Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2016, 07:35 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2016 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - President Kennedy establishes Peace Corps (1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked, CREDIT moi, to my Moby Dick class to debate the economics of whaling on Nantucket. Whaling was a rough life. The neat part for the ship owner was that the crew wasn't paid a single dime until the end of the often multi-year voyage. Glad I found employment elsewhere.

Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, by a convoluted substitution of snacks for dinner. I had to leave home early for an all-evening meeting so I put carrots on the table along with the other snacks and happily munched away. A successful strategy. For those from planet Mars, carrots make a loud crunch each bite, LOL.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Finding the right size of a discussion group is a challenge; hope you can avoid that situation where folks go home with their thoughts still bottled up. Kudos for avoiding medicating that back with food.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Super Kudos for turning down that chef's mistake even though you could have taken it home.

FutureFitChick – Congrats for getting support to win your battle over the deadline. Neat that it led to a good day overall.

maryann - Special Kudos for posting when you don't feel like it.

nationalparker – Yay for "firing on all cylinders right now." Hope that throbbing foot gets back to normal.

Karen (karenrn) - Yay for "No Choice" to stay the course.

curlyjax - Yay for yoga instead of eating over tensions. Chuckling over the thought that Lady in the Van "kind of fit my mood."

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 4 Emotional Eating Traps

Reflect and Recommit: Why I want to Escape This Trap

In other words, do you want to have one problem - or do you want to have three?

Emotional eating traps require a consistent, steady response, and those habits can be hard to kick. The more you can predict upsetting situations, the more you can prepare yourself to do something other than eating. Start right now, so you'll be ready when the next wave of negative feelings washes over you. Take a few minutes to write one final summary reminder card to motivate you to make changes and keep making changes.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 82
Old 03-01-2016, 09:40 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches!
yesterday a bit after I posted, GS cookies were delivered to my office (I had ordered two boxes awhile ago) and I was hungry so...yeesh, I did dig in. And with DD saying she wants to eat better I didn't want to bring them home and sabotage her, so I have kept them here. They are not calling to me yet, I should put them farther away so I don't see them! DD keeps flip flopping over whether she wants snacks and dessert around or not, it is a bit challenging to plan
Yoga was great, I am so sore during parts of it (and I really can't sit on the floor, my back kills me) but I know its doing good and I'm going to keep doing it. I obviously really need to stretch more!!

Futurefitchick- glad your supervisor sided with you and things are going to be manageable!
Nationalparker- good luck with the job decision to your hubby. Sometimes it is harder to have a choice!
Old 03-01-2016, 12:51 PM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Unhappy

Ugh. Lost my post. Rats.
Nutshell: I'm sick with a cold.
I ate way more yesterday than I have lately.
This is reaction to having a cold.
Almost repeated that today especially seeing a rise of 3.4lbs on the scale.
Talked myself out of it reminding myself that tea is more.comforting and will not bring further misery down the line re: weight regain.

Going to bed now.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #5  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Happy end of meteorological winter! I cannot believe how stressful this workday was for me. I had an email that came in with the highly important ! mark and it took a few hours to get it all squared away and i opened my desk drawer three times, looking for food to calm myself. I took out a micro packet of steel cut oats and a small mug, read the directions that I needed to put it in a deep bowl to allow it to boil in the microwave, apparently, so rooted around for a bowl, and then said NO. It's close to quitting time and I can go home and sit and eat something if I'm still hungry. Rain is turning to snow, so I changed up menu to tomato soup and grilled cheese for cozy meal. I will thaw puff pastry and cut out a few little leaves or hearts to bake and use as croutons.

Bill - Sounds like the whaling ship owner is like the employer of OneByOne's neighbor who was working for no income. I hope when DH and I retire, we have as involved, fulfilling lives as you and your wife do. I know it doesn't just "happen" ... you work at it and keep on learning. That's impressive since some night I just get home and want to kick back. Tonight's entertainment is "Zodiac" - the older movie from 7-8 years ago with Mark Ruffalo. I'd seen it a long while ago and want to rewatch and put it on hold from the library. It might get tabled to tomorrow, though... we'll see.

