Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~~Golden Girls~~

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #2  
Bobbi

The soup I threw together this morning wasn't the recipe below, I made a much simpler soup that I'll make again because it was so good. I make my own chicken boullon cubes, used 4 of them, 3-4 cups shredded green cabbage, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2 Tablespoon Raspberry Balsamic vinegar, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, 4 cups of frozen apples, salt. Put all in crock pot and let it cook for a few hours, delicious. Bruce even loved it.
Ukrainian Sweet and Sour Cabbage Soup
2 tablespoons butter (use cooking spray)
1 onion,
thinly sliced 1 Granny Smith apples - peeled, cored and sliced (I'd use more, much more)
3 cups shredded red cabbage (green works too)
4 cups beef stock (or chicken stock)
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1/3 cup raisins (don't need the extra calories, skip)
1/4 cup apple butter (Skip this too, just use more apples)
In a large saucepan, saute the apple and onion in the butter until tender. Stir in the cabbage and saute for 5 more minutes.
Pour in stock and vinegar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and stir in sugar, salt, pepper, celery seed, and raisins. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour. Stir in apple butter.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-10-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Stayed up watching Downton Abbey. They showed a rerun before the new episode. Wondering if that is typical cause it's happened every time I've watched it so far. I watched it all anyway...just love that show! Dh however is totally bored with it and went to bed early. Its the last season so he is trying to understand my obsession.

My eating was not per plan but I still did very well. I missed two snacks because of being in church the morning and tonight was our monthly sr meeting. The other thing I did against the plan was I had too large a snack tonight plus another too soon after the first one, but it was just some pork rinds...low in calories and no carbs. It will not fit the fat burning idea but I knew I didn't have many calories and carbs so did it any way esp since I missed the usual two snacks earlier.
Ended up with est. 1093 calories, and 110 carb gms after 1/2 fiber subtracted. Diabetes is not like low carb diets where you can subtract all the fiber, you can only subtract half the fiber and even then only if the fiber is at least 5 mg.

Last night I did my kitchen aerobics for ten min. Today no exercise, I've learned keeping my calories low on a days with no exercise is a MUST! I was REALLY tempted to bake some brownies tonight as I found a mix I'd bought for Christmas, then not made. But thank God, I talked myself out of it so another NSV. I really want to succeed for a change. I changed my avatar again...blue has always been my favorite color although I like many others almost as well anymore...and in our family I'm sorta known for liking blue. Also added back the tracker sig. Hope I don't become to ashamed to keep it.

Last edited by maryea; 01-11-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:39 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning,
We had some nasty winter weather come in yesterday afternoon so I got to the store before that all happened and purchased an ankle support for my sprained ankle. It seems to be getting worse. I hope I don't have to go to the doctor for an x-ray.
Good news......I lost 3-1/2 lbs this past week. Hope it goes a well this week.

Bobbolink - thank you for posting the cabbage soup recipe. I did a copy and paste of it and might try it soon.

Mary - I like your new avatar. Blue is my favourite color too. GFY in not making those brownies.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 01-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #5  

Test - my ticker got lost so trying to make a new one
Old 01-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Karrine, I hope the ankle support helps you. If it doesn't you might have more than a sprain. Have you been putting ice on it and keeping it elevated when you can? That might help too. Ice might not feel too good in this cold weather.

Bobbi, the apples in the soup sounds good. Healthy, with the apples, and also the added vinegar. I would try that on a small scale as, I don't know if DH would eat it like that. My soup turned out good and I ate a lot of it. My step-daughter took 4 jars of soup home along with the rest of the french bread that DH didn't eat. I don't need that here calling my name.

Mary, don't be ashamed of your tracker. We are all in the same boat, trying to lose unwanted lbs we've picked up. I took my tracker down for a while thinking it would help me not to be looking at it all the time and it didn't, so I put it back up. I am struggling to stay under 200, but would really like to get down lower. I just have to make up my mind to do what it takes.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #7  

We went to the gym this morning. I walked/jogged my usual 1/2 mile and was just starting on the bike, when DirectTV called to say the service man was on his way and would be here in 20 min...so we left right away and got here before he did but he was here within 5 min. Dh upgraded so he can record more shows at once. While he was here the guy hooked up our surround sound so now we use it for TV as well as movies and also hooked up dh's TV Ears so they can be used with movies too.
So we are high tech now....LOL

On plan so far. We are going out to eat tonight though and that will be a challenge. Tues is my weigh-in day so hope I won't blow it.

Carol - Yes I think that's what it takes...it's more mental than anything cause when you really make the decision to do it at all costs...you can do it. That is the hard part for me too. When there is so much good food around wherever you go, it's not easy.

Last edited by maryea; 01-11-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:33 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 2"

What a surprise to find site redone.

Mary the blue is pretty, I always enjoy blue, too. Direct TV really fixed you up!!! Glad you took advantage of professional help while he was at the house.

