Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 07:34 AM   #1  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Default Friday Chat - February 6th

Mornin all you AC's!!!

Well, the scale seems to indicate that I've FINALLY undone the damage of my superbowl trough-fest. All is well with the world again.

I'm getting more positive compliments at work, but I'm still laughing at a tongue-lashing I received yesterday froma coworker. Instead of telling me I looked great, etc., she told me that I was doing irreparable harm to my body by losing weight this quickly. Now, I admit that 18 pounds in 40 days may qualify as "speedy", but one look at her and you just KNOW she's sitting there thinking "D***, I wish I could do that!"

I'm thinking of giving up the glider in exchange for yard work this weekend. Did you know that Fitday actually has an exercise tab for collecting maple sugar/syrup/whatever from trees?!?!?!? I need to request that they add one for calories burned by picking cactus thorns and stickers out of your backside. Someone must stand up for those of us in the Southwest!

I'll check in later....
Old 02-06-2004, 07:49 AM   #2  
Baby Steps

The stupid idgets that run our school here have NOT cancelled school. So being a concerned parent I called to see if they WERE going to. Nope, they said the roads aren't that bad. WTF? All around us it's cancelled and ours isn't? So I declared a snow day for the girls. SO no school!!! WOOHOO!! lol
Old 02-06-2004, 08:24 AM   #3  
Total Sass Bucket

Morning all!
Half day of work for meeeee!!!! Woo hoo!
The drive in today wasn't nearly as bad as I had anticipated so I'm in a pretty darned good mood. Have another test in my class on Saturday so will have to start preparing for that.
Sped, congrats on the good news.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:54 AM   #4  
Sha

Brenda... Way to go.. Some times we just have to do what we know is best for our family's. Maybe a lot of parents will do the same, and the school will understand they where wrong.. Have a great day..
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Good Morning Ladies, I only have a second to say YELLO!!!
Have a wonderful day and behave
Old 02-06-2004, 09:09 AM   #6  
Movin' and Losin'

Spedmom: You crack me up! Never having been to the Southwest, are cactus stickers and thorns in one's backside a common occurrence?

Brenda: Way to take authority!

Shimma: Glad the drive wasn't bad and working a half day isn't bad, either!

Sha: Hi! Hope you're having a good day.

Leens: Hi! Hope you're having a good day, too.

Just working today. I'm sure it will be hectic because my boss is such a procrastinator. I honestly don't know how he keeps his job. We are always running way behind deadline. Argh.

I'm going to Kansas tomorrow for a quick visit with my dad. Should be fun, except for the fact that they have over a foot of snow, and it's only supposed to be 24 degrees. I am getting pretty used to these 80-degree temperatures...

Well, I went looking for a size 12 pair of jeans last night at the Goodwill and couldn't find any. (I just hate having to shell out more than $10 for a pair of jeans that I won't be wearing a few months from now.) So, I came home still needing some smaller jeans. I decided to look through my closet, and I happened to find two pairs of size 12s that I had bought when they were on sale, thinking I would be at this size at some point. And, the best part -- they fit!!! Yay!!

Hope everyone has a great Friday!!

Take care,
Jina
Old 02-06-2004, 09:11 AM   #7  
Total Sass Bucket

The friggin teacher's lounge continues to be my nemesis. Monster cookies today made by the sign language interpreter. I remember how they taste.....sooooooooo yummy.

I do have a fairly serious question now though. I'm probably going to do the bike ride for diabetes in death valley again this year. This means putting in a lot of miles on my bike per week. I'm kind of concerned about my carb intake during that time. Should I up the number of carbs that I consume on days when I train? What about for the "big day" which is a 107 mile ride that will take ME like 12 hours (there is a 7 mile hill in there, bear with me on the time). Any suggestions??? I'm going to be starting training as soon as it gets warm enough for me to NOT get windchill riding my bike.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 330/265/175

Morning all!

Busy here at work this week, so I haven't been popping in too much. For some bizarre reason none of the other five students that I share an office with are here yet, and I am quite often the last one here. Makes me wonder if I missed something!

Jina - free flights! Awesome - are there limits on the number of flights you take etc.? Have fun tomorrow with your Dad.

Shimma, well I'm definitely not one that would have an answer to your question about intensive exercise days and what your carb intake should be, but I think it's great that you would do 107 mi in 12 hours!! I think I'd spread out the 107 mi over 12 days!! Actually, the furthest I ever biked in one day was about 70 km (~44mi) and that was in Holland where it is *perfectly* flat (although the wind's a real b****). And my butt was SO sore - I don't know how you deal with that - I didn't want to sit for two days. I guess you toughen it up, eh?

They predicted snow last night for us, but we didn't get any, but they have the 'warnings' out again today - hopefully they'll be wrong again. I love clean roads for driving. We actually didn't get much snow in Montreal in January - only 27 cm (~11in), whereas in south western Ontario, where my family & home-home is, they got 205 cm (~81 in). My brother and cousin are school teachers and out of the 20 teaching days they had in January, 9 of them were cancelled! *sigh* I wish!

Hmmm...I was just re-reading my post, and now I'm thinking that a job with an airline or in education seems to be the way to go for some special benefits!

Good morning to Lady, Sha, Leens & Spedmom!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:39 AM   #9  
Total Sass Bucket

Lekker- The butt thing is probably the largest issue when riding that far. By the time I got to Death Valley the last time, I thought my butt was pretty tough, but it only lasted about7-8 hours. After that, I would get off my bike and not want to sit back down.... EVER!!!! But, ya do what ya gotta do and sit on it and cry while you pedal. Either that or try to stand up and pedal for a while but you don't get that far and it slows you down when you're going down hills... My friend and I got to the point where we got the giggles and had to stop because we were both so sore in the butt!
It's ok though, they have this HUGE party after the ride and I was so drunk that night I don't even remember if my butt hurt at all.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #10  
The Princess O' Pets

Just jumpin in to say Hello and ahve a great day today to all of you!!! Sorry I am outta time otherwise i would give you all a personal "hello"!!!! Got a sick kid today and today is my 1st day up on the floor in the sales dept!!! Yippeeeee training is almost done! THANK DOG!!!

LOve,
Theo'sgirl
Old 02-06-2004, 10:08 AM   #11  
Movin' and Losin'

Lekker: Nope. No limits on the flights. It really is an awesome benefit. I told DH that if he quits working for an airline, I will have to get a job with them. It's so handy to have those benefits, especially with all the family and friends in Kansas. Plus, it's fun to take a day trip to New York City or spend a few days in Vegas. It really, really cuts down on travel costs. Plus, he gets discounts at hotels, resorts and on cruises -- basically anything associated with the travel industry. It is a beautfiul thing!

Hope the roads stay clear!! 81 inches of snow!?!? That is inconceivable to me! Education is a good way to go, too. Snow days, summers off. Sounds pretty nice to me. My dad is a principal, and I always envy his schedule. They are desperate for teachers in Florida, and I've seriously thought about going that route.

Shimma: WOW! I cannot even imagine a 107-mile bike ride!!!

Theo'sgirl: Hi!! Hope your kid gets to feeling better!
Old 02-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #12  
Total Sass Bucket

uh oh... I'm not holding up so well against those monster cookies in the teacher's lounge. It's all I'm thinking about. ACK ACK ACK!!!!
I've been soooo good, but jan is the most fabulous cook ever and I know those cookies are darn good. ugh ugh ugh
Old 02-06-2004, 10:51 AM   #13  
Princess in Training

Morning all!

Shimma, there is a section in one of atkin's books on your question...I also found this:

http://atkins.com/helpatkins/faqs/faqfitness/index.html
Old 02-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #14  
Head Princess

Khem, you and I had the same idea!

Shimma, I did a search on the atkins website for "carb loading" here's a link to the list I got http://atkins.com/global/search-resu...g=carb+loading

Hello everyone! Aside from my own personal happiness at it being friday and being the evil co-worker's last day, I'm feeling sad. I don't know how much you all follow the news, but Carlie Brucia (the 11-year old girl in Florida who's abduction was caught on a surveillance camera) has been found dead. They have already arrested her abductor and for that I'm grateful, but it's still so sad. I've seen the video of him walking up to her, grabbing her arm, and leading her away. I wish she would have kicked or screamed or fought or something. I keep wondering what he said to her. Argh! That poor girl! This is why I want to be an investigator.

Sorry to be on such a downer. I'll be back to perky me later
Old 02-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #15  
Movin' and Losin'

Star: That is so sad! I have been following the story closely since Sarasota is only about a 20-minute drive from where I'm at. What kind of sick, sick man does that to an innocent 11-year-old girl??? It is so sad. I was afraid there was going to be bad news once they found the abductor but didn't find Carlie. I just hate it that people are so messed up that this would ever happen in the first place.
Closed Thread