Old 01-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #1  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Default IPeeps Couch to 5K

As there appear to be quite a few of us starting the 9 week 5k (3 mile) running program, I figured we should have a thread where we can put all the information we accumulate.

Some information that may help others is what you eat before you run, how soon after running you refuel and using what. Also, whether you refuel DURING the run session.

Interested to hear what podcasts/program you're using - if it's your own music with the RUN/WALK messages or a podcast with music AND motivational voice.

I'm using the NHS choices podcast because I like the way "Laura" does a count down to run and walk segments and the music doesn't seem too "canned". I would love to make a podcast using my own music, but for 3 uses it doesn't seem worth it.

I'm going to be taking water AND a packet of salt to the track with me, as well as a protein packet to make up trackside just in case I need it in a hurry. I'm not anticipating any problems as I have been walking for 100 days, and had a couple of "trial" run/walk segments to see how my body handled more intense exercise while in ketosis. Although the heart rate was slightly higher I felt no different to my normal walk.

My chosen run days will be Wednesday, Friday and Sunday (because hubby refuses to give up Monday for the gym).

Please add your comments and share how you're finding being a keto-runner. All tips gratefully received.

Remember - listen to your body. You may have to do each week twice if you are struggling to meet the run segments.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 01:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 196.5/185/125 (Reboot 2017)

Height: 5'2"

I've done the 5K program using Run 5k, and almost completed the Run 10k program twice now. I've participated in a local 10k for the past three years now, and hope to one day actually run more than walk

I realy liked the Run 5k app, but I will be using the c25k program this time, only because you can connect to myfitnesspal with it.

I use my treadmill at home (best $50 I ever spent) and while I started watching tv while I did the program I find I prefer to listen to music. I play my own playlist and it's interrupted with the walk/run prompts.

I haven't added any extra packets with any of the exercise I've done at the start of IP. I was nervous about not doing enough for the extra packet, or not getting enough, so that made me stop my running and I continued my soccer without an extra packet.

So I am really interested in more information from fellow C25k participants and I will add the extra packet, just to be safe.

My days will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday with Curling on Tuesdays and Soccer on Thursdays. I will do the runs in the morning before work, after I force myself to get up earlier again, as I started sleeping in longer after I stopped my morning run/walks.

Good luck everyone
DeterminedDieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #3  
Reboot 11 June 2018

I found this former 3FC IP thread on starting C25K. Some useful information in there.

Some more interesting information on running form to avoid injury.

I also liked this link for details on pace and the relationship between anaerobic for endurance, rather than acidosis for sprinting short distances. All relevant for learning how to pace yourself correctly.

Some interesting theories on foot strike in the reading I've been doing. It is (allegedly) more efficient and less prone to injury to land mid-foot, rather than using the heel first method, as the latter means the knee is bearing the brunt of the landing pressure and ground resistance, rather than the midfoot which spreads the impact.

Last edited by Briael; 01-13-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 266/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

I am breaking out my treadmill when I get home. ya'll have inspired me!!
Kellyc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

I've been doing a little reading today, and I'm going to consult with my husband tonight (he's a runner), and probably join y'all. Most likely at a slower pace, I'm not in a hurry just need to get moving.
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #6  
IP start date: 6/23/14

S/C/G: 294/202/155

This is great, thanks! Yeah, I was wondering about muscle breakdown for fuel also (taken from your reply to the other post...I figured that there is no need to keep posting there since we have this thread).

I will be watching this thread for sure. My original plan had me starting the program around the first week of February but I might push it off to the middle of feb. I have done the program before but not on IP and I am pretty good about sticking right to the schedule and not having to repeat weeks.

I'll see how the first few weeks go for you guys before I make my final decision.
nat1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
I've been doing a little reading today, and I'm going to consult with my husband tonight (he's a runner), and probably join y'all. Most likely at a slower pace, I'm not in a hurry just need to get moving.
DEFINITELY! Its about building endurance when you first start out...speed can come later. I'm not fast but I enjoy training for the races and feeling the sense of accomplishment of completing c25k levels, completing races, and improving upon my past goals.

