Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:18 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – May 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 05-01-2016, 06:19 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - The Acts of Union join England and Scotland (Great Britain, 1707)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Did time at a brick and mortar store to buy some clothes for our trip to Florida this coming weekend. Ouch and CREDIT moi both. I'm looking forward to a surprise birthday party for my SIL, but hate that I'm expected to get clothes to do so. We may get to a beach. We will certainly see a zillion Brown Pelicans. But being sentenced to clothes shopping seems like a more severe penalty than necessary. Whatever rags I wear around here should be good enough for there. Nothing has visible holes or rips.

Eating was OKish. Meals did fine, including a pot luck dinner where I served myself one plate with space between the items - all vegetarian except for one lone shrimp that arrived with some sugar snaps and other Asian foods. I learned that there are folks who can taste if an apple has touched Styrofoam. Who'd have thought of that?

Mayor's Choice by one – Congrats that your pottery was selected by the mayor. And Super Kudos for three hours of walking with only measured eating.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for building up to on-plan!

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Am so jealous of your variety of hummingbirds. We only get Ruby-throated. Kudos for tending to your rental unit first.

maryann - Kudos for Day 4. [LOL at "White Fang could definitely use some editing." DW told me that Dickens published some of his works chapter by chapter as he wrote them.]

nationalparker – Ouch for a hard sleep on the floor. (Some hotels have a complimentary roll-a-bed available.) Kudos for limiting the home made chips. (NFL draft is a slightly sore subject with New England Patriots fans right now.)

Karen (karenrn) - You make me so happy that I'm not a fan of dates. Always neat to walk with friends.

lizardnumbers - Soups are great for feeling full with limited calories.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The Criticizer Trap

After four months of working together, Mia had lost nearly fifteen pounds. Now she was worried about how to handle a visit home to celebrate her father's birthday. "I'm sure Mom will say things like, 'Your clothes ar looking too tight' or 'You're not really going to have a second helping, are you?' The last time I was home, she came down to the kitchen around ten at night and saw me taking a brownie, and she said, 'I think you're just fooling yourself if you think you'll ever lose weight eating like that.' "

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 107

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 05-01-2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches!

And 0P day yesterday. Credit. I weighed this morning and saw the same number as yesterday only forgot I have come up with new formula where I don't have to take fuzzy nightgown off. LOL Did the math Madix and schedule a trickle down. It's still snowing here, although not sticking. Seems Like a good method until weather warms up.

BBE, I, too, was close shopping yesterday. When I looked for the temperatures in Las Vegas I immediately decided that I needed a few stylish outfits which would be appropriate for heat. I only go to one store these days. If I stay long enough I mix-and-match and find something I like. I found an outfit for the wedding and several tops that would go with existing pants . Trudged forward to nearby shoe store and found a pair of shoes which would be acceptable for wedding. Actually, I'm not sure how to dress for an Elvis chapel but figured I just wanted to look nice in pictures no matter what Elvis wore.

Congrats onebyone!

I slept late but must go do my weights. Enjoy your day everyone
Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Talking May Days are here!

Hi Coaches!

I'm starting the month feeling pretty upbeat! Scale fell to an even 263.0 this morning. Credit for weighing. Credit for changing my ticker. I am back to my Wii Fit scale again. I am donating that one I just bought. It's really awful. Super inaccurate and weights bounce around too much for my liking. Credit for making plans to get rid of stuff.

Today I have Pottery Guild Sale duty from 12-4. I have to drive to my studio to pick up my packing material (hope I have less to pack up than what I brought there ) and if I can, I want to stop in at our *rival* pottery guild's spring sale which is in the town my studio is in. I want to see what people have been making there. I can't leave yet as DH has made a special trip out to get eggs for us so we can have breakfast.

I joined the monthly weight loss and exercise goal threads set up by gardeneryjoy(thanks for doing that) and if I meet the weight goal I have set I will be in the 250's at the end of the month. Now THAT is VERY exciting to me. When I first joined here I think I was 248 and TERRIFIED of crossing the 250 mark. During my time here I have been more than 291 (I stopped weighing) so to be finally heading back down the scale is a really satisfying, awe-inducing, exciting journey for me. I really need to do some Beck rewards as I haven't done that, still thinking/feeling that the weightloss is not "real" (darn inner saboteur at work there ).

