Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:49 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Question Did you ever feel like this?

Geeze, for the past 5 weeks, I have been going strong, feeling great, eating OP (even when Aidan was in the hospital) even excercising, changed my mindset...etc...

Yeserday and today I had a pretty crummy day. I don't know if I am PMSing or if last week with Aidan being sick is finally all catching up with me....but whatever the reason....I am feeling...hmmmm, hard to put in words.

Well, I guess I am feeling good....and when I look at myself in the mirror in the morning after my shower....I am thinking I am looking better. But, the other day I was at the mall, and I passed a mirror and almost fainted. Gosh, I didn't look that much different. I was disgusted...ok...that was a bit strong....but you all know what I mean. What happened to my "self love" thing???

I have lost 15 pounds so far and over 22.5 inches from my body....why don't people notice....I am sure if I gained that amounts....people would notice. It is soooooo frusterating (sp?)

Any of you "big loosers" ever feel like hat when you were going through your big loosing streaks???? Any ideas on how I can get over this...and keep going strong? I guess I just needed to vent...thanks!!!

Last edited by Monkeybabies; 02-20-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:00 PM   #2  
Old Cackler

loosing weight and keeping a healthy perspective on your body image while doing it???? don't look at me, baby!!!!! i'm the one who, when reaching out to open a glass door, stopped dead and TURNED AROUND looking for that person who was reaching out to it!!!!!! i'm the one who put size 34s on a size 20 body and wondered why they wouldn't stay on!!! i thought they fit.

nope.. sorry. if it's any comfort, what you're going through is very common. but i'd also vote for a delayed stress reaction to aidan's illness. you were strong throughout the whole thing, and now that it's over and you can breathe, you might be falling apart a little bit.

love youl....
Old 02-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #3  

I had to lose about 50 lbs for anyone to say anthing i could have cried! Now i get everyone telling me i lost weight. LIKE I DIDNT KNOW!
Old 02-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #4  

Gina, I had to lose 60-75? pounds before anyone noticed anything and it wasn't until I had lost 90 lbs. that anyone in my family realized it at a family b-day party. Of course then it hit them like a ton of bricks and everyone was a little shocked but I guess no one had really paid attention until then.

I must say it was a little discouraging until then. The changes were obvious to me but I thought if no one else could tell then maybe I didn't look all that different. I also know that when you are as big as I was it takes a significant loss to see a noticable difference. So I just kept plugging along, trying to remind myself that I was doing this for me, not everyone else. And that they're recognition would be well earned when they finally did see it.

I also wanted to tell you that I still have days when I feel or look fat to me. I think everyone does and always will. But don't let those days bring you down, use them to motivate yourself to work harder. Like adding more time to your workout because you'll be more determined to get it done.

You're always going to have your good days and bad days but just remember that what you are doing is making a difference every day.

Beverly
Old 02-21-2004, 12:21 PM   #5  

Hi Gina,
I had to lose about 30 pounds before anyone said anything. I think maybe people noticed a little something before that, but weren't sure. People are afraid to mention it. My mom said something like, "I noticed but I didn't want to hurt your feelings." What? Skinny people don't get it! I mean, there are very rude ways to say it, but mostly we want to hear it!

Anyway, hang in there! Your KNEES and HEART certainly feel the difference and are thanking you with every STEP and BREATH.

Hugs!
Old 02-21-2004, 11:17 PM   #6  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Sometimes people are afraid to say how great you look now, for fear of you coming back with, "As opposed to the pile of dog cr*p I looked like before?" At least, w/me, I think that's what they're afraid of.

I know what you mean about having a positive body image & feeling good & then WHAM! it hits you b/c you see yourself in the glare of the TV or the computer screen or a window @ the mall & it hits all over again just how much work it is that I've still got ahead of me. Frustrating.

Then take out my old journal of what I used to eat in a day & re-read it. That always helps me regain focus.

Hang in there, girlie. *hug*
Old 02-22-2004, 10:52 AM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one! I started noticing a difference after losing 10lbs but apparently nobody else did. Later I remember being at a bridal shower wearing a new outfit 2 sizes smaller and still nobody noticed, except a few people asked why I wasn't eating much at the buffet table. It wasn't until my daughter's wedding, after I'd lost 50lbs., that people started noticing and after that, it seemed that with each pound I lost people were saying, "Wow, you've really lost a lot of weight!". I had to laugh at your response SAPF, I felt the very same...going from being resentful of what I thought was indifference from those around me, to being resentful when they told me I looked sooooooo much better. I almost wanted to respond "However did you even manage to be near me if I was so revolting?" There's no pleasing some people, is there?

Oh Jiff, I'm with you too! When I couldn't rely on comfort food anymore I relied on my comfort clothes, no matter how big they became. I almost felt disappointed when I couldn't keep my favourite drawstring pants up anymore even when I pulled the strings to the breaking point. It took me so long to adjust to the fact I was swimming in my old clothes and even longer for me to go from the plus size stores to the "regular" ones. I guess getting rid of the old clothes in a sense is like giving up your security blanket. As unhappy as we may have been while obese, in a way it was what we were accustomed to, so in that respect it felt "normal", and moving into a new phase in life was scary, even though we'd worked so hard and wanted it so badly.

Anyway Gina, you're doing great and you've proven that you can keep focussed even when your mind is elsewhere and you're in stressful situations. Try to remember that you're going to have slips now and then because nothing in life stays on an even keel, does it? When I started this journey, I stayed religiously on plan for about 6 months and yes, I lost a lot of weight and I lost it quickly. But real life caught up to me and I started having my off days (sometimes a day would string into several days), but you just have to put those days behind you and move forward. Now my weight loss has slowed down dramatically, but I feel I'm living more realistically than I was when my every thought revolved around my "diet". So think of those "off" days as a slice of life and don't overreact or feel like a failure. And Gina, people will say something soon - perhaps at 15lbs. they're thinking you look different somehow but aren't sure what it is, but at 25lbs. it'll dawn on them

Oh yes, and believe me, I know all about the wild mood swings (unrelated to menopause!). I'd have those days where I'd look in the mirror at home and feel really proud and confident about all my hard work and then go try something on at the mall and look at that dressing room mirror and want to cry because I had so much further to go Half an hour later I'd be mentally patting myself on the back again because I knew how far I'd come even if I wasn't there yet. It's that old "glass half empty, half full" thing I guess.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:19 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Thank you all so much for your replies!!!!!!! Everyone is so great here...you are the best!!!! Now i really get what Dr. Phil means about "your circle of support" Thank You!!!!
Closed Thread