Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 01:09 PM   #1  

Default Any Suggestions?

Hi folks,

I am a regular exerciser and like to do kick boxing, step aerobics and my elliptical trainer. I also use weights. My problem is I am going for surgery on my leg today. It isn't anything big but will take a week or two before I can get back at any significant exercise. Any thoughts on what I can do in the meantime? I think I can still use my weights with my arms but it is my legs - walking on the treadmill is out until the stitches come out. I am afraid of losing my momentum and the endurance that I have struggled for months to get to. Any thoughts or suggestions from you knowledgeable people would be appreciated!!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:20 AM   #2  

What about swimming? That is, if you have access to an indoor pool. You can get waterproof bandages to go over the area.

Would an exercycle (indoor bike) put too much stress on your leg? I wouldn't use it a first but maybe after a week it might be OK.

I would definitely ask the doc what you can and can't do when you go in.

Hope you get it worked out!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #3  
Head Princess

How about Pilates mat exercises? You wouldn't be able to do the leg series, but a lot of the ab work and such should be ok.

If worse comes to worse, I don't think it will take you long to recover from 2 weeks of lower body "neglect".
Old 02-12-2004, 03:43 PM   #4  

Thanks for the suggestions. I tend to get a little compulsive - now that I am an exerciser there is nothing that will stop me getting my daily dose. I can't sit because the incision is higher up but GREAT GREAT GREAT news - I can do my treadmill. So, I will just hamster it for a few weeks. By the way, the surgeon was a man with what he thought was a sense of humour - he made some joke about the incision being able to heal beautifully so I could get back into my bikini in no time flat. Inside, I thought, darn right pal. I will be in that bikini, actually I would probably feel naked and obscene in a bikini regardless of my size, but I will be a one piece then - in no time flat!!! And, to boot, I will be buff from all this exercise!! Thanks very much for your ideas....
Closed Thread