Old 02-01-2004, 07:40 AM   #1  

Default LCFS week of 2/1

Hi everyone,
Well, I took the plunge and decided to get high speed internet. It's going to cost a lot more, but we will have our phone line back and that in itself will be worth it. So many times people try to get reach us and say that the phone is busy (it's me on the computer). I was feeling guilty about even being on here and I know if some important phone call comes and we missed it because of me, I'd really feel bad. Besides, I keep getting kicked off the internet and that is really frustrating when I've written an email and then lose it.

Anne, how are you doing? How did your meeting go with the school? Hope your feeling better today.

Sha, how are you getting along? What is the difference between your woe and Atkins? I don't know very much about yours.

Aleka, we are just starting to get some new snow, the storm is suppose to dump a foot here. Hope it's snowed out by the time it gets to you.

Lynn, is your computer up and running? Did that information I copied and pasted help any?

I guess I better go exercise. I was sort of putting it off this morning, cause I feel tired. Stripe the cat woke me at 430am wanting his breakfast and he doesn't take no for an answer. I throw him off me and he gets back on even quicker than the last time, like it's a game. He stands on my chest and meows in my face til I get up.

Take care, Nikki
Old 02-01-2004, 08:36 AM   #2  

Good Morning Everyone:

Nikki, you'll love the high speed. I'm with Sympatico, who is your
provider?

Question: Have any of you gals tried alloette skin care?

The meeting went fine. It was Seans annual review. He is having problems
with a couple of kids in the class. It seems the buzz word these days is
"gay" My son is constantly being upset by a couple of bullies calling him
that word. The teacher claims all the kids call each other that and Sean
shouldn't let it bother him. I remember how it was in grade 8 though. I
too always hated to be called names etc. Lets face it folks, kids are
mean. I told Sean treat these kids the way you would treat a dog that
was barking at you. Ignore

When I went grocery shopping yesterday I came across low carb bread for
the very first time. 7 carbos per slice. Wow. I had eggs and 1 piece of
toast this morning. What a treat!

I am not looking forward to Monday. I was talking to my friend Dalia from
work. Dalia takes care of my son David on Saturdays to give my husband
and I a break. She told me is going to put Tanya in a tiny office
with no phone, no computer because she doesn't even want to see her
face. I just don't know what to make of all this nonsense She
obviously is trying to push this young girl to quit. Apparantly she is coming
back on Monday. Not a nice situation

Hi Aleka, how are you doing? Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Lynn, have you seen the low carbo bread? I think we may be on the verge
of seeing some low carb products on this side of the border

Have a great day.
Anne.
Old 02-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #3  

Angry

Good morning,

We went down to Massachusetts yesterday to visit our friends. He is doing very well with his ankle. Thankfully we decided to take DH's truck because after we had gotten home, DH noticed that my car had a flat tire. I know I didn't drive home on Thurs. on a flat tire. He pumped air into the tire last night, but when he checked it this morning it was flat again. He tried to fix the flat this morning, but you need a special tool to take off the wheel, that should've been in the tool kit that came with the car...it wasn't and he can't find that handy-dandy tool anywhere in the car. We recently had the car in for service and they rotated the tires. Evidently they didn't put that tool back where it belongs. So, he'll call the dealership tomorrow and hopefully they'll either send someone out or pick up the car and do whatever they have to do in the service dept. I'm meeting a cousin for lunch later today. DH will have to drop me off. I will not drive his truck...it's way too big for me.

nikki, you're going to love high speed internet service. We have it from our cable company and it would be hard to go back to dial up. We have McAfee for our security and we signed up for automatic updates. Sometimes DH has to do the updates, but mostly it's done automatically. Will you be watching the Super Bowl today? Since the New England Patriots will be playing, DH & I will be watching it.

ANNE, kids seem to be more cruel today than they were when we were in school. I hope that your son can ignore them and not let it bother him. Maybe one day Sean will be the boss of one of those name calling kids. I feel so sorry for Tanya. That is a terrible thing the is doing to her. Is Tanya really all that bad to work with, or is just out to get her.
That's great you have found some low carb bread. I usually toast 2 slices of low carb bread for breakfast and spread some ricotta cheese on them. It is very filling.

lynn and Sha, hope you're having a good weekend.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Aleka
Old 02-01-2004, 10:37 AM   #4  

Hi,
That's funny. I just made myself a piece of toast and was sitting here, thinking how great it is to be able to eat toast again and then you posted that. I really like this bread, it's made from sprouted grains and has no enriched flour in it.
Anne, my high speed will be from our local phone company. I haven't tried alloette, right now, I'm using Avon's Anew line and I like it, but the next time I need some more skin care, I'm going to try Reclaim. I've heard some good things about it and one of our shopping channels has a good deal on it, making it actually less expensive than the Anew line. I heard about it on one of the boards, I really did quit watching those channels.
I hate when kids are like that. I do think that kids are meaner now than when we were kids, but they were mean then too. Now, they seem to have less restraint is all and a lot of them have no respect for anything. I was made fun of when I was in school too. I bet most people were and if not, they must have been under a lot of pressure to be the most popular, or whatever they were. I've noticed that when bullies find your weak spot or what makes you mad, they then tend to pick on you more about that. If you act like it doesn't bother you, they move on to something else. If they find out they can't get you upset, they move on to someone else.
I thought it was now cool to be gay, judging from all the tv shows. Those Queer Eye guys are hilarious and I get a kick out of watching them. DH can't stand them, so I watch them alone.
I read on another BB this morning that the US has passed a law prohibiting Canadian's from sending store bought goods (like food) to people in the US. It is something to do about terroism. But, you can still send us home made goods. I had no idea that you guys had weapons of mass destruction in your grocery stores Have any of you heard of this? Can't imagine why they would think you could buy something in your stores that would be used for terroism. Well, like I said, I'm not even sure if it's really true. If you hear about it, let me know. Not that I have anyone sending me anything, but it's just one more thing that makes me wonder what is this world coming to.
Aleka, I have a tire that keeps going flat too. I'm sure glad we put off that trip now. I went all over town yesterday, looking for a place that had an air pump that works. DH has one, but he was asleep and he has to put air in the compressor to use it. I'll have to take it to the tire place on Monday and get it fixed. I'm always getting nails in my tires for some reason.
Nikki
Old 02-01-2004, 04:43 PM   #5  

Hi Everyone: It is just an incrediable day here. Friday night and Saturday we had over 18 inches of snow, the most so far. We still went to Barrie to meet my step-father to drop off the dog and 5 minutes out of town no snow infact no snow all the way but we could see the snow clouds on our way back and sure enough snow here. If we get the storm you are talking about we will have to do the roof again. The good part of having snow here is everyone knows how to drive in it. In Toronto as Anne knows a couple of inches and it is **** to get around the city. Before I forget Anne were did you get the bread and what is it's name? Nikki info you sent me was very helpful. Apparently my norton is updated automatically. I guess my brother set it up. I will ask him how he did it (if he remembers). Nikki can you tell me were to go to learn to cut and paste? I went into microsoft but can't seem to find it. I would love to learn to do it. I wish I could get high speed but until I can get high speed at the trailer it is impossible. I have Sympatico and I have never been bumped off the internet like you were. Coco woke me up at 5:30 today to go out, I am a tad tired today as I was up late reading last night. Hope you are all having a great weekend. Talk to you all soon
Old 02-01-2004, 05:20 PM   #6  

Lynn, I just learned how to copy and paste myself, not too long ago. It's incredibly easy. You take your mouse and put the pointer on whatever you want to copy, starting at the beginning of the paragraph or whatever it is. Left click and keep holding it down after you click. Now, using the little wheel on the center of the mouse, between the two clickers, use that wheel to scroll down to where you want to stop copying. Let up on the clicker and the place you have clicked on should be highlighted in blue. Take your pointed and point to the blue area and right click with the mouse. A window will pop up and it will give you a few options. Left click on copy. This will save it until you want to paste it somewhere. When you get to where ever you want to paste it, point to where you want it and again, left click. A window comes up and one of the options is paste. Click on paste and there it is. You can only copy and paste one thing at a time, as far as I can tell.
I'll have to look at my Norton stuff and try to figure out how to get those updates automatically. That would be much easier and I wouldn't have to worry about it anymore, thanks, NIkki
Old 02-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #7  
Sha

Hi everyone, hope your having a great weekend.
Nikki.. My diet is I eat very low carb 2 meals a day, then I get what they call a reward meal. I can eat most anything, as long as I eat 1/3 low carb. So I have cake or whatever that meal. I can't beleive I have been eating that way for 2 weeks tomarrow. I can't wait to weigh in tomarrow. but I know I am down more. Lost 6 pounds the first week. Thanks for asking. I just want to say thanks Nikki for always being so supportive.

Anne D... I am so sorry about your son. I know one of my kids had the worst time with bully's. You just feel so helpless. Be proud your child is not a bully. and that as they grow up and get out of school the good kids make something of them selfs.. I will be praying for him..

Aleka.. HI back. You are so sweet to say hi.. I look so farward to hearing from everyone.

It has been a wonderful weekend. Snowing but I am on cloud nine so I don't care. ha ha...
Old 02-01-2004, 05:55 PM   #8  

Hi Everyone:
Lynn, the bread is called Dempster's carb wise. It comes in wheat and
white. It costs 2.99 per loaf but worth it, I loved it. I found it in
Dominion. My brother lives in Barrie but he is thrilled, he just sold his
house. He is anxious to get out of the snow belt. Lynn, it has been
disgusting getting around down town.

Sha you are right, bullies are the worst. Sean has had a hard time since
he was a baby. He is the twin brother to my handicapped son David.
David never did develop speech and Sean was speech delayed. Sean now
works and speaks at grade level. He amazed all of us. It is painful to see
this young boy harrassed like this believe me. Thank you for your prayers.

Nikki, I think the kids try to hit you where it hurts. No boy wants to be
called gay when they are straight. It hurts. I have not heard anything
about the shipping of food across the border. I don't blame your government
though. I wish my government would smarten up with some of its policies.

Aleka, I feel sorry for Tanya too. I am so embarassed for her. No one should
have to take that kind of treatment. I think it is time for Sylvia to
look for a new job. The ricotta cheese on toast sounds like a great meal
I'm going to give it a try!!!

Talk to you guys Monday.
Anne.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:40 PM   #9  

Anne,
Your right of course. I wasn't thinking and I'm sorry about that. I sure didn't mean anything by that. It is hard for boys especially when they are feeling like their masculinity is being made fun of. It is difficult for all teens as they are going through so many changes and feel so insecure about everything anyway.
You must be especially proud of him as I know your very proud of all your boys.
Sometimes I ramble on and just say whatever pops into my head without thinking it through. Nikki
Old 02-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #10  

Angry

Hello everyone,

Sha, you have every reason to be on cloud nine. Have they done anymore tests on your DH to find out the cause of his problem? How much snow did you get? We're supposed to get snow sometime tomorrow into Wed. morning. I'm glad that you like the plan you're doing. I like the idea of a reward meal every day. How did your weigh in go today?

ANNE, hope things will go well for you at work today. I think you're right that it's time started looking for a new job. Has she ever again mentioned those job interviews she had?

nikki, I hadn't read or heard anything about Canadians not being able to send us store bought goods. I would think sending home made goods would be more dangerous than store bought goods, anyone can put some lethal weapon in a home made cake or brownies You have read a lot about low carbing. Which way is better to count carbs, counting the whole carbs, or net carbs? I made Atkins Cranberry Orange muffin mix yesterday, only I made it in a loaf pan. It was delicious. Even DH liked it. I will definitely get another muffin mix flavor when I go grocery shopping this week.

lynn, are you snowbound? 18" of snow is a lot of snow. Glad you were able to meet your stepdad to give him back his dog. Sometimes Lacee gets me up around 2:00 am to be let out and I have a tough time getting back to sleep.