CurlyJax - It is a strange situation with DH's job. He's concerned about their company's future and the layoffs that have been going on, so he's making the decision to go out looking before 100 guys are out looking... hard decision he'll face because if forced, severance could be about six months' salary and his pay until that point is more. But he's also very weary of the schedule switching days and nights and the hour-plus drive each way. If I went out job hunting now, it'd be a different story. Age, field, etc.

OneByOne - Don't get hung up on that temp scale rise - it's your body holding onto fluids as it tries to fight off this cold. Get rest and take care of yourself.

FutureFitChick - Great news on your supervisor backing you up. Hang in there until you can get this off your plate and move on to other projects. I typically like a big project that I can break down into smaller pieces and tackle steadily IF it's one I want to do If it just comes down the pike at me, ehhh.

Last edited by nationalparker; 03-01-2016 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #6  

Height: 5' 2"

CurleyJax Smart moove for your husband to get the jump on looking for a better job. Hope he finds one with better hours, too.

Bill Whaling sound like one of the hardest job, next to underground mining, than any person can do. I value comfort way too much. Didn't like my job, but really it had some good moments and I learned to be good at it.

NationalParker If you got snow, it is sure to come east and hit us, too. Today 71 degrees and delightful. Pat just came in and said we could get snow tonight. I'd think the ground would be so warm that it would melt as soon as it hits. I travel early tomorrow and really hope the roads are OK.

Today's Book Club was really fun. We had read Big Little Lies. Lots and lots to discuss, some to laugh about, some to cringe. I passed the book on to my 25 year old granddaughter who is still healing from last week's surgery. Wonder what she will think. . .

DH made Cabbage Rolls yesterday and they were so good that we are having a repeat tonight. Boy, he is such a good cook.

Sandy
Old 03-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #7  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good afternoon coaches,

Very quick check in. Great hike today to the top of Flatiron with my friend, Coleen. The others bailed, but we decided to go without them. I will be well within my calories because of the activity I got today. I am not well balanced, I just love to hike. What can I say? There will come a day when I can't do it, but she is 64 1/2 and I am 62 1/2 and we loved it.

Personals tomorrow.

Karen
Old 03-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies,

Today food was mostly on plan. I added some bread to our dinner, but then ate less than planned of the dinner salad. So, my calories worked out OK. Exercise was fine -- same three miles as yesterday, but slightly more difficult because I did it in a minute less time. I have been having a tough time with painful swelling in my hands after my walks, more noticeable during the warmer weather. It was so bad today my nail beds are feeling weird. It dissipates quickly after the walk, so I am not that worried, just uncomfortable.

Bill Blue Eyes, nice work choosing healthy snacks over other dinner alternatives. I really enjoy whaling communities and history, like Mystic and Nantucket. I like whale-watching more, but there is something really captivating about it. I have never read the whole Moby Dick, just excerpts. I remember trying to "quickly" read Billy Budd in high school for a last minute extra credit project, but that is as far as I have gotten with Melville to date.

Curly Jax, great job at avoiding the cookies and getting in some enjoyable yoga!

Karen, R. N. , great job hiking flatiron. I don't remember if I told you I watched a super-speed video of that hike and it looks wonderful!

Mary Ann, congratulations for "response to work stress was taking a walk"! Excellent! You will make it to 100% OP very soon!

National Parker, your croutons sound lovely! Awesome job at saying "NO", again!

One by One, don't forget if you take cold medicines that many have sugar in them, which I've seen some Atkins plan dieters choose sugar-free versions. Maybe that contributed to appetite and scale changes?

Sandy (Love 2 Garden), great job on eating healthy cabbage rolls for dinner!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 03-01-2016 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday - Dr. Seuss born (1904)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eating was on plan, CREDIT moi, if I consider my one snack as my three planned snacks taken at once. DW made pumpkin soup for dinner - a winter favorite enjoyed despite the spring-like conditions we're experiencing. No complaints. (It's been years since I read to my own kids, but I think I still remember every word of Green Eggs and Ham.)