The thing though is that being on P1 we aren't supposed to have strenuous activity which for me...jogging is strenuous. So, I haven't decided whether I will try to train on P1 or if I will phase down while I train.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellyc14 View Post
I am breaking out my treadmill when I get home. ya'll have inspired me!!

Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Interested to hear what podcasts/program you're using - if it's your own music with the RUN/WALK messages or a podcast with music AND motivational voice.

I'm using the NHS choices podcast because I like the way "Laura" does a count down to run and walk segments and the music doesn't seem too "canned". I would love to make a podcast using my own music, but for 3 uses it doesn't seem worth it.

In the past, I used a c25k app on my phone which allowed me to play my own playlist. I have thought about creating my own podcast because my son will be starting after me but I probably won't. One thing is for sure...I will use either a podcast OR an app because it helps me when someone else is telling me when it is time to run or walk...If I have to stare at my watch it makes the whole process frustrating.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #8  

And one last post from me for now.

I just wanted to say: for those of you just starting out with the c25k....do your best to stick with it. The first time I did the program I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now and I was winded after the first 5 minute warm up. LOL. Seriously breathing heavy. By the time I was done, my legs felt like stilts. I don't even know how I walked back home, I couldn't feel my feet. But I stuck with it and I repeated weeks if I needed to....and wouldn't you know it, I completed the program. The first time I jogged (because you want to jog as a beginner not run like your butt is on fire...pace yourself) for 20 minutes straight I jumped, fist pumped, laughed, and cried all at the same time. I must have looked like a lunatic. But to go from being unable to breathe after just walking for 5 minutes and feeling like my legs were sticks to actually successfully jogging for 20 straight minutes was SUCH an enormous accomplishment! I had such pride in myself for sticking with it and improving so much!

If I can do it...YOU can do it!

Last edited by nat1015; 01-13-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM   #9  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat1015 View Post
This is great, thanks! Yeah, I was wondering about muscle breakdown for fuel also (taken from your reply to the other post...I figured that there is no need to keep posting there since we have this thread).
This is the only issue that had me a little concerned. However, it seems that pace is the defining factor in how much energy you are expending and how much exertion your heart feels. The podcast I'm using constantly reinforces that it is a slow jog, rather than an all out run.

I'm not too bothered about slowing the weight loss pattern, as I'm more interested in getting my body healthy and fit than being slim. I figure that if I get the muscle percentage right, the fat loss will follow.

Quote:
DEFINITELY! Its about building endurance when you first start out...speed can come later. I'm not fast but I enjoy training for the races and feeling the sense of accomplishment of completing c25k levels, completing races, and improving upon my past goals.

The thing though is that being on P1 we aren't supposed to have strenuous activity which for me...jogging is strenuous. So, I haven't decided whether I will try to train on P1 or if I will phase down while I train.

In the past, I used a c25k app on my phone which allowed me to play my own playlist. I have thought about creating my own podcast because my son will be starting after me but I probably won't. One thing is for sure...I will use either a podcast OR an app because it helps me when someone else is telling me when it is time to run or walk...If I have to stare at my watch it makes the whole process frustrating.
This is very true. To maximise weight loss on ketosis IP prefers you not to be raising the heart rate too high, and any exercise should be low to moderate. However, we all have different biology, different physical histories and different energy levels on a ketogenic diet. This is why I specifically say ... be aware of your limitations. If you don't feel 100%, review what you're doing, scale it back until you don't suffer symptoms of overdoing it, or cut it out completely and find a less strenuous activity.

Quote:
And one last post from me for now.

