Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/199

Height: 5' 10.5"

Default Need advice

So I'm trying a different style of weight loss this time and doing a lot more weights that I used to. Squats, etc. free weights, planks. I can't do lunges. I want to be strong as I'm a nurse and it takes just one back injury to ruin a career.
I still do half an hour of cardio 4x a week on average and 1600 to 1700 diet.
I know weights don't really impact weight loss, it's cardio that does...but I'm stalled out and even gained a pound the last few days. I'm stuck at 197, I trying not to focus on the weight too much, my clothes fit a lot better, but considering I have a good 30 lbs I really need to take off, I'm wondering if I should be changing my routine.
Any advice?
nickilaughs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #2  

What about some resistance bands exercises? I couldn't believe how much I felt my muscles the next day. I thought it had to be regular weights to get an impact.

Have you looked at any core exercises on demand or youtube? Those are especially important to keep our back/abs strong and supportive.

I'm sure you get a lot of steps in being a nurse and on your feet all day. Maybe change up the cardio that you do 4x a week if it's walking/running?

I've been stalled out before, I know the frustration.
TheLastStraw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:49 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Nice work. I would keep with the weight training. It is hard to bulk up as a lady because you don't have the hormones us guys do. So you will most likely get nicely toned.

I would try a few things.

First, on the diet try to eat more protein and less carbs and (controversial on this forum) less fat, except good fats like omega 3s (fish, nuts etc.). The protein will really help with the muscle toning and you might get some fat loss too.

Secondly, are you keeping your cardio sessions separate from the weight training ones? Time and time again I see people going to the gym, doing weights, doing a run, doing this and doing that. In my experience, all that does is tire you out so you never get to focus on anything. Keep your cardio sessions separate from weights. That way, you can really push yourself at the cardio and at the weights. For example, I will often run before breakfast and do weights before lunch. If I had less time, I would do cardio one day and weights the next. But keep them separate and work right up to your limits.

Lifting weights straight after a run is not going to be effective....and if it is, ya just not running fast/far enough!

Thirdly, get your big lifts in that really warm you up and use a lot of muscles. You mentioned squats. You can't do lunges...OK. But also try deadlifts, bench presses and military presses. I make them part of all my weight routines.

Last edited by IanG; 02-10-2015 at 09:02 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #4  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

2hrs of cardio a week and working means 16/1700 calories a day is not enough.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:18 PM   #5  

My only carb intake is pretty much vegetables. I cut out bread and pasta already. I'm scared to try a dead lift/military presses without someone teaching me how. The men (no offense) dominate that part of the gym and I get self conscious in their area. Im trying to save up for a training session where someone can teach me proper form on weights.
The reason I do cardio and weights same day is because i only have time to go to gym one a day, so i try to make those 4 trips a week worth it. I do high intensity intervals for 20 to 30 minutes. Then two days do arms/core after cool down and legs/ squats etc the other two. So should i just do cardio two days a week and weights the other two? Doesn't seem like it would be enough. As a working mom itd be hard to commit to more than 4 days.
Thanks guys for the responses. With 30 lbs to lose I was hoping to be there by october, but now I'm wondering if ill even hit it by xmas.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:02 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimmingsi View Post
2hrs of cardio a week and working means 16/1700 calories a day is not enough.
I did several calorie calculators and all said somewhere between 1600 and 1800 calories a day in order to lose weight. If I wanted to maintain it said between 2200 and 2400. The reason I aim for these calories is because I likely am not exactly perfect in calorie counting and figure I'm usually missing something, so I aim for 1600 to 1700 in the hopes of doing no more than 1800. If that makes sense.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

Quote:
So should i just do cardio two days a week and weights the other two?
Try it and see how it goes for a week or two. Experiment a little. It's not a marriage. If it doesn't work, go back.

Increase your cardio on cardio days (at least 30 minutes, 60 minutes max) and lengthen your weights session on weights days (at least 45 minutes, 60 minutes max). Tire yourself out.

I cannot imagine lifting weights to my max after an intense cardio session. Or doing an intense cardio session to my fullest in the knowledge "oh great, I have to do weights next".

PS You will also get to really like weights days this way.

