Old 03-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 212/200/125

Default Looking for fellow LDS members!

Any LDS members out there? I'm new here and I'm trying to connect with people with similar challenges. I find being LDS, especially a YSA presents it's own special challenges when it comes to losing weight, for example, the fact that there are donuts everywhere! FHE? Donuts. Ward basketball? Donuts. Linger Longer? Donuts. Crashing the new member dinner at the bishop's house? Donuts. Home teachers? Donuts (mine seriously bring donuts. It's irritating).
Anyway, forgive my rant. If you are LDS and share similar challenges, friend me, or add me, or buddy me, or whatever it's called on this website.
Love and peace.
kellzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:25 PM   #2  

Hi Kellzy! I'm LDS too!

I agree, being LDS is almost synonymous with food! :-)
Kaitie9399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/230/150

Height: 5'5

I'm also LDS! You know those funeral potatoes are probably not fat-free

I completely understand what you are saying. My motivation for weight-loss is actually directly linked to the church, so you guys might be the only ones on here that understand. I decided to serve a mission, and just found out on Sunday that the church has returned my papers and required me to lose 30 pounds before I can go on a mission. My heart is broken, but i am as determined as ever to serve the lord and I know that he would never give me anything I couldn't do! So any kind words and motivation would be great!

Love finding fellow members Good luck ladies!

Last edited by mellowmelon; 04-12-2013 at 01:58 AM.
mellowmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 193/178/130

Height: 5'4''

Hello,

I'm also LDS and just joined this site last week. Mellow melon, my husband also had to lose 30 pounds before he could go on his mission. He lost 30, went to the MTC, lost 30 more there, then went to the Dominican Republic where he walked about 10 miles every day and lost 80 more pounds! He came home a skinny little man....lol I was skinny too then. Unfortunately, he and I have both gained a bit too much weight and now we are trying hard to get back in shape. Good luck to everyone here. I hope to see a lot more posts in this group!
alimarie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #5  

How is everyone doing here! Hope your Sabbath Day was great! I don't know if you guys have seen the Mormon Message Video- Mountains To Climb, but I know that when I get down and in the dumps I watch it and it instantly gives me hope. If you haven't checked it out, please do!

P.S. alimarie5, I am glad to know I am not the only one haha I know that with the Lord's help I can do anything, and that he would never ask of me something I cannot do. That gives me faith that everything will be ok in the end. Thank you for your kind words!
Old 04-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #6  

I'll never understand why they are called funeral potatoes. Is that a church thing?

Mellowmelon: 30 pounds is nothing! You can get it all off in four months---that means you'd leave around September or October. You can totally do this. Missions, as wonderful as they are, are also taxing on your body. The Lord is looking out for you, He wants to make sure that you are as safe and as healthy as possible before you leave to serve so that once you get there nothing gets in your way.

So! My advice is to make a plan. Plan out how you are going to keep track of your calories (this way you know exactly how much you can eat)? I use a site called fitday but I know most people use myfitnesspal.com. Next, since you're planning on going on a mission, maybe you can tie your exercise routines to scripture study or journal writing. Maybe, get up in the morning and read your scriptures and then do 30-60 minutes of exercise.

You can totally do this! :-)

Last edited by Kaitie9399; 04-17-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 196/171/140

Height: 5'6"

Default me too!

I'm also LDS and have looked all over online for an LDS weight loss support group and haven't found one. So glad to see others here! The LDS culture of food, food, food at every activity is a tough one! I almost feel guilty for refusing a refreshment at an activity or meeting. But I've decided that it's more important to me to get well and continue losing weight than give in to ease my conscience!

I think it's interesting also, that with the W of W, that tells us to eat meat sparingly, eat fruits and grains that we have so much junk at church activities, ha ha! It's nice to have an LDS support group that understands the culture!
angelareads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #8  

angelareads!
Old 05-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247/247/135

Height: 5'3''

Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the 3FC board and I'm glad that there are people here that can understand what I have to go through with all these RS activities. Friday is a Sunday Social with all the toppings and also game night. I most likely won't go :-( Because I have no willpower. Btw I am a convert(20yrs now) and married for 32 yrs to a very supportive non-member. Sandy in NJ
Sandyc1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:41 PM   #10  

Sandy!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 224/214/140

Hope this will help me get in gear.
healthygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:15 AM   #12  

As you can see, we're not a super chatty bunch on this thread....but I tend to hang out in the 'On Plan' thread if you'd like to stop on by.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #13  

Hello Beatiful Ladies!!

Well I have been busy busy getting ready for my mission, but I just wanted to updat you guys! I have been called to serve in the Maryland Baltimore Mission!! I leave August 14th. As of yesterday, I have lost 18 pounds!! So I have about a month to lose 10 more! (I want to have lost all of my needed weight before August 1st ) I am trying to stay motivated, so I decided to check up on here! Thank you for your support and prayers! I appreciate you all and hope you are doing well!! This gospel is true! Hope you have a great day!!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:46 PM   #14  

Congrats on your mission call and the weight loss!!

I'm so excited for you to come to the east coast!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #15  

We are very quiet on this thread.