Walked, CREDIT moi, first to class and back and later in the evening with DW to a lecture on Iconclasism - the destruction of icons (a new word for me). Turns out that this has been going on for centuries. All the empty naves in churches across Europe lost their statures to religious destruction of images.

onebyone – Tea is, indeed, good for a cold. And good for the brain that thinks food can cure.

FutureFitChick – Continuing with those "same three miles as yesterday" is just the way to accumulate exercise - Kudos. [Me too, I'd rather go whale watching than whaling.]

nationalparker – Super Kudos for "and then said NO" - take THAT you sabotaging thought, you. Methinks it's pretty good that your email of !-Importance-! could be squared away at all. Some of those originate from the clueless who want a cure for world hunger by next week.

Karen (karenrn) - Can't think of anything better than "I just love to hike" - may you do it for another 39 years.

curlyjax - Yay for yoga; hope you get past "hurt" to just sore. Maybe those Girl Scout Cookies can be found a new home before they're even opened.

Sandy (love2garden) - Drooling over those Cabbage Rolls. We didn't get that snow - it's raining lightly outside now.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

Almost every dieter who tries to lose weight is going to face food pushers at one time or another. Some food pushers can be easily put off by a "No, thank you" or two. Others are more insistent. Some food pushers want you to eat the food they're pushing on you because they genuinely want you to experience the flavor or appreciate their efforts; other believe it's polite or expected to insist. Some may even push food on you because they're actively trying to sabotage your diet.

Regardless of who the food pushers are or the motives behind the pushing, your ability to stand firm and say no is always under your control - once you learn how to challenge sabotaging thoughts. In this chapter, we'll talk about how you can escape from food pusher traps; some of these concepts will play out even more dramatically in chapter 6, "Family Traps."

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 85
Old 03-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

hi coaches-
it's my favorite time of the day, in the morning when i've had my coffee and shower, and don't have to go to work so can just relax and putter for a bit. I am definitely a morning person!And I love my family but ooh, it is nice to have everyone leave and have the place quiet a bit
It is pouring rain here but warm. I plan to have coffee or lunch with a friend who will be fine with eating lighter, so we'll find somewhere with a salad. she has a kid one year older than mine, so I always learn from her about upcoming high school/college stuff.

It's funny, as I was perusing the job ads yesterday, i came across something that wanted to know about ones use/knowledge of cognitive behavioral theory! Its too bad, it looks like a really interesting job, but too far away and I can't go after anything that would take huge stores of creative energy and time, for a few more years. It was creating and leading support groups, which I could definitely do. Anyhow, i printed it out to keep for a future job idea for myself.

We will go to the gym this afternoon.
I am not going to tell you how many GS cookies I ended up eating...but it was not good! At least there are less in the box than there used to be!

Nationalparker- I haven't heard of that movie- it looks good but very intense! I do like Mark Ruffalo.
love2garden- I have read other books by that author and enjoyed them. Yay for a good book group!
Futurefitchick- interesting about the hand swelling, glad it goes away. Aren't our bodies wild!
Bill-interesting class! ooh, pumpkin soup sounds great, maybe I will make some soon since it won't be really spring for awhile.
Onebyone- good job on the tea! I do find I am hungrier with a cold sometimes, with ones body fighting off infection, i think of it working harder.
Karenrn- great job hiking as usual! Do you have to do a lot of stretching afterwards? I may have asked that before, sorry!
Wave to Maryann, gardener joy and Lexiss!
Old 03-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #11  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Post it's all in my head

Coaches

Still sick today. The whole cold is in my head, thankfully a bit off of my sinuses right now, but I feel marginally better today than yesterday.

We had tons of snow overnight. My neighbour has the snowblower out and the other neighbour is digging out the car. By this time next week it'll be gone again. Our whole winter has been dumps of snow then total melts. So weird.