DH did exactly what your's did when I began watching Downton Abbey. I didn't watch the beginning of the repeated one, but when DH"s game was over, he went to bed and I could have TV. Bit upset with One who choose to please Mary rather than his future wife!!!! Relieved for the Bates couple.

Carol Sue You have succeeded in staying below 200. That is progress. Scale showed closer here, but this morning not. Don't understand what went wrong. Know food was correct, but I spent Sunday reading after we came home from Mass. Great book on Historical Geology that DH and I both love.

After lots of time gathering information, DH and I finally agree that NOT spending is of prime need now. He went to lunch with an old friend and they enjoyed their time together. His friend had a very old photo on Facebook. DH was shocked when they met now - he didn't recognize this very wrinkled old man. DH looks far younger but still put up a recent photo on Facebook.

BobbiLove Cabbage and the combination with apples sounds enticing.

Karrine
Consider getting that ankle checked out. Good luck.

My ring is spinning around my finger, guess the salt is out of my system now. Watched my eating for last few days, but except for Saturday's good walk outside, I've been in chairs reading.

Supper is lentil soup and salad. Healthy and a favorite of mine.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:23 PM   #9  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Brrrrr ~ down in the 30's this morning (and the last couple mornings).

It did get up to about 50 yesterday and was sunny, so I walked outside. I love the sunshine and fresh air. I ended up doing the treadmill today ~ have 15 minutes to go yet ~ we'll see. I've only done part of my PT exercises both yesterday and today.

I did get a couple things on my to do list done. I felt like if I at least did one thing a day off that list ~ even if it is a small thing ~ that is better than nothing and I feel better ~ like I didn't totally waste my day. Some days I don't feel up to tackling stuff. Some of the tasks take more energy than I have sometimes. And some of them I need to be in the right frame of mind to do them. One day at a time.....

Sandy ~ the new thread is because if there are over 500 posts, it is hard to load the thread, so when it gets close to 500, a new one needs to be started. Glad you found the new one. If your ring is loose ~ sounds like things are moving in the right direction.

Mary ~ I like your avatar ~ pretty blue. Glad you were able to get the guy there for your DirecTV to help you with that other stuff ~ should make things more enjoyable now for your TV watching. Sounds like you are in a good place mentally to succeed at this eating/food/weight loss thing. Go Mary ~ you can do it.

Carol Sue ~ do you have snow up by you? When I called mom's nursing home (NE Ohio area) the other day, the receptionist said it was snowing. Does Rusty mind having to go out to potty in the snow? Way to go sending the bread away. Your soup sounded good.

Karrine ~ congratulations on the 3 ½ pound loss. Sorry your ankle is still bothering. Hope that brace helps get it better.

Bobbi ~ thank you for helping us with the new thread. Your version of the cabbage soup sounds good (the easier the better) ~ think I'd like to try that one.

Hope you all have a good evening and a good rest tonight.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:25 PM   #10  

Hello Everyone Trying to drop the 48 lbs I gain last year due to shin splints from running and just sitting trying to heal I am back out again and started walking until I can run again but that will be awhile .
Old 01-12-2016, 06:07 AM   #11  

Good morning,
It is another snow day here today and I have yet to clear what came down yesterday because of my ankle. I'll have to get my ankle support on and try my best to clear the snow with my snow blower. I might have to take a couple of breaks but it has to be done. If I find that I am unable to do it once I get out there I'll quit and hire someone to do it for me.

Carol - thanks, I have been keeping my foot elevated in my recliner for the past few days. If I walk very slowly it doesn't hurt too much but the stairs are really bad for me.

Mary - how did your dining out go yesterday?

Sandy - yes, I think I'll have to get my ankle checked out soon if it doesn't improve.

Gayle - GFY getting the walking in yesterday.

Baily - Hello & welcome to our group. I'm glad you are out and about again in order to shed that 48 lb. gain.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 01-12-2016, 10:04 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Baily! Welcome to the thread. As you can see, a couple of us also have injuries that limit our exercising. I'm glad you are going to be able to start walking. That will help!

Gayle, I think Mary's version of the soup would be good for you with the apples added to it. Your DH might even like it!

Do you make an actual list of things you have to do or is it just in your mind? I think an actual list would be helpful for me. Also, they say if you have a big project to do, do a little bit every day instead of trying to tackle it all at once. This is something I have to do.

We got snow overnight and are supposed to have 1-3 inches by this evening. It's snowing very lightly. Most roads have been salted but it's on the grassy areas. I love snow since I don't have to go out to work anymore. Rusty doesn't mind going out in the snow to potty. He just doesn't stay out as long as he does when it's clear. We had one dog who loved the snow so much that he came in covered with snow and with ice frozen into his paws.

Karrine, my DH has 2 snow blowers. A big one and a small one that is good for small amounts of snow. I don't know how to operate either of them so if anything ever happens to DH I will have to hire someone to do it. I always say if I'm alone I will move to somewhere that has maintenance that takes care of snow and grass.

Sandy, good for you on your ring spinning around.

