Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Default Cutting out processed foods for 10 days. Who's with me?

So I've been thinking...
After monitoring my diet, which I thought was pretty clean to begin with, I've realised that I've been eating and binging on a lot of processed foods (ex. ice cream bars, granola bars, crackers, etc),
I am starting a challenge of only whole foods for 10 days (that includes home made deserts) to see what it will do in terms of energy, mood, and weight loss.
I'll be following Michael Pollan's food rules but you're welcome to join in using whatever parameters you want! I'll be weighing myself everyday and posting the results here.

Day 1

Last edited by muguet; 06-21-2015 at 07:39 PM.
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #2  
I'm the Man On Scale

S/C/G: 88.3kg/82.3kg/80.0kg

Height: 173cm

Well, processed food is bad because it simply lacks in satiety, unlike whole products. I started only about 1.5 months ago and lost 6 kg (13 pounds), I don't crave anything processed. From time to time I will have some chips, or a chocolate bar,m but only on a cheat day. I don't have any cravings for junk food whatsoever. I crave the food I learned to cook and it tastes amazing.

But good luck with the challenge. I'm gonna subscribe just to see how you do, now you can't fail. :P
ManOnScale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #3  
Less of a Better Me

muguet - How did the 10 days go?

I do generally follow Pollan's rules -- not entirely, but I think about them. There is a blog called 100 days of real food where the bloggers set out to follow those rules for I think 30 days. There is also a book about it. You might want to check it out. (It isn't my blog...just one I like).
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 223/197/120

Height: 5'5

Hi everyone!!

Thanks for your interest in my post. I got majorly sidetracked due to a trip and had to start over yesterday!
I've tweaked my diet quite a bit since I had a bad case of eczema so I'm cutting out caffeine, gluten, most nightshades, dairy, and eggs in addition to only eating whole foods.
I've also started the couch to 5k programme and some strength exercises. This takes a total of 40 minutes out of my day. I'm letting you all know because I don't think I'll see the results I want without exercising and because it just seemed to make sense. This is mostly about establishing good habits, not so much about weight loss.

So far, in 2 days, this is what happened:

- I lost 1,6 pounds (without being graphic, I've been cleaned out). I went from 158 to 156,4.
- I don't have any sugar cravings (knocks on wood). I have a bit of honey or maple syrup to satisfy my horrible sweet tooth.
- My skin is purging. I'm guessing this is more the exercising than anything but thought I'd mention it since it has nothing to do with changing skincare or my cycle.

Koshka: I love 100 days of real food! I watch her youtube videos as well (she doesn't update anymore but I still like to rewatch her pantry video).

Now that I have an audience I'll update more often, so sorry!
muguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #5  
Yes.

Definitely, no processed food please. Any updates?
Forseir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Hi, I'm new here so just ready this thread.

I've lost 10 pounds since June 17 eating real food, no aspartame, minimally processed if it must be (ex. Raw flour tortillas only have five ingredients, no preservatives and they're much easier to work with when cooking).

I already ate local beef, pork,chicken and grow/preserve at least 50% of my veg, BUT I still purchased dressings with 30 ingredients, marinades full of chemicals, processed potato products, you get picture.

My biggest hurdle was giving up Diet Coke....and that was the key to it all I think. I feel so much better and I really believe this was poisoning me. Everything else was easy.

Anyway, any updates! Hope you're still progressing.

Last edited by PrairieQueen; 07-19-2015 at 09:51 AM.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 02:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'5"

Prairie Queen, those diet sodas are killers....in so many ways. I am struggling with my diet mountain dew....but when I woke up today with lots of pain I realized that the diet soda was a huge factor. So, just water for me today....and I am feeling much better
LRAQUILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:11 AM   #8  

I have been on this journey as well. It took me a long time as I eventually chose to go with a gradual transition. Cutting everything out at once only caused daily binges.

Over the years, I have cut out grains, alcohol, diet soda, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, sugar, processed meats, low fat products - sort of in that order. I have been eating full fat yoghurt but I'm noticing I have been reaching less for it now, too. Coffee is down from 6 to 8 cups to only 2 cups, and no more on an empty stomach. I eat plenty of veggies, some lean meat, fish, eggs, limited fruits.

My skin is much clearer and I don't have those energy crashes anymore. Craving is much less as well. I have been able to stop eating after dinner - which is a big thing for this life long evening binger.

Yesterday I craved ice cream but after paying attention and trying to identify the craving, I realized I was just thirsty for something cooling after the parmesan I'd sprinkled on my dinner.
Baby steps make major changes!

How have you been doing, muguet?
equanimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/132.8/130

Height: 5'3.5"

Update: I am still at it and have lost 16.4 lbs since June 17. The last couple of weeks have been great...seems like it's all paying offf in so many wAys. The weight is coming off faster, i have so much energy, and I just know that I will live this lifestyle for the rest of my life.

Cheers everyone.
PrairieQueen is offline   Reply With Quote