So I stepped on the scale and it said 270.4 exactly what I was yesterday. So, no harm no foul. More tea and I know I am getting better as I made a coffee today too. I stuck to my foodplan yesterday and I'm ok with it. First time not straying off plan because of being sick. I'd even say first time in my whole LIFE trying to stay on plan while sick. I just do not want to give away my hard won scale losses this past month. Food didn't cause this cold so it can't cure it either. Tea tea and more tea helps a lot. Every tea but my Iron Buddha tea! That stuff is powerful.

RE: food pusher topic in Beck reading today-- so yesterday I cancelled my buffet outing with my upstairs neighbour. And in the evening a knock came to the door-ohoh-and there she was with a tray of: white fluffy rice, green broad beans in tomato sauce, a giant bowl of lentil soup (all pulverized though-smooth), two small bowls: one with tomato salad and one with two parsley egg things "for me to try" she said. I did what I always do now. I say thank you, and I take it and I toss most of it. I can't get her to stop. I believe the important thing is to accept and feel no obligation to eat it as I didn't ask for it. I ate the salad (my fav) and the rice was really really really calling me so I got rid of it right after I stared into its white fluffy warm graininess, and the soup I put in the fridge. I am undecided about it. I had a bit of the beans, tossed the rest and tasted the parsley egg thing but it was super salty to me. My tastebuds are really messed up though. So, she is a food pusher for sure, but she never follows up as to whether I had it, nor does she quiz me on it ever. She even gives it to me in plates to throw away so I don't even have to give her dishes back. It's a one way thing almost. It's the most bizarre nice thing anyone has ever done for me.

curlyjax I love how you printed out that job ad as a signpost for what you might want in the future. I think this kind of positive action is really important. It's like when you get a red car, all of sudden you notice all the other red cars around. You will have you antennae up now for those kinds of jobs. I think this very CREDIT worthy!

BillBlueEyes Yes, the worship of idols. Iconoclasm. It's been around a long long long time. Churches change hands and theologies all the time going back to pre-Roman times. That's the way people were and still are. Smash it to bits. Problem solved.

FutureFitChick We have Neo Citran here which is a great thing to take when you have a cold but it's loaded with sugar so I didn't do it. Neo Citran just knocks you out so you sleep like a baby. Nice when you are sick. I was happy to read you got back up for your timeline to finish your work. That's good. Just tackle it a bit at a time. What's that saying? How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

karenrn Count me as another Beckster that loves to hear of your hikes, especially those with Hiking Suzanne. If YOU call her Hiking Suzanne I can't even imagine what kind of a monster hiking machine she is! LOL. "Flatiron" just sounds challenging. And who cares about your age? There are teens who wouldn't make it I am sure. You've earned your ability to do that. Kudos.

love2garden I'm glad you got to enjoy cabbage rolls again. Growing up I ate so many cabbage rolls that after I moved away from home it took 10 YEARS before I even thought about wanting one again! Thankfully I can make them and do so every once in a while.

nationalparker I was the way you were yesterday going through your drawer trying to find something to eat to feel better with. I looked in the fridge more than once and stood by the stove and the counter as if some magic would rise from there and take away my cold. In the end I made tea. Thanks for reminding me my body might need to hold onto stuff as it fights. I forgot it was actually "fighting" cause I would not have been able to wield a wet noodle.

to everyone. Off to rest.

Last edited by onebyone; 03-02-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: ?/136/125

Height: 5'5"

Good morning coaches,

Just got back from my Bell Pass/Windgate Pass Loop. It's 10 miles with less elevation gain than yesterday, about 1931 so really nice. I am hoping it's going to keep my quads from killing me, but we'll see. The downhill on Flatiron is a killer. Food isn't really planned. I'm going to a greeter dinner gathering so I'm not sure what I'll be eating. I'm taking something and truth be told it may not be low cal.

Onebyone Good for you for tossing the food you don't want. And also being nice and accepting it. Hiking Suzanne is a machine, but I mainly call her that so my other friends don't confuse her with my Suzanne friend who doesn't hike.

Curlyjax I probably should do some stretching, but I don't. I rarely get sore except for Flatiron. My cousin and I say I'm low tone. She and my husband we call high tone and they are arthritic, not flexible and get sore easily. They also have beautiful muscle definition. Her husband and I we call low tone. We seldom get sore, don't have issues with arthritis and no matter how hard we work we won't be fitness models. I don't know if there really is such a thing as low tone, but if there is I'm one of those people.

