Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #1  

Question Headache

Hi, I'm new here. I just started Atkins yesterday. Yesterday went okay, but today I have a terrible headache and am having great difficulty concentrating. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you know how long it will last, on average. I would very much like do be back to my normal mental state by a test on Wednesday morning. Thanks
Old 02-24-2004, 07:25 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 6"

Hi Genghis and Welcome!
When I first started Atkins I had horrible headaches. By the 4th day they were gone and I was feeling great. I chalked it up to my withdrawls from caffine and carbs. Hang in there the first days are difficult but it will get better
Old 02-24-2004, 08:28 AM   #3  
Baby Steps

Hi Ghenghis and sorry to hear about the headaches. I didn't get my headaches until the 2nd week. But I've always been weird anyway so that didn't surprise me
From everything I've read they should be gone in the time frame that Trazzie said.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #4  

Hi! Yes, I was experiencing headaches at first too. I took a look at what I was eating and drinking and realized that I wasn't drinking nearly enough water! I would suggest drinking a TON more water and taking a mutivitamin, and see how things go from there.

Good Luck! Hang in there!
Old 02-24-2004, 03:39 PM   #5  

I had terrible carb/caffeine withdrawl headaches for the first few days, then once they were over, it was all clearheaded thinking and smooth sailing.

Hang in there. It does get better.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:46 PM   #6  
Princess in Training

My headache went away by day 4. The cravings were gone by the end of the 1st week. Hang in there. Drink your water, take a vitamin for the leg cramps. I know, it seems like you're dying--trust me, you'll feel like a million bucks by the end of week two if you do not cheat.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:49 AM   #7  

Hi Ghengis.
well it's day 4 for me today and I feel so much better. This is ow it's gone for me:
DAY 1 - Feeling alright in myself just a bit down coz I want what I can't have!
DAY 2 - Really yucky today. On and off with headaches, getting really hot and sweaty, feeling really sick, stomach cramps, lethargic. What a terrible day - and I still had to take my son for his swimming lesson!!!!!!!! I even dreamt about carb counting tonight, how scarey is that!
DAY 3 - Little spurts of energy today, headache more off than on. Haven't felt sick at all today......WAHEY! Still lethargic but not as bad as yesterday. Cravings coming and going........I really, really, really want an orange!
DAY 4 - After having very little sleep with a poorly son, still feeling (amazingly) ok. Haven't had no headaches yet, but still wanting an orange!!

Hang in there with me.....it's all new to me too.

Terri
Old 02-26-2004, 07:46 AM   #8  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Ghengis:

Headaches, intestinal distress, and fatigue are just some of the things that you might have to deal with for up to 2 weeks when you begin this way of eating. I can't stress enough that you just have to stay the course and know that your body will eventually adjust and you will find that it's well worth it. Think of it as a very, very, very long hangover!!! Atkins Chick makes an excellent point -- drink your water and lots of it! It helps more than you can imagine. Just don't give up!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:43 PM   #9  

Thanks so much. I really appreciate all the kind replys. The caffein/sugar withdrawl headache has finally ceased, only to be replaced by a head cold, complete with a sinus headache of its very own. Fun stuff. Just going to keep up with the fluids and wait for it to pass.
Old 02-28-2004, 05:57 PM   #10  

It's funny you should have a head cold. I have had this awful cold for the past week and just can't shake it off. Could it be something to do with the changes in the body I wonder????

Terri
Old 02-28-2004, 05:59 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

The cold and flu season is hitting hard this year. My boss has had a cold for over a month now. Her family has had it one after the other. And her DD has had it TWICE. So I don't think changes in the body's the answer....just change in season
Old 02-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #12  

It is cold and flu season, but any time yoiu're changing something in your body it can cause stress on the immune system. I know that Atkins didn't cause me to be sick but I'm sure between drastically altering my diet and the horribly crazy sleep-free week I've had it threw my immune system for a loop. On the other hand, my sore throat has really kept me from craving carbs, or any kind of food what-so-ever.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:13 PM   #13  
Princess in Training

Be careful of cough syrups and cough drops with sugar! I had a cold prior to starting induction myself, so I had to watch those things. I did find some sugar free cough drops that I took without caring about the aspartamine in them. (The sore throat was more of a concern than the stalling)
Closed Thread