do gain water weight from all the salt but I know I didn't eat enough calories to actually gain weight.

I think its working

hard work every-single-hour of every-single-day
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote