Old 03-06-2015, 07:55 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/171/125

Height: 5ft

Default Just started Ideal Protein

Hi everyone!

I just started Ideal Protein and so far it is really challenging! I am the type of person that need immediate results and I know that's not going to happen. I want to lose about 50-60 pounds, my current weight is 181.

I am having problems with the food choices, I'm not the biggest fan of veggies so cooking them to a palatable state is tough for me. I have not cheated and I am fully committed to not cheating.

Can anyone tell me when they started noticing result? Does anyone have any awesome tips or tricks?

Thank you so much, I have seen such inspiring stories on here! Wow, so much of ya'll have a lot to be proud about!
corileahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 09:03 AM   #2  

I did it a couple of years back, to great success. The very beginning is quite challenging, you're right, but once you get through the first week or two, it's like your body fully switches over and it's a matter of being patient. The carb cravings almost completely went away for me. I lost a good deal in the first two weeks two, and then consistently between 1-3 lbs per week. My coach had me do the carb ups a few times, but I lost 60 pounds in seven months. Which might not seem like a lot, but I'm very petite, I was starting at 162 and ended up at 102. I didn't cheat at all, unless you count those higher carb days my coach prescribed as "cheating."

Just hang in there, keep yourself honest, and it will work!
MichelleAntonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 AM   #3  
Reboot 11 June 2018

S/C/G: 262.8/226.0/160

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corileahs View Post
I am having problems with the food choices, I'm not the biggest fan of veggies so cooking them to a palatable state is tough for me. I have not cheated and I am fully committed to not cheating.

Can anyone tell me when they started noticing result? Does anyone have any awesome tips or tricks?
Tips or tricks - this is not the kind of diet that needs them. If you follow the plan you will lose weight naturally. The simple fact is that you need to eat everything you are allowed to, do not think you will help weight loss by leaving veggies, healthy fats (the 2 tsp oil) or packets out. Your body is too smart to fall for that trick, and IP is a very well balanced diet program. Trust it, it will work.

On the veggie list you can look at some pseudo fruits that are classed as veggies. Try some jicama slices (it's kind of like a cross between a pear/apple when raw) - can be baked into fries or some IP pancake syrup with it in a pan for some "stewed apples" type dessert. Don't forget rhubarb. Add to some of the IP jelly for another sweet type meal rather than the classic veggies. Chayote is a squash, but also doubles as a great fruit. Can cook up with some stevia and sugar/carb free syrup (Torani, IP, Walden Farms) and top with some of the oatmeal to make a crumbly top with some spices.

Take a look at the list - try something new. Or simply slice some bell peppers up with the free celery and use a WF dressing for dipping.

There are lots of ways to approach vegetables. They don't all have to be cooked and "mushy" in texture.

Try not to look at IP as just a weight loss program. If you are impatient with the scales, you will miss watching the inches melt away. Use your tape measure as often as you weigh and it'll keep you focused on weeks when the scale dial barely moves.

Good luck.
Briael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #4  
Taking it day by day!

S/C/G: 185/176/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Try not to look at IP as just a weight loss program. If you are impatient with the scales, you will miss watching the inches melt away. Use your tape measure as often as you weigh and it'll keep you focused on weeks when the scale dial barely moves.
Hi Corileahs & Briael -

My name is Karen and I am re-starting IP as of last Wednesday. I just wanted to say that Briael's advice rings so true. The first time I was on IP, I relished in the fast results in losing the lbs' and didn't pay attention to learning a new way of eating, controlling my food intake and unfortunately, I did not properly phase off. This time, I vow not to be impatient as well as, walk through each phase properly. I don't mind how long this takes as I have realized that I need a strict menu in order to understand both how to lose and how to maintain. I am looking forward to re-learning how to eat and how to add creativity and exploring new recipes as not to get hung up in eating the same thing day in and day out. Cheers to not being bored on the plan and for focusing and taking things hour to hour and day to day.

Last edited by KareVT; 03-08-2015 at 10:35 AM.
KareVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 PM   #5  
Emporium owner

S/C/G: 265/179/160

I was never a fan of veggies as such, I didn't mind a portobello sandwitch or a roasted tomato etc. but I wouldn't just eat them by choice. Since 4 cups is part of the protocol for IP I just eat them raw and don't put any effort into it. For 7 months now that has worked for me, baby spinach leaves, cucumber, kale, mushrooms, etc. I just get it over with. It has actually underscored the eat to live rather than live to eat.

Last edited by Ted Sheckler; 03-08-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Ted Sheckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briael View Post
Tips or tricks - this is not the kind of diet that needs them. If you follow the plan you will lose weight naturally. The simple fact is that you need to eat everything you are allowed to, do not think you will help weight loss by leaving veggies, healthy fats (the 2 tsp oil) or packets out. Your body is too smart to fall for that trick, and IP is a very well balanced diet program. Trust it, it will work.

On the veggie list you can look at some pseudo fruits that are classed as veggies. Try some jicama slices (it's kind of like a cross between a pear/apple when raw) - can be baked into fries or some IP pancake syrup with it in a pan for some "stewed apples" type dessert. Don't forget rhubarb. Add to some of the IP jelly for another sweet type meal rather than the classic veggies. Chayote is a squash, but also doubles as a great fruit. Can cook up with some stevia and sugar/carb free syrup (Torani, IP, Walden Farms) and top with some of the oatmeal to make a crumbly top with some spices.

Take a look at the list - try something new. Or simply slice some bell peppers up with the free celery and use a WF dressing for dipping.

There are lots of ways to approach vegetables. They don't all have to be cooked and "mushy" in texture.

Good luck.
Briael has some great ideas - also it is easy to take 2C of spinach and blend it into a pre-made shake or chocolate/ vanilla ip drink mix. Spinach is very mild.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200.4/175/155

Height: 5'5"

I am back on IP for the 2nd time as well. I also lost a lot (55lbs in less than 5 months) and actually enjoyed the plan. After a brief vacation, I found it hard to get back on plan and binged over the next year I didnt phase off correctly and therefore didnt learn how to eat healthy. Like other posters stated, look at the lbs, and inches and also learning how to eat when you are done IP. Good Luck!
cproko27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:23 AM   #8  

Thanks everyone,

I guess I just got over a hurdle because all of the sudden this became easy and dare I say I'm starting to actually like this program. I have found using certain spices ( the ones I can have ) have really helped. Seems like the first week is a trial and error period, headaches are gone and I'm actually looking forward to my veggies...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #9  
determined

S/C/G: 302.4/202.4/166

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I just started Ideal Protein and so far it is really challenging! I am the type of person that need immediate results and I know that's not going to happen. I want to lose about 50-60 pounds, my current weight is 181.