Last edited by IanG; 02-11-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:28 AM   #8  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
I did several calorie calculators and all said somewhere between 1600 and 1800 calories a day in order to lose weight. If I wanted to maintain it said between 2200 and 2400. The reason I aim for these calories is because I likely am not exactly perfect in calorie counting and figure I'm usually missing something, so I aim for 1600 to 1700 in the hopes of doing no more than 1800. If that makes sense.
it is not enough. the bare minimum is 16/1700 IF you were sedentary. as you are not then it is too low. As for your diet are you in ketosis? if so then you need to factor in unused calories.

Ketones are incompletely burnt fats. 1g of fat = 9 calories as a ketone is an incomplete burn meaning you don't get the full 9 calories. so you might be eating 1800 and getting much less.

The simple test is to up you calorie intake to 2200 as you said it means for maintenance (again sedentary person) for around 2 weeks and see what happens. if you can get to a decent book store I recommend you read mcardle, physiology. or get onto google scholar and read some genuine scientific studies.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:25 AM   #9  

[QUOTE=slimmingsi;5131046]it is not enough. the bare minimum is 16/1700 IF you were sedentary. as you are not then it is too low. As for your diet are you in ketosis? if so then you need to factor in unused calories.

Ketones are incompletely burnt fats. 1g of fat = 9 calories as a ketone is an incomplete burn meaning you don't get the full 9 calories. so you might be eating 1800 and getting much less.

The simple test is to up you calorie intake to 2200 as you said it means for maintenance (again sedentary person) for around 2 weeks and see what happens. if you can get to a decent book ...."

I'm not going to pretend I'm a food expert. Physiology was my weak spot in school but I'll definitely try to read up. I've gone on a similar calorie restriction in the past and it was effective. However, this time it is not seemingly.

I'm not sure what "ketosis" is. I wasn't aiming for a special diet. I'm no good at following set rules, I'll break them just to do it. I guess most would view it as low carb, I eat mostly protein and vegetables, occasional flax bread. There's too much diabetes in my family so I try to avoid the carbs because I won't stop eating them and I really want to avoid that diagnosis if I can.

Eating protein and vegetables makes it harder to come up with the calories as well. I realized after my 12 hour shifts I was under a thousand calories for the day so ate some more when I got home to put me closer to 1600.

Thanks for the tips to all! I will try these changes, doing weights less often, honing in on cardio, and adding more calories and report back.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 229/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Nickilaughs,

I am not an expert with much knowledge on food intake or on workouts. I too have doubts on total calorie intake for a day. But for my height (5'6"), on various websites I got the info that for 'Sedentary' (office goer) type of work, and for my weight (202 lbs), I would lose weight eating 1400- 1600 Calories a day... So I've been following that for the past 1 month. In the very beginning (the 1st week) I lost 2 lbs when I was doing strength training exercises. So the very first week I lost 2 lbs and then the next 2 weeks nothing... no matter how much I tried. With food intake being a standard 1400 Calories a day, I started doing cardio for 1 hr each day and in the past 1 week I lost 1.5 lbs. So to me, it seems like 1400 Calories works. But I have to wait further and see the results as I think saying anything out of my 1 week cardio experience is not correct. But I thought I will let you know.

Last edited by BigNomore71; 02-12-2015 at 07:15 PM.
BigNomore71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #11  
Trying to be in the 160s

I would not increase your calorie intake if you are happy where you are. Just my 2 cents.

Eating more calories has never aided my weight loss. Has it added more fat? Sometimes. Has it added more muscle? Yep. But weight loss? Nah.

Last edited by IanG; 02-12-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:05 PM   #12  

Yeah I was just wondering why the weight loss stall, I appear to be dropping again today though. I'm thinking the two birthday parties I went to last weekend were more detrimental then I thought. :/ Beer, my best and worst friend.
Old 02-13-2015, 07:22 PM   #13  
Trying to be in the 160s

Don't get me started on alcohol. It has never affected my weightloss even when I have given up for months at a time. I think it is because I don't make bad food choices when I drink it.

But for 99% of people, this does not seem to apply.

I guess I am just lucky. So I drink on.
Old 02-14-2015, 04:16 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Don't get me started on alcohol. It has never affected my weightloss even when I have given up for months at a time. I think it is because I don't make bad food choices when I drink it.

But for 99% of people, this does not seem to apply.

I guess I am just lucky. So I drink on.
Oh I didn't eat bad, but I did have three beers.... And I still don't regret them.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30 PM   #15  

Hey Nicki, I am totally late to the party - but how are things going? I'm curious, do you keep track of measurements in addition to the scale? Sometimes when you're doing weights and cardio, your weight will stay the same but your muscle/fat ratio is still changing.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote