PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default PCOS Fall Support Thread (Sept, Oct, Nov)

Check in and let us know how you are!

For the fall round up:
  • How are you?
  • How's the PCOS?
  • What are you working on now as goals?
  • How successful were you for past month on your goals?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #2  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

How are you?

Mom was right. We lost another elder. And I was right too -- it's making Alz dad wig out again. So some concerns there.

But just for me? I am doing well. I recently started progesterone/estrogen replacement because my labs were so rock bottom and I was having crazy perimenopause symptoms. It is helping a lot -- I don't feel so berserk. I actually feel weird feeling good. Like it has been so long since I felt normal with normal sleep.... I am wondering when it all goes haywire again.

How's the PCOS?

I just had labs and I see the endoc this week to review them. Hopefully labs are mostly good. One other significant change to my protocol was dropping my Synthroid. Some of this hot flash crazy was perimenopause related and some of it was from the synthroid. The compound pharmacist suggested I quit it. I did and noticed a reduction in my symptoms. I think the synthroid was exacerbating it.

I'm not sure what thyroid solution I can figure out with endoc but I def don't want synthroid any more if it adds to my hot flashes crazy!

How successful were you for past month on your goals?

Well, my main goal was to see what was wrong with me! That I seem to have done:
  • I was grateful for herbalist helping take the edge off with the progesterone cream, evening primrose, and vitex while I was seeking a new OB/Gyn for the fuller dx.
  • I am grateful to a friend who suggested her OB/Gyn.
  • I am grateful to the OB/Gyn who LISTENED and ordered labs.
  • It took me a bit to sort out the compounding pharmacy so I could be on stronger hormone help. But the relief I feel is immense!
  • I am grateful to spouse for hanging in there from Feb to July while I was sorting all the above out.

Other goals?

Quote:
diet (not sure what to do with this -- DH now has requirement so trying to figure out what fits ALL the family members)
Been experimenting with recipes. So far the family's cooperative and patient. Will keep doing this.

Quote:
exercise (3x a week, anything) <-- I am going to focus here because that seems easiest to deal with right now.
Not to the 3x a week place. I changed to measuring steps and that seems more trackable. Thank you fitbit!

What are you working on now as goals?

Find more recipes.
Aim for 6,000 steps a day average as a mini goal toward the bigger goal of 10,000 steps.

Meds:
  • 2000 mg Metformin XR
  • 40 progesterone/20 e4M
  • Multivitamin
  • Fish oil
  • Vit D
  • Vit b12
  • inositol <-- waiting for it to come in the mail

Will check in after the endoc to report on my labs.

Hope you guys are doing well!

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-09-2015 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

How are you?

I'm okay. I've been super stressed out at work, because I have more responsibilities than ever.

And with that stress and travel, I've had weight gain, of course.

That makes me unhappy.

How's the PCOS?

I think it's okay. Since Astrophe's post, however, I'm wondering if I need to start thinking about perimenopause...!!!!

What are you working on now as goals?

So, since I gained weight and I was super stressed out and my good, healthy eating had gone out the door, I'm doing the baby steps again.

Not buying the chocolate bars and eating them like a ravenous monster.

Not eating or buying the cookies, cakes, and such, that are my downfall. One is not one. I cannot do it in moderation.

Remind myself that no, I don't eat those things, period.

Cook at home a lot of my meals. Include vegetables.

And healthy levels of exercising -- I tend to exercise too much (believe it or not!) and it stresses me out. I need to find a good balance of things I like and that make me feel good.

How successful were you for past month on your goals?

Much better. I was at home for the majority of the month, which always helps and I started my baby steps.

BF is also started on his weight loss regime (and has already lost a ton of weight) because he had gained as I gained (we're bad influences!).

Goals for this month:
- When I travel, not to use it as a free for all for any kind of food
- Exercise mindfully, healthfully, and lessen this stress
- Reduce/minimize all sugar intake (from cookies and from added sugars in foods)
- Increase vegetable intake
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:33 PM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Nice to see you, Rana!

Just wanted to share that I took the family to the park for a walk after dinner. Almost and hour. Nailed my 6,000 steps today. Go me.

One day at a time.

A.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

No workout yesterday. 5098 steps. Not 6000.

Workout today was different. I went with one online.

Ellen Barrett: Walking Kit - 30 Minute Walk (03)

7137 steps so over my 6000 goal. Go me!

Hopefully my weekly average will be on track.

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 09-11-2015 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone!! It's been a good while since I've posted in this thread. Hope all is well for you ladies!

How are you I am doing great!! As I get closer to my goal weight I am noticing the weight loss slow down, but I am still losing pretty well in my measurements so I am chalking that up to gaining muscle mass, which is a great thing!!

How's the PCOS? No issues at all!! I haven't been on any medication...I took BC last year but stopped because it made me so sick. I was taking it to help regulate my cycles but then I started to take Vitex and that helped me get on track and didn't make me sick. For about 3-4 months now I stopped taking the Vitex (only because I'd forget to take it) but still have successfully had a cycle every month. That is huge for me after going sometimes 6-8 months without having a cycle before working on my health.

What are you working on now as goals? Right now I have been researching carb cycling and would like to try it to boost my weight loss. My goal for this year is to lose down to 200 lbs...I'm 15 pounds away. I've been doing low carb for quite awhile and now it's gotten to where it's doing nothing for me and my energy levels have plummeted. I haven't gone full carb cycling yet, not sure how it will affect me, but I'm eating more carbs and started to increase my protein amount...Trying to get as much protein in as I can. Started working on that this week and so far my energy levels are increasing . I also want to get a good structure going for workouts. I need to break up my weight training to several muscle groups throughout the week to where I do some sort of weight training every day and focus more on that than cardio.

How successful were you for past month on your goals? I didn't really have any set goals for this past month. I've been trying not to obsess over the scale because I think it's easy to get caught up in that especially when you see your weight fluctuate over the same 3 pounds all month. I still weigh myself and log it on a weekly basis, but I am trying to remember that sometimes you won't lose on the scale but it will show in your clothes and measurements. It is just a tool to be used to help you see where you're at...The number on the scale doesn't always tell the truth
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 293/269/150

Height: 5'1

I am so glad there is a thread here for PCOS. I went to the OBGYN today and she said more than likely that is what I have. I had a pap and urine sample done today. I have to go in next week for sonogram and she will determine if I need a D&C or Ablation.

I am so scared to be honest. I haven't had a yearly pap in 2 years because every time, I have to have a colpo. THOSE HURT LIKE CRAZY!

My family Dr put me on South Beach Gluten little over a week ago and been hanging at 10lbs lost for a few days now. She(obgyn) told me to stay with the diet and keep losing, get my exercise in. She even talked about putting me on provera to get my periods going again. It has been really nice hardly ever having one, I don't want to start having them again.

I just don't know what to expect from here on out.
amatxlatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

amatxlatina I was like you. I went almost 10 years without seeing a doctor. I was diagnosed when I was about 19 or 20, and didn't have a doctors appointment again until 2 years ago. I went 6-8 months at a time without having a menstrual cycle and I actually liked the fact that I didn't have to deal with that every month, but believe me, you will feel a lot better once you have one every month. It is also detrimental to your health that you shed the lining of your uterus. Keep with changing your eating habits, exercise and drink plenty of water. Provera will help with getting you back to normal. I got really sick taking birth control and didn't like the idea of taking it, so I found that Vitex supplement really helped me and I have gotten a period every month since I started taking it. I recently stopped only because I forgot to take it and I still have not had any issues with my cycle each month. Weight loss will help that.

Keep your chin up girly! Just make sure you do your research and this thread is very helpful with questions!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/269/150

Height: 5'1

Thank you SamIAM86. I appreciate it very much! I have a sonogram scheduled for tomorrow and a consultation after to see what the best option is for me at this point.
amatxlatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:48 PM   #10  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

SamIAm86 – welcome back! Glad you are doing well. And yep – weight on scale is just a weight measure. Hope you are are able to make the diet tweaks you want to make.

Amatxlatina – Welcome! Glad you are doing your self care and doing your check ups. Everyone presents differently with PCOS – we come in at least 5 presentations.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...tient-you.html

Just take it one thing at a time. Right now getting all your checks ups done to know what your base line values are seems like a good place to start.

My Check In:

30 min workout today.

Saw endoc. I'm off the synthroid. On a lower dose of unithroid – I feel a lot less crazy and can sleep. I hope this new brand works out better for me. I have more labs in November to check. Saw allergist -- and it was an intern with him. She happened to do her paper on PCOS so we had a long conversation about that in addition to the allergist stuff... it was neat to see more education in medical personnel than in yesteryear.

Before it was like GPs and OB/GYN had no clue... now even the ALLERGISTS get it. Woot! She looked at all the things I'm taking and complimented on rockin' the PCOS regime.

Trying to keep up with my steps and not derail on the week where I am off my hormone replacement therapy. It's similar to BCP in that you take a week “off.” And on that week all the crazy perimenopause hot flashes, joint pain and whatnot whoosh back in and makes it hard to function. It's a work in progress but MAN. I had forgotten how much I could get done when NOT feeling like crud. The other weeks where I am on the HRT are great.

A.
Old 11-19-2015, 02:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Hi all...

I haven't done well at all.

Maybe in some areas -- like exercise, I've been diligent. I always am.

But diet-wise, I've been blowing it since September. I try. I do well for a few days. Then off the wagon I go.

It got a critical point at the end of October, early November. And I am back, trying to make sense of it all. I've started to count calories. Intuitive eating DOES NOT WORK FOR ME. Counting carbs. Paleo/Primal style.

I've been traveling like crazy, which did turn into a feeding frenzy, which I had to stop. In the end, I was fine skipping dinners because I had eaten too much food.

I don't know where I am in terms of weight. I just know that my clothes are tight and I feel big and bloated.

I also have an appointment to get my labs taken in 2 weeks. I will see where I am in that. Probably not in a good place, but I need to start somewhere. The good news is that I am not traveling for work for a bit. So I can get back to my routine.

I'm also going to start going back more to spinning. I had stopped it because of injuries, but I think I need to go back to it. It kept me thin.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Come join us on the winter thread!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/pcos...ml#post5218905

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 11-28-2015 at 04:04 PM.