I just wanted to say: for those of you just starting out with the c25k....do your best to stick with it. The first time I did the program I was about 30 pounds heavier than I am now and I was winded after the first 5 minute warm up. LOL. Seriously breathing heavy. By the time I was done, my legs felt like stilts. I don't even know how I walked back home, I couldn't feel my feet. But I stuck with it and I repeated weeks if I needed to....and wouldn't you know it, I completed the program. The first time I jogged (because you want to jog as a beginner not run like your butt is on fire...pace yourself) for 20 minutes straight I jumped, fist pumped, laughed, and cried all at the same time. I must have looked like a lunatic. But to go from being unable to breathe after just walking for 5 minutes and feeling like my legs were sticks to actually successfully jogging for 20 straight minutes was SUCH an enormous accomplishment! I had such pride in myself for sticking with it and improving so much!

If I can do it...YOU can do it!
I believe it is doable. I want it enough to compromise on my weight goals, and I'm prepared to exchange fast loss for a stronger, fitter body with slower loss. Everyone has to decide what their priorities are.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:06 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 319/180/176

Height: 5'8"

Where do you get the podcast things?
JJTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 145/120/125

Height: 5'3

Good evening, everyone -- I started C25k today! Am still on P1 for, I believe, another couple of weeks at least, but my coach did not seem to think this would be problematic as long as I followed it with an extra packet. She did not mention anything about extra salts/electrolytes, so I will have to research that. Today, I followed immediately with half a bag of IP salt & vinegar chips and half an IP peanut butter bar (I like sweet & salt combos) PLUS a lot of water. Felt absolutely fine. I do get a fair amount of cardio exercise generally (doubles tennis, walking --that's mainly it while on IP). I actually really need to work on increasing my core strength, but I am happy to be doing C25k with you fellow IPers You definitely motivated me to get started today!

I have started C25k twice before, but stopped around Week 6 both times. Maybe it was too much running? Maybe I just got bored? I still have the app on my iPhone. I used my own workout playlist then but would like to look for a fun music podcast this time around. Appreciate the suggestions from Briael and berteau so far -- welcome any others! GO team!
Mimi47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 08:47 PM   #12  

Oh, and I'd also be interested to know what kind of fitness tracking device you may use. I am thinking of getting the new FitBit (the one with a heart rate monitor). Briael -- I know you have a Garmin -- is there a specific model? Would love to hear from anyone else as well.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #13  
Started IP 4/7/2014

S/C/G: 225/170.8/160

Height: 5'7"

I'd love to do this, I've attempted c25k several times but never made it through. I'm concerned about the weather. It's been bitterly cold here, and I'm a wimp when it comes to running in anything below 45 degrees. No treadmill either. Maybe I'll try to get my endurance up with some sort of indoor workout and hit the c25k when it starts to warm up.

I have a fitbit, it's not the fancy heart rate monitor one, but it's fun to see my steps. I cheat a bit though and really only wear it when I'm on vacation or somewhere that I know I'll be doing a lot of walking. Hard to face the truth about my too-sedentary lifestyle.
pishposhappelsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:07 PM   #14  
Reboot 11 June 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTx View Post
Where do you get the podcast things?
iTunes have a selection. I'm not sure for Smartphones as I don't own one. I'm sure the others will give you some tips on getting them for Android or iPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimi47 View Post
Oh, and I'd also be interested to know what kind of fitness tracking device you may use. I am thinking of getting the new FitBit (the one with a heart rate monitor). Briael -- I know you have a Garmin -- is there a specific model? Would love to hear from anyone else as well.
I use the Garmin Forerunner 610, because I got a great deal on a bundle with the foot pod (attaches to the sneaker and measures pace and steps per min INDOORS as well as the satellite tracking when outside) and the heart rate monitor. I leave the upload stick plugged into a usb port and it literally takes care of itself in the background, while I go shower.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pishposhappelsauce View Post
I'd love to do this, I've attempted c25k several times but never made it through. I'm concerned about the weather. It's been bitterly cold here, and I'm a wimp when it comes to running in anything below 45 degrees. No treadmill either. Maybe I'll try to get my endurance up with some sort of indoor workout and hit the c25k when it starts to warm up.
I agree re the cold, so my training will be limited to indoors -- treadmill at home or at the gym -- until we're lookin' at temps in the 60s!