Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 02-22-2016, 05:37 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat February 22 - February 28

After complaining about low temperatures last week, we're now celebrating days that reach into the 50's (Fahrenheit). There's no excuse for not being out walking, especially since the sidewalks are snow and ice free.

My challenge continues to be snacks during the day - when there's something to be done that I'm trying to avoid.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:00 AM   #2  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Good Monday morning everyone!

This week I have a lot to do. Haircut, shopping and throwing a birthday party for my MIL who is turning "18" next Monday. She's a leap year baby so this is one year she gets to celebrate. Eight years ago I threw her a Sweet 16 party which was a lot of fun. This will be a bit smaller but should still be fun.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Cool, Allison! What are you planning for the 18 year old?

My just turned 21 year old (the Mormon who doesn't drink obviously) went to Vegas last weekend! Think she had a little different Vegas than most. They saw Britney Spears.
My older daughter spent the weekend in San Antonio and went to the rodeo and saw Trace Adkins.

I stayed at home and felt a tad sorry for myself as dh left for Asia Saturday morning. I'd gotten very used to having him home after his surgeries.

I donated blood Saturday and used that as an excuse to overeat a little, resulting in weight gain yesterday.
Then, yesterday, I challenged myself to try to burn 2500 calories on my fitbit. I walked over 23,000 steps, climbed 94 floors, did 1.5 hours of bikram, walked the dog for an hour and did an hour on the elliptical. Think I burned 2500? nope... did get close though-- 2478. And my weight was way down this morning, so it's all good....

Until I got all discombobulated this morning trying to get my morning routine done. We have Kindle Fires for raffle prizes at my school for the Read-a-thon. I wanted to make sure to bring them today to pull our first winner. I was so set on remembering those that I left my lunch at home. Now I have to see if I can sneak out quickly later to grab something. Our nearby choices are slim pickings.

Also, debating gym later. I want to do bodypump (weight lifting) but the guy had trouble with my vein on Saturday and that arm really hurts. I'll probably suck it up and go, just being cautious.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #5  

The party will be mainly finger foods. I'm cooking a brisket to do brisket and onion sliders. I'm buying mini sweet peppers which I'll stuff with chicken, rice, corn and black beans. I'm stuffing dates with cheese and wrapping them in bacon. I'm doing little skewers of Caprese salad (mozzarella, tomatoes and basil and drizzled with balsamic vinegar). I'm making a Mediterranean potato salad (potatoes, green beans, red peppers). I'm sending DH to Everything Bundt Cakes to buy an assortment of mini bundt cakes that I'll quarter and serve with toothpicks (that way people will eat them--otherwise they'll see that "big" dessert and pass). My friend will be making ginger martinis and I'll also have cherry chocolate martinis and cucumber martinis. I'll also have a vegetable platter.
Old 02-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Allison You are someone who so obviously loves to entertain and cook. for you! I enjoy reading about the events you plan and the menus you come up with.

My week had a slow start. Thursday is when the snow hits the fan. I start a sleep over which will be very difficult due to the nature of the animals and the apartment. No, they're not snow leopards.

I will get through it but I'm literally around the corner from my favorite cake and pastry shop. I know I will succumb to temptation . Just have to make sure it's once or twice, rather than every day for the 6 days I'm there.

Good week all!

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #7  

Sounds delish, Allison! Anything "18" themed that you're planning?

That would be hard for me, Dagmar.... maybe make a plan? Like schedule just once or twice and book it like an appointment so you don't succumb?

My vision is blurry this morning and I think it may be due to my eye makeup. Hoping it clears up without me having to scrub off my makeup.

Ellie is being NAUGHTY since dh left. I need to make sure she gets a BIG walk this afternoon to tire her out.

I'm hopeful this will be a better day than yesterday as I remembered my lunch for work. That just threw me off yesterday! It's the little things sometimes.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #8  

Yes, I do love to cook and entertain. I don't do enough entertaining, though. I remember when DD was 16 and I wanted to throw her a sweet 16 party and she refused. She finally came to her senses when she turned 18 and we had a very fun party for her. Then I threw the sweet 16 party for my MIL which was a lot of fun, too. There is no "theme" for this party--just a get-together with friends for food and drink. Relaxed.

