Old 02-16-2004, 12:18 PM   #1  
kpw

Post meatloaf recipe

At least, I'm pretty sure it's a Phase I, although I haven't done the calcs yet. See notes in my post. Ruthxxx
This meatloaf isn't as smooth since I omit any bread products, but it's certainly tasty!

For the meatloaf:
1 lb ground turkey (you can use lean beef, but I really like ground turkey)
1 TB olive or canola oil
1 cup finely diced mushrooms (any kind, the wilder the better)
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2-3 TB chopped fresh herbs (mixture of parsley and thyme are great here)
1/3 cup lowfat/nf grated parmesean
2 egg whites (or equivalent L.E.S)
1TB tomato paste

and for the spices. I like my dishes heavily spiced so I used the following, but by all means, feel free to omit or change as desired:
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t rubbed sage
1/2 t chili powder
1/2 t garlic powder
1 t kosher salt
lots of fresh ground black pepper

In a saute pan, heat the olive oil and sautee the mushrooms, onions, garlic and fresh herbs over medium heat until the mushrooms have released all their liquid - season with s&p and let the mixture cool a bit (about 5 minutes). In a large bowl, combine the turkey, mushroom mixture and remaining ingredients until well incorporated. Add to a loaf pan sprayed with veggie oil spray and top with tomato mixture (see below) and cook at 375 for about 35 minutes or until juices are clear.

Tomato topping - Caity's ketchup recipe would be excellent for a topper here too. Here's mine:

3 TB tomato paste
1 TB t beef broth (use worchester here if not on Phase 1)
1 TB chopped sundried tomatoes
Several dashes hot sauce (I like the habenaro hot by Tabasco, but omit if you don't like hot sauce).

Combine all and pour on top of meatloaf prior to baking.
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 01:58 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

The problem is with the ground turkey which often contains fat and skin as well as dark meat puts it in the "very limited" category according to the GFGC Guide. If you use beef, it should be extra lean and even that is limited according to the Guide.
I will change your title to remove the Phase indicator. It does look like a tasty recipe and could be used in later phases.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #3  
kpw

Lightbulb Good to know!

Thanks! I was unclear about lean ground meat during phase I, although the book lists lean ground meat as OK. I sometimes grind my own and will do so for phase I -

Thanks!
kpw is offline   Reply With Quote