Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-17-2015, 02:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/190/125

Height: 5'1"

Default Gaining muscle weight? When will scale go down?

I've been doing some resistance band training in some of my workouts but last week I added 10lb weight reps. I saw a dramatic slow to my weight loss. I only lost 0.5oz this last week. Assuming I am losing fat and gaining muscle, when is it typical to start seeing the scale go down again? or does it very by person and exercise?
ladyvwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Mine never did once I hit about 170. It just hovered around the same and I just got slowly more ripped. If you want to lose, eat less (might be hard to do) or up the cardio but your muscle gains will also suffer.

At your height/weight I would expect you have a few more pounds to drop before this becomes a big issue. I would expect you to see some losses again soon.

Last edited by IanG; 08-18-2015 at 07:24 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/190/125

Height: 5'1"

Thanks for the feedback IanG!
ladyvwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:36 PM   #4  

oh that's me. If i try some leg exercises I am gaining muscle weight and then my legs are looking like men legs.... very ugly... would change that, if I could
Cristyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM   #5  
Refreshed

Are you also doing cardio? I've found that I have to do cardio and weights, though I do weights more than cardio. In addition, I had to adjust my caloric intake.
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 03:04 AM   #6  

Don't get discouraged. It could be what yiu are eating.
Campana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:03 AM   #7  

Height: 5'8.5"

It could just take time. I have a tendency to get "stuck" for a month or two without seeing any weight drop.... argh... that is when it is hard to stay on target. Then I will drop 4 or 5 pounds in a week or two... then stuck again. I think it does vary with different people. Keep up the good work!

Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:04 AM   #8  

Your first step is to determine if what you're gaining is fat, muscle, or water. Muscle is more dense than fat, but it takes up less space. That means if you gain muscle, your scale weight may go up even as you're slimming down (indianworkouts).
luckyvenkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 10:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 183.5/138.2/125.0

Height: 5'4"

Hey I had the same "problem." It's really not a problem at all. When I started lifting weights my weight loss plateaud for like - gee - a month maybe? First of all, the day after doing my first really hard leg workout I actually gained weight. I asked my sister about it - she and her husband are into bodybuilding. She says any time you really work out your legs hard you'll gain water weight as the muscles repair themselves. She says even with their regular workouts she and her husband are always a little heavier the day after they do legs.

I just rode it out and for a little while and decided maybe it would be OK to just stay at the weight I'd got down to (I'd already lost 40 lbs). My clothes were continuing to get looser. I stuck to my diet, then the weight just started melting off very quickly. Now it seems the weight is coming off more easily than it did before I started working out. I think I'm seeing the increase in metabolism that comes with building muscle. It feels so good to be firming up and when you're building muscle at the same time you're losing fat, people really start noticing the changes in your body.
StaceySue is offline   Reply With Quote