Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 08-20-2015, 12:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 257/251/130

Height: 5'3"

Question Bypass vs Sleeve

I am considering weight loss surgery and am struggling between the gastric bypass and the gastric sleeve. I need to lose over 100 pounds and have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. I have been advised that the bypass is the best option for both of those situations.
I have a coworker that had the sleeve and only lost about 70 pounds, most of which she has put back on. Although I believe her regain is mostly her own fault, I have been advised that regain is more common with the sleeve than with the bypass.
I have been advised that dumping is more of an issue with the bypass than with the sleeve. If anyone has experienced dumping I am really interested in your advice. I am also concerned with the potential for hair loss and malnutrition. I know the hair concern is vain, but I have great hair!
Zaffaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

There are pros and cons with each surgery. It's true that you lose slower and less weight with the sleeve, and dumping is not much of an issue. If you follow the prescribed way of eating, dumping shouldn't be a problem with the bypass, either.

One of the most important things with the sleeve, is that I absorb the nutrients from the food I eat. This is not true with the bypass. Also, my bowels stayed intact. I was prediabetic, and have great A1C test results now. Also, I had high blood pressure, and have been off of those meds since shortly after surgery.

The best thing you can do, is talk with your surgeon and your nutritionist then decide which avenue you want to take. Regardless, please keep posting and let us know how you're doing.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #3  

I also have a bit over 100 lbs to lose. I chose bypass/ roux en y because it's supposed to yield a greater weight loss, help reverse metabolic syndrome, and for me, the dumping syndrome is a plus. Anything to help me kick my Krispie Kreme habit!

Good luck.
FatBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

I chose sleeve, although RNY was tempting! Getting sicker/dumping harder sure is a better deterrent for those problem foods! I still tell myself that certain foods will make me sick (candy, donuts, pasta, etc) even though they might not. Whoever said this was the "easy" way didn't have to agree to never have a donut again!

Sleeve does have data to show that it "catches up" to the total weight loss that the bypass has, but it tends to be a bit slower, especially at first, because there is not as much malabsorption.

I did still have hair loss, around month 4. It got crazy in the shower! Luckily, I too have pretty good hair and lots of it, so my appearance was not hurt. It's grown back now and it's all good. I still take biotin along with my vitamins, it can't hurt!

Ultimately, I liked that the sleeve was less invasive and did not re-route the bowels. But it's a personal choice, and I have people in my support group from each type of surgery! Good luck!
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:38 AM   #5  

I know someone who got the sleeve- she lost about 80 pounds its been a little over a year. She could've probably lost more but I don't feel she takes it serious enough. Again as mentioned above, there's pros and cons to both.I don't know much about bypass but if you're going to do the sleeve you must be in it and fully committed 100% (I'm sure that's just the same with the bypass as well though). But as you've heard, with the sleeve it is easy to gain back after you get over the all the initial stages if you don't work at it. Good luck with whichever you choose!!
Jenny_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Here's the thing, whatever procedure you choose you have to remember that it is not the remedy, it is a tool to help. I know people who have had bypass and have regained most of their weight. The tool helps us to quickly lose weight, but another aspect we MUST address is our food addiction! What happens when you're close to goal weight feeling great, and then the food monster rears it's ugly head. Having the surgery is only one step of a whole process. When we have the surgery we must make sure we prescribe to the bariatric lifestyle for LIFE. That includes dense proteins (lean meats, eggs, cheese), water, supplements (daily!), and mental health.

Personally I went with the sleeve, I'm 5.5 weeks out and have lost 38 lbs and I do not stray from my plan, I get tempted but I have a lot invested in my success in this journey. I study my plan daily and reassess to make sure I stay on track. I always keep in mind why I chose this path.

I do not mean any of this to sound abrasive it just is what it is, regardless of the surgery chosen the outcome at the very end is all on us! Remember, our surgeons only operate on our belly, not our mind!

Have a great day!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Aint that the truth Michelle.. its not a cure, only a tool. The key is working on the old noggin and getting your brain trained. Habits are easy to slip back into after surgery, very easy. So please remember, no matter what you choose and that should be something you and your physician decide, it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to keep it off. I can not recommend enough that you get a good support group, and that includes family.

What ever you decide I know you are going to do well <3
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:22 AM   #8  

hI, I went for lap band surgery. I had tried dieting and all the other techniques to lose weight but was unsuccessful. I had to get rid of obesity by any means possible because my doctor told me about the other issues that come with obesity and these risks involved heart attacks & asthma. I had to lose 80 lbs. Finally, i had to go with lapband surgery Now, its been more than a year and i am quite satisfied.
josemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #9  

Height: 6-1.5

I have not yet, but I am considering the sleave, because even if I do lose 70 pounds, that is a huge dent in my problem and at that weight, I would be able to begin to exersise and get into shape. At this weight I can hardly walk without pain all day. I would even have gone with the lap band, even to lose 50 pounds, because I can't seem to on my own. Only, I have heard so many bad things about it.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

I had gastric bypass July 10th 2015 My surgery weight was 287. I am 5 months out and I am 203.6 now. I love my new tummy, yes some times I have issues, but I would not trade it for anything! Very happy with my progress! im down 84 lbs so far.
Rebecca85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:39 AM   #11  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

WTG Rebecca
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #12  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

I know this thread is old, but I'm not on here much and wanted to chime in.

I had VSG in December 2014, and as you can see by my signature I've lost over 130 lbs since then (surpassing even my "stretch" goal.) I agree 1000% with Michelle. Any WLS is a tool, not a cure. It will work only as hard as you work it, if that makes sense. Any form of WLS can be wildly successful, and any form can fail miserably if you're not committed to the lifelong changes that must occur. I'm a big proponent of pre-WLS therapy to deal with the many head issues that come with obesity. As my surgeon told me, "[They're] removing most of your stomach, not doing a brain transplant."

Good luck, I'm confident you'll make the best decision for you!
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:56 PM   #13  

I struggle with this decision too. I need to lose over 60lbs and was told by a surgeon that he would do either sleeve or RNY. Since I have less than 100 lbs to lose, I'm opting for the sleeve. You can achieve your goal too with either one.
pumpkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #14  

I have been approved for weightloss surgery and am seeing a new doctor because my previous doctor accepted a job in another state and is leaving. The new doctor said that I should have the gastric bypass and not the sleeve but my previous doctor said the sleeve is what is good for me. I am confused and am not sure what I should do stick with my first choice or change to the bypass? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am so excited about the surgery but scared too as it should be happening at the end of August or begining of September as I have been approved by my insurance company which I thought would be the biggest hurddle but it has not it's the doctor after doctor appointment the picking and poking that has me on edge because I thought once you are approved by insurance you just go in and schedule it but this doctor is not doing that which I guess is a good thing but I am just wanting this done so badly I want it now. I am trying to calm down and do all that I need to do and as quickly as I can do it.
edensalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #15  
By God's Grace

S/C/G: 293/ticker/175

Mine was a 6 month process with lots of appointments and nutritional counseling. Make sure you follow what your doctor is recommending, it's all for your own good.
Gale02 is offline   Reply With Quote