I know. My reward will be an Artist Date with myself. I will explore a new gallery or museum and take the time to add another drawing to my moleskine sketchbook. I have to do this activity sometime between Monday and Friday this week.

So, have a great day!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:48 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Second on-plan day in a row. I'm not sure that I'm on a roll, but it feels like someone removed the chocks.

CREDIT for meeting my exercise goal for April.

WI: -0.05 kg, Exercise: +40, 1000/1000 minutes for April, Food: 100% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes
Old 05-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #6  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy May Day! After a few days of dreary chill, the sun is shining gorgeously. Lawn needs another mow desperately - will not wait until next weekend. Just as desperately, I do not want to do it. I said to DH last night that maybe this time of year, we commit some money to pay for a few chores that we just cannot get enough time to do without using all of our free time to do them - lawn mowing and a deep cleaning on house. No spring cleaning has been started here, and it needs it. I could definitely tackle it if I took a few days' vacation, but now just keeping up with marketing, meals/dishes, laundry, clutter up, pet care and my regular office work at home is nearly all my time and we don't even have KIDS. I don't want us to always spend our time just longing to sit back without major chores hanging over our head. But in a few conversations with lawn folks, they want an annual contract and that won't happen.

Happy to see the scale drop despite the higher food day in Chicago ... 171.8 and then 172.0 this morning. So adjusted ticker and setting goal for end of month to be under 170. Seems little but is my hardest work month and I just want to get through it without guilt or gain.

Bill - I agree - this is the first hotel I've been to that doesn't have cots/roll-aways. I saw that on the website but saw photos of rooms with a lounger or sofa and thought I'd luck out. Nope. Their room had a desk instead. Oh well ... made me appreciate our bed a bunch last night.

We're going to head out for a nice lunch today on some water. Larger lunch and small dinner. I am looking forward to it. I started this note ages ago and keep tackling things around here and coming back to it. DH is off now and excited to report that they're expecting to shorten their days soon. I am happy and said that builds trust with the new [to him] company. He's like what to do this afternoon - mow or do an oil change in the car. I think if he starts me off, I could mow but with the arm I just don't want to kill it. The only sound I hear from our open windows today is birdsong. I love my little spot here.

OneByOne - Great scale decision. Why torment yourself with one that bounces around? I ended up returning one after a while for that reason. The guessing games got in my head too much. I think I might have missed it - how did the landlord visit to turn off heat go?

Karen - I have to say I smile when I read the Karen vs. dates update. I cannot imagine being tempted by something so healthy, and as a non-fan myself, I think more power to ya. But I understand extra calories are extra, regardless.

As always, aiming for more personals tonight but it might be manana.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good afternoon coaches,

Food within calories yesterday and this mornings exercise was hiking Bell Pass, 7 1/2 miles with a 24 pound backpack, credit. The hike was great and I feel like I'm getting stronger. I didn't ever stop a bit, just turned around at the top and headed down. I'm always grateful for my good health, but even more so today because my good friend's ex-husband was found unconscious yesterday after having a stroke. He has regained consciousness and understands commands but so far was not able to speak, what a scary thing for a 65 year old. He lives just south of Tucson and their daughter had just been down from Washington for visit. She will be returning and my friend may come with her. It just reminds me once again that we never know how many days we have and must live each one as best we can.

I'm doing a little cooking today so dh will have a few things in the fridge to eat while I'm gone to the Grand Canyon. He hates to go to the grocery store and won't do drive through, but he's happy to eat left overs or things out of the freezer. I'm making an Indian chicken dish that we both like and I'll make a meat loaf. I also bought some ice cream, which he loves, to insure he won't starve.

No personals today, hopefully tomorrow, I've got a few things to do before a friend comes over.
Old 05-01-2016, 10:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 176/175.8/150

Height: 5'2"

Good evening coaches, another quick check in tonight I'm afraid. I'm hoping to make more time for this on week nights. I finally sat down and made a spreadsheet planning out a schedule for diet activities and exercises, and even if it isn't always how things go it was a good exercise. Continued photographing food as a food log, working pretty well. Had some slips in the evenin but made some healthy choices overall. Hoping to have a quieter and more productive week at work. Read through my ARC, planning to do some more response cards tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - The Hudson Bay Co. chartered (Canada, 1670)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Standard Sunday walk, CREDIT moi, with tulips in full bloom in nearly every yard along the way. I passed two mini-libraries and, after careful review of a neat book in each, left them there for the next guy. I'm trying to condition myself that I don't need to bring home every book that I wished I'd read. I remember being unable to pass on books that were only 5 cents at yard sales because that was just too good a bargain. But FREE is easier for me to pass over than 5 cents. Go figure.

