Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 12:23 PM   #1  
A Lily from my yard!

Post The Low-Carb Craze

The Low-Carb Craze (I got this from SBD Daily Dish)

In recent months, the media has been focusing its attention on low-carb diets, and food manufacturers are jumping on the bandwagon. Most grocery stores now have entire sections devoted to the many low-carb products available. What should you know about this trend, and how does it fit into the South Beach Diet?

First of all, you should be aware that the label "low-carb" is neither FDA-approved nor government-regulated. This means there is no standard for what makes a product "low-carb"-each company uses its own mathematical formula for calculating net carbohydrates. The FDA plans to suggest labeling guidelines for these products in the near future, but until regulations are in place, consumers will be in the dark about which products are true to their advertising.

For South Beach devotees, these labeling woes are not much of an issue. The South Beach Diet is not a low-carb diet-it emphasizes eating good carbs and good fats. Many "low-carb" products are high in saturated fats, trans fats, and large quantities of sugar alcohols, and you should be extremely cautious when deciding whether to purchase them. As always, you're better off buying whole, fresh foods or items that you know are SBD-approved. If you have a question regarding a specific product, visit The South Beach Diet Online to ask a nutritionist.

A national women's magazine is looking to interview women who have lost 50 pounds or more on the South Beach Diet. If this sounds like you, e-mail your story (plus your name, age, and geographic location) as soon as possible to [email protected]
Old 02-19-2004, 12:39 PM   #2  

When I got mine this morning I forwarded it on to my friends on Atkins....just as an FYI...I am concerned they are eating too much of those so called low carb products and too much saturated fats.......I am glad I chose SBD....just seems like a much healthier way!
Old 02-19-2004, 12:41 PM   #3  

too much=too many....I have to correct myself....
Closed Thread