Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #1  

Wink Men's Vitamins?

Hi, I have been looking around for some multivitamins and I have found it very hard to find a women's formula without iron. My boyfriend takes Men's Health mutivitamins-do you think those would be suitable for me? I took one today to try it out...
Old 02-17-2004, 03:12 PM   #2  
Baby Steps

Why do you want to take a vitamin w/out iron? And I doubt there's any difference really between a man's vitamin and woman's. But then I'm not up on vitamins so I'm probably wrong. They couldn't HURT you
Old 02-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Brenda, I think some people look for vitamin's without iron because they already have high iron consumption with the meats that they are eating - they don't want to get too much (because it does something, what I don't know...I just seem to remember that little tidbit).

Allison, if I'm not mistaken, vitamins for people age 50+ are lower in iron (at least that's what my Mom told me!)
Old 02-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

AH. Thanks for the info. I hadn't known I learned something knew
Old 02-17-2004, 04:10 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Here's what the Atkins website says about iron:

Quote:
Don't routinely take an iron supplement or vitamins with iron unless your physician finds you to be iron deficient. Iron can accumulate in the body and raise your risk of disease.
I haven't specifically looked for a multi without iron. But I'm almost out, so maybe I will. I don't particularly care if it's for men or women, I'm much more interested in reading the labels and figuring out which gives me the most of what I need. (calcium, magnesium, etc.)
Old 02-17-2004, 04:56 PM   #6  
Baby Steps

I've been buying the Atkins brand. I figure I'll keep doing that until I'm off (which at this rate will be forever. lol) induction. Then I'll switch to a regular vitamin. I'm just afraid of missing a vitamin that's needed
Old 02-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I use one a day weight smart, but I know I need to switch. I don't think a men' vitamin could hurt but your doctor would be able to give you the best advice. Or write to atkins' support.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:40 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_adnerb
Why do you want to take a vitamin w/out iron? And I doubt there's any difference really between a man's vitamin and woman's. But then I'm not up on vitamins so I'm probably wrong. They couldn't HURT you

Well, I read in the book that you shouldn't take a vitamin with iron in it....I'll have to look it up again so I can tell you where I read that.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:58 AM   #9  
Head Princess

Check out my previous post. It explains why Atkins says not to take additional iron supplements.
Old 02-18-2004, 12:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Allison,

I also take multi vitamins without iron bec the iron makes me sick as a dog. I take GNC Women's Ultra Mega without iron. It is loaded with all sorts of vitamins, more then any of the others I've compared it with. But my doc told me yesterday that he would prefer I take Centrum or Stresstabs bec they are made in the US and he is not so sure that GNC products are made here. I will have to check into that but I'm gonna finish my $20 bottle from GNC before I look into Centrum or Stresstabs. If they have iron in them I can't take them.

I was taking the One A Day Weight Smart, but it has 18 mgs of iron in them and they make me sooooooo green!

hope this helps,
cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 02-18-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-18-2004, 02:10 PM   #11  
Baby Steps

I'm making notes for when I'm no longer on induction. That way I can hook into a decent vitamin.

Hubby said he wants me to stay on the Atkins ones for now also. So that's another point towards that for me. But I don't want to be on those for life.
Closed Thread