Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 10:35 AM   #1  

Unhappy Too Many Calories on Atkins?

So, I have successfully lost those 2 pounds that I gained back, but I haven't lost any more. I started Atkins on January 6th and have only lost 7 pounds... I guess that's better than none! I started looking through my journal of what I eat, and wondered if I was eating too much. So, yesterday I actually ate like I normally do and I not only counted my carbs, but I counted my calories too. I ate nearly 2,000 calories yesterday! I know if you're on Atkins you're not supposed to worry about calories, but that many calories seems ridiculous! Does anyone think that I need to reduce my calorie intake? I'm thinking that is I do, I'll lose weight quicker on Atkins. I'm starting to wonder if this diet was right for me... I feel like I'm getting nowhere. I read all these other entries and see that others have lost 20 pounds in a month-NOT FAIR!!!! Lol, just kidding!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:10 AM   #2  
Head Princess

I've forgotten - what do you weigh now and what are you trying to get to? That makes a big difference! If you're 5'7" and already weigh 130 pounds, well then you need to be realistic. You won't drop 20 pounds in a month.

Yes, dropping the calories is probably a good idea, but don't go overboard. Try dropping to 1500 and see what happens.

Finally, and I can not stress this enough: this is not a diet this is a lifestyle change. If this is not something you plan on sticking with, then you will not be successful in keeping off whatever weight you lose.
Old 02-10-2004, 11:23 AM   #3  
Big Loser Wannabe

Can you please post your menu from yesterday, so we can take a look at it? Think of it this way, you have lost 7 pounds in a little over a month, and that is still very good! There is no contest to see who loses the most amount of weight in the first 2 weeks, first month, etc.. each body responds differently to each way of eating. There are alot of people who lose a little slower than others, but if this is going to truly be a way of life, rather than a quick fix, than you should be proud of those 7 pounds that you have lost
Old 02-10-2004, 11:53 AM   #4  

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarPrincess
I've forgotten - what do you weigh now and what are you trying to get to? That makes a big difference! If you're 5'7" and already weigh 130 pounds, well then you need to be realistic. You won't drop 20 pounds in a month.

Yes, dropping the calories is probably a good idea, but don't go overboard. Try dropping to 1500 and see what happens.

Finally, and I can not stress this enough: this is not a diet this is a lifestyle change. If this is not something you plan on sticking with, then you will not be successful in keeping off whatever weight you lose.

I am currently 187 pounds and I am 5"1', so I do have a lot to lose. I do understand that this is a lifestyle change and I'm dewtermined to do this for life. I'm just being a whiner about not losing quick enough, lol! THanks for your advise. I always appreciate hearing from you!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:01 PM   #5  

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillary29
Can you please post your menu from yesterday, so we can take a look at it? Think of it this way, you have lost 7 pounds in a little over a month, and that is still very good! There is no contest to see who loses the most amount of weight in the first 2 weeks, first month, etc.. each body responds differently to each way of eating. There are alot of people who lose a little slower than others, but if this is going to truly be a way of life, rather than a quick fix, than you should be proud of those 7 pounds that you have lost
Hi Hillary!

Here is my menu from yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 Morning Start Atkins Bar-Apple Crisp

Lunch: Greek Salad-romaine lettuce, feta cheese, kalamata olives, cucumber, vinegrette and grilled chicken breast

Snack: 2 slices turkey and colby-jack cheese

Dinner: 2 hamburgers with cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickles, mustard, mayo and no buns of course (from Wendy's)

Water: 65 ounces...not very good...

Yes, I am VERY happy that I have lost SOME weight. We would all like to lose weight overnight, but I know that's not poosible... So, I am going to keep this up. I am really loving atkins better than anything else I have tried. I know I can definitely do this for the rest of my life!
Old 02-10-2004, 12:49 PM   #6  
Head Princess

My advice is to cut the breakfast bar and eat something else instead. The problem that many of us have found is those damn sugar alcohols. Just because they don't affect blood sugar levels (and for some people they do) does not mean that they are not metabolized. Most of us have found that we can only subtract out fiber. Sugar alcohols count! Keeping that in mind, you'll see how high your carb count really is.

Unfortunately, we can't trust that number they put on the front of packages. We need to check the nutritional charts and ingredient lists to be sure.

**Sometimes they don't add sugar alcohols on the nutritional chart, so watch for that! They can be sneaky!**

For me, cutting out the sugar alcohols made a huge difference!