Bill Do you do Osher classes, or where do you learn about all the interesting classes you take? And yes I hope to hike many more years, but since I'm 62 possibly not 39 more years.

FutureFitChick Re: your arm hand swelling. I get that too at times. When I hike I most often use poles. By using my hands and arms, the muscles squeeze and return the fluid up the arms and I don't get any swelling. If I didn't use them, after a long hike my fingers would look like sausages. Since you probably don't want to use trekking poles for a walk in town, hold your hands up at times, grip and squeeze your hands, etc. Anything to keep the muscles working so they can do their job and squeeze the vessels so the fluid is returned up the arm. And most importantly, keep up your walking. You are doing great!

Love2garden I am just drooling thinking of your husbands cabbage rolls. Is there a special recipe he uses? I have never made them and really have only had them a few times, because my Mom didn't make them either. I remember them being delicious though. I'll have to look up your book. I finished Paris, that I was listening to. It was very good.

Nationalparker What is going on with your foot? And yay for firing on all cylinders. I hope MFP is still going well for you. I just got home from my hike so I will put my exercise time in there.

Waving to Maryann and Lexxis and anyone else reading the thread. Time to get cleaned up before dh gets home for lunch.
Old 03-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #13  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

I keep wanting to take a vacation day from work to just "be" and read, do a pedicure (myself), be a day of relaxation, not cleaning or organizing projects. The temptation for today was strong, but in view of the deadlines met yesterday, there are often fallout questions or issues that come up, so I'm thinking I'll take Friday off. Something to look forward to ... Met calories nearly exactly yesterday, under by 11. Seeing that prevented me from seeing if DH wanted popcorn with our movie. Felt good this morning since i hopped on a different scale that seems to weigh heavier before sliding into the shower and it showed me down. Will see what it is in a few days. I don't want to get so tied to that number (but I tend to). I'm trying to be enthused about a few days' streak of logging in completely to MFP.

CurlyJax - OK, that movie (Zodiac) was bloodier and scarier than I remember. Plus I was so tired I dozed off - not sure how since it was intense - but then work up for the last half hour. I want to rewatch the second half before turning it in. I'm glad I waited until DH was home because I was jumpy. In fact, something banged on the side of our bedroom outside the house when we were going to sleep, around 1 a.m. ... DH said, that's just the dog in her crate. I leaned over and said, no, she's right here on her bed beside our bed. DH: must've been the cat. No, I can see her in the doorway. So he ended up getting up with a high power flashlight to check it out before returning to bed and said there's a full moon and the backyard is completely lit up. Nothing out there. Phew. Clearly I get jumpy after scary movies and it wasn't really intended to be scary.

Love2Garden - Thank you for sharing the book you're reading. I put it on hold for the ebook version at my library so I can check it out as well! Sounds interesting!

Bill - What an interesting talk; one we would have enjoyed a great deal. I'm hoping that if DH does end up working days, we'll be able to attend more of the presentations around town, especially in decent weather. He always enjoys it even if it might not be one he'd sign up for himself.

OneByOne - Massive amounts of credit to you for getting through without eating extra because you were ill. I liked your line, food didn't cause it and can't cure it either. A part of me really likes your neighbor, though ... sounds like she tries hard to be kind yet doesn't push vs. gift it. It sounds like you both have a good solution - she enjoys sharing and you are finding how to make it work for you.

Karen - Thanks for the tips on hand swelling when hiking - I find that happens to me and never knew what to do about it except complain. JUST kidding!! No, I'd just fist them and not know if it helped so wouldn't do it much. I saw that a woman hiker nearly fell off Camelback Mountain and another hiker grabbed her feet and pulled her up/saved her. Not sure if that's the full story, but that could have had a terrible ending...news there?

I've worked on this off and on all day - going to post and say HELLO to everyone! Will have a busy evening as DH plans to review benefits and I want to get on that exercise bike.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Coaches and Buddies.