Food was OK. Dinner was omelets which I always assume means that DW got caught without a planned meal. We ate out so many times last week that the box of mixed salad greens that's usually consumed each week just sits in the fridge. This isn't good since lettuce wilts. We're having huge salads for a few nights to try to compensate. I do hate tossing food. I was raised on, "Think about the children in China" when I didn't clean my plate.

onebyone – Kudos for giving yourself rewards - a neat Beck strategy.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Two on-plan days in a row is a great way to hit May running.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – LOL at "how to dress for an Elvis chapel" - do they still make blue suede shoes? Kudos for op day.

nationalparker – I do love the notion of birdsong heard through an open window. We're still not into open window temperatures here. Chores do expand to fill the time available.

Karen (karenrn) - Sending supportive thoughts for you and your friend whose DH suffered a stroke. Thanks for "we never know how many days we have and must live each one as best we can."

lizardnumbers - Kudos for "made some healthy choices overall." That spreadsheet does sound like a useful exercise.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 6 Family Traps

#1: The Criticizer Trap

"Being at home sounds like it must be really difficult," I sympathized. "Can we start with how to handle your mom's comments?" When Mia agreed, I asked her what she'd like to be able to say.

"Well, I'd like to say that she needs to mind her own business!" I nodded. "I'm not surprised you would! How do you think she'd react if you said that?"

"Not well," she sighed. "She'd probably get defensive and go around in a huff the whole rest of the time I'm there." After thinking for a few moments, Mia said, "I guess it would be better to say, 'Please don't make any comments about my weight. Whey you say something about my eating, it's just counterproductive.'"

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 107
Old 05-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #10  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Coaches

Scales said I was up 2lbs today. Credit for weighing. I am puffy and I overate last night. Food was a fair-to-middlin' choice. Oh well. Food for the week is pretty well taken care of. I have homemade beef broth and homemade stew. I have greens too. I'm set to remove that 2lbs of water weight asap.

I plan to walk in the park this morning after I do my last duty with the potters' guild. I was told 19 of my things sold at the sale which was great. But, that's also like 9.5 things selling cause all my work was collaborative that sold (we split $ 50/50) and then the guild takes a commission on sales (20%) so, in the end, it's like 7 things sold. I need to make more of my own work that's solely mine. I'm going to create a work plan for that today and start it this afternoon.

The farmers' market begins at the end of the week. We will have a new artist friend joining us, Dan, who carves sheetrock aka drywall. Yes, you read that right. He is making small tiki-style heads for the market as pendants and an assortment of heads we will take a look at and figure out what to do with. Dan is funny and he will help in the set up of the booth (yay) and possibly the storage or carting of display material back and forth. SOOOO worth it.

Ok better go. Have a good start to the week Becksters!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #11  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday defied planning. I ended up with a less healthy snack and a more healthy meal than what I wrote on my plan. I wish I'd done one thing better -- supper was early due to an evening outing and I really need to accept that I'll want a snack when I get home under that circumstance. I pulled out an old response card and wrote "Best Practice" on the top as I have been with some of my new cards:
Quote:
If supper is after 7pm, then my second snack is at 5pm. If supper is before 7pm, then my second snack is at 9pm
WI: +0.15 kg, Exercise: +35, 35/1000 minutes for May, Food: 80% op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

nationalparker: you might want to check the classified ads or Craig's List. Around here there are lots of people who will do yard work on an ad hoc basis as a moonlight job or small business.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Good morning coaches,

Food within calories yesterday, credit. Just got back from hiking Bell Pass with no backpack. Tomorrow will be an exercise day off as we drive to the Grand Canyon.