Mary, you seem to be getting back to your execise. Good for you. I need to do that. Why do I keep saying it but not doing it?????
Old 01-12-2016, 04:47 PM   #13  

Went to the gym again since we didn't get our full workout yesterday. Then we went to a couple stores for a few things. I didn't get enough for my morning snack but when I got home my BS was NICE...only 91...that is very low for me. I'm surprised I wasn't feeling it as I sometimes feel low when I'm actually normal. Only snack I had was 3 tiny cubes of some Luna bars..samples at New Seasons. For lunch I had my leftovers from the restaurant last night. It was really good...1/2 cup rice, and 4 small strips of fried chicken breast ..forgot to weigh but estimated 4 oz.

FL was not happy with me...because I didn't have enough am snack, and with lunch I also had about 1 T of the sweet chili dipping sauce and that made me go over on carbs. If I hadn't already eaten all the rice I would have been fine, but both was too much carb. Plus my meals were too far apart. So per FL, I didn't do so well for fat burning, but I think I'm ok on calories. I like the FL for making sure my nutrition is in line, but I like MFP for tracking the calories.

Once I feel I've gotten a good handle on my nutrition, I'll probably drop FL . I stopped too soon last time. I know quite a lot about nutrition, but I can still not eat right and FL makes me look more carefully at what I'm eating in general. So seeing what I did wrong even after the fact, helps me to think about what I'm eating more. It's still not easy though when I really want something.

Carol - I'm praying I'll get like you and not care about sweet snacks/desserts!
I am doing much better. Ever since Christmas there has been an opened box of Oreo Thins cookies...I bought them for the gk..but I liked them too and would often eat more than the kids! I've been back on FL a week now and have not been tempted by them, I ate some before I started it and they tasted way too sweet for me. The thought of the brownie mix still tempts me in the evenings, but I haven't made them. Maybe they wouldn't taste good to me now too, but I'm going to chance it. Not saying I never will but not yet. The whole idea of FL is that no food is off limits within proper portion and balanced nutrition is met. That basically ends up meaning you can have only a tiny tiny piece which would only frustrate me, I'd usually rather do without. Dh bought a small apple pie and that may tempt me later but so far it hasn't.
You have snow..so far no more here...we still have a few remnants of it here and there and it's cold so you never know. Glad Rusty doesn't mind it. Halo will go out but she comes in much quicker. She's a princess, doesn't like to be uncomfortable or have changes in her routine.

Sandy - Oh another fellow Downton Abbey fan!! I wish it weren't the last season, I will miss it. I can't remember...who is the guy who pleased Mary rather than his wife? Yes, I'm so happy for the Bates..they are so sweet. I also love that Carson and Mrs Hewes are happy and can't wait to see them marry. Poor Carson, he will have to adjust to a woman in his life, won't he? And wasn't the scenes of the cook trying to fulfill her commission from Mrs Hewes funny...the "embarrassing topic" with Mr Carson? I had a good laugh! They are all such good actors and that's what makes it so good. Plus I love the clothes!

Karrine - Do be careful when shoveling that snow. I wish you had someone to do it for you esp with your ankle still bothering you.

Baily - Welcome to our little group!

Glynne - 50 sounds nice! Glad you were able to get a walk in. We have been mostly in the 30s for quite a while now..now and then it gets up into the low 40s. Even in the 30s, it feels colder than that esp with the rain.

I need to get busy...want to clean the family room today..not easy as during the colder months, dh spends a lot of time there.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 318/218/160

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm Back

Hi to all,

I am back. It has been a while.

I finally had the courage to step on the scale...and while I am not surprised at the horrid number I saw, 2016 is the year of change.
Not where I started (I think it was 318) But way more than my low of 222.

I am Donna. I live in TN. Life has been more than stressful. Married for 27 years. Beloved daughter who is involved in something akin to a cult, where we have been declared the enemy. She will no longer communicate with us. And my son is 15 - many disabilities (Autism, Type 1 Diabetes, Hashimoto's, Alopecia, and Serious Trauma with recent PTSD issues) We are currently seeking short term Therapeutic Residential Treatment to help him make progress.

So I just gave up caring. Life has become so overwhelming that there is only so much I can focus on. However, it is time to start again.

Looking forward to reading and supporting you all on the journey!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #15  
Bobbi

I'm having a good week so far as dieting, just purchased more broccoli for my snacking. I need to make another batch of Farmers cheese for my raw veggies. I tried the farmers cheese on top of pizza, good but not as good as mozzarella. (I put in pizza seasoning in my last batch, very good. I can't eat any "hard" cheeses, brings on migraines. That's why I make so much homemade Farmers cheese, cream cheese and ricotta.
Carol...how you doing on the challenge? When I checked Monday morning, only half the people that signed up were missing or didn't bother to weigh in. Strange after only two weeks.
You all have a great day
PSDonna...so sorry to hear about your daughter and the cult. You must be very frustrated, I'm going to try and remember to put you daughter in my prayers at night.
Closed Thread