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2004, 01:08 PM   #7  
Big Loser Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsChick

Here is my menu from yesterday:

Breakfast: 1 Morning Start Atkins Bar-Apple Crisp Try cutting this from your menu alltogether, and see if it changes anything, I know alot of people who get stalled on products like this. It would be better to eat 2-3 eggs, and some type of meat

Lunch: Greek Salad-romaine lettuce, feta cheese, kalamata olives, cucumber, vinegrette and grilled chicken breast

Snack: 2 slices turkey and colby-jack cheese how much cheese? Try not to overeat on the cheese.

Dinner: 2 hamburgers with cheese, tomato, lettuce, pickles, mustard, mayo and no buns of course (from Wendy's) what kind of mayo is this? You need to be very careful that it does not have hidden sugar

Water: 65 ounces...not very good... Water is the key! Its so important. I know that somedays I dont feel like drinking another glass, but I do it anyways, I want this weight GONE!

Yes, I am VERY happy that I have lost SOME weight. We would all like to lose weight overnight, but I know that's not poosible... So, I am going to keep this up. I am really loving atkins better than anything else I have tried. I know I can definitely do this for the rest of my life!
You have the right attitude

Also are you taking vitamins? I have heard that taking calcium while on Atkins, also helps with the weightloss. I have been able to drop my weight super fast because I am still acting as if I am still on induction, and I have never once cheated, and I do not buy ANY of the "low carb" prepackaged foods, I have heard the stories of people stalling on them, so for now I am eating clean, and with fresh foods only.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:42 AM   #8  

Others have said that cheese bothers them and I imagine the cheese from Wendy's isn't even real cheese. Try cutting out the cheese.
I just started 2 weeks ago Monday and lost 7 lbs then slowed as well.
I started talking Calcium with Vitamin D on monday.
Good luck to you.

I think of this as low fat food items didn't help me loose so why would buying low carb processed foods. I have had a few bars but then learned that they can stall people so haven't had any since.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:09 AM   #9  
Princess in Training

Some suggestions:

1) Check for Yeast symptoms...(read that part in the book, it explains it)
2) Get rid of the breakfast bar like princess said
3) Wendy's is ok in a fix, but if you are eating fastfood burgers more han 3 times a week, you're likely getting a TON of soy fillers, grain, and FAKE high carb cheese.
4) exercise is non-negotiable. If you aren't doing it, this is the problem. (read the exercise chapter)
5) suppliments are highly recommended. I suggest a multivitamin, L-carnitine, and chromium....try that when the other stuff doesn't work.(read the suppliments chapter)
6) are you using fitday to accurately count carbs? I you're in induction, remember 20 in the limit and even things like coffee have carbs.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #10  
Princess in Training

Ohhh I nearly missed the bit about the "turkey slices" ummm did you check the sugar on those by chance? It's often hard to find lunch type meat without it--and Atkins pretty much says no Sodium Nitrate (although not all of us are very good about that, especially when it comes to bacon).
Old 02-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #11  
Total Sass Bucket

just an FYI, the morning start apple crisp bars she was talking about only have one gram of sugar alcohol in them, not like the advantage bars that have 17. I sometimes use them in a pinch because I can keep them in my car and eat on the way to class or even during class if I get hungry and the vending machines call my name
Old 02-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey? I have an Atkins Advantage bar in front of me. I'm not gonna eat it cause its yucky, but now I'm wondering.... how can you tell it has 17 grams of sugar alcohol in it. I've read the label and can't find any sugar alcohols. just wondering?
thanks,
cathy
Old 02-11-2004, 03:55 PM   #13  
Head Princess

Interesting that it doesn't list sugar alcohols....

What it does say, though is (this is the almond brownie advantage bar)

Total Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 7 g
Sugars 0 g

That leaves 14 grams of carbs unaccounted for. Most of us stick by the rule that any carb that's not fiber counts, so the bar actually has 14 grams of carbs, not 2.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:23 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Star! that is the exact same Advantage Bar I have in front of me. I just read on atkins.com that to get net carbs you simply subtract the fiber grams from the total carb grams. So like you said, on that bar 21 - 7 = 14. But atkins has posted on the label "2g net carbs". Wonder how in the world they figure that???

It's not a really big deal cause I ain't eatin these bars. I don't like them, but I wanted to be able to understand what's what so I'll know what I'm doing.

thanks,
cathy
Old 02-11-2004, 05:11 PM   #15  
Head Princess

Yeah, I've noticed that a lot of companies try to get sneaky. Another thing to watch out for is when the "Total Carbs" listed is low and then in tiny writing off to the side there's a little disclaimer saying that they did not include sugar alcohols in the total carb count. Argh!

I wish we could trust these guys to be honest with us!
Closed Thread