Thank you so much, I have seen such inspiring stories on here! Wow, so much of ya'll have a lot to be proud about!
Congrats on taking that first step to a healthier life! This is my 47th day on IP. I haven't cheated. I don't feel like I'm "missing out" on any of my favs because I have found some wonderful new ways to cook old favorites and also I've discovered some surprising new favorites (who knew chayote would make the best hashbrowns or that zuchini would be the answer to my pasta cravings?!!).
AFA results go, I'm down right at 35 lbs. I haven't truly kept up with my inches but it's safe to safe that there is quite a bit less of me now than there was just a few weeks ago; I was in 24W jeans and 5x tops. I can wear 18W jeans now and my 2XL tee shirts are feeling almost loose!
Tips:
1)look into Rainbow's recipes; I guarantee you will be inspired.
2)If you have a smart phone get the "water your body" app to help you remember to get all of the water in you need.
3)Constipation can be a problem so get some Smooth Move tea and be ready.
4) Taking the supplements is vital. You might want to add biotin, as well. I was already taking it and have not experienced any of the hair loss that some have had.
5) Collagen will help keep your skin elastic. IP Blueberry Pomegranante drink mix may be considered a freebie (in that it doesn't count as one of your IP packets for the day) by your coach but even if it isn't, it's a great source. I myself make my own IP compliant gelatin using plain unflavored sugar free gelatin powder and a flavored water enhancer (be sure it is 0/0/0 which means zero carbs/zero sugar/zero fat) with enough water to equal the amount of fruit juice called for.
5) Purge your pantry, fridge and freezer of all non compliant food stuffs. If there are others in your household, now is a good time for them to learn to eat healthily, also. But if they "have" to have snack items make sure it is out of sight from you especially if it is something you might "crave".
6) Get a copy of Beck's Diet Solution" book. It will help you in so many ways.
7) Remember: you are stronger then your cravings.
8) Cauliflower just might become your new best friend. so many ways it can be used to fill in for foods we choose not to eat while OP (on protocol); rice, potatoes, can be made into "tortillas, etc.
9) Pinterest can be quite useful, too, when searching for IP compliant recipes. There are many keto recipes that can be easily tweaked to become IP compliant as well.
10) "Mind over matter" is what will make this way of life successful. You can't look at it as a diet. You can't see it as a temporary way of eating. You will learn how to choose what you eat wisely. IP works; you only have to make up your mind once and for all that it will work for you!

Enjoy the journey!
frawniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Hi Ted! If you like roasted tomatoes & portobellos, try roasting other veggies, or even grilling them on your BBQ which is awesome too.

Well said Frawniemae & Briael! I concur!

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #11  
Mistress of my destiny

S/C/G: 234.6/166.2/154

Height: 5'6"

Frawniemae, you have become very wise in your 47 days with IP. I agree with everything you said!

Good luck, Corileahs. It gets easier to enjoy your veg as your palate changes.
etherbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:40 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 192/145/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Corileahs - Have you started noticing results yet since you said this was getting easier? I was going to reply that I noticed results in the first week so when I went to my weigh in, and it was my TOM, I was shocked that the scale said I only lost .6 lb. I KNEW I lost more but because I was already following a low carb diet (south beach) and my TOM it didn't show on the scale that first week. The next 2 weeks after that were 3 lbs each and then more like 1-2 every week until the last month where it's mostly stayed steady but even today someone at work told me that my silhouette was smaller and lo and behold I did have to go down to the 8P pants that I ordered a month ago.
shasta10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:09 PM   #13  

I'm not sure if I have lost any weight yet, I think so but it might be wishful thinking. Day 3-4 of my first week, my body revolted against me and I threw everything up, which just caused me to be hungry and miserable. I seem to be always hungry...
Old 03-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #14  
Emporium owner

S/C/G: 265/179/160

One of my issues pre IP was being hungry. I would try to eat healthy and have a multigrain roll and a banana or two for breakfast at about 7am, by 10am or 11am I was starving, so I would eat the salad (chicken, nuts etc.) I brought and by 2pm when everyone decides to order from Famous Daves, Melt or Cheesecake factory I was hungry again and often caved. With IP I have one of the packets for breakfast, another mid morning, then mid afternoon, then an evening dinner and I am seldom hungry. I couldn't possibly promise your going to have the same experience, but after the first few days of the program passed my perspective of being hungry totally changed.
Ted Sheckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 PM   #15  
Restarted IP 7/3/2017

S/C/G: 273 / 269.8 / 173

Height: 5'11"

My first time on IP, I puked for three days straight. This time, I just had a first-day headache. The first week is hard, what with acclimating your body, but it does get better.

After the first week, I tend to alternate between not wanting to eat at all, and wanting to eat EVERYTHING!

My solution is to have one of the drink packets if I don't want to eat, and to lightly work out so I can have an extra protein shake if I'm unbearably hungry beyond the capabilities of free veggies.
ImASharkIPromise is offline   Reply With Quote