Not only do I like to cook, I also like to explore food. I'm constantly searching for new and fun recipes. In one aspect, this is why I like Blue Apron so much. I get to choose from six meals--many of which I probably would not try on my own. I'm 95% satisfied with what they come up with. I think there has only been one meal that we didn't particularly like. There are a lot of their recipes that I've remade a few times. Even DS makes a few on his own at college.

DH's cataract surgery was amazing. He suffers from keratoconus which is an inherited disease where the cornea, instead of being flat to oval shaped, is shaped like a cone. That makes the "tip" susceptible to injury. His sister has already had both her corneas replaced due to this. It also causes him to have horrible eyesight. Legally blind--he cannot see the big E on the eye chart without his contacts. His Rx is something like -12.00 with astigmatism. His optometrist and the ophthalmologist who did the surgery conferred and decided on the best outcome for him would be a more expensive lens implant. He'll always have to wear hard lenses (they help flatten out the cornea and protect it from injury at the same time). Anyway, his Rx went from that -12.00 to -2.00 without any astigmatism! His other eye is showing the beginning of a cataract, but his doctors are thinking of doing the surgery early so that he can see better. I've always wanted to get laser surgery to make my eyesight better, but have not done it because my bad vision is nothing compared to his and he will never be a candidate for that kind of surgery. But now I'm having second thoughts...
Old 02-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I had my first radiation treatment today. One down, 29 to go. I have been told there will probably be no skin reaction until the third week.

We just had a 4.9 earthquake about 20 miles from Bakersfield. It was a jolting one! Alison, did you feel it where you are?
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:37 PM   #10  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Howlin, just wanted to say that when your skin starts reacting, it could look really bad, although everyone is different. Don't despair. My partner had radiation treatment on her neck area, and it looked like she was a fire victim. But now you would have no idea anything had happened. Her skin healed nicely.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
I had my first radiation treatment today. One down, 29 to go. I have been told there will probably be no skin reaction until the third week.

We just had a 4.9 earthquake about 20 miles from Bakersfield. It was a jolting one! Alison, did you feel it where you are?
Nope, didn't feel it. I did download an app for my phone that supposedly helps spread the word in case of a big one. It's called MyShake by Berkeley Seismology Lab. I didn't see that temblor on the app although there are a lot of recent ones.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Tomorrow's my last day and I can't describe the stress reduction. Though I am vaguely anxious about leaving my job in a good state for the unfortunate soul who has to cover it until my replacement is hired (it could be months) ... this move is 110% correct. I am hoping that this choice and demonstration of control will translate into some other areas of my life.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 AM   #13  

Congrats again, Becky! Best of luck to you in your new job!
Old 02-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #14  

Excellent, Becky! I saw on the other thread that you've been sleeping better too. Just excellent....

Nothing too exciting to report here...
Ellie (the puppy) has been naughty since dh went out of town. I'm sick of it. Keep taking her for long walks to tire her out.... Ordered bitter apple for the couch she keeps chewing so I hope she hates it. Think I'll forgo the gym tonight for a VERY long walk. If she's tired, she can't be destructive....right?
Old 02-25-2016, 03:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

JayEll, thanks for the skin info.I have to gear up for some discomfort the third week in March, when DH goes to Wash DC for a week. I'll have to do all the animal chores, so sitting still won't be an option.

Becky, congrats on the job move and good luck!!

Hi Birchie! Is your weather any better lately?

Tomorrow it will be six weeks since surgery. I went to the gym today before rads (radiation therapy) and did a light workout - light weights, low reps. Tonight I'll measure my arm for any signs of swelling. I'm also going to plant poppy seeds tonight, and veggie seedlings on the weekend! Kale, chard, romaine and arugula!! Last year I dried quite a bit of arugula and sprinkled it in various dishes. We liked it so well as a dried herb that it's all gone and I want more.

Last edited by HowlinAtTheMoon; 02-25-2016 at 03:20 PM.
HowlinAtTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote