Old 10-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #76  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I have a 64 page book on vinegar that I'll share here now and then, that is if I remember. Maybe I'll not delete the email notice so I won't forget.
Fruits and Vegetables
When cooking fruit on the stovetop, add a spoonful of vinegar to improve flavor.
When making mashed potatoes, add 1 tablespoon vinegar once you've used enough milk. This will help keep potatoes white. Whip them to desired consistency.
In a tomato sauce or a tomato-base soup, add 1 or 2 tablespoons vinegar just before completing the cooking process. Flavors will be enhanced.
Meat
Add zip to a pound of hamburger by adding garlic wine vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon mustard. Work these ingredients into meat before making into patties.
Improve the flavor of boiled ham by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to cooking water.
The acid content and tangy flavor of vinegar makes it an excellent ingredient in a marinade for meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables. Vinegar can also tenderize tough cuts of meat.
More to come!
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 PM   #77  

always keep vegitables in newspaper wrap.they will stay fresh longer.
sak133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 AM   #78  
Jonah

S/C/G: 440/Ticker/220

Height: 5" 11

Anybody want to restart this?

When cooking rice,
Use a 1cup rice : 1/2 cup water ratio.

Add a bit of salt to the rice and cook the rice with a lid covering it.
As soon as the rice gets to a boil, simply turn the heat to off or very low on your stove top. after about 15 minutes, the rice should come out fluffy and just right.

(note: this for white rice, brown rice takes longer and may have a different water ratio)
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:02 PM   #79  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

wow, it's been a couple of years. I'd like to share more tips. I have since slipped into frugal mode and would like some frugal tips. One I use all the time is keeping the heavy plastic liners from cereal boxes until it's time to freeze garden produce. They are the perfect size, just squeeze the air out, roll up the top and staple it. Then in the freezer it goes.
Bobbolink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 AM   #80  

I love your ideas!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinitblue View Post
I love to cook so finding healthy alternatives to help my weight loss journey has been alot of fun. First things first for me, after grocery shopping I wash all my produce and prep it out for consumption. I just bought a salad spinner and I love it for prepping veggies. It makes sure that all the excess water is off so that they don't spoil. I've spent some money and bought Tupperware Fridgesmart containers for my veggies. They are designed to keep food longer and boy do they ever!!!

I bought a nice fruit bowl and keep it well stocked with fruits ready to eat. Making it easier for me to grab fruit instead of something else.

I've completely stopped shopping the inner rows in the grocery store. I don't buy pre-made food anymore, I pre-make them myself. I save all my veggie ends in a bag in the freezer and whenever I cook a chicken I throw the broth, bones and my bag of veggies in a stock pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours. Then I strain it and pour it into muffin tins and freeze it. When it's frozen it goes into a huge freezer bag and I have portion controlled chicken broth (1/2 cups) to use in recipes. You could skip the chicken and use water and veggies to make vegetable broth or add fish to make fish broth. I find that chicken is the one I use the most. Then I know that there are No preservatives in it and no added sodium etc.
When I make pasta sauce I bake whole tomatoes in the oven till they are soft (cut a cross in the top) and then add them into my food processor and chop. Then I add them, one muffin sized broth, garlic, couple of dried chili pepper flakes, and assorted veggies to make a quick, healthy pasta sauce.

I could not live without my BBQ, Chef knives, good sautee pan, good stock pot, and bread maker. Love them all!

Hope this was helpful!

Wanda
kioki03 is offline   Reply With Quote