Major technical barrier overcome for work today, allowing me to move forward!!! Food was not very in control. Breakfast was OK, but I added something I hadn't planned as a very early mid-morning snack. Lunch was fine. Afternoon snack was 2 more cookies than planned. Dinner was fine, and I did say "No choice" to a dessert because of the early mis-steps and I was still 10 calories under my limit (much too close for my comfort). Oh well! I am moving forward. Exercise was good and I was able to move forward to the next section of my workout DVD.

Some had asked about the "Hello Fresh" box I was given by my dear friend. Overall the food was good, although a bit heavier on the carbohydrate portion, and therefore total calories, than I usually eat at a meal. But, it is nice to have leftovers. I had a missing chili in one meal box as well as a bad onion, and then another meal the lettuce was past its prime (slimy). I was able to replace those ingredients with stuff I had on hand, but was a little disappointed when it is $10/meal/person. Meals did require full preparation, minus the measuring of the ingredients (produce had to be chopped, rice cooked, etc.), so the cooking and prep time time was longer than I expected at 30 - 45 minutes per recipe. It was a really nice gift, though, and saved me for a few days of needing to shop! I'd say it is best for someone new to cooking that doesn't have a stocked pantry.

Bill Blue Eyes, yay for on plan eating!

Curly Jax, I am glad you got to enjoy some quiet at home. Great job for recognizing your current limits on time and energy to prioritize those/things that are most important to you.

Karen, R. N., thank you for the advice about the swelling! I will definitely use that in the morning. Looks like you had another beautiful hike! Great job!

National Parker, congratulations on the scale moving in the desired direction! One thing I like about logging with MFP is that after the first week to 10 days it got much faster for me to log.

One by One, great news that you are feeling "better today than yesterday". Please send your snow south. (Mine is broken. ) Massive congratulations for the precedent of "not straying off plan because of being sick"!!!!!!!! I hear your sentiment about kindly food givers. I have someone that sometimes gifts me things and then asks me 60 times if I liked every part of it. 95% of it is healthy, at least!

Last edited by FutureFitChick; 03-02-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:04 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Helen Keller meets Anne Sullivan (1887)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Another day of eating on plan, CREDIT moi, with the caveat that I had to count my one large snack as my three planned snacks of the day. Whatever it takes. Lunch was my cherished sandwich of peanut butter, banana, and pecans on whole wheat bread ends. It just doesn't get much better.

Walk, CREDIT moi, to pick up The Key to Name of the Rose the pair of which I then finished. With a list of characters, a list of dates of medieval Europe, a list of latin times of day in an abbey, a map of the library, and translations of the non-English text, the book is a joy to read. But you gotta be willing to slog through pages of debate of ancient theology. The mystery part is worth the effort.

onebyone – Ouch for still sick and Ouch for that much snow (ours came down as rain). Thanks for the real life demo of the food pusher.

FutureFitChick – Thanks for the "Hello Fresh" box review; I see that a neighbor gets the Amazon version of that from time to time. Congrats for moving forward at work.

nationalparker – Kudos for avoiding the popcorn with your movie - it's hard to measure out exactly 11 calories of popcorn, LOL.

Karen (karenrn) - I do know of those downhill stretches that can be killers - walking poles can help. [My classes are like Osher classes from the local school. I'm delighted to learn that there's a set of folks who are willing to keep going.]

curlyjax - Yay for morning people. Kudos for planning lunch at a place where you can eat lightly.

Readers -
Quote:
Chapter 5 Food Pusher Traps

#1: The Chronic Hard Sell Trap
People keep pushing you to eat even when you say no.
Raised in a big family, Laura was the middle child of five siblings and often found herself in the role of peacemaker. Loud voices and confrontations always made her uncomfortable, and as she grew older, this desire to avoid conflict grew stronger. Now, in her early thirties, Laura often found it difficult to stand up for herself or say no to people - particularly her siblings.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., Deborah Beck Busis, The Diet Trap Solution, Train Your Brain to Lose Weight and Keep It Off for Good (Blue book), pg. 85
Closed Thread