For our backpack we will hike to Bright Angel Campground (Phantom Ranch) on Wednesday, and up the north Kaibab trail part way to Cottonwood campground on Thursday (2 nights). On Friday we will day hike to the north rim and back, then Saturday back down thru the bottom and up the Bright Angel trail to Indian Gardens Campground. There is a flat hike from Indian Gardens to Plateau Point where we will hike to eat dinner unless we are nearly dead or the weather is really bad. On Sunday we'll hike out to the south rim and head for home. The weather is so unpredictable. On the rim's which are between 6800 and 8200 feet it will be cooler and at the bottom it is more like Phoenix weather. We may even get some rain, but I hope not.

I didn't get the dusting done, so I'll do that as soon as I finish this note. I pick up my friend from the airport at 2:30. After that a quick trip to REI for any last minute items and to Total Wine to be sure he has the kind of beer he wants for tonight and Sunday night. We definitely won't carry any, too darn heavy.

GardenerJoy Your snack plan seems excellent.

Onebyone Congratulations on you sales and also for your award.

Bill I hear you about not wasting food. Sometimes we get a little long on produce and I finally have to say, "Would I serve this to company? If the answer is no, it goes in the trash" There have been times when I thought I could just clean it up a bit, but not anymore.

Nationalparker I think GardenerJoy's idea is good. There must be people who would be happy to come do the yard intermittently.

Waving to everyone else and going to go pick up the dust cloth.

If you don't hear from me for a few days, you'll know where I am. Might post tomorrow before we leave. If not, it will likely be Monday.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Afternoon, Coaches. Day seven of cleanse but OP dinner out still raised scale. It is what it is. Long walk planned. Blue this afternoon. Not sure why. Drs. appts tomorrow so no work. I might be dreading the end of the week which is my last reading event ever. I always get nervous and perfectionistic around it. So I will keep the noon event as simple as possible and remember that two o'clock will come no matter what.

Last edited by maryann; 05-02-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:03 PM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

This sounds interesting to me, I will check out the books!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:29 PM   #15  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I'm joining in those of us who two pounds heavier today. What IS it? I even ate pretty light for dinner, half of a homemade quesadilla and the tortilla was only 70 calories itself - lots of fiber. Drank water today but then got into the "oh good grief, if I went up two pounds by doing well ... is it worth it" mentality. I know it is but the day wasn't as light as yesterday. Breakfast for dinner and added dessert of fresh raspberries with a bit of ffsf vanilla pudding. Did not skimp on raspberries since they spoil so quickly.

Rented a complete goofball movie to watch and will see if it's just inane laughs or if it's one we end up turning off after 15 minutes. (Daddy's Home).

Read a magazine while DH called his folks to invite them here for Mother's Day. He said he'd grill ribs for them. I think I can completely skip a grill option and just use baked beans for my protein. Or else pineapple chicken...that suddenly sounded good to me. Anyway, I sniffed out a perfume sample, which I never mind because my allergies don't go haywire with them, but it was my mom's old perfume and it got to me. I think bc the issue was mother's day stuff.

Karen - SAFE hiking with your friends and safe travels there and back. I hope the weather is good for you. When you return I'll have to remember to ask you about how you know what rains do/don't chance flash floods in canyons. That always seems so scary to me.

Bill - I need to do a few lunches of salads myself to use up the heads ... I have used up all of the tomatoes, though, and they didn't look that good this week here.

Relieved as I'm coming down to the wire with one spring project at work - it will be nearly done in two weeks - someone else will have to assist me on the last two days of data inputting as I will be leaving for Oregon. I'll review the process with the woman who volunteered. It works out well, as she'll be using the data as well.

Think we have good news on DH's younger daughter. She has a new job, with the state, and with benefits. We cannot think of any reason his ex could fight the end of the child support as she'll be 19 in two weeks, and that ends it here. Educational expenses are something we'd help the daughter with even down the line, but she's shown no desire to go that route. But it is a mental relief for me to think we might not have to face another court battle with the ex.

GardenerJoy - GOOD idea on the Craigslist ... I HATE to have folks I don't know come to the house and would not say DH is working long hours or anything but found one who would service our area and will float that by DH. Good idea!

Welcome, Ennay!! Good to have you here. This is a great group of supportive folks who are striving to walk the walk...

Last edited by nationalparker; 05-02-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Closed Thread