Take care and have a great day.
Aleka
Old 02-02-2004, 08:06 AM   #11  

Goodmorning Everyone: A nice clear beautiful day. Hve you got a storm Nikki. Thanks Anne I will look for that bread. Today I am going to Collingwood to get my hair done and they have a huge Dominion and Loblaws. My heart goes out to your son. I was lucky with my kids they never went though that kind of harassment but I grew up a minister's daughter in small towns in Ontario & Saskatchewan so I know all about the cruelty of kids. Hopefully the bullies will soon get bored and move on. Thanks Nikki I don't have a mouse but I think I know what to do. When I was looking yesterday on microsoft's site ther was a article on people not using the right clicker enough and I am definately one of them. When I finish here I will go and try to do it. I Have a story on bullies. My daughters best friend Sarah was bullied in school. She is tall (6 foot) a very stunning girl. In collage they met another girl and they have been very close. This other friend (Jan) meets a boy at a party and they become a item. He went to school with Sarah and Jena and yep it is the bully. Anyway when Sarah got married 2 years ago Jan and Jena are in the wedding. Sarah invited Jan's boyfriend but he was to imbarassed to come. Still a coward! because that is what a bully is. Enough said. Did anybody watch Survivor last night? Well off I go for my hair appointment talk later
Old 02-02-2004, 08:08 AM   #12  

Morning everyone,

Sha, your a sweetie and I'm glad things are going well for you and your DH. I like the fact that you can lose weight doing what your doing. Do you mind my asking your age? I've hit that time in my life when I seem to be having a metobolic slow down related to peri- menopause. I'm 46, if I haven't mentioned it before. I've also read on other boards that a person should eat more carbs when they hit a plateau. I have read about your program, but not read the book yet, so I'll have to do that.

Anne, I to hope things go better today at work for you. Does your want to have lunch on a regular basis?

Lynn, have you tried to copy and paste yet? There is one other thing I forgot to mention. When you highlight something in blue and then left click on it, one of the options in that box that pops up is print. If you click on print, another box opens in the left side of your screen. Click the little circle by selection there and press print. This will print only that part of the page that you've highlighted. This is great for printing off recipies. That way, you only get the recipe and don't use up so much ink.

Aleka, I subtract the fiber and only count net carbs. I have read from several places besides Atkins that you can't absorb fiber, it just passes through you like eating paper would. It has no impact on your blood sugar and you can't digest it. On the other hand, sugar alcohols are not suppose to impact blood sugar, but I keep seeing everyone say how eating those bars makes them gain weight or stall. And they make me gain or stall too. So, some places say to subtract just half the sugar alcohols and Atkins says you can subtract them all. Personally, I don't subtract them at all. I think you can metabolism them and they are affecting peoples systems.
The muffin mix I like the best is the Banana Nut. Try it some time, it's great.
As far as that law about banning store bought goods from Canadian people. I haven't seen it on the news yet either. If it's true, I'm wondering who was really lobbying for this law and what the ulterior motive was. I do think that some crooked people take advantage of anything and this doesn't seem right. Like you said, homemade goods would be much more suspect to me.
I have seen on the news that they are trying to pass laws now that will monitor actions by everyone (even little people like us) in the nation, such as what we say over the internet, what books we check out from the library and keep track of it. This sounds really expensive for one thing and it also makes me wonder what will be next.
As far as the snow goes, it's coming down and has off and on since yesterday. Not too bad yet here.
I better get myself going, have to do some house cleaning, take care, Nikki
Old 02-02-2004, 08:11 AM   #13  

Lynn, we posted at the same time. If you don't have a mouse, do you have a mouse pad to move your pointer? How do you do that?
Old 02-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #14  

I know know we were. We all do that a lot. I have a pad that works as a mouse so I will figure it out later Thanks again and I will be back this afternoon.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:39 AM   #15  
Sha

Good morning everyone... Just letting you all know. I am down 4 more pounds..

Nikkic... I am 44, and I can't believe how much my body has changed over the past few years. I went from Dry Skin to oily, from 133 pounds to 175.. Not good.

Aleka.. I am down 10 pounds over the last two weeks. I am so excited.. and I do love my reward meal,. It is not that I always go over board with it, it is just for me knowing all I have to do is wait no more than 24 hours to have what I am graving.. It also works great for me with my life. We eat out a lot, for my husbands business. This way I just save that meal for going out. Not sure if I told you, one rule to the reward meal is you have to eat what your going to in one hour. Something about insulin... Will let you know how it works